Tag Archives: Alvis Trawlers Ltd

S.T. Dunnet LO204

Technical

Official Number: 136188
Yard Number: 588
Completed: 1914
Gross Tonnage: 205
Net Tonnage: 79
Length: 112.2 ft
Breadth: 22.5 ft
Depth: 12.4 ft
Engine: 49HP T.3-cyl by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby

History

14.2.1914: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.588) for Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Hull as DUNNET.
24.4.1914: Registered at Hull (H77).
30.4.1914: Completed (Joseph Vivian, manager).
2.1917: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.3004).
1919: Returned.
5.3.1933: On return to Hull Sk. Parks reported that while fishing in North Sea the Third Hand was injured. Bosun and deckie launched boat to take him to mission ship, but the boat was swamped all three drowned *.
3.1936: Combined boxing and trawling fleet of Kelsall Bros. & Beeching Ltd and the Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd consisting of 59 vessels laid up at Hull (declining catches, coal bill and increased maintenance costs had made the venture uneconomical).
7.3.1936: Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd in voluntary liquidation.
1936: Fleet sold en bloc to Heward Trawlers Ltd, London (R. S. Hewett & H. F. Hayward) (Robert S. Hewett, Fleetwood, manager). Refurbished.
3.2.1937: Registered in ownership of Heward Trawlers Ltd, London (R. S. Hewett & H. F. Hayward) (Robert S. Hewett, Fleetwood, manager).
2.7.1937: Hull registry closed.
5.7.1937: Registered at London (LO204).
1945: Sold to Robert Walkington, Fleetwood (Alex Keay, manager).
1947: Sold to Mrs Minnie Walkington & Mrs Florence Tuff, Fleetwood (Alex Keay, manager).
1949: Sold to Mrs Florence Tuff, Fleetwood (Alex Keay. manager).
1954: Sold to Alvis Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Sun Steam Trawling Co Ltd, managers).
1955. Sold to Fern Leaf Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Hewitt Fishing Co Ltd). London registry closed. Registered at Fleetwood (FD121).
12.1.1956: Sold for breaking up in The Netherlands.
5.9.1956: Breaking up commenced at Dordrecht.

(* Drowned men. Ernest Parks (23), Bosun; Arthur Webb (60), Third hand; Herbert Featherstone (21) deckhand.)

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Dunnet FD121

S.T. Dunnet LO204
Picture courtesy of The David Buckley Collection

S.T. Dunnet FD121

S.T. Dunnet FD121
Picture courtesy of James Cullen

Changelog
27/01/2009: Page published. 5 updates since then.
17/02/2014: Picture added.
21/01/2017: Removed disputed image.
01/08/2018: Added an image.

S.T. Hackness FD120

Technical

Official Number: 163952
Yard Number: 1128
Completed: 1934
Gross Tonnage: 413
Net Tonnage: 162
Length: 152.8 ft
Breadth: 25.6 ft
Depth: 13.6 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby

History

22.9.1934: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.1128) for W. B. Wiley & Sons Ltd, Hull as MENDIP.
7.11.1934: Registered at Hull (H114).
8.11.1934: Completed (William H. Willey Jnr, manager).
10.11.1934: Sailed Hull on first trip to Bear Island (Sk. Dahlgreen(?)).
4.12.1934: At Hull landed 1,650 kits grossed £697.
1938: Hudson Brothers Trawlers Ltd appointed managers.
1939: Sold to East Riding Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull.
9.1939: Requisitioned for war service.
11.1939: Sold to The Admiralty (MOWT) (£23,505).
9.12.1939: Hull registry closed. Fitted out as an anti-submarine trawler (P.No.FY.249).
2.1940: Renamed HMS SPHENE.
20.10.1945: A Control Committee was formed to manage Hull and Grimsby trawlers which had been bought by the Admiralty pre war and were being offered for sale back to their original owners. The owners who bought back these vessels and wanted to take part in the scheme agreed to register the trawlers under the Hull Ice Co. Ltd and profits were shared. Management of the trawlers was given to the companies which had bought them.
1946: Sold to Hull Ice Co Ltd, Hull (Charles D. Hudson, manager). Refitted at North Shields and classed for trawling.
9.2.1946: Registered at Hull as MENDIP (H202).
16.11.1946: Sold to Charleson-Smith Trawlers Ltd, Hull (20/-).
18.12.1946: Renamed STELLA DORADO (H202).
25.3.1948: Sold to Partnership (Hull) Ltd, Hull (Kenneth Percival, manager).
22.7.1948: Renamed HACKNESS (H202).
4.11.1948: Sold to Saint Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (Basil A. Parkes, manager).
22.5.1954: Sailed Hull for Iceland last trip before sale (Sk. H. Blaxton).
10.6.1954: At Hull landed 1,657 kits grossed £4,444.
22.6.1954: Sold to Fern Leaf Co Ltd, Fleetwood (William Newton, manager).
1955: Hull registry closed. Registered at Fleetwood (FD120).
12.11.1958: Fishing off Latrabjarg, Iceland, ordered by Icelandic coastguard THOR to stop, HMS RUSSELL intervened and escorted outside 12 mile fishing limit.
1958: Sold to Alvis Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Newton & Sons Ltd, managers).
1.1.1959: Sold to The Sun Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (M. A. Munby, manager).
24.7.1959: Sold to Jacques Bakker & Zonen, Bruges for for breaking up.
27.7.1959: Arrived Bruges from Fleetwood under own power.

