Tag Archives: Ernest Tomlinson

s.v. Red Rose FD99

Additional information courtesy of Martin Pember and Geoff Davidson


Official Number: 89708
Completed: 1893
Gross Tonnage: 72
Net tonnage: 56
Length: 67.2 ft
Breadth: 18.8 ft
Depth: 9.0 ft
Rig: Dandy – trawling
Built: Thos Watson – Peel Place, IoM


1893: Completed by ??, Peel, IoM, for Miss B. Rostron, 90 Withnell Road, South Shore, Blackpool as RED ROSE.
10.1.1893: Registered at Fleetwood (FD99).
31.7.1993: Advertised for hire, by day or week; accommodation for eight persons; fishing gear found.
22.12.1894: In severe weather conditions off St. Anne’s-on-the-Sea, with sails blown away. Picked up by Barrow registered iron steamer ARIADNE (292grt/1856) (Capt. John Jackson) which was standing by the Morecambe Bay lightship which had broken from her moorings and awaiting tug FYLDE (217grt/1881).
23.12.1894: Delivered Fleetwood.
20.5.1895: Reported that when returning home in a moderate gale, with squalls, came upon dandy MILO (FD19) with mainmast broken. Connected and delivered Fleetwood.
6.11.1896: Sold to Richard Ashcroft, 54 North Albert St, Fleetwood & others (Richard Ashcroft, managing owner).
23.10.1897: Registered at Fleetwood (FD99).
19.4.1911: In difficulties near North Wharf. Tug CLEVELEYS (292grt/1902) responded and brought safely into Fleetwood.
11.5.1913: Re-measured and tonnage altered to 57.43gross 24.42net.
4.6.1913: New Fishing Certificate issued.
1915: Same.
1917: Sold to Ernest Tomlinson, London Street, Fleetwood (Ernest Taylor, Knowsley Villas, Victoria Road, Thornton-le-Fylde, manager).
26.5.1920: Sold to George Frank Dunston, 36 Avondale Road, Southport.
13.9.1920: Sold to Herbert Pritchard, 88 Gidlow Road South, Stanley, Liverpool.
1921: Sold to Henry George Prior, 19 Bookham Road, Lowestoft.
5.2.1921: Fleetwood registry closed.
7.2.1921: Registered at Lowestoft as SHRUBLANDS (LT1223).
10.9.1930: Lowestoft registry closed “Broken up”.

Click to enlarge images

Picture courtesy of Fred Bettess

Picture courtesy of Fred Bettess


Shrublands LT1223
Picture courtesy of Martin Pember

17/02/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
30/12/2015: Information updated.
31/12/2015: Added information.
03/02/2016: Minor information update.

S.T. Oona Hall FD23

Additional information courtesy of Adrian Corkill (Dictionary of Shipwrecks off the Isle of Man)


Official Number: 148350
Yard Number: 439
Completed: 1907
Gross Tonnage: 158
Net Tonnage: 57
Length: 105.6 ft
Breadth: 21.2 ft
Depth: 11.1 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Built: Hall Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen


1907: Completed by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.439) for Soc. Anon des Chalutiers de l’Quest, St. Nazaire (P. Creton, manager) as AR-MEN.
191?: Sold to P. Creton, St. Nazaire.
1920: Sold to Caillié & Co, Brest.
1925: New boiler fitted.
1925: Sold to Wear Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Sunderland (James Hall, manager). Registered at Sunderland (SD30).
1925: Renamed OONA HALL (SD30).
1939: Sold to Ernest Tomlinson, Fleetwood (managing owner).
6.1939: Sunderland registry closed.
6.6.1939: Registered at Fleetwood (FD23).
1940: Sold to Richard Bettess, Fleetwood.
28.5.1940: Run down by French auxiliary cruiser VILLE d’ALGER (10172grt/1935) in heavy sea mist WNW of Calf of Man, Isle of Man; one survivor* out of crew of nine. Wreck lies 6 miles W of Peel in 54m.
8.6.1940: Fleetwood registry closed “Vessel sunk”.

Note: The French Armed Auxiliary Cruiser VILLE D’ALGEIR was leading a French Transport, escorted by four destroyers, through the Irish Sea, on passage from Namsos, Norway. She was carrying “Chausseurs Alpins”, French Mountain troops, part of the Allied Expeditionary Force sent to aid in the failed defence of Norway. As the French convoy passed the west coast of the Isle of Man it encountered a sea mist.

Shrouded in the mist and in the path of the convoy, the steam trawler OONA HALL was unawares of her impending doom.
VILLE D’ALGEIR ran the trawler down, drowning eleven of the twelve crewmen, 8 miles north west by north of Peel breakwater. The sole survivor was picked up by the French vessel. He could recollect little of the incident, being asleep when the crash came. Instinctively rushing for the openness of the deck he was knocked senseless by something unseen. He only regained consciousness when he was pulled from the sea.

03/01/2009: Page published. 5 updates since then.

s.v. Livonia FD65


Official Number: 67441
Launched: 1873
Gross Tonnage: 53
Net Tonnage: 33
Length: 68.7 ft
Breadth: 18.8 ft
Depth: 9.0 ft
Rig: Dandy – trawling & lining
Built: Smith & Sons, Great Yarmouth


1873: Completed by Smith & Sons, Great Yarmouth for their own account as LIVONIA.
1873: Registered at Gt. Yarmouth (YH576).
1.1.1875: Owned by Samuel Smith, Gt. Yarmouth.
1878: Sold to Cutter & Co, Gt. Yarmouth.
1.1.1880: Owned by The Gt. Yarmouth Steam Trawling & Carrying Co Ltd, 60 South Quay, Gt. Yarmouth.
1881: Sold to Smith & Sons, Gt. Yarmouth.
1.1.1883: Owned by Frank Leleu, 112 Lower Thomas Street, City, London.
1883: Sold to William F. Leleu, Gt. Yarmouth.
1891: Sold to Richard C. Ward, 12 Alfred Terrace, Fleetwood & another (managing owner).
8.1891: Gt. Yarmouth registry closed.
2.9.1891: Registered at Fleetwood (FD65).
3.3.1897: Sold to ??.
2.6.1904: Sold to William Preston, Adelaide St, Fleetwood (managing owner).
6.10.1908: Tonnage altered to 24.46net. New Fishing Certificate issued.
21.11.1916: Sold to Ernest Tomlinson, Manor Road, Fleetwood (Ernest Taylor, London Street, Fleetwood, manager).
4.4.1923: Sold to James E. Sellers, 56 Carr Road, Fleetwood, later 49 Poulton Road, Fleetwood.
1930: Sold for demolition.
17.10.1930: Fleetwood registry closed “Broken up”.

26/12/2008: Page published.
12/12/2014: Information updated.