Tag Archives: Robert Walkington

S.T. Ariel H843

Technical

Official Number: 121091
Yard Number: 90
Completed: 1905
Gross Tonnage: 174
Net Tonnage: 55n (68)
Length: 108.5 ft
Breadth: 21.5 ft
Depth: 11.5 ft
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Beverley
Engine: 45nhp T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith, Hull
Speed: 9.5 knots

History

30.9.1905: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Beverley (Yd.No.90) for Hellyer’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull as ARIEL.
14.11.1905: Completed.
17.11.1905: Registered at Hull (H843). Charles Hellyer designated manager.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 68net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
9.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.616).
2.1915: Renamed ARIEL II. Based Portland.
4.9.1917: Sold to Mrs Elizabeth M. Jones, Oswestry. Charles Curzon, Milford Haven designated manager.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Milford and reverted to Ariel (H843).
1920: Sold to Iago Steam Trawler Co Ltd, Milford Haven. Edward D. W. Lawford designated manager.
14.12.1927: Sold to Ocean Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull. George Altoft designated manager.
Pre 1930: W. C. Farrow designated manager.
25.10.1935: Sold to Robert Walkington, Fleetwood. Alex Keay designated manager.
3.5.1943: Typical wartime landing. 66 kits – hake-36, cod/codling-16, whiting-10, ling/coley-1, roker-2, dogs-1.
1.8.1945: Trawled live mine off Isle of Man and delivered Douglas for disposal.
2.8.1945: Fishing off Isle of Man. Foundered after collision with steamer BENLEDI (5943g/1930) in thick fog S by W of Chicken Rock Light, Calf of Man; ten crew rescued by BENLEDI boat and landed at Liverpool. Hull registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Ariel H843

S.T. Ariel H843
Picture courtesy of The James Cullen Collection

Changelog
15/05/2012: Page published. 6 updates since then.
06/11/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
09/06/2019: Updated information.

S.T. Dunnet LO204

Technical

Official Number: 136188
Yard Number: 588
Completed: 1914
Gross Tonnage: 205
Net Tonnage: 79
Length: 112.2 ft
Breadth: 22.5 ft
Depth: 12.4 ft
Engine: 49HP T.3