Tag Archives: Peter Rawstrone

s.v. Hannah Eliza FD8

Additional material courtesy of Ian Wilson

Technical

Official Number: 22654
Completed: 1855
Net Tonnage: 31.78
Rig: Smack
Built: George Rigby & Peter Rawstrone, Freckleton

History

1855: Completed by George Rigby & Peter Rawstrone, Freckleton as HANNAH ELIZA. Registered at Fleetwood (FD8).
1.1.1868: Owned by William Gornall, West Street, Fleetwood.
1.1.1875: Owned by Frederick William Rigby, Preston.
26.1.1881: Fishing out of Ayr. In collision one man lost.
By 4.1884: Owned by Patrick Murphy, 15 Swingpump Lane, Whitehaven. Fleetwood registry closed. Registered at Whitehaven (4/1884).
By 1888: Re measured 23n, coasting.
1888: Sold to Bernard McGeehan, Kirkistown, Co. Down (managing owner). Employed as a trading smack.
22.12.1894: At Maryport (J. McGeehan, Master). In a severe WNW gale Force 9, lying laden with coal, damaged.
27.12.1894: Off Maryport involved in a collision with the Bangor owned Belfast registered vessels, BRIGANTINE C. M. REYNOLDS (50525) (144n/1864) and schooner LOUISA (8173) (59n/1838). Crew of three rescued. Declared a Total loss. Whitehaven registry closed.

Changelog
26/02/2011: Page published. Three updates since then.
21/11/2014: PLN added.
26/11/2018: Updated information.

s.v. Dotterel FD5

Additional information courtesy of Christine Simm

Technical

Official Number: 62951
Completed: 1885
Net Tonnage: 36
Length: 55 ft
Rig: Smack- trawling
Built: Robert Wright, Freckleton

History

28.1.1869: At 11.00 am, launched by Robert Wright, Freckleton for William (“Owd Billy”) Leadbetter and Thomas Leadbetter (his son), Fleetwood as Dotterel.
13.2.1869: Appropriated.
13.2.1869: Registered at Fleetwood (FD5).
1.1.1875: Owned by William Leadbetter, Fleetwood.
24.9.1879: Fishing off the Cumberland coast (Sk. William Leadbetter). At about 9.30am when some 9 miles off the Duddon Buoy, observed a body floating in the water. Hove to and launched boat, succeeded in recovering the body, identified as that of James Scott (33) washed off the smack SYREN (FD5) while trawling to the north of the Barrow Ironworks three weeks previously. The body was left in the boat and towed back to Fleetwood arriving at about 6.30pm.
25.9.1879: At the inquest held in the Crown Hotel, Fleetwood a verdict of “Accidentally drowned” was recorded. The jury expressed a strong opinion that the body, having been immersed in water for three weeks, should have been taken to the mortuary and not taken to the home of the deceased.
1881: Census at Fleetwood – William Leadbetter (37), b-North Meols, master fisherman; Robert Wilson (65), b-North Meols, mate; William Baxter (39), b-North Meols, fisherman; James Middleton, b-Stafford, fisherman; Richard Rimmer (14), b-Fleetwood, cook.
1885: Owned by Thomas Leadbetter (43/64) and Sk. William Leadbetter (21/64), Fleetwood.
7.10.1885: Sailed on the morning tide from Fleetwood for the fishing grounds (Sk. William Leadbetter). When about 3/4 mile beyond the Danger Patch Buoy and standing out on the starboard tack across the Lune, at about 11.50am, the cook, who was at the helm, observed a smack on the port tack bearing down on them. The cook left the tiller and rushed to call out the crew. When the mate arrived on deck the smack INDUSTRY was only a few yards away and shortly after struck the trawler on the port side by the fore rigging. One crew member scrambled aboard the INDUSTRY and the others took to the boat, the trawler foundering in about 28 – 30 fathoms in the centre of the Lune. Both smacks were being helmed by the cook, as was customary once they were clear of the Wyre Light and the crew were below eating.
1885: Fleetwood registry closed.

Note: Rule of the Road – When a vessel is on the starboard tack and approached by a vessel on the port tack, he stands on and the vessel on the port tack gives way.