Note: Was never AVANTURINE all authors copied from one error. Ad Folio MT65-467 is quite clear in names and ownership.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Hackness FD120

S.T. Hackness FD120

S.T. Mendip H114

S.T. Mendip H114
Picture courtesy of David Slinger

S.T. Hackness H202

S.T. Hackness H202
Picture courtesy of The Mike Thompson Collection

S.T. Hackness H202

S.T. Hackness H202

Changelog
25/01/2009: Page published.
17/08/2014: Picture 4 added.
25/04/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from images.

S.T. Urka FD289

Technical

Official Number: 139218
Yard Number: 174
Completed: 1916
Gross Tonnage: 249
Net Tonnage: 96
Length: 123.2 ft
Breadth: 22.1 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Built by Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole
Engine: 82nhp T.3-cyl by Wm. Beardmore & Co Ltd, Glasgow

History

1916: Launched by Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole (Yd.No.174) for The Clifton Steam Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood as URKA.
2.3.1917: Registered at Fleetwood (FD289).
2.1917: Completed (Joseph A. Taylor & Ernest Tomlinson, managers).
3.1917: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr) (Ad.No.3328). Northern Patrol.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
1924: William W. Brierley appointed manager.
5.1940: On the fishing grounds gutting, cap tally HMS SHARPSHOOTER (P.No.J68) found in a skate.
11.6.1947: On Icelandic grounds off east coast (Sk. Harold Brunton) fishing alongside LOCH HOPE (H220) which on hauling brought alongside mine which exploded killing one man and injurying others. Closed and took onboard seventeen survivors (including eight injured) and landed at Seydisfjordur.
Three injured too poorly to be moved, remaining five flown to hospital in Reykjavik. Thirteen crew returned to Hull in the trawler JUPITER.
1952: Sold to Alvis Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (William Newton, manager).
1953: M. A. Munby appointed manager.
1960: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up.
10.8.1960: Delivered to Barrow-in-Furness from Fleetwood under own power.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Urka FD289

S.T. Urka FD289
Picture courtesy of Alan Hirst

S.T. Urka FD289

S.T. Urka FD289
Picture courtesy of Fred Baker

S.T. Urka FD289

S.T. Urka FD289
Picture © Mike Helm

Changelog
24/01/2009: Page published. 5 updates since then.

S.T. Thrifty FD201

Additional information courtesy of Geoff Davidson

Technical

Official Number: 149228
Yard Number: 999
Completed: 1916
Gross tonnage 138
Net Tonnage: 44
Length : 99.7 ft
Beam : 20.4 ft
Depth : 9.5 ft
Built: Gebrs Boot Schps “de Hoop”, Leiderdorp
Engine: T.3-cyl by NV Burgerhouts M & S, Rotterdam

