S.T. Lois (2) FD424
Official Number: 143469
Yard Number: 357
Gross Tonnage: 286
Net Tonnage: 112
Length: 130 ft
Breadth: 23 ft
Depth: 13.1 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley
Ordered by Great Grimsby & East Coast Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby as the CORINTHIA purchased by The Admiralty on the stocks.
30.1.1917: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.357) (non standard “Mersey” class) for The Admiralty as JOHN APPLEBY (Ad.No.3612).
25.5.1917: Completed (1 – 12pdr, Hydro and W/T).
1919: Registered by The Admiralty in the Registry of British Ships at London.
3.2.1920: Registered by The Admiralty as a fishing vessel at London (LO286).
1.1923: Sold to Fleetwood Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (George E. J. Moody, Grimsby, manager). Fishing from Fleetwood.
18.1.1923: London registry closed.
19.1.1923: Registered at Fleetwood (FD424).
22.2.1923: Renamed LOIS (FD424).
1926: Sir George E. J. Moody, Grimsby appointed manager.
1938: Will B. Moody, Grimsby appointed manager. William Moody Kelly, Fleetwood, managing agent.
20.11.1939: Off Tory Island, Co. Donegal picked up crew of SEA SWEEPER (FD171) stopped by U-boat (U.33) and sunk by gunfire.
27.2.1940: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No. FY.781) (Hire rate £83.8.4d/month).
31.11.1944: Returned to owner.
30.12.1946: Sailed Fleetwood for Icelandic grounds (Sk. George Smith); fifteen crew.
5.1.1947: Wrecked at Grindavik, south west coast of Iceland in severe weather. Crew* rescued by breeches buoy but skipper lost.
21.1.1947: Fleetwood registry closed “Total Loss”.
Click to enlarge image