Changelog

20/02/2011: Page published. 3 updates since then.
12/05/2022: Information updated.

s.v. Prosperity FD136

Technical

Official Number: 73753
Completed: 1876
Gross Tonnage: 37
Net Tonnage: 22
Length: 59.8 ft
Breadth: 16.1 ft
Depth: 8.0 ft
Rig: Jigger smack – trawling, drifting & lining
Built: Peter Rawstrone, Freckleton

History

1876: Completed by Peter Rawstrone, Freckleton for Richard Leadbetter, Fleetwood & others (Richard Leadbetter managing owner) as PROSPERITY.
10.1.1877: Registered at Fleetwood (FD136).
Post 1908: Re-rigged as a Ketch.
12.12.1919: Sold to James William Colley, 85 Kemp Street, Fleetwood.
12.1.1920: Sold to Thomas William Dixon, 38 James Street, Whitehaven & John Shippon, Whithaven (Thomas W. Dixon managing owner).
27.1.1922: Fleetwood registry closed. Transferred to Whitehaven.
1929: Same.

Changelog
23/02/2009: Page published.
18/01/2015: Information updated.

s.v. Excelsior FD97

Additional information courtesy of Gordon Wilson

Technical

Official Number: 68615
Completed: 1873
Gross tonnage: 36
Net tonnage: 25
Length: 57.3 ft
Breadth: 16.3 ft
Depth: 8.1 ft
Rig: Jigger smack – trawling & lining
Built: Peter Rawstrone, Freckleton

History

5.4.1972: Launched by Peter Rawstrone, Freckleton for Richard Roskell, Fleetwood as EXCELSIOR.
2.1873: Completed.
27.2.1873: Registered at Fleetwood O.N.68615.
20.3.1873: Registered at Fleetwood (FD97).
1892: Owned by R. Roskell, Fleetwood.
19.12.1900: Sold to Richard Ashcroft, 54 North Albert St, Fleetwood.
3.10.1921: Sold to Mark Leadbetter, 36 Belmont Road, Fleetwood (managing owner).
14.2.1927: Fleetwood registry closed. Registered at Ramsey. Registered owner Mark Leadbetter, 14 King Street, Ramsey, IoM & others. Mark Leadbetter managing owner.
1931: Ramsey registry closed.

Changelog
05/01/2009: Page published.
14/11/2014: Information updated.
15/11/2019: Information updated.

sv Amethyst – FD107

Technical

Official Number: 68626
Completed: 1873
Gross Tonnage: 34.91
Net tonnage : 24
Length: 56.9 ft
Breadth: 16.1 ft
Depth: 7.95 ft
Rig: Jigger Smack – trawling, drifting & lining
Built: Peter Rawstrone, Freckleton

History

4.2.1873: Launched by Peter Rawstrone, Freckleton for Nicholas Leadbetter, Fleetwood & others as AMETHYST.
1873: Completed.
16.8.1873: Registered at Fleetwood (FD107).
4.11.1875: At Whitehaven in company with, CONFIDENCE (FD121), PETREL (FD59) and SPRAY (LR??). Attempted to leave harbour. Informed by Mr Dawson, collector of dues, that they could not leave until harbour dues paid. As they refused to pay the harbour tug was moored across the entrance to prevent them leaving. CONFIDENCE and PETREL skippers decided to pay, but AMETHYST and SPRAY continued their attempt to leave, one of the crew of SPRAY cut the tug’s head ropes and AMETHYST fell foul of the tug, smashing her boat. Boarded by harbour master and mainsails confiscated.
6.11.1875: Skippers attended at the office of the solicitors to the Harbour Trustees and consented to pay all dues, damages and costs. Sails returned and allowed to sail.
1881: Census at Fleetwood – Thomas Thomason (39), b-Fleetwood, master; John Ainsworth (40), b-Preesall, AB; William Abram (32), b-Banks, AB; Thomas Leadbetter (17), b-Fleetwood, AB; James Wright (16), b-Southport, cook.
1888: Owned by Nicholas & William Leadbetter.
26.11.1889: Sold to Nicholas Leadbetter, Fleetwood & others.
15.8.1890: Reported that during the week lost all gear when trawling on the fishing grounds.
3.9.1908: Sold to Walter Daniel Cowman & William Cowman, 15 King St, Whitehaven.
4.9.1908: Fleetwood registry closed. Registered at Whitehaven (1/1908).
1.1.1920: Owned by Walter Daniel Cowman, 15 King Street, Whitehaven (managing owner).
Pre 1924: Sold to David J. Drysdale, Cloughey, Co. Down (managing owner).
14.1.1924: Whitehaven registry closed. Her remains lay for many years in Castleward Bay, Strangford Lough just below Castle Ward, the seat of Lord and Lady Bangor, and there may still be some pieces remaining.

Changelog
05/01/2009: Page published.
24/10/2014: Information updated.
05/07/2016: Information updated.
25/11/2018: Information updated.
09/10/2021: Updated information.