Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow and Mike Thompson
Official Number: 166657
Yard Number: 1239
Gross Tonnage: 380
Net Tonnage: 142
Length: 147.8 ft
Breadth: 25.1 ft
Depth: 13.2 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
10.1.1941: Ordered. A/S trawler based on commercial GULLFOSS.
11.7.1941: Keel laid.
8.10.1941: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.1239) (“Fish” class) for The Admiralty as BONITO (P.No.T231).
3.4.1942: Completed as a A/S trawler/minesweeper (1-4”, 3-20mm).
1946: Sold to Consolidated Fisheries Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
4.2.1947: Registered at Grimsby as BLAEFELL (GY456). Official No.166657. 650ihp.
4.2.1947: Thomas Rowan Ronald appointed manager.
11.3.1947: Sir John Denton Marsden, Bart appointed manager.
31.12.1954: Sold to The Clifton Steam Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood.
5.1.1955: Grimsby registry closed.
5.1.1955: John ? Channock, Cleveleys appointed manager.
6.1.1955: Registered at Fleetwood (FD40).
28.6.1956: Company taken over by Boston Deep Sea Fisheries Ltd, Fleetwood. (Fred Parkes, Blackpool, manager).
5.9.1956: Sold to B. Gelcer & Co (Proprietary) Ltd, Cape Town.
1956: Fleetwood registry closed.
1956: Registered at Cape Town (CTA387).
12.1956: Registered at Cape Town as BENJAMIN GELCER (CTA387).
Pre 1966: Company sold to Irvin & Johnson Ltd, Cape Town, who became managers.
2.1967: Stripped of all usable parts and non-ferrous metal and scuttled off Cape Town. Cape Town registry closed.
Click to enlarge image
Admiralty Number: 3790
Official Number: 136152
Yard number: 115
Gross Tonnage: 280
Net Tonnage: 113
Length: 125.6 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.7 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by McKie & Baxter, Glasgow
Built: G. Brown & Co, Greenock
21.2.1919: Launched by G. Brown & Co, Greenock (Yd.No.115) (“Castle” class) for The Admiralty as GEORGE GREAVES (Ad.No.3790).
12.5.1919: Completed as a fishing vessel.
3.7.1919: Sold to The Izaak Walton Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Swansea.
7.1919: Registered at Swansea (SA6) (Crawford Heron, manager).
2.3.1923: Sold to Consolidated Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby (John D. Marsden, manager).
30.4.1923: Registered at Swansea as RAGLAN CASTLE (SA6).
9.1927: Owners restyled Consolidated Fisheries Ltd (Sir John D Marsden, Bart, manager).
30.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.631) Mediterranian Command (Hire rate £87.10.0d/month).
21.1.1944: Sold to The Clifton Steam Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood.
31.5.1944: Completed MOWT service.
1.6.1944: Chartered to Government of Ceylon, Colombo.
20.9.1947: Swansea registry closed.
1948: Sold to Government of Ceylon, Colombo.
Official Number: 145723
Yard Number: 776
Gross Tonnage: 299
Net Tonnage: 114
Length: 130.3 ft
Breadth: 24 ft
Depth: 12.9 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Middlesbrough
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough
18.1.1923: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.776) for Neale & West Ltd, Cardiff as OYAMA.
3.1923: Completed (Wilfred Neale, Morley H. Neale & Joshua S. Neale, managers). Registered at Cardiff (CF10).
1927: Morley H. Neale & Joshua S. Neale, Penarth appointed managers).
1930: Sold to Saxon Steam Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (William W. Brierley c/o New Docks Steam Trawling Co (Fleetwood) Ltd, manager).
11.1930: Cardiff registration closed.
12.11.1930: Registered at Fleetwood (FD122).
13.12.1930: Renamed DOROTHY LAMBERT (FD122).
1938: Sold to The Clifton Steam Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (William W. Brierley c/o New Docks Steam Trawling Co (Fleetwood) Ltd, manager).
2.1940: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No. FY.558)(Hire rate £108.7.9d/month).
1.1941: Based Aberdeen with M/S Group 12 (Ty/Sk. G. S. Wright RNR).
3.1944: Fitted out for dan laying and assigned to Operation Neptune – Normandy landings.
23.5.1944: Attached to the 15th Minesweeping Flotilla as a dan layer.
3.7.1944: Operation Neptune ended.
2.1946: Returned to owner after restoration and survey at Fleetwood.
