Tag Archives: Fern Leaf Co

S.T. Dunnet LO204

Technical

Official Number: 136188
Yard Number: 588
Completed: 1914
Gross Tonnage: 205
Net Tonnage: 79
Length: 112.2 ft
Breadth: 22.5 ft
Depth: 12.4 ft
Engine: 49HP T.3-cyl by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby

History

14.2.1914: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.588) for Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Hull as DUNNET.
24.4.1914: Registered at Hull (H77).
30.4.1914: Completed (Joseph Vivian, manager).
2.1917: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.3004).
1919: Returned.
5.3.1933: On return to Hull Sk. Parks reported that while fishing in North Sea the Third Hand was injured. Bosun and deckie launched boat to take him to mission ship, but the boat was swamped all three drowned *.
3.1936: Combined boxing and trawling fleet of Kelsall Bros. & Beeching Ltd and the Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd consisting of 59 vessels laid up at Hull (declining catches, coal bill and increased maintenance costs had made the venture uneconomical).
7.3.1936: Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd in voluntary liquidation.
1936: Fleet sold en bloc to Heward Trawlers Ltd, London (R. S. Hewett & H. F. Hayward) (Robert S. Hewett, Fleetwood, manager). Refurbished.
3.2.1937: Registered in ownership of Heward Trawlers Ltd, London (R. S. Hewett & H. F. Hayward) (Robert S. Hewett, Fleetwood, manager).
2.7.1937: Hull registry closed.
5.7.1937: Registered at London (LO204).
1945: Sold to Robert Walkington, Fleetwood (Alex Keay, manager).
1947: Sold to Mrs Minnie Walkington & Mrs Florence Tuff, Fleetwood (Alex Keay, manager).
1949: Sold to Mrs Florence Tuff, Fleetwood (Alex Keay. manager).
1954: Sold to Alvis Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Sun Steam Trawling Co Ltd, managers).
1955. Sold to Fern Leaf Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Hewitt Fishing Co Ltd). London registry closed. Registered at Fleetwood (FD121).
12.1.1956: Sold for breaking up in The Netherlands.
5.9.1956: Breaking up commenced at Dordrecht.

(* Drowned men. Ernest Parks (23), Bosun; Arthur Webb (60), Third hand; Herbert Featherstone (21) deckhand.)

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Dunnet FD121

S.T. Dunnet LO204
Picture courtesy of The David Buckley Collection

S.T. Dunnet FD121

S.T. Dunnet FD121
Picture courtesy of James Cullen

Changelog
27/01/2009: Page published. 5 updates since then.
17/02/2014: Picture added.
21/01/2017: Removed disputed image.
01/08/2018: Added an image.

S.T. Bridlington FD145

Additional information courtesy of Mike Thompson

Technical

Official Number: 133460
Yard Number: 561
Completed: 1913
Gross Tonnage: 205
Net Tonnage: 82 (75)
Length: 112.2 ft
Breadth: 22.5 ft
Depth: 12.4 ft
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
Engine: 300ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull

