Additional information courtesy of Christine Simm
Official Number: 67449
Net Tonnage: 47
Built: Robert Moore, Dartmouth
2.1874: Launched by Robert Moore, Dartmouth for Hewett & Co Ltd, London as ARIEL.
17.3.1874: Registered at Yarmouth (YH586).
1.1.1875: Owned by John Hillyard, Gorleston.
6.2.1877: Damaged in the violent gale that caught the Gt. Yarmouth fleet under sail with gear down, causing considerable damage and some loss of life.
1879: Owned by William H. Page, The Whim, High Street, Gorleston and others.
21.10.1879: At Gt. Yarmouth Magistrates Court, Alfred Wood, fisherman was sentenced to fourteen days imprisonment for refusing to go to sea in the smack.
1.1.1883: Sold to Joseph E. Horne, 37 Duncombe Street, Grimsby.
1.1.1888: Owned by Joseph E. Horne, 20 Stanley Street, New Clee.
22.6.1888: Reported sold to John Iddon, 19 Henry Street, Fleetwood and others. At Fleetwood. John Iddon managing owner. Yarmouth registry closed.
1.9.1888: Registered at Fleetwood (FD25).
1897: John Iddon died.
13.8.1897: TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION, by Mr Robert Westby, at the FIELDEN FREE LIBRARY, Fleetwood on FRIDAY, the 13th day of August 1897 at Three o’clock in the afternoon prompt, subject to the Public Sale Conditions of the Preston Law Society, and to such other conditions as may then and there be produced. Lot 3. – The Wooden SAILING TRAWLER; “ARIEL”, of Fleetwood, 46 tons register, 65 feet 6 inches long, 17 feet 7 inches beam and 8 feet 9 inches depth of hold, built at Dartmouth in 1874. This boat is strongly built and provided with all necessary Sails, Working Gear, etc and is at present fishing off the Bristol Channel. Lot 4. – The Wooden SAILING TRAWLER; “BEAVER”, of Fleetwood, 46 tons register, 59 feet 4 inches long, 17 feet beam and 9 feet 31/2 inches depth of hold, built at Brixham in 1869. She is also a fine working boat boat and provided with all necessary Sails, Working Gear, etc and is now engaged fishing off the Bristol Channel. Both boats were managed and owned by the late Captain Iddon, having been thoroughly kept up and are well known as handy and profitable Trawlers. For further particulars as to lots 3 and 4 apply to Mr T. Fisher, Shipowner, Fleetwood or J. H. Nicholson, Solicitor, Albert Square, Fleetwood.
6.9.1897: Arrived Glasson Dock from Fleetwood (Sk. George Fogg) for docking and survey by Nicholson & Sons.
15.9.1897: Sailed Glasson Dock for Fleetwood (Sk. George Fogg).
13.10.1897: Sold to Richard Ashcroft & George Fogg, Fleetwood (George Fogg/J. R. Wright, skippers). Richard Ashcroft managing owner.
1.9.1900: At Glasson Dock.
8.8.1904: Arrived Glasson Dock from Fleetwood (Sk. George Fogg) for docking and survey by Nicholson & Sons.
17.12.1904: Tonnage altered to 24.51net per Certificate of Survey dated 6th Dec.1904.
1914: Sold for for breaking up.
5.2.1914: Fleetwood registry closed “Boat broken up. Advice received from owner.”
05/01/2009: Page published.
26/10/2014: Information amended.
10/08/2022: Substantial update to history.