Official Number: 67122
Gross Tonnage: 39
Net Tonnage: 39
Length: 57 ft
Breadth: 16.3 ft
Depth: 8.6 ft
Rig: Smack/jigger smack/steam/dandy – trawling
Owner: Hugh Singleton, Fleetwood
Built: William Sumner, Fleetwood
1871: Completed by Hugh Singleton, Fleetwood for William Sumner, Fleetwood as EAGLE. Registered at Fleetwood (FD74).
1881: Sold to Mrs Tabitha Leadbetter, Fleetwood.
1882: Sold to Samuel Jones (32/64), Back Sea View, Hoylake & William Jones (32/64), Hoylake (Samuel Jones managing owner). Fleetwood registry closed. Registered at Liverpool (LL??).
7.1981: Liverpool registry closed.
4.7.1891: Registered at Douglas (DO??).
27.1.1894: Re measured after conversion to a jigger smack.
14.8.1894: William Jones died (Will dated 26.12.1894).
18.10.1894: Probate granted leaving 32 shares to Samuel Jones (64/64), Back Sea View, Hoylake.
8.4.1895: Samuel Jones appointed managing owner.
5.5.1905: Sold to Frederick William Rubra (64/64), 174 High Street, Bangor, Carnarvon.
10.5.1905: Frederick William Rubra appointed managing owner.
1906: Sold to William Richards, 174 High Street, Bangor, Carnarvon.
10.7.1906: Douglas registry closed.
7.1906: Registered at Beaumaris (BS57).
1912: Converted to steam 4nhp. Re-measured 22 net.
1913: Owned by Walter P. Hutson, 2 Elm Street, Fleetwood.
1915: Steam machinery removed re-rigged as a dandy.
1915: Remeasured 21n.
1927: Owned by T. Kirkman, Fleetwood.
1927: Register closed.
02/06/2009: Page published. 6 updates since then.
Additional information courtesy of Christine Simm
Official Number: 56682
Gross tonnage: 39.38
Net tonnage: 24.42
Length: 54.6 ft
Breadth: 16.5 ft
Draught: 8.0 ft
Jigger smack – trawling
Aka ‘Black Jack’
Built: George Rigby & Robert Rawstorne, Freckleton
1867: Completed by George Rigby & Robert Rawstorne, Freckleton for William Robinson, Southport as ELIZABETH ANN.
27.3.1867: Registered at Preston. Fishing out of Hoylake.
1.1.1880: Owned by William Hudson, Fleetwood.
24.12.1886: Sold to Mrs Margaret Hudson,
42 Warren Street, Fleetwood.
12.1886: Preston registry closed.
24.12.1886: Registered at Fleetwood (FD130).
7.12.1896: Sold to Thomas Fairclough, 4 Blakiston Street East, Fleetwood. Thomas Fairclough, skipper.
23.4.1907: At Fleetwood Police Court, Thomas Andrews was charged with stealing a quantity of foot rope. Sk David Herbert said that he left the foot rope on the quay side and when he returned it was missing. Thomas Brecknell, marine store dealer, said that the defendant brought the rope into the store and said two men had given it to him. Defendant denied the offence but was bound over for three months in the sum of £5.
25.9.1908: At Fleetwood Police Court, two youths, Edward Lyons and John Shields, who were remanded on the 21st on the charges of stealing articles, valued at 27s from the smack, faced further charges against them. Two charges of breaking into the flat DIANA and breaking into the shop of Mr Haworth, photographer. Both youths were committed for trial at the next Preston Sessions.
8.1.1910: Returning from the fishing grounds (Sk, David Herbert). Lying about three quarters of a mile SE of the Lune Light ship, with regulation lights burning, awaiting the turn of the tide to proceed into Fleetwood. The weather had been foggy but this had cleared and it was very dark. Fleetwood registered L&Y and L&NW railway steamer DUKE of CORNWALL (Capt McBrown) (1540grt/1898) bore in sight and Sk. Herbert lighted a torch and shouted, alerting the crew who came on deck. Seeing a vessel ahead the steamer turned to starboard but was unable to clear the trawler, striking her in the jigger mast rigging cutting the stern completely off. With the trawler settling, the punt was launched but the bung was missing along with the oars, one of the crew putting his thumb in the bung hole to prevent the boat filling. A shovel was found in the bottom of the boat and this was used as an oar. The DUKE of CORNWALL hove to and launched two boats, but in the darkness failed to find the punt. Using the shovel the trawler’s crew managed to get alongside the steamer and were taken onboard.
14.1.1910: Fleetwood registry closed “Vessel totally lost 8th January 1910. Advice received from owner ”.
27/05/2009: Page published.
03/03/2022: Major information update.
Official Number: 73750
Gross Tonnage: 37
Net Tonnage: 23
Length: 56.6 ft
Breadth: 16.3 ft
Depth: 8.2 ft
Rig: Jigger Smack – trawling
Built: John Gibson, Fleetwood
31.3.1876: Completed by John Gibson, Fleetwood (Yd.No.24) for Gibson & Co, Fleetwood as ZEPHYR.
1876: Registered at Fleetwood (FD134).
1.1.1880: Owned by James R. Gibson, Fleetwood.
18??: Sold to J. Wright, Fleetwood.
22.11.1889: Sold to James R. Gibson, Fleetwood.
2.11.1900: Sold to John David Gibson, Fleetwood & Another.
27.12.1906: Fleetwood registry closed. Sold to foreigners (Norwegian subjects).
24/02/2009: Page published.
01/03/2015: Minor information update.
Official Number: 73753
Gross Tonnage: 37
Net Tonnage: 22
Length: 59.8 ft
Breadth: 16.1 ft
Depth: 8.0 ft
Rig: Jigger smack – trawling, drifting & lining
Built: Peter Rawstrone, Freckleton
1876: Completed by Peter Rawstrone, Freckleton for Richard Leadbetter, Fleetwood & others (Richard Leadbetter managing owner) as PROSPERITY.
10.1.1877: Registered at Fleetwood (FD136).
Post 1908: Re-rigged as a Ketch.
12.12.1919: Sold to James William Colley, 85 Kemp Street, Fleetwood.
12.1.1920: Sold to Thomas William Dixon, 38 James Street, Whitehaven & John Shippon, Whithaven (Thomas W. Dixon managing owner).
27.1.1922: Fleetwood registry closed. Transferred to Whitehaven.
23/02/2009: Page published.
18/01/2015: Information updated.
Official Number: 67121
Gross Tonnage: 38g
Net Tonnage: 24
Length: 55.0 ft
Breadth: 15.3 ft
Depth: 8.2 ft
Rig: Jigger smack – trawling
Built: Wm. Huddart, Bransty, Whitehaven
1870: Completed by Wm. Huddart, Bransty, Whitehaven for John Johnson, Fleetwood & others as MARIA.
6.9.1871: Registered at Fleetwood (FD73).
1881: Census at Thornton le Fylde. Edward Wilkinson (38), Fleetwood, Master; Henry Whiteside (38), Fleetwood, Isaac Lloyd (24), Marshside, Thomas Smith (19), Fleetwood, ABs; Richard Wilkinson, Nadlow, Cook.
20.2.1905: Sold to James Johnson, 9 Wellington Terrace, Preston.
1907: Sold to Charles William Pater, 31 Quay St, Whitehaven (managing owner).
9.4.1907: Fleetwood registry closed. Registered at Whitehaven (1/1907).
20.8.1926: Driven ashore and broken up in situ.
1926: Whitehaven registry closed.
22/02/2009: Page published.
24/12/2014: Information updated.
30/11/2018: Information updated.