Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 133200
Yard Number: 482
Completed: 1911
Gross Tonnage: 264
Net Tonnage: 106
Length: 130.1 ft
Breadth: 22.5 ft
Depth: 12.0 ft
Engine: 500ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by C. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull

History

3.4.1911: Launched by Cochrane & Sons, Selby (Yd.No.482) for The Atlas Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby as VOLONEL.
12.5.1911: Registered at Grimsby (GY628).
12.5.1911: William Somerville Letten appointed manager.
15.5.1911: Completed.
1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (Ad.No.849). Based Humber.
5.2.1916: George Somerville Letten appointed manager.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owners at Grimsby.
1923: Re-measured 247g 87n.
6.1923: Sold to Soc. Anon Pêcheries Ostendaises, Ostend (Aspeslagh Frères & A. Deceuninck, managers).
9.6.1923: Grimsby registry closed. Registered at Ostend as NARVAL (O141).
1928: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, Blackpool, manager). Registered at Ostend as KASAÏ (O271).
10.1929: Sold to Soc. Anon Pêcheries Ostendaises, Ostend (Aspeslagh Frères & A. Deceuninck, managers).
1930: Re-measured 264g 87n.
1930: Sold to N.V. Visscherij Maats “En Avant”, IJmuiden (Erenst & Weimar, managers). Ostend registry closed. Renamed EN AVANT (IJM8).
By 1938: Sold to N.V. Visscherij Maats “De Daad”, IJmuiden.
5.1943: With owners permission, requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.1743).
1945: Returned to owners.
1951: Sold for breaking up. IJmuiden registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Vonolel GY628

S.T. Vonolel GY628
Picture courtesy of greenday

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official Number: 146903
Yard Number: ??
Completed: 1917
Gross Tonnage: 288
Net Tonnage: 87
Length: 125.7 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.7 ft
Built: Canadian Vickers Ltd, Montreal, Canada
Engine: 370ihp T.3-cyl by Canadian Vickers Ltd, Montreal

History

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

1.1917: Ordered.
1918: Launched by Canadian Vickers Ltd, Montreal, Canada (Yd.No.) (Canadian “Castle” – “T.R.” class) for The Admiralty (paid for and built under direction of RCN) as TR.26.
21/22.5.1918: Completed and commissioned in Royal Canadian Navy (1-12pdr).
19.12.1918: Paid off and laid up.
1920: Accepted offer of Rose Street Foundry & Engineering Co Ltd, Inverness (Captain D. J. Munro as agent) to bring drifters with trawlers as escorts to UK for lay-up in Muirtown Basin, Caledonian Canal, Inverness prior to sale and possible refit for classification as steam trawlers (The Rose Street Foundry & Engineering Co Ltd letter dated 12 April 1920).
1921: Brought over at The Admiralty’s expense.
1.1926: Still laid up.
2.1926: Rejected offer for all remaining trawlers at £2,000 each (B. Allenby, Aberdeen letter dated 10 Feb 1926).
8.1926: Sold “as is” to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
10.9.1926: Registered at Grimsby as Marie Evelyne (GY398).
10.9.1926: Fred Parkes, Blackpool appointed manager.
14.9.1926: Sold to Fred Parkes (64/64), Blackpool.
21.9.1926: Fred Parkes designated managing owner.
9.1926: Sold to Pêcheries & Armements “La Rochelle-Océan”, La Rochelle.
1926: Re-measured 297g 88n.
2.10.1926: Grimsby registry closed. Registered at La Rochelle.
1936: Laid up.
1937: Sold to Soc. Nouvelle des Pêcheries à Vapeur, Nantes.
1937: Sold for breaking up.