22.09.1954: Sailed Fleetwood for North Minch grounds (Sk. Arthur Peak): fourteeen crew all told.
2.10.1954: At about 8.00 pm in the North Minch having hauled her trawl in fine clear weather and light SSW breeze, decided to change grounds, fixed position as some 10 miles SE of Tiumpan Head and set course SW1/2S for Loch Boisdale; log streamed. The skipper calculated that this course would take him past Rudh Rea at a distance when abeam of 11 miles; and that he had approximately 30 miles to run to Eilean Trodda. Experienced deckhand James Connolly at the wheel and instructed by the skipper “The course is S.W.1/2 S, you are going 25 miles and you will pick up Eilean Trodda. When you pick that up, it is a two flash white light, put it fine on your port bow. In the meantime, you will see Rudh Rea. I want you to take a 4 point bearing of that. There’s 30 miles to go and 28 miles will be getting towards the danger area”. The skipper also added that he was to be informed of the distance off Rudh Rea Lighthouse when abeam and that if Trodda was not sighted at 25 miles on the log he was to be called. At an unrecorded time, when Rudh Rea was 4 points on her port bow, the mate came on the bridge and as required took a 4 point bearing. The reading was 6 1/2 miles but the time was not recorded. Again at an unrecorded time, Connolly was relieved by the bosun, James Wallbank and a young deckhand John Kenneth English was put on the wheel while he took a bearing and went to read the log which read 17 1/2 miles; English remained on the wheel until the vessel took the ground. Again these observations and time was not recorded but the skipper was informed and replied “Thats alright, carry on”. At 12.25 pm four point bearing taken on Trodda Light, log read 27 miles; skipper informed “We are abeam of Trodda 3 miles”. Skipper came on bridge and seeing Vaternish Point light on the port bow, ordered “ Put the wheel hard-a-port” then “Come to SEE” and left the bridge to consult the chart. Upon his return he saw the red light of Trodda, he rang “Slow Ahead” on the engine room telegraph and gave the order “Hard-a-port” and kept it so until he had got the vessel round to a heading of N.E.1/2 N. with the object of getting back as quickly as possible on an opposite course so as to regain the white sector. he did not at that time know whether he was inside or outside the Sgeir na Maol reef. 2 minutes later the vessel took the ground, first scraping over the rocks and then coming fast being some 2 1/2 miles to westward of the courseline. W/T distress call made and rockets fired, with difficulty ships‘ boat put in water. Unsuccessful in coming off using engine. At about 3.30 pm Stornoway lifeboat arrived on scene along with a warship.
3.10.1954: At 8.00 am refloated without assistance and proceeded under own power to Fleetwood.
5.10.1954: At Fleetwood landed 135 boxes/ 20 baskets, £847 gross/£643 net.
29.3.1955: At MoT formal inquiry (No.S.430) held at Fleetwood, the Court found that the cause of the said stranding was an unexplained divergence of the vessel from her intended course due to the faulty navigation of the said vessel by her skipper, Arthur Peak, in that he failed to ensure that a certificated mariner was in charge of the bridge while the vessel was proceeding through enclosed and dangerous waters, and that he further failed to give explicit and unmistakable instructions to those left in charge on the bridge, and to satisfy himself that the instructions he did give were properly understood. Sk. Peak had been cautioned three times since 1946 for stranding ships; his ticket was suspended for twelve months. *
10.1955: Sold to Van Heyghen Freres S.A., Ghent for breaking up.
25.11.1955: Delivered Ghent.
Note * – Final observation by the Court. “In the view of the Court most if not all of the troubles of this case would have been avoided and similar troubles could be avoided in the future if two simple rules were observed. These are: (i) That orders relating to the navigation of trawlers on passage should be entered in writing in an order book; (ii) That it should be the rule in trawlers as it is in larger ships to log times of passing and distance from important landmarks passed on the passage.”
The whole stranding was a mess, it could not be ascertained whether in fact the first plotted position – 10 miles SE of Tiumpan Head was an accurate fix, so they may have been heading for trouble from the start. Bosun held no ticket, nor had he ever fished in the North Minch; the boat was seized in the chocks and plug was not fitted properly; rockets were damp and would not light.
Click to enlarge images
30/01/2009: Page published. 7 updates since then.
17/05/2015: Information updated.
05/10/2015: Information updated.
