Additional information courtesy of Christine Simm
Official Number: 20270
Net Tonnage: 53
Length: 66.4 ft
Breadth: 16.4 ft
Depth: 10.2 ft
Built: ??, Littlehampton
1857: Completed, possibly by Henry Harvey & Sons, Littlehampton as ELIZA CHARLOTTE.
1857: Owned by George Goodwin, Kingston-upon-Hull.
30.11.1957: Registered at Hull.
9.12.1863: The smacks fishing in the North Sea suffered much damage in the gale that raged the previous week. Arrived Hull with several sails lost and other damage with smack ATLAS in tow. The ATLAS had been struck by a heavy sea and thrown on her beam ends, failing to right herself as the ballast had shifted. After several hours the crew managed to bring her in trim with severe damage throughout.
11.1869: Hull registry closed. Registered at Grimsby (GY266).
1878: Sold to Walker Moody, Cleethorpes (J. Steer, skipper).
8.1887: Sold to Charles Henry Saunby, 21 Albert Street, Fleetwood. Registered at Fleetwood (FD17). Charles H. Saunby designated managing owner.
w/c 9.9.1889: When trawling some 20 miles west of Barrow (Sk. Kay), on hauling found in the trawl a a piece of crockery in the form of a basin in perfect condition. The inscription on the basin showed that it originated from the paddle steamer HER MAJESTY (??/1843) and must have been dropped overboard from that vessel.
30.1.1890: Owing to extraordinary bad weather, the first landing for some time was made. Along with the smack VIVID (FD57) landed some prime fish which made the following prices:- Soles 1s 6d per lb, ray 5s per basket, plaice 5s per score, haddock & cod 3s per score, grey gurnards 4s per basket.
9.10.1890: On the morning tide the Swedish barque OTTO (214grt/1868) whilst leaving the quay, ran foul of the smack and carried away her masthead.
12.4.1892: Along with smacks GRACE DARLING (FD113) and SEVEN SISTERS (FD23) offered for sale by auction at Jubilee Quay; Mr J. Crookall auctioneer. Good attendance but no bids received.
1895: Sold to Robert Gray, 167 Nelson Street, Belfast & others. Robert Grey designated managing owner. Coasting. Fleetwood Part IV registry closed.
14.10.1895: Stranded Isle of Whitehorn, got off and towed into Garliestown. Very leaky.
16.11.1895: Reported ashore at Innerwell, Garliestown, cargo slates.
1897: Sold to Robert Symington, 15 Newington Avenue, Belfast & others. Robert Symington designated managing owner.
6.11.1900: In NNE gale and rain, out of Greenock with coals for lighthouses stranded Rhynns of Islay.
7.11.19: Reported sunk and being dismantled.
12.1900: Fleetwood Part I registry closed.
25/02/2011: Page published, three updates since then.
17/01/2023: Updated history.