Captain Cap information courtesy of Jean-Paul and Annie Chesné
Official Number: 127580
Net Tonnage: 23
Length: 76 ft
Rig: Dandy – trawling
Built: J & J Armour, Fleetwood
1910: Completed by Armour Bros, Fleetwood for Thomas Rigby, Adelaide Street, Fleetwood & others as LOUIE RIGBY.
26.11.1910: Registered at Fleetwood (FD127).
1911: Sold to William Preston, Adelaide St, Fleetwood (managing owner).
1921: Sold to Mrs Grace A. E. Cookman, Carbery Lodge, Ascot, Berks (John G. Cookman, manager).
7.1921: Transferred to fish from Milford.
18.6.1923: On Southern Irish coast grounds, stood by Milford smack MINNIE (BM90) (51grt/1904)(Sk.Willard Richards), on fire in hold. Fire could not be contained. MINNIE attempted to run on to the Blackwater Bank off Wexford. Abandoned and crew picked up, vessel foundered shortly afterwards.
9.1923: Dismasted and in distress in heavy seas. Attended by Fleetwood steam trawler SOAR (FD155), connected and towed (18 hours) to Milford Haven.
5.9.1930: Fleetwood registry closed. No longer fishing.
1935: Sold for conversion to a yacht.
1958: Further converted and renamed CAPTAIN CAP.
1962: Owned by Alain Bombard. Prepared for scientific expedition to the Mediterrenian – Sicily.
1970: Picked up abandoned schooner off Florida coast, towed for 72 hours and delivered safely.
6.1973: Advertised for sale in West Indies.
1975-76: Sold to D. Valin, Fort de France. Martinique for £129,365. Sailed from Grenada to Martinique. Operated by Martinique Charter et Services, Fort de France on day charters- 60 pax.
8.1979: In hurricane David grounded on coral in Fort de France Bay. Refloated by Travaux Sous-Marins Martinique (Jean-Paul Chesné) and returned to service.
8.1980: In hurricane Allen grounded on beach in Fort de France Bay. Refloated by Travaux Sous-Marins Martinique (Jean-Paul Chesné) with no damage.
1980: Sold to Travaux Sous-Marine Martinique, Fort de France, Martinique. After survey by French Marine Marchande (FMM) continued with day charter work.
1982: FMM surveyor required complete re-decking; completed in two weeks.
1983: FMM srveyor required new rudder; fabricated in steel.
1984: After four years charter work (10,000 pax/year) vessel for sale. Sold to French owners owners in Grenada.
1986-87: Foundered after striking a reef in The Grenadines.
Click to enlarge images
18/02/2009: Page published: 8 updates since then.
29/05/2016: Picture added.