Tag Archives: Ketch

s.v. Valiant FD85

Technical

Official Number: 68167
Completed: 1874
Gross Tonnage: 50
Net Tonnage: 38
Length: 68.5 ft
Breadth: 17.2 ft
Depth: 9.6 ft
Rig: Ketch
Built: John Barter & Son, Brixham

History

Ketch – trawling

1874: Completed by John Barter & Son, Brixham for Richard Perryman Mills Snr, as VALIANT.
1874: Registered at Dartmouth (DH779).
1874: Registered at Brixham (BM??).
1891: Sold to William Wignall, 40 Preston Street, Fleetwood (managing owner).
1.11.1891: Registered at Fleetwood (FD85).
8.7.1904: Sold to James Wright, 25 Adelaide Street, Fleetwood.
11.7.1904: Sold to James Wright, 25 Adelaide Street & William Preston, 89 Bold Street, Fleetwood. 30.11.1905: Sold to William Preston, 89 Bold Street, Fleetwood.
15.3.1906: Fleetwood registry closed “Boat broken up”.

Changelog
24/02/2009: Page published.

s.v. Reliance FD210

Additional information courtesy of Christine Simm

Technical

Official Number:114302
Completed: 1903
Gross Tonnage: 40.41
Net Tonnage: 16.95
Length: 64.0 ft
Breadth: 18.1 ft
Depth: 8.21 ft
Engine: 1925: Converted to auxiliary motor (60hp semi diesel) Re-measured 9n

History

21.,10.1903: Launched by Miss Adela Liver, sister of Mr Arthur T. Liver a director of the builders at Liver & Wilding Ltd, Fleetwood for John Liver (64/64), ‘Brookfield’, Fairhaven, Lytham (64/64) on behalf of a private syndicate. She was christened RELIANCE using a bottle of water from the River Jordan which Mr John Liver had brought back from his travels. Berthed in Wyre Dock by the launch tug Wyre for fitting out .
1903: Completed at a cost of £1,200.
23.11.1903: Registered at Fleetwood (FD210). John David Gibson, 88 York Terrace, Fleetwood designated ship’s husband.
24.11.1903: Shares (16/64) sold to John David Gibson, Fleetwood.
24.11.1903: John David Gibson, Fleetwood, designated managing owner.
27.11.1903: Shares (8/64) sold to Walter Whittaker, Hill Top, Cheadle Hulme.
7.12.1903: Shares (8/64) each sold to Agnes Liver, Frank John Liver and Herbert James Liver all of ‘Brookfield’, Fairhaven, Lytham.
9.12.1903: Shares (8/64) sold to Arthur Thomas Liver, 158 Dock St, Fleetwood.
1904: Tonnage altered to 20.10 net per Surveyor’s Certificate dated Liverpool 28.5.1904.
11.3.1907: Arthur Thomas Liver designated managing owner.
1917(?) : Arthur T. Liver, 4 Clarendon Road, St. Annes-on-the-Sea designated managing owner.
1925: Sold to Mary Ellen Leadbetter, Fleetwood and others (joint owners 64/64).
1925: Converted to auxiliary motor (60hp semi diesel) Re-measured 9n.
1925: Sold to Thomas W. Dixon (64/64), Holm Lea, Earls Road, Whitehaven (managing owner).
24.11.1925: Fleetwood registry closed. Registered at Whitehaven (WA25).
3.1947: Sold to Mr & Mrs William Frank Davison for conversion to a yacht. Along side at Jubilee Quay fitting out for a voyage to either Canada of West Indies.
17.5.1949: Sailed from Jubilee Quay without notifying the harbour authorities of their intentions. They had only 300 galls of fuel onboard and a local skipper who had spoken to them thought they were undermanned for a voyage to Canada.
18.5.1949: An officer from Manchester registrar’s court arrived at Fleetwood with notice of judgement awarded on a £250 debt claim against the Davisons.
27.5.1949: A vessel believed to be the ketch RELIANCE reported anchored between The Brissons and Cape Cornwall. Sennen cove lifeboat (Cox John Roberts) attended to warn the crew that they were anchored in a dangerous position, but assistance was refused and the engine which had seized due to slow running was restarted. At 5.00pm they headed across Mounts Bay. Sighted by Coast Guards at several points along the coast, motoring at about 2 knots, steering erratically. Tried to make for a French port but driven back by strong winds towards Plymouth.
3.6.1949: During darkness and worsening weather, with engine having insufficient power to go against the tide and no sails, driven up Channel and caught in the Portland Race buffeted and swept by seas, went on the rocks at Cave Hole, Portland. Made paraffin flares to attract attention, put on lifejackets and got the raft ready to abandon if necessary. At about 2.00am, when the mainmast went over the side, took to the raft with the intention of paddling down the coast to suitable landfall. A rocket and lights seen from the top of the cliff and seeing what they thought was a lifeboat they tried to attract attention but were carried out a long way. For twelve hours they were in the raft which was swamped continually and in the afternoon nearing the shore, Mr Davison, who had already died, was swept away when the raft over turned. Mrs Davison managed to reach the shore and exhausted, fell asleep.
4.6.1949: On waking Mrs Davison with difficulty got up the cliff side and and was met by the Coastguards who thought there were no survivors.
6.6.1949: The body of Frank Davison (49) recovered among rocks.
14.6.1949: At the Coroner’s Court at Portland a verdict of death by misadventure was recorded on Mr Davison. Evidence showed that he died of heart failure due to exposure and exhaution but that there were no signs of drowning. Wreck investigated by Weymouth salvage team but no hope of getting the vessel off the rocks. Whitehaven registry closed. Total loss.

