Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow and George Westwood
Official Number: 110866
Yard Number: 446
Gross Tonnage: 189
Net Tonnage: 93
Length: 108.9 ft
Breadth: 21.0 ft
Depth: 10.9 ft
Engine:T.3-cyl and boiler by Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull
1899: Completed by Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull (Yd.No.446) for Grimsby Victor Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby as St. LOUIS.
25.2.1899: Frederick Baxter Coulson appointed manager.
25.2.1899: Registered at Grimsby (GY1092).
25.2.1899: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Arthur Henry Leslie Melville and Eustace Abel Smith, Lincoln (64/64 joint mortgagees) (A).
14.3.1905: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The Union of London & Smith’s Bank Ltd, Grimsby (B).
18.3.1905: Mortgage (A) discharged.
31.8.1908: Mortgage (B) discharged.
9.1908: Sold to Denmark.
15.9.1908: Grimsby registry closed. Registered at Frederikshavn as Hajen.
6.1910: Sold to Grimsby Victor Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby
1.7.1910: Frederick Baxter Coulson appointed manager.
3.6.1910: Registered at Grimsby as St. CLOUD (GY551) (BoT Minute M9929/1910).
6.6.1910: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The Union of London & Smith’s Bank Ltd, Grimsby (C).
1910: Remeasured 188.72g 93.40n.
20.7.1911: Matthew William Jennson appointed manager.
1913: New boiler fitted.
17.3.1914: Sold to George Fawcett Gibson, George William Tindall and Thomas Whitehead (64/64 joint owners), Scarborough.
17.3.1914: Mortgage (C) discharged.
20.3.1914: Grimsby registry closed.
23.3.1914: Registered at Scarborough (SH30).
16.12.1914: Bombardment of Scarborough by the Imperial German Navy ships Derfflinger, VON der TANN and KOLBERG. At 8.02 am in misty weather as St. CLOUD waited offshore to enter Scarborough to land, the bombardment began. Sk. George Shaw and the mate, Tom Robson were having breakfast when the deck watch informed them that warships were rounding Castle headland. Getting under way and proceeding into harbour, Sk. Shaw ran St. CLOUD straight up the beach alongside the West Pier; the crew all jumped ashore and ran for their lives. By the time the German warships had moved on to Whitby and it was safe to return to the harbour, the tide was on the ebb and St. CLOUD was drying out with her engine still running. It was widely believed at the time that St. CLOUD had unwittingly led the Germans through the minefield which was untrue as U-boats had been watching the fishing fleet come and go for several weeks.
27.1.1916: Sold to The Premier Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
29.1.1916: Scarborough registry closed.
1.2.1916: Registered at Grimsby as St. CLOUD (GY856).
1.2.1916: William Ellis appointed manager.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
3.9.1918: Sold to James Coombes (64/64), Grimsby.
18.9.1918: James Coombes designated managing owner.
23.9.1918: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to National Provincial and Union Bank of England Ltd, London (D).
15.2.1924: National Provincial and Union Bank of England Ltd re-styled to National Provincial Bank Ltd, London.
22.9.1925: Mortgage (D) discharged.
23.9.1925: Sold to Boston Deep Sea & Ice Co Ltd (sic) (64/64), Grimsby.
30.9.1925: Fred Parkes, Blackpool appointed manager.
11.3.1927: Sold to James Pattison (64/64), West Hartlepool.
11.8.1927; Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Midland Bank Ltd, London (E).
3.12.1927: Transaction 23.9.1925 name of the company is Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd. Amendment to register allowed under Chief Registrar’s Order No. 466 dated 2.12.1927.
6.2.1928: James Pattison designated managing owner.
19.12.1233: Mortgage (E) discharged.
22.3.1934: Grimsby registry closed “Vessel sold for breaking up”.
Click to enlarge image
09/06/2009: Page published. 5 updates since then.
17/07/2015: Picture added.
18/07/2015: Information updated.
23/07/2015. Information updated.
17/06/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.