Changelog
27/04/14: Information updated
03/05/14: Information updated

Read / Leave a Comment

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow and George Westwood

Technical

Official Number: 110866
Yard Number: 446
Completed: 1899
Gross Tonnage: 189
Net Tonnage: 93
Length: 108.9 ft
Breadth: 21.0 ft
Depth: 10.9 ft
Engine:T.3-cyl and boiler by Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull

History

1899: Completed by Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull (Yd.No.446) for Grimsby Victor Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby as St. LOUIS.
2.1899: Completed.
25.2.1899: Frederick Baxter Coulson appointed manager.
25.2.1899: Registered at Grimsby (GY1092).
25.2.1899: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Arthur Henry Leslie Melville and Eustace Abel Smith, Lincoln (64/64 joint mortgagees) (A).
14.3.1905: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The Union of London & Smith’s Bank Ltd, Grimsby (B).
18.3.1905: Mortgage (A) discharged.
31.8.1908: Mortgage (B) discharged.
9.1908: Sold to Denmark.
15.9.1908: Grimsby registry closed. Registered at Frederikshavn as Hajen.
6.1910: Sold to Grimsby Victor Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby 1.7.1910: Frederick Baxter Coulson appointed manager.
3.6.1910: Registered at Grimsby as St. CLOUD (GY551) (BoT Minute M9929/1910).
6.6.1910: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The Union of London & Smith’s Bank Ltd, Grimsby (C).
1910: Remeasured 188.72g 93.40n.
20.7.1911: Matthew William Jennson appointed manager.
1913: New boiler fitted.
17.3.1914: Sold to George Fawcett Gibson, George William Tindall and Thomas Whitehead (64/64 joint owners), Scarborough.
17.3.1914: Mortgage (C) discharged.
20.3.1914: Grimsby registry closed.
23.3.1914: Registered at Scarborough (SH30).
16.12.1914: Bombardment of Scarborough by the Imperial German Navy ships Derfflinger, VON der TANN and KOLBERG. At 8.02 am in misty weather as St. CLOUD waited offshore to enter Scarborough to land, the bombardment began. Sk. George Shaw and the mate, Tom Robson were having breakfast when the deck watch informed them that warships were rounding Castle headland. Getting under way and proceeding into harbour, Sk. Shaw ran St. CLOUD straight up the beach alongside the West Pier; the crew all jumped ashore and ran for their lives. By the time the German warships had moved on to Whitby and it was safe to return to the harbour, the tide was on the ebb and St. CLOUD was drying out with her engine still running. It was widely believed at the time that St. CLOUD had unwittingly led the Germans through the minefield which was untrue as U-boats had been watching the fishing fleet come and go for several weeks.
27.1.1916: Sold to The Premier Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
29.1.1916: Scarborough registry closed.
1.2.1916: Registered at Grimsby as St. CLOUD (GY856).
1.2.1916: William Ellis appointed manager.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
3.9.1918: Sold to James Coombes (64/64), Grimsby.
18.9.1918: James Coombes designated managing owner.
23.9.1918: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to National Provincial and Union Bank of England Ltd, London (D).
1919: Released.
15.2.1924: National Provincial and Union Bank of England Ltd re-styled to National Provincial Bank Ltd, London.
22.9.1925: Mortgage (D) discharged.
23.9.1925: Sold to Boston Deep Sea & Ice Co Ltd (sic) (64/64), Grimsby.
30.9.1925: Fred Parkes, Blackpool appointed manager.
11.3.1927: Sold to James Pattison (64/64), West Hartlepool.
11.8.1927; Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Midland Bank Ltd, London (E).
3.12.1927: Transaction 23.9.1925 name of the company is Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd. Amendment to register allowed under Chief Registrar’s Order No. 466 dated 2.12.1927.
6.2.1928: James Pattison designated managing owner.
19.12.1233: Mortgage (E) discharged.
22.3.1934: Grimsby registry closed “Vessel sold for breaking up”.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. St. Cloud GY856

S.T. St. Cloud GY856
Picture courtesy of Jeffrey Pullen

S.T. St. Cloud

S.T. St. Cloud
Document courtesy of Grimsby Reference Library.

Changelog
09/06/2009: Page published. 5 updates since then.
17/07/2015: Picture added.
18/07/2015: Information updated.
23/07/2015. Information updated.

