Tag Archives: John Croft

s.v. Primrose FD234

Additional information courtesy of Christine Simm and Mike Coyle


Official Number:120060
Completed: 1904
Gross Tonnage: 51.18
Net Tonnage: 39.37
Length: 66.1 ft
Breadth: 18.4 ft
Depth: 8.9 ft
Built: S. J. Dewdney, Brixham


25.4.1904: Launched by S. J. Dewdney, Brixham for Stephen Parsons, Mount Pleasant Road, Brixham as Primrose.
25.11.1904: Completed.
26.11.1904: Registered at Brixham (BM235).
28.10.1906: John Donovan (18), apprentice, absconded, caught by police at Slapton and returned.
17.1.1912: Sold to George Tyrer, Berry Head Road, Brixham & Florence Decent, Brixham. George Tyrer designated managing owner.
14.10.1915: Sold to Thomas Hiram Wrigley, Thornlea Bank, Quickedge, Yorkshire.
14.10.1915: Registered at Fleetwood (FD234).
16.10.1915: Brixham registry closed.
5.7.1917: Sold to Grenville Buckley, 42 Bold Street, Fleetwood.
6.7.1917: Fleetwood registry closed. Registered at Douglas (DO75).
1919: Sold to Richard Ashcroft, Devon House, Blakiston Street East, Fleetwood.
1920: Sold to A. J. Turner, Lowestoft.
1920: Sold to James F. Goffin, 125 Clapham Road, Lowestoft & others.
20.2.1920: Registered at Lowestoft (LT779). James F. Goffin designated managing owner.
1920: Registered at Lowestoft as BONA FIDE (LT779).
1922: Sold to John Croft, 88 Paulson Street; Richard Wright, 15 Milton Street; John Wright, 36 Burns Road, all Fleetwood and Ann Smith, Blue Anchor Hotel, Bretherton, Chorley. John Croft designated managing owner.
26.8.1924: At Fleetwood Sessions, five lads aged 14 -16 years were charged with breaking and entering the cabin and stealing two dozen boxes of matches, two tins of Nestle’s milk, two tins of peas, 2lbs of sugar, and !/2lb of coffee, valued at 10s. The lads, who belonged to most respectable parents, admitted having been in the cabin. The Chairman gave them a dressing down and said they deserved to be birched, however, the magistrates bound them over in the sum of £3 to be of good behaviour for 12 months.
1926: Re-measured 50.18g 33.83n.
4.1926: Converted to auxiliary motor – 4-cyl 65bhp Gleniffer by Gleniffer Engines Ltd, Anniesland, Glasgow.
30.4.1926: Re-registered as auxiliary motor.
23.6.1926: Lowestoft Registry closed.
12.7.1926: Registered at Fleetwood (FD93).
3.1930: One of only seven remaining smacks at Fleetwood. Laid up.
1931: Sold for breaking up.
12.6.1931: Fleetwood registry closed. “Ship broken up.”
Note: Not in MNL 1927 or 1929.

23/02/2009: Page published.
15/01/2015: Updated information.
05/12/2021: Updated information.