History

7.7.1913: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.561) for Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd (64/64), Hull as BRIDLINGTON.
1.9.1913: Registered at Hull (H1009).
1.9.1913: Joseph Vivian appointed manager.
24.9.1913: Completed.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
1919: Released.
13.5.1920: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The London County Westminster & Parr’s Bank Ltd, London (A).
6.3.1923: Mortgagee re-styled as Westminster Bank Ltd, London.
14.10.1927: Mortgage (A) transferred to William Augustus Hayward, Eastbourne.
14.10.1927: Mortgage (A) transferred to Mercantile Marine Finance Corporation Ltd, London.
22.10.1928: Robert Burton appointed manager.
16.9.1932: Charles Hugh Emerson appointed manager.
10.1932: Mercantile Marine Finance Corporation Ltd in liquidation.
1.11.1932: Mortgage (A) transferred to Harold Frank Hayward, London; Maud Florence Katherine Rogers, Chelsea and Ernest Norton, London (joint mortgagees). 1935: Insured value £2,650.
3.1936: Combined boxing and trawling fleet of Kelsall Bros. & Beeching Ltd and the Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd consisting of 59 vessels laid up at Hull (declining catches, coal bill and increased maintenance costs had made the venture uneconomical).
6.3.1936: At Extraordinary General Meeting at Hull, Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd placed in Creditors’ Voluntary Winding-up (Richard Field Helm of Messrs Hodgson Harris & Co, London appointed liquidators).
3.2.1937: Sold by the mortgagee under mortgage(A) to Heward Trawlers Ltd (64/64), London (Robert Scott Hewett & Harold Frank Hayward).
17.2.1937: Hull registry closed.
17.2.1937: Robert S. Hewett, London appointed manager.
19.2.1937: Registered at London (LO194). Refurbished.
11.3.1937: Arrived Fleetwood from Hull.
11.5.1943: Typical wartime landing. 368 kits – hake-184, cod/codling-30, haddock-10, whiting-37, flats-7, ling/coley-28, roker-10, gurnard-7, dogs-55. 1948: Sold to Fern Leaf Co Ltd, Fleetwood (William Newton, manager).
1954: London registry closed. Registered at Fleetwood (FD145).
1956: Sold for breaking up in The Netherlands.
17(7?).9.1956: Arrived Dordrecht from Fleetwood under own power. Fleetwood registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Bridlington FD145

S.T. Bridlington FD145
Picture courtesy of the late Alan Hirst

Changelog
26/01/2009: Page published. 6 updates since then.
18/01/2017: Removed disputed image.
03/10/2019: Information updated.

S.T. Hackness FD120

Technical

Official Number: 163952
Yard Number: 1128
Completed: 1934
Gross Tonnage: 413
Net Tonnage: 162
Length: 152.8 ft
Breadth: 25.6 ft
Depth: 13.6 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby

History

22.9.1934: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.1128) for W. B. Wiley & Sons Ltd, Hull as MENDIP.
7.11.1934: Registered at Hull (H114).
8.11.1934: Completed (William H. Willey Jnr, manager).
10.11.1934: Sailed Hull on first trip to Bear Island (Sk. Dahlgreen(?)).
4.12.1934: At Hull landed 1,650 kits grossed £697.
1938: Hudson Brothers Trawlers Ltd appointed managers.
1939: Sold to East Riding Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull.
9.1939: Requisitioned for war service.
11.1939: Sold to The Admiralty (MOWT) (£23,505).
9.12.1939: Hull registry closed. Fitted out as an anti-submarine trawler (P.No.FY.249).
2.1940: Renamed HMS SPHENE.
20.10.1945: A Control Committee was formed to manage Hull and Grimsby trawlers which had been bought by the Admiralty pre war and were being offered for sale back to their original owners. The owners who bought back these vessels and wanted to take part in the scheme agreed to register the trawlers under the Hull Ice Co. Ltd and profits were shared. Management of the trawlers was given to the companies which had bought them.
1946: Sold to Hull Ice Co Ltd, Hull (Charles D. Hudson, manager). Refitted at North Shields and classed for trawling.
9.2.1946: Registered at Hull as MENDIP (H202).
16.11.1946: Sold to Charleson-Smith Trawlers Ltd, Hull (20/-).
18.12.1946: Renamed STELLA DORADO (H202).
25.3.1948: Sold to Partnership (Hull) Ltd, Hull (Kenneth Percival, manager).
22.7.1948: Renamed HACKNESS (H202).
4.11.1948: Sold to Saint Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (Basil A. Parkes, manager).
22.5.1954: Sailed Hull for Iceland last trip before sale (Sk. H. Blaxton).
10.6.1954: At Hull landed 1,657 kits grossed £4,444.
22.6.1954: Sold to Fern Leaf Co Ltd, Fleetwood (William Newton, manager).
1955: Hull registry closed. Registered at Fleetwood (FD120).
12.11.1958: Fishing off Latrabjarg, Iceland, ordered by Icelandic coastguard THOR to stop, HMS RUSSELL intervened and escorted outside 12 mile fishing limit.
1958: Sold to Alvis Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Newton & Sons Ltd, managers).
1.1.1959: Sold to The Sun Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (M. A. Munby, manager).
24.7.1959: Sold to Jacques Bakker & Zonen, Bruges for for breaking up.
27.7.1959: Arrived Bruges from Fleetwood under own power.