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official Number: 148219
Yard Number: 54
Completed: 1918
Gross Tonnage: 27.86
Net Tonnage: 105.80 (94)
Length: 125.5 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.7 ft
Built: Collingwood Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Collingwood, Ontario
Engine: 480ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Collingwood Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Collingwood, Ontario

History

1.1917: Ordered.
1918: Completed by Collingwood Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Collingwood, Ontario (Yd.No.54 or 55) (Canadian “Castle” – “T.R.” class) for The Admiralty (paid for and built under direction of RCN) as TR10 .
16.5.1918: Completed and commissioned in the Royal Canadian Navy (1-12pdr).
8.1919: Paid off and laid up.
1920: Accepted offer of Rose Street Foundry & Engineering Co Ltd, Inverness (Captain D. J. Munro as agent) to bring drifters with trawlers as escorts to UK for lay-up in Muirtown Basin, Caledonian Canal, Inverness prior to sale and possible refit for classification as steam trawlers (The Rose Street Foundry & Engineering Co Ltd letter dated 12 April 1920). Brought over at The Admiralty’s expense.
1.1926: Still laid up.
2.1926: Rejected offer for all remaining trawlers at £2,000 each (B. Allenby, Aberdeen letter dated 10 Feb 1926).
26.6.1926: Sold “as is” to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Grimsby (Basil A. Parkes, Blackpool, manager).
19.7.1926: Registered at Fleetwood as BONTHORPE (FD104).
1927: Engaged in an experimental trip to Canadian waters (Capt Leslie William Caxton).
6-9.1928: Engaged in experimental trip to West African coast below the Canary Islands (Capt Caxton).
5.1929: Sold to Western Australia Trawling Co Ltd, Perth, Western Australia.
30.5.1929: Sailed Fleetwood for Fremantle, WA (Capt Caxton).
26.8.1929: Arrived Geraldton, WA for bunkers after eventful voyage. Based at Albany, WA using the Town Jetty with Capt Caxton as master. Employed trawling new fishing grounds in the Great Australian Bight. Also fished east of Albany as far as Esperance and made some very good landings.
17.10.1930: Registry noted “Sold out of District”.
1933: Company in liquidation. Laid up at Fremantle with salted boiler.
26.8.1933: Sold to Albany Tug Company, Albany, WA (Alexander Armstrong & Capt Clemence Douglas) for £200. Converted to a tug.
1939: Partnership dissolved, company wound up. Became property of Alex Armstrong, Albany, WA.
27.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service (RAN) as an anti submarine trawler.
10.12.1939: Commissioned in RAN (P.No.FY85).
1941: Fitted out as a minesweeper.
30.6.1944: Purchased by RAN.
17.2.1945: Paid off and laid up.
1948: Sold to Mark Dakas, Broome, WA.
1949: Sold to Mrs Mary Dakas, Broome, WA.
5.1949: Fleetwood registry closed.
23.5.1949: Registered at Fremantle.
1950: Fitted out to a barge tug.
3.10.1950: At Fremantle in 75mph gale, moored in pens, bows driven 15ft into wooden jetty when jetty struck by motor vessel CORAMBA (3551grt/1948) which had broken away from River Buoys. Minor damage.
3.4.1951: Sold to Marine Contractors Pty Ltd, Cairns, Queensland.
17.7.1951: Surveyed after fitting out as a barge tug.
17.9.1951: Fremantle registry closed.
17.9.1951: Alterations to particulars following survey at Albany dated 17.7.1951. 94.06 net.
8.10.1951: Registered at Cairns.
1954: Arrested as firm went into liquidation.
18.8.1954: Sold to Marine Contracting & Towing Co Ltd, Cairns, Queensland.
1955: Laid up at Cairns. Sank at berth and buried under the infill for new sugar terminal at Senrab Point.
4.6.1959: Cairns registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Bonthorpe FD104

S.T. Bonthorpe FD104

S.T. Bonthorpe FD104

S.T. Bonthorpe FD104

Bonthorpe in Australia

HMAS Bonthorpe

Bonthorpe in Australia

HMAS Bonthorpe

S.T. Bonthorpe

5 March 1930 – Capt Leslie William Caxton, Dominic Serventy, and Mate Arthur Shuttleworth
Picture courtesy of The State Library of W.A.

S.T. Bonthorpe

November 1929
Picture courtesy of the State Library of W.A.

