Official Number: 141959
Yard Number: 579
Gross Tonnage: 257
Net Tonnage: 100
Length: 125.6 ft
Breadth: 23.1 ft
Depth: 12.6 ft
Built: A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Engine: T.3-cyl by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
17.8.1920: Launched by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.579) for The New Docks Steam Trawling Co (Fleetwood) Ltd, Fleetwood as GAVA.
12.10.1920: Registered at Fleetwood (Part I & Part IV) O.N.141959 (FD380).
10.1920: Completed (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
1924: William W. Brierley appointed manager.
16.7.1932: Laid up for 36 hours NE by W of St. Kilda with leaking boiler tubes and water in the stokehold. Effected temporary repair and returned to Fleetwood. SEA SWEEPER (FD171) in radio contact.
20.10.1935: Off Barra, assistance rendered by Barra Island lifeboat LLOYD’S.
17.2.1939: Sold the The Clifton Steam Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood.
27.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service and designated for boom defence duties.
30.11.1939: Returned to owner.
Pre 4.1940: Employed on Fishery Protection (WA/Fort William/Fleetwood).
26.5.1940: At 6.57pm. ‘Operation Dynamo’ (Dunkirk evacuation) put into effect.
27.5.1940: Sailed Fleetwood for English Channel, requisitioned for war service as an anti submarine trawler (P.No. 4.14 ) (Hire rate £83.10.6d/month). As Leader (Sk. F. Day), in company with DHOON (FD438), EDWINA (FD205), EVELYN ROSE (GY9), JACINTA (FD235) and VELIA (FD49).
1.6.1940: At Dunkirk (Sk. F. Day) sailed at 12.24 pm with French troops embarked. At 1.05 pm stopped ship, crewmen, A. Munn, H. Gawne and J. Jones dived overboard to rescue three wounded French sailors. At 6.30pm. at Ramsgate landed 160 troops. (transported 502 troops in total not confirmed).
2.1942: Fitted out as a minesweeper.
9.1942: Engaged in target towing.
6.1946: Reclassed at Liverpool and returned to owner.
24.8.1946: Re-measured 256g 99n.
22.2.1949: Took WILLIAM MANNELL (LO370) in tow after refloating from stranding at Glengad Head, Co. Donegal. WILLIAM MANNELL sank under tow 21/2 miles E of Dunmore Head off Portaleen, Co. Donegal; crew saved.
1.11.1950: Sold to Stroud’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen (George D. W. Stroud, manager).
29.3.1951: Fleetwood registry closed.
30.3.1951: Registered at Aberdeen (A676).
1954: Horace E. Stroud appointed manager.
1956: Went ashore on the Pentland Skerries; part crew rescued by motor fishing vessel ENTERPRISE (WK229). Refloated and towed to Lyness.
1959: Sold to B. J. Nijkerk S.A., Antwerp for breaking up.
31.12.1959: Delivered Boom.
18.3.1960: Aberdeen registry closed “Vessel sold to foreigners (Belgian subjects).”
Click to enlarge images
26/01/2009: Page published. 3 updates since then.
02/06/2016: Minor information update.
09/07/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.
28/10/2019: Updated information.