Official Number: 141959
Yard Number: 579
Gross Tonnage: 257
Net Tonnage: 100
Length: 125.6 ft
Breadth: 23.1 ft
Depth: 12.6 ft
Built: A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Engine: T.3-cyl by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
17.8.1920: Launched by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.579) for The New Docks Steam Trawling Co (Fleetwood) Ltd, Fleetwood as GAVA.
12.10.1920: Registered at Fleetwood (FD380).
10.1920: Completed (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
1924: William W. Brierley appointed manager.
16.7.1932: Laid up for 36 hours NEbyW of St. Kilda with leaking boiler tubes and water in the stokehold. Effected temporary repair and returned to Fleetwood. SEA SWEEPER (FD171) in radio contact.
20.10.1935: Off Barra, assistance rendered by Barra Island lifeboat LLOYD’S.
17.2.1939: Sold the The Clifton Steam Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood.
27.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service and appointed for boom defence duties.
Pre 4.1940: Employed on Fishery Protection (WA/Fort William/Fleetwood).
26.5.1940: At 6.57pm. ‘Operation Dynamo’ (Dunkirk evacuation) put into effect.
27.5.1940: Sailed Fleetwood for English Channel, requisitioned for war service as an anti submarine trawler (P.No. 4.14 ) (Hire rate £83.10.6d/month). As Leader (Sk. F. Day), in company with DHOON (FD438), EDWINA (FD205), EVELYN ROSE (GY9), JACINTA (FD235) and VELIA (FD49).
1.6.1940: At Dunkirk (Sk. F. Day) sailed at 12.24 pm with French troops embarked. At 1.05 pm stopped ship, crewmen, A. Munn, H. Gawne and J. Jones dived overboard to rescue three wounded French sailors. At 6.30pm. at Ramsgate landed 160 troops. (transported 502 troops in total not confirmed).
2.1942: Fitted out as a minesweeper.
9.1942: Engaged in target towing.
6.1946: Reclassed at Liverpool and returned to owner.
24.8.1946: Re-measured 256g 99n.
22.2.1949: Took WILLIAM MANNELL (LO370) in tow after refloating from stranding at Glengad Head, Co. Donegal. WILLIAM MANNELL sank under tow 21/2 miles E of Dunmore Head off Portaleen, Co. Donegal; crew saved.
1.11.1950: Sold to Stroud’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen (George D. W. Stroud, manager).
29.3.1951: Fleetwood registry closed.
30.3.1951: Registered at Aberdeen (A676).
1954: Horace E. Stroud appointed manager.
1956: Went ashore on the Pentland Skerries; part crew rescued by motor fishing vessel ENTERPRISE (WK229). Refloated and towed to Lyness. 1959: Sold to B. J. Nijkerk S.A., Antwerp for breaking up.
31.12.1959: Delivered Boom.
18.3.1960: Aberdeen registry closed “Vessel sold to foreigners (Belgian subjects).”
Click to enlarge images
26/01/2009: Page published. 3 updates since then.
02/06/2016: Minor information update.
Official Number: 139218
Yard Number: 174
Gross Tonnage: 249
Net Tonnage: 96
Length: 123.2 ft
Breadth: 22.1 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Built by Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole
Engine: 82nhp T.3-cyl by Wm. Beardmore & Co Ltd, Glasgow
1916: Launched by Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole (Yd.No.174) for The Clifton Steam Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood as URKA.
2.3.1917: Registered at Fleetwood (FD289).
2.1917: Completed (Joseph A. Taylor & Ernest Tomlinson, managers).
3.1917: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr) (Ad.No.3328). Northern Patrol.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
1924: William W. Brierley appointed manager.
5.1940: On the fishing grounds gutting, cap tally HMS SHARPSHOOTER (P.No.J68) found in a skate.
11.6.1947: On Icelandic grounds off east coast (Sk. Harold Brunton) fishing alongside LOCH HOPE (H220) which on hauling brought alongside mine which exploded killing one man and injurying others. Closed and took onboard seventeen survivors (including eight injured) and landed at Seydisfjordur.
Three injured too poorly to be moved, remaining five flown to hospital in Reykjavik. Thirteen crew returned to Hull in the trawler JUPITER.
1952: Sold to Alvis Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (William Newton, manager).
1953: M. A. Munby appointed manager.
1960: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up.
10.8.1960: Delivered to Barrow-in-Furness from Fleetwood under own power.
Click to enlarge images
24/01/2009: Page published. 5 updates since then.