S.T. Bonthorpe

November 1929 – Arthur Shuttleworth released cod end.
Picture courtesy of the State Library of W.A.

S.T. Bonthorpe FD104

S.T. Bonthorpe FD104
Clipping courtesy of Geoff Davidson

S.T. Bonthorpe FD104

S.T. Bonthorpe FD104
Clipping courtesy of Geoff Davidson

S.T. Bonthorpe FD104

S.T. Bonthorpe FD104
Clipping courtesy of Geoff Davidson

Changelog
26/04/14: Information updated.
30/08/2015: Corrected caption.
02/08/2016: Images added.
03/08/2016: Information updated.
19/01/2017: Added newspaper clippings.

Read / Leave a Comment

Additional information courtesy of Maggie Law Maritime Museum

Technical

Admiralty Number: 4299
Official Number: 144161
Yard Number: 415
Completed: 1919
Gross Tonnage: 290
Net Tonnage: 127
Length: 125.5 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.7 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley

History

1.5.1919: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.415)(“Castle” class) for The Admiralty as JOSHUA ARABIN (Ad.No.4299).
9.10.1919: Completed as a fishing vessel.
1919: Sold to The Montrose Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Montrose. Charles F. Paton, Glasgow appointed manager.
26.12.1919: Registered at Montrose (ME67).
23.3.1920: Registered at Montrose as RIVER FORTH (ME67).
1922: W. C. Simpson appointed manager.
5.10.1922: Sold to Melling Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood. Henry Melling, Preston appointed manager.
30.10.1922: Montrose registry closed.
1.11.1922: Registered at Fleetwood (FD417).
18.11.1922: Registered at Fleetwood as LENA MELLING (FD417).
13.1.1925: Assisted Liverpool steamer AQUILLA (450grt/1907) in Ramsey Bay flooded and without steam. Towed to safety.
1931: Sold to William C. Farrow (64/64), Hull.
12.1931: Sold to Farrow’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Hull. William C. Farrow & George Altoft appointed joint managers.
17.12.1931: Fleetwood registry closed.
21.12.1931: Registered at Hull (H395).
18.1.1932: Registered at Hull as DE LA POLE (H395).
23.8.1933: Sold to Hudson Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Hull. Archibald Hudson, Hessle appointed manager.
19.10.1933: In strong SSE wind disabled with fouled propeller. Trawler ALMANDINE (H415) connected and delivered Hull.
12.11.1935: Sold to Harry Eastoe Rees (64/64), Milford Haven. Harry Eastoe Rees designated managing owner.
15.11.1935: Hull registry closed.
9.12.1935: Registered at Milford (M195).
1.9.1939: Sold to Henrikson & Co Ltd (64/64), Hull. Olaf Henrikson appointed manager.
10.11.1939: Milford registry closed.
13.11.1939: Registered at Hull (H234).
27.5.1940: Requisitioned for war service and as an anti submarine trawler (P.No. 4.129).
28.5.1940: Hire rate £90.12.6d/month.
6.1941: Fitted out as a minesweeper (P.No. FY.558).
13.2.1944: Sold to The Clifton Steam Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood.
12.1945: Hull registry closed.
13.12.1945: Registered at Fleetwood (FD144).
19.12.1945: Returned to owners after being re-classed at Liverpool.
7.7.1952: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood. Fred Parkes, Blackpool appointed manager.
24.1.1953: Landed and laid up.
1955: Company re-styled Boston Deep Sea Fisheries Ltd, Fleetwood. Fred Parkes, Blackpool appointed manager.
11.1956: Transferred to Milford (W. H. Kerr (Ship Chandlers) Ltd, Milford Haven, managing agents).
4.6.1957: Last landing at Milford.
1957: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Thos. W. Ward, Sheffield for breaking up.
2.7.1957: Arrived Castle Pill, Milford Haven.
29.7.1957: Fleetwood registry closed.
16.11.1957: Breaking completed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Lena Melling FD417

S.T. Lena Melling FD417
Picture courtesy of Frank Pook

S.T. De La Pole FD144

S.T. De La Pole FD144

Changelog
22/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
20/07/2015: Picture added.
07/10/2015: Information updated.

Read / Leave a Comment