S.T. Lena Melling (2) FD417

Additional information courtesy of Andy Hall and Maggie Law Maritime Museum

Technical

Admiralty Number: 4299
Official Number: 144161
Yard Number: 415
Completed: 1919
Gross Tonnage: 290
Net Tonnage: 127
Length: 125.5 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.7 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley

History

1.5.1919: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.415)(“Castle” class) for The Admiralty as JOSHUA ARABIN (Ad.No.4299).
26.8.1919: The Admiralty (Director of Contracts) letter giving Charles F. Paton, Glasgow the option to purchase twelve steam trawlers at a price of £182,000.
9.10.1919: Completed as a fishing vessel.
21.10.1919: Option transferred by Charles F Paton to The Montrose Fishing Co Ltd.
1919: Sold to The Montrose Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Montrose. Charles F. Paton, Glasgow designated manager.
26.12.1919: Registered at Montrose (Part I & IV) as JOSHUA ARABIN O.N.144161 (ME67).
23.3.1920: Registered at Montrose as RIVER FORTH (ME67).
26.8.1921: Extraordinary general meeting called for the purpose of considering resolutions for the voluntary winding-up of the company, and the selling, by the liquidators, of the business and property of the company to a new company proposed to be formed with a name nearly as may be the same as that of the present company. Further finance to be arranged. Vessels laid up.
9.1921: Some vessels returned to fishing. Harry A. Holmes, Aberdeen designated manager.
10.5.1922: Extraordinary general meeting of the Company has been called in Edinburgh to consider the voluntary winding-up of the Company as, in the words of the resolution submitted, it ” cannot, by reason of its liabilities, continue its business.”
10.5.1922: Company in voluntary liquidation; deficit about £100,000. Mr James Winning, chartered accountant, Glasgow appointed liquidator on advice of National Bank of Scotland Ltd the largest secured creditor.
5.10.1922: Sold by the liquidator to Melling Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood. Henry Melling, Preston appointed manager.
30.10.1922: Montrose registry closed.
1.11.1922: Registered at Fleetwood (FD417).
18.11.1922: Registered at Fleetwood as LENA MELLING (FD417).
13.1.1925: Assisted Liverpool steamer AQUILLA (450grt/1907) in Ramsey Bay flooded and without steam. Towed to safety.
1931: Sold to William C. Farrow (64/64), Hull.
12.1931: Sold to Farrow’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Hull. William C. Farrow & George Altoft designated joint managers.
17.12.1931: Fleetwood registry closed.
21.12.1931: Registered at Hull (H395).
18.1.1932: Registered at Hull as De La POLE (H395).
23.8.1933: Sold to Hudson Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Hull. Archibald Hudson, Hessle designated manager.
19.10.1933: In strong SSE wind disabled with fouled propeller. Trawler ALMANDINE (H415) connected and delivered Hull.
12.11.1935: Sold to Harry Eastoe Rees (64/64), Milford Haven. Harry Eastoe Rees designated managing owner.
15.11.1935: Hull registry closed.
9.12.1935: Registered at Milford (M195).
1.9.1939: Sold to Henrikson & Co Ltd (64/64), Hull. Olaf Henrikson designated manager.
10.11.1939: Milford registry closed.
13.11.1939: Registered at Hull (H234).
27.5.1940: Requisitioned for war service and as an anti submarine trawler (P.No. 4.129).
28.5.1940: Hire rate £90.12.6d/month.
6.1941: Fitted out as a minesweeper (P.No. FY.558).
13.2.1944: Sold to The Clifton Steam Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood.
12.1945: Hull registry closed.
13.12.1945: Registered at Fleetwood (FD144).
19.12.1945: Returned to owners after being re-classed at Liverpool.
7.7.1952: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood. Fred Parkes, Blackpool designated manager.
24.1.1953: Landed and laid up.
1955: Company re-styled Boston Deep Sea Fisheries Ltd, Fleetwood. Fred Parkes, Blackpool appointed manager.
11.1956: Transferred to Milford (W. H. Kerr (Ship Chandlers) Ltd, Milford Haven, managing agents).
4.6.1957: Last landing at Milford.
1957: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Thos. W. Ward, Sheffield for breaking up.
2.7.1957: Arrived Castle Pill, Milford Haven.
29.7.1957: Fleetwood registry closed.
16.11.1957: Breaking completed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Lena Melling FD417

S.T. Lena Melling FD417

S.T. Lena Melling FD144

S.T. Lena Melling FD144
Picture courtesy of The James Cullen Collection

S.T. De La Pole FD144

S.T. De La Pole FD144
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
22/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
20/07/2015: Picture added.
07/10/2015: Information updated.
20/04/2017: Removed disputed image and added another.
08/01/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
20/04/2018: Updated information.

Leave A Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.


Hit Counter provided by criminal attorney Orange County
Fight Spam! Click Here!