Click to enlarge image

s.v. Reliance FD210

s.v. Reliance FD210
Picture courtesy of David Slinger

mfv Reliance FD210

mfv Reliance FD210
Image courtesy of Christine Simm

Reliance FD210

mfv Reliance FD210
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
23/02/2009: Page published.
22/01/2015: Information updated.
21/01/2022: Information updated and picture added.
26/01/2022: Added an image.

s.v. Prosperity FD136

Technical

Official Number: 73753
Completed: 1876
Gross Tonnage: 37
Net Tonnage: 22
Length: 59.8 ft
Breadth: 16.1 ft
Depth: 8.0 ft
Rig: Jigger smack – trawling, drifting & lining
Built: Peter Rawstrone, Freckleton

History

1876: Completed by Peter Rawstrone, Freckleton for Richard Leadbetter, Fleetwood & others (Richard Leadbetter managing owner) as PROSPERITY.
10.1.1877: Registered at Fleetwood (FD136).
Post 1908: Re-rigged as a Ketch.
12.12.1919: Sold to James William Colley, 85 Kemp Street, Fleetwood.
12.1.1920: Sold to Thomas William Dixon, 38 James Street, Whitehaven & John Shippon, Whithaven (Thomas W. Dixon managing owner).
27.1.1922: Fleetwood registry closed. Transferred to Whitehaven.
1929: Same.

Changelog
23/02/2009: Page published.
18/01/2015: Information updated.

s.v. Primrose FD234

Additional information courtesy of Christine Simm and Mike Coyle

Technical

Official Number:120060
Completed: 1904
Gross Tonnage: 51.18
Net Tonnage: 39.37
Length: 66.1 ft
Breadth: 18.4 ft
Depth: 8.9 ft
Built: S. J. Dewdney, Brixham

History

25.4.1904: Launched by S. J. Dewdney, Brixham for Stephen Parsons, Mount Pleasant Road, Brixham as Primrose.
25.11.1904: Completed.
26.11.1904: Registered at Brixham (BM235).
28.10.1906: John Donovan (18), apprentice, absconded, caught by police at Slapton and returned.
17.1.1912: Sold to George Tyrer, Berry Head Road, Brixham & Florence Decent, Brixham. George Tyrer designated managing owner.
14.10.1915: Sold to Thomas Hiram Wrigley, Thornlea Bank, Quickedge, Yorkshire.
14.10.1915: Registered at Fleetwood (FD234).
16.10.1915: Brixham registry closed.
5.7.1917: Sold to Grenville Buckley, 42 Bold Street, Fleetwood.
6.7.1917: Fleetwood registry closed. Registered at Douglas (DO75).
1919: Sold to Richard Ashcroft, Devon House, Blakiston Street East, Fleetwood.
1920: Sold to A. J. Turner, Lowestoft.
1920: Sold to James F. Goffin, 125 Clapham Road, Lowestoft & others.
20.2.1920: Registered at Lowestoft (LT779). James F. Goffin designated managing owner.
1920: Registered at Lowestoft as BONA FIDE (LT779).
1922: Sold to John Croft, 88 Paulson Street; Richard Wright, 15 Milton Street; John Wright, 36 Burns Road, all Fleetwood and Ann Smith, Blue Anchor Hotel, Bretherton, Chorley. John Croft designated managing owner.
26.8.1924: At Fleetwood Sessions, five lads aged 14 -16 years were charged with breaking and entering the cabin and stealing two dozen boxes of matches, two tins of Nestle’s milk, two tins of peas, 2lbs of sugar, and !/2lb of coffee, valued at 10s. The lads, who belonged to most respectable parents, admitted having been in the cabin. The Chairman gave them a dressing down and said they deserved to be birched, however, the magistrates bound them over in the sum of £3 to be of good behaviour for 12 months.
1926: Re-measured 50.18g 33.83n.
4.1926: Converted to auxiliary motor – 4-cyl 65bhp Gleniffer by Gleniffer Engines Ltd, Anniesland, Glasgow.
30.4.1926: Re-registered as auxiliary motor.
23.6.1926: Lowestoft Registry closed.
12.7.1926: Registered at Fleetwood (FD93).
3.1930: One of only seven remaining smacks at Fleetwood. Laid up.
1931: Sold for breaking up.
12.6.1931: Fleetwood registry closed. “Ship broken up.”
Note: Not in MNL 1927 or 1929.

Changelog
23/02/2009: Page published.
15/01/2015: Updated information.
05/12/2021: Updated information.

s.v. Polly FD71

Technical

Official Number: 102973
Completed: 1893
Net Tonnage: 48
Length: 67.0 ft
Breadth: 18.0 ft
Depth: 9.2 ft
Built: J.W. & A. Upham, Brixham

History

Ketch – trawling

1893: Completed by J.W. & A. Upham, Brixham for Harry Munday, Brixham as POLLY. Registered at Dartmouth (DH376).
1900: Sold to John T. L. Davis, Milford Haven.
23.4.1901: Sold to William Preston, 89 Bold St, Fleetwood.
11.1901: Dartmouth registry closed.
26.11.1901: Registered at Fleetwood (FD71).
26.9.1913: Tonnage altered to 24.63net. New Fishing Certificate issued.
1914: William Preston, c/o J. Preston & Sons Ltd, Adelaide Street, Fleetwood.
20.7.1920: Fleetwood registry closed. Sold to foreigners (Belgian subjects).

Changelog
23/02/2009: Page published.