Tag Archives: William Wignall

s.v. Elizabeth and Emma FD6

Additional information courtesy of Christine Simm and Gary Hicks Plymouth Merchant Ships

Technical

Official Number: 17227
Net Tonnage: 33n (35 tons burthen)
Length: 42’
Breadth: 14’ 91/2”
Depth: 7’
Rig: Smack (sloop rigged)

History

8.4.1830: Launched at Plymouth, builder not recorded, for John Gambell Jnr (64/64), Plymouth as ELIZABETH & EMMA.
24.4.1830: Registered at Plymouth. Trading coastwise.
26.9.1834: Sailed Plymouth for Roscoff (Macey, master).
12.6.1835: Sailed Plymouth for Roscoff (Macey, master).
23.6.1835: Arrived Plymouth from Roscoff (Macey, master).
13.5.1840: Re-measured 41.7 x 12.7 x 6.85 feet 26 tons burthen.
13.5.1840: Register closed and re-registered following re-measurement.
13.8.1844: Strong SW breeze, heavy rain, put in to Plymouth on passage Roscoff for Looe (Macey, master).
29.1.1850: Sold to George Hall (64/64), Manchester (Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Co Ltd, Manchester). Capt Rode, manager. Transferred to Fleetwood.
8.5.1850: Landed at Fleetwood, sailed same day for fishing grounds.
23.7.1850: Plymouth registry closed.
23.7.1850: Registered at Fleetwood.
12.5.1851: Sailed Fleetwood for fishing grounds.
13.6.1852: Landed at Fleetwood.
20.11.1854: Reregistered at Fleetwood O.N.17227.
7.2.1860: In a very congested port of Fleetwood. At about 10.00pm, nearly two hours before high water and a very high spring tide flowing, the wind had increased to gale force. During a heavy squall, the Liverpool registered ship REFUGE (803tons/1851), from New Orleans cotton laden and moored to the quay with strong lines, parted her stern ropes and swung round starting a series of mishaps which saw many vessels adrift and damaged. The fishing boats faired very badly, rails, topmasts, waists, spars and other fittings being broken and carried away. Bulwarks damaged and stanchions carried away. Estimated damage to ships in the harbour between £2,000 and £3,000.
17.5.1864: Re-measured 33.65 tons.
17.5.1864: Re-registered at Fleetwood following re-measurement.
24.5.1865: When some ten miles from Fleetwood at about 12.30pm, James Wilson the skipper sighted a body floating in the water. The body was that of a man and was taken onboard, brought into Fleetwood and taken to the Steamer Hotel. The body had been in the water four or five months and there was speculation that it was a body from the Confederate States paddle warship LELIE (1864) which had foundered some 10 miles off Hilbre Point, Wirral on 14 January, Liverpool for Bermuda, with great loss of life. It was also surmised that the man might be Mr. Thomas Miller whose family had offered a reward for recovery of the body. However, from the description and from the number on his Lever Hunting Watch it was presumed to be that of Captain Sinclair of the Confederate States Army.
2.6.1865: At the inquest the body was formally identified as that of Captain Sinclair.
1867: Registered at Fleetwood (FD6).
By 1865: Owned by F. W. Rigby, Preston.
9.3.1871: The tide was very high at Fleetwood and the strong SW wind caused the current in the river after high water to be very rapid and rough. The punt, with a man in it, broke away from the smack, and was carried out of the harbour at a good rate watched by many spectators. Fortunately the paddle tug WYRE (165grt/1862) had attended pontoons that had also broken away and was able to follow the punt out into the bay and succeeded in picking up the man, though the task was difficult on account of the rough sea. The punt was left adrift.
1874: Sold to William Wignall, Fleetwood.
31.3.1876; Reported that at Fleetwood Magistrates Court, Matthew Sumner, an old fisherman, brought an action to recover the sum of £2 16 9d from defendant John Wignall instead of William Wignall. William Wignall who was in court came forward and consented to the case proceeding without his being summoned. The plaintiff said that he was engaged as captain of the smack by the defendant at 4s per week as wages for the fourteen weeks from 25 September to 31 December. When he went to the smack she was unseaworthy and power was given to him to put things right. Accordingly he obtained tackle from Mr Cox but nothing that was not necessary. The defendant said that no agreement was made and he objected to pay the wages as he got the boat in debt and left with only five minutes warning. William Ashcroft said that Sumner was previously in one of his smacks and received £10 8s /year in addition to his share. William Hudson said the plaintiff was allowed to go to the smack on condition that he was paid what he was worth, however, he got the smack £15 in debt. The usual pay was 2s per week. The court adjudged that they could not admit that because the plaintiff had got the boat in debt he should not be paid his wages and
accordingly they would allow 2s per week – Verdict for the plaintiff for £1 8s.
27.2.1881: At Fleetwood laid alongside the schooner EMILY WARBRICK (167grt/1872) (W. Bond, master). Both vessels had cabin broken into and clothing and other goods stolen. Skipper William Wignall had two coats taken. Thieves not apprehended.
28.11.1884: THE FISHING SMACK, “ELIZABETH AND EMMA” of and at Fleetwood, with all gear. Must be sold. No reserve – Apply to AMER and Co, Accountants, Fleetwood.
16.1.1885: Sold to Mr William Hudson for the sum of £11.
16.6.1886: Fleetwood registry closed “Condemned at Fleetwood”.

Changelog
14/01/2014: Page added.
11/11/2014: Information updated.
23/03/2015: Added information.
26/01/2023: Updated history.

s.v. Valiant FD85

Technical

Official Number: 68167
Completed: 1874
Gross Tonnage: 50
Net Tonnage: 38
Length: 68.5 ft
Breadth: 17.2 ft
Depth: 9.6 ft
Rig: Ketch
Built: John Barter & Son, Brixham

History

Ketch – trawling

1874: Completed by John Barter & Son, Brixham for Richard Perryman Mills Snr, as VALIANT.
1874: Registered at Dartmouth (DH779).
1874: Registered at Brixham (BM??).
1891: Sold to William Wignall, 40 Preston Street, Fleetwood (managing owner).
1.11.1891: Registered at Fleetwood (FD85).
8.7.1904: Sold to James Wright, 25 Adelaide Street, Fleetwood.
11.7.1904: Sold to James Wright, 25 Adelaide Street & William Preston, 89 Bold Street, Fleetwood. 30.11.1905: Sold to William Preston, 89 Bold Street, Fleetwood.
15.3.1906: Fleetwood registry closed “Boat broken up”.

Changelog
24/02/2009: Page published.

s.v. Margaret FD81

Technical

Official Number: 67132
Completed: 1872
Gross Tonnage: 45
Net Tonnage: 25
Rig: Cutter sloop rigged – trawling
Built: ??, Plymouth

History

1872: Completed by ??, Plymouth as MARGARET
1972: Registered at Fleetwood (FD81).
1.1.1875: Owned by William Leech, Fleetwood.
1.1.1880: Owned by William Wignall, Fleetwood.
24.12.1886: Sold to Mrs Margaret Hudson, 49 Warren Street, Fleetwood.
1896: Sold to James Armour, Fleetwood.
1897: Fleetwood registry closed “Vessel sold to Danish subjects (Iceland)”.

Changelog
22/02/2009: Page published. 5 revisions since then.
15/12/2014: Information updated.