Note: Was never AVANTURINE all authors copied from one error. Ad Folio MT65-467 is quite clear in names and ownership.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Hackness FD120

S.T. Hackness FD120

S.T. Mendip H114

S.T. Mendip H114
Picture courtesy of David Slinger

S.T. Hackness H202

S.T. Hackness H202
Picture courtesy of The Mike Thompson Collection

S.T. Hackness H202

S.T. Hackness H202

Changelog
25/01/2009: Page published.
17/08/2014: Picture 4 added.
25/04/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from images.

S.T. Osta FD106

Technical

Official Number: 139201
Yard Number: 412
Completed: 1915
Gross Tonnage: 230
Net Tonnage: 90
Length: 123.8 ft
Breadth: 22.1 ft
Depth: 11.8 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Lidgerwood Ltd, Coatbridge
Built: J. Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen

History

1915: Launched by J. Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen (Yd. No.412) for The New Docks Steam Trawling Co (Fleetwood) Ltd, Fleetwood as OSTA.
5.1915: Completed (Joseph A. Taylor & Ernest Tomlinson, managers).
31.5.1915: Registered at Fleetwood (FD106).
5.1915: Requisitioned for war service and fitted out for minelaying (1-6pdr HA)(Ad.No.1591).
1917: Fitted out as a minesweeper. Based Milford Haven.
12.3.1919: Waiting instructions whether required for Post-War Service (SS).
1920: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
1924: William W. Brierley appointed manager.
29.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.737) (Hire rate £63.5.0d/month).
1940: Sold to The Clifton Steam Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood.
8.1943: Employed as a barrage balloon towing vessel.
11.1944: Returned to owner.
Post 1954: Sold to Fern Leaf Co Ltd, Fleetwood (William Newton, manager).
1957: Hewett Vessels Management Ltd appointed managers.
28.8.1959: Transferred to Sun Trawlers, Fleetwood (Hewett Vessels Management Ltd, managers).
25.10.1959: Sold for breaking up.
1961: Breaking up completed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Osta FD106

S.T. Osta FD106
Picture courtesy the late Alan Hirst

S.T. Osta FD106

S.T. Osta FD106

S.T. Wardour FD146

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow
Boiler information courtesy of Jim Murphy

Technical

Official Number: 132278
Yard Number: 227
Completed: 1911
Gross Tonnage: 335
Net Tonnage: 136
Length: 140 ft
Breadth: 23.7 ft
Depth: 12.4 ft
Engine: 350ihp T.3-cyl and boiler C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley

