Tag Archives: Richard Ashcroft

s.v. Mary FD24

Technical

Official Number: 11787
Completed: 1798
Gross Tonnage: 26.3
Net Tonnage: 23
Built: ??, Maldon

History

1798: Completed by ??, Maldon, Essex for ?? , ?? as MARY.
29.12.1856: Registered at Lowestoft.
By 1860: Registered at Fleetwood (FD24).
1.1.1870: Owned by Hugh Ashcroft, Cop Lane, Fleetwood. Registered at Fleetwood (FD24).
1.1.1888: Owned by Richard Ashcroft, Fleetwood.
6.8.1891: Re registered at Fleetwood as a 2nd class fishing vessel (FD24).
6.8.1891: Re measured as a 2nd class sailing trawler – 13n.
1907: Owned by Charles William Pater, 31 Quay Street, Whitehaven (managing owner).
29.1.1907: Fleetwood registry closed. Registered at Whitehaven (1/1901).
1915: Whitehaven registry closed. Broken up.

Changelog
02/03/2011: Page published.
26/12/2014: Information updated.
01/12/2018: Information updated.

s.v. Primrose FD234

Technical

Official Number: 120060
Completed: 1904
Gross Tonnage: 51
Net Tonnage: 39
Length: 66.1 ft
Breadth: 18.4 ft
Depth: 8.9 ft
Rig: Ketch – trawling
Built: S. J. Dewdney, Brixham

History

25.11.1904: Completed by S. J. Dewdney, Brixham for Stephen Parsons, Mount Pleasant Road, Brixham as PRIMROSE. Registered at Brixham (BM235).
17.1.1912: Sold to George Tyrer, Berry Head Road, Brixham & Florence Decent, Brixham (George Tyrer, managing owner).
1915: Sold to ??, Fleetwood.
14.10.1915: Registered at Fleetwood (FD234).
16.10.1915: Brixham registry closed.
1917: Sold to Thomas Wrigley, Thornlea Road, Quickedge, Yorkshire.
6.7.1917: Fleetwood registry closed. Transferred to Douglas, IoM. Registered at Douglas (DO75).
1919: Sold to Richard Ashcroft, Devon House, Blakiston Street East, Fleetwood.
1920: Sold to A. J. Turner, Lowestoft.
2.1920: Douglas registry closed.
20.2.1920: Registered at Lowestoft (LT779).
1920: Sold to J. F. Goffin, Lowestoft. Renamed BONA FIDE (LT778).
1922: Sold to John Croft, 88 Poulton Street, Fleetwood.
1926: Re-measured 50.18g 33.83n.
4.1926: Converted to auxiliary motor – 4-cyl 55bhp Gleniffer by Gleniffer Engines Ltd, Anniesland, Glasgow.
30.4.1926: Re-registered as auxiliary motor.
6.1926: Sold to John C. Croft, 88 Poulton Street, John Wright, 36 Burns Road & Richard Wright, 15 Milton Street Fleetwood and Ann Smith, Blue Anchor Hotel, Bretherton.
23.6.1926: Lowestoft registry closed.
12.7.1926: Registered at Fleetwood (FD93).
1931: Sold for demolition.
12.6.1931: Fleetwood registry closed.
Note: Not in MNL 1927 or 1929.

Changelog
23/02/2009: Page published.
15/01/2015: Updated information.

s.v. Osprey FD52

Technical

Official Number: 9891
Completed: 1844
Gross Tonnage: 41
Net Tonnage: 25
Length: 64.9 ft
Breadth: 15.9 ft
Depth: 8.7 ft:
Rig: Cutter – trawling
Built: ??, Gosport

History

1844: Completed by ??, Gosport as OSPREY for John Berney Petre Esq, Warwick House, Westwick, Norfolk as a yacht.
1844: Registered at Portsmouth. In his will he had bequeathed the yacht to his good friend and one of his executors, Colonel James Duff, who unfortunately predeceased him.
1885: A Codicil in the Will designated his niece, Lady Mary Duff (Dawkins) Petre as the new owner.
1886: Sold to Penry Lloyd, Glanhenwyn, Glasbury, Radnorshire.
1889: Sold to George Ormerod, Southport.
1889: Sold to Charles W. Pater, 21 Victoria Street, Fleetwood.
8.3.1889: Registered at Fleetwood (FD52).
7.11.1890: In Force 8 NW gale returning to Fleetwood (Sk. James Fogg), observed the Wigtown owned schooner JEAN CAMPBELL (3169) (56n/1844) being driven towards the beach at Norbreck and in distress. With difficulty closed wreck and launched the boat manned by George Wilkinson, James Abram and George Greenall. On reaching the schooner, by now pounding in the surf, took onboard the three crew
members. Returning and when almost alongside boat was swamped and all thrown into water. The only survivor was George Wilkinson. Subsequently James Fogg and George Wilkinson awarded the RNLI Silver Medal for gallantry in attempting to save the crew of the JEAN CAMPBELL. A memorial in the form of a drinking fountain was set up in Euston Park.
16.10.1900: Sold to Richard Ashcroft & James William Fogg, Fleetwood.
21.3.1906: Sold to Richard Ashcroft, London Street, Fleetwood.
1914: Sold for demolition.
2.2.1914: Fleetwood registry closed.

