Additional information courtesy of David Scrivener, Mike Thompson & Barry Johnson Milford Trawlers
Admiralty Number: 3509
Official Number: 143965
Yard Number: 670
Gross Tonnage: 276
Net Tonnage: 107
Length: 125.5 ft
Breadth: 23.4 ft
Depth: 12.8 ft
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough
Engine: 480ihp T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough
Boiler: Palmers Shipbuilding & Iron Co Ltd, Jarrow
9.3.1917: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.670) (“Castle” class) for The Admiralty as PETER LOVITT (Ad.No.3509).
19.5.1917: Completed (1-12pdr and W/T).
1919: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part I) as PETER LOVETT O.N.143965. Engaged in commercial trawling.
12.1.1919 – 22 .07.1919: Landing at Milford.
2.1920: At HM Dockyard, Pembroke fitted out for fishing under Special Survey of Lloyd’s Register and classed 100 A1 Stm Trawler at Milford.
3.2.1920: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part IV) (LO300).
5.3.1920: First landing at Milford. At a date between 18.5.1920 – 18.6.1920: Allocated to Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries, London.
13.8.1920: Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London registered.
1920: Allocated to the Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London.
08.03.1921: Last landing at Milford (Last of 32 landings at the port). Possibly laid up.
01.1922: Scheme abandoned, the necessary working capital of £100,000 having not been subscribed.
23.1.1922: Sold to William Preston, Fleetwood.
28.1.1922: London registry closed.
31.1.1922: Registered at Fleetwood (FD398).
22.2.1922: Sold to Robson Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Robson Preston, manager).
12.10.1932: Homeward in heavy weather seven miles SE of Maughold Head, Isle of Man, sighted wooden steam “coaster” GIRL MAY (81grt/1907) (ex steam drifter (FR473/GK89)) on passage Ayr – Salcombe with coal, in distress with engine room flooded. In darkness, Sk. Fred Chard launched the boat and with a volunteer crew succeeded in rescuing the seven crew members * before the vessel foundered.
13.10.1932: Survivors landed at Fleetwood.
1934: Sold to Shields Engineering & Dry Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Thomas S. Read, manager).
21.2.1934: Fleetwood registry closed.
22.2.1934: Registered at North Shields (SN14).
24.7.1935: Registered at North Shields as LOWDOCK (SN14).
10.1939: Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull appointed managers.
16.10.1939: Kingston sent crew to North Shields to bring trawler to Hull.
17.10.1939: Sailed North Shields for Hull, fishing on the way.
3.11.1939: Arrived off Immingham short of bunker coal, towed to Hull. Landed 287kits, £865 gross.
1.12.1939: Sailed Hull for Aberdeen in convoy then fishing grounds.
16.12.1939: At Hull landed 300kits, £954 gross – 15 days.
3.1.1940: At Hull landed 251kits, £679 gross – 16 days.
26.1.1940: Sailed Hull in convoy for northern grounds.
8.2.1940: Return convoy sailed Methil for Hull (Sk. J. W. Moore).
At 11.15 a.m. 21/2 miles E of Scarborough attacked by German aircraft with machine guns and bombs. One aircraft hit with Ross rifle and retired, other (Dornier 17E) dropped over twenty bombs, the final one lifting the stern out of the water and damaging telegraphs, steering gear, wireless and DF; no casualties.
10.2.1940: At Hull landed 304kits, £688 gross – 17 days.
12.2.1940: Requisitioned for war service. Slipped at Hull for survey but rejected. On unslipping water ingress observed in stokehold. Slipped again and rivets caulked.
15.2.1940: Owners requested information regarding vessel and advised a profit of £550. Convoy system restrictive, decided to move vessel to Fleetwood.
16.2.1940: Sk. F. Brunton, Fleetwood appointed. Repaired and returned to service.
16.3.1940: Sailed Hull on passage to Fleetwood (Sk. F. Brunton).
19.3.1940: When 5 miles E of Tod Head, in collision with HMTrawler LADY PHILOMENA (H230/P.No.FY.148) which struck her port side aft in way of the gallows; vessel foundered and eleven crew lost(ø), mate (on watch) Thurston Atkinson survived. Certificate of registry lost with vessel.
28.3.1940: Owners informed BoT of her loss.
30.3.1940: Shields registry closed.
2006: The position of the wreck is 56°47N. 002°10W sitting in about 60m on an even keel. Bow faces in towards the shore and port side faces towards Montrose estuary, in consequence her port side has built up to approx 8 ft from gunwale, starboard side clean.
(Peter Lovitt (aka Lovett), Quartermaster, age 42, b. Aldeborough, Suffolk – VICTORY (SB532))
(* Crew of Girl May – Capt. A. T. F. Morgan; A. Vallely, Mate; A. Caracan, 2nd mate; W. Hagan, Chief engineer; W. Burns, 2nd engineer; J. Vallely and J. Reid, deckhands, all crew from Glasgow or Clydebank.
(ø) Lost crew of Lowdock – Skipper Frank H Brunton (32), Bosun H D Waring (42), Ch Eng. William Baker (55), 2nd Eng. H C Benson (53), J Bell (59) and D Scannell (42), Firemen, W Harrison (21), A Paton (50), W Cartmell (42), J H Scott (48), and A Whitehead (52), Deckhands, all from Fleetwood).
Click to enlarge image
S.T. Peter Lovett FD388
Picture courtesy of The Fred Baker Collection
28/04/14: Updated information.
02/07/2015: Updated information.
14/07/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
14/10/2019: Updated wreck position.