History
8.9.1911: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.227) for Thomas Hamling & Co Ltd (64/64), Hull as St. MALO.
8.11.1911: Completed. Harold Hall designated manager.
1.12.1911: Registered at Hull (H371).
4.1915: Requisitioned for war service.
16.4.1915: Commissioned as an armed trawler (1-12pdr) (Ad.No.1375).
23.8.1918: Sold to George William Jeffs (22/64), Arthur Jeffs (21/64) & Harry Birch Jeffs (21/64), Grimsby.
1919: Returned to owner at Grimsby.
27.9.1919: Sold to St. Malo Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
29.9.1919: George William Jeffs designated manager.
9.1919: Hull registry closed.
18.9.1919: Registered at Grimsby (GY523).
22.10.1919: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to London Joint City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (A).
27.11.1923: Mortgagee re-styled Midland Bank Ltd, London.
5.3.1923: Mortgaged to George William Jeffs , Arthur Jeffs & Harry Birch Jeffs, Grimsby (joint mortgagees) for the sum of £4,000 with interest at 5% (B).
20.2.1930: Mortgage (A) discharged.
21.2.1930: Mortgage (B) discharged.
3.3.1930: Sold Walter Garratt (16/64), Walter Adrian Garratt (16/64), Fred Birch Jeffs (16/64) and George Ernest Jeffs (16/64), Grimsby.
3.3.1930: Walter Garratt appointed manager.
12.3.1930: Registered at Grimsby as CARFAX (GY523) (BoT Minute M/RG 1088/30 dated 11.3.1930).
18.8.1930: Walter Garratt (16/64) shares mortgaged to Barclays Bank Ltd, London (C).
30.9.1930: Walter Adrian Garratt (16/64), Fred Birch Jeffs (16/64) and George Ernest Jeffs (16/64) shares mortgaged to Barclays Bank Ltd, London (D), (E) and (F).
15.12.1930: Fred Birch Jeffs appointed manager.
17.8.1932: Sold by order of the mortgagee under mortgages (C), (D), (E) and (F) to Edward Cyril Grant (64/64), Grimsby.
23.8.1932: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Barclays Bank Ltd, London (G).
24.8.1932: Edward Cyril Grant designated manager.
30.9.1932: Registered at Grimsby as WARDOUR (GY523) (BoT Minute M/RG 1185/32 dated 17 9.1932).
1.10.1935: Mortgage (G) discharged.
10.10.1935: Sold to The Clan Steam Fishing Co (Grimsby) Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
26.10.1935: Edward Cyril Grant designated manager.
1.11.1935: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Midland Bank Ltd, London (H).
28.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr HA, AA weapons)(P.No.FY581)(Hire rate £83.15.0d/month).
1940: Based Leith.
3.2.1940: In Firth of Forth, connected to HM Trawler FIREFLY (P.No.FY673), badly damaged when a loose British mine they had recovered exploded killing thirteen crew and wounding a similar number. Delivered Leith.
6.1940: At Gt. Yarmouth with M/S Group 30 (Sk. Frederick Leslie Hamilton DSM RNR).
3.9.1940: Sk. Hamilton awarded DSC.
20.6.1940: By B7 buoy off Frinton-on-Sea, picked up a small boat containing three men which had set out from IJmuiden. Landed them at Harwich.
1941: Based Sheerness (Quuenborough), ungrouped (Sk.C. J. Euston RNR).
1.1942: Based Sheerness (Quuenborough) with M/S Group 3 (Ty Lt. John William Box RNVR).
3.1942: Ty Lt. Henry Leonard Choppin RNVR appointed CO.
8.1943: John Hubert Hill RNVR appointed CO.
7.1944: Ty Lt. John William Box RNVR appointed CO.
11.1944: Reginald Henry Clifton RNVR appointed CO.
20.7.1944: Mortgage (H) discharged.
20.9.1944; George Brown Brewster, Fleetwood designated manager.
10.10.1944: Company registered office transferred to Fleetwood.
11.1944: Reginald Henry Clifton RNVR appointed CO.
16.4.1946: Returned to owner.
12.1946: New boiler by Cammell Laird & Co Ltd, Birkenhead.
12.1946: Transferred to Fleetwood.
18.2.1947: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to District Bank Ltd, Manchester (I).
6.9.1951: Mortgage (I) discharged.
17.12.1951: Sold to Fern Leaf Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood.
31.12.1951: William Newton designated manager.
31.1.1953: In severe weather conditions, assisted in search for steam trawler MICHAEL GRIFFITH (FD249) in distress 7 miles south of Barra Head; nothing found.
16.4.1953: Grimsby registry closed.
17.4.1953: Registered at Fleetwood (FD146).
1954: Sold to Haulbowline Industries Ltd, Passage West, Co. Cork for breaking up.
29.7.1954: Delivered Passage West from Fleetwood under own power. Fleetwood registry closed.
1954: Boiler removed during breaking, re-tubed, tested and sold to Cork Harbour Commissioners and installed in their dredger OWENACURRA (106274) (875grt/1897).

Click to enlarge image

HMT Wardour

HMT Wardour
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
08/01/2009: Page published. 2 updates since then.
17/11/2018: Information updated.
19/11/2018: Image added.