Changelog
23/02/2009: Page published.
08/01/2015: Information updated.

s.v. Red Rose FD99

Additional information courtesy of Martin Pember and Geoff Davidson

Technical

Official Number: 89708
Completed: 1893
Gross Tonnage: 72
Net tonnage: 56
Length: 67.2 ft
Breadth: 18.8 ft
Depth: 9.0 ft
Rig: Dandy – trawling
Built: Thos Watson – Peel Place, IoM

History

1893: Completed by ??, Peel, IoM, for Miss B. Rostron, 90 Withnell Road, South Shore, Blackpool as RED ROSE.
10.1.1893: Registered at Fleetwood (FD99).
31.7.1993: Advertised for hire, by day or week; accommodation for eight persons; fishing gear found.
22.12.1894: In severe weather conditions off St. Anne’s-on-the-Sea, with sails blown away. Picked up by Barrow registered iron steamer ARIADNE (292grt/1856) (Capt. John Jackson) which was standing by the Morecambe Bay lightship which had broken from her moorings and awaiting tug FYLDE (217grt/1881).
23.12.1894: Delivered Fleetwood.
20.5.1895: Reported that when returning home in a moderate gale, with squalls, came upon dandy MILO (FD19) with mainmast broken. Connected and delivered Fleetwood.
6.11.1896: Sold to Richard Ashcroft, 54 North Albert St, Fleetwood & others (Richard Ashcroft, managing owner).
23.10.1897: Registered at Fleetwood (FD99).
19.4.1911: In difficulties near North Wharf. Tug CLEVELEYS (292grt/1902) responded and brought safely into Fleetwood.
11.5.1913: Re-measured and tonnage altered to 57.43gross 24.42net.
4.6.1913: New Fishing Certificate issued.
1915: Same.
1917: Sold to Ernest Tomlinson, London Street, Fleetwood (Ernest Taylor, Knowsley Villas, Victoria Road, Thornton-le-Fylde, manager).
26.5.1920: Sold to George Frank Dunston, 36 Avondale Road, Southport.
13.9.1920: Sold to Herbert Pritchard, 88 Gidlow Road South, Stanley, Liverpool.
1921: Sold to Henry George Prior, 19 Bookham Road, Lowestoft.
5.2.1921: Fleetwood registry closed.
7.2.1921: Registered at Lowestoft as SHRUBLANDS (LT1223).
10.9.1930: Lowestoft registry closed “Broken up”.

Click to enlarge images

Picture courtesy of Fred Bettess

Picture courtesy of Fred Bettess

Shrublands

Shrublands LT1223
Picture courtesy of Martin Pember

17/02/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
30/12/2015: Information updated.
31/12/2015: Added information.
03/02/2016: Minor information update.

s.v. William and John FD162

Technical

Official Number: 45350
Completed: 1866
Gross Tonnage: 35
Net Tonnage: 20
Length: 54.1 ft
Breadth: 16.1 ft
Depth: 8.5 ft
Rig: Jigger Smack – trawling
Built by:John Gibson, Fleetwood

History

1866: Completed by John Gibson, Fleetwood (Yd. No. 8) for Jeffrey Wright, Fleetwood as WILLIAM and JOHN. Registered at Fleetwood (FD162).
1.1.1870: Owned by William Sumner, Fleetwood.
1881: Census at Fleetwood – George Bird (27), b-Hoylake, master; David Herbert (28), b-Colchester,AB; Robert Green (41), b-Poulton-le-Fylde, AB; Philip Kay (29), b-Peel, AB; James Bird (15), b-Hoylake, cook.
21.10.1890: Sold to Richard Ashcroft, 9 Adelaide St, Fleetwood (managing owner).
26.9.1919: Sold to Jane Meadows, 1 Elm Street, Fleewood.
16.2.1921: Sold to John Henry Collis, 35 Carr Road, Fleetwood.
28.10.1928: Fleetwood registry closed. No longer fishing.

Click to enlarge image

William & John

William & John

Changelog
08/01/2009: Page published.
01/03/2015: Minor information update.
02/06/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.