History
1916 Completed by Gebrs Boot Schps “de Hoop”, Leiderdorp (Yd.No.999) for De Witte Ster, IJmuiden as BALTIC. Registered at IJmuiden (IJM255).
1920: Sold to Société Anonyme Pêcheries à Vapeur “Zeester”, Ostend. IJmuiden registry closed. Registered at Ostend as FERNANDE (O214).
1925: Sold to Union des Pêcheries Maritimes S.A., Fécamp (Roger Peltier, manager). Ostend registry closed. Registered at Fécamp (F??).
1928: Sold to Limburgia-Visscherij Maatschappy, IJmuiden. Ostend registry closed. Registered at IJmuiden as LIMBURGIA (IJM54).
1929: Sold to S. Allerton, R. Read & Fred Spashett, Lowestoft.
1929: Re measured 100.4 x 20.5 x9.8 feet – 139g 68n.
2.1930: IJmuiden registry closed.
27.2.1930: Registered at Lowestoft as THRIFTY (LT152).
1930s: Seasonal fishing from Padstow, Milford and Fleetwood (Alex Keay managing agent).
8.6.1930: On fishing grounds disabled with propeller fouled by fishing gear. Picked up by steam trawler DIANA (LO31) and delivered Douglas, IoM.
18.9.1933: At Fleetwood landed a 4 stone sturgeon in excellent condition, bought by Messrs Topham & Chadwick. Offered to the King and sent by rail to London for delivery to Buckingham Palace.
13.1.1934: Suffered broken propeller off Fleetwood.
16.7.1935: Disabled. Drifter/trawler AMALIA (LT241) connected and delivered Fleetwood.
18.12.1936: At Ramsgate with damaged propeller shaft.
11.4.1937: Suffered machinery damage in Morecambe Bay. Engineer awarded £3gns and fireman, £2gns for bringing vessel into port without assistance.
1.7.1938: Connected to steam drifter/trawler AMALIA (LT241) disabled with broken tailshaft and delivered
Fleetwood.
12.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeping drifter (P.No.FY.1523) (Hire rate £33.10.0d/month).
6.1941: Based Portland (Ty/Sk. G. Corney RNR).
3.1944: Employed on miscellaneous Naval duties.
1.1944: Sold to Small & Co Ltd, Lowestoft.
4.1946: Returned to owner.
10.4.1946: Sold to Kittiwake Ltd, Lowestoft (R.H. Self, manager).
4.7.1947: In North Sea suffered boiler damage. Drifter/trawler NEVES (LT246) connected and delivered
Lowestoft.
22.11.1948: Damaged in collision with drifter/trawler STERNUS (LT238).
23.11.1948: Struck sunken block ship at West Entrance to Dover Harbour. Towed off by local motor boat with Dover lifeboat SOUTHERN AFRICA standing by.
28.11.1949: Disabled. Drifter/trawler TRIER (LT158) connected and delivered Lowestoft.
1956: Converted to motor and fitted with 4 stroke 3-cyl oil engine 300bhp by A. K. Diesels Ltd, Lowestoft
(engine made 1955).
1960: Sold to Alvis Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood. Lowestoft registry closed. Registered at Fleetwood (FD201).
1966: Laid up at Ramsey, IoM.
3.1967: Company and vessel sold to Sk. Bert Andrews and Catherine Andrews, Fleetwood (with White Fish Authority loan). Registered at Fleetwood as CATHERINE SHAUN (FD201) after extensive refurbishment. First trip lasted 44 days with constant breakdowns and bad weather.
Early 1968: Transferred to fish out of Lowestoft. Involved in a collision with Lowestoft motor trawler SUTTON QUEEN (LT302).
21.6.1968: At Lowestoft for work by LBS Engineering Ltd and AK Diesels Ltd. Struck concrete steps in Fish Dock at Lowestoft. Attended by Caister Lifeboat to take off injured crewman. Off The Lizard started to take in
water, pump inoperative due to mechanical problem. Towed to Falmouth and beached. Repaired and sailed for
Fleetwood. Laid up.
1968: Surrendered to White Fish Authority and offered for sale.
1969: Sold to W. H. Kerr Ltd, Milford Haven.
5.5.1969: Sailed Fleetwood for Castle Pill, Milford Haven in tow of motor trawler DAWN WATERS (LT90).
6.5.1969: Arrived Milford from Fleetwood. Engine removed and vessel stripped of usable parts.
1970: Sold to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up at Castle Pill, Milford Haven. Fleetwood registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

S.D. Thrifty LT152

S.D. Thrifty LT152
Picture courtesy of The Mike Thompson Collection

S.D/T. Thrifty LT152

S.D/T. Thrifty LT152
Picture from the Internet

HMT Thrifty

HMT Thrifty
Picture reproduced under IWM Non-Commercial Licence

S.T. Thrifty LT152

S.T. Thrifty LT152
Picture courtesy of the Billy Worrall collection

S.T Thrifty FD201

S.T Thrifty FD201
Picture courtesy of Hull Trawlers

Changelog
22/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
12/03/2015: Picture added.
13/07/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks and updated text.
28/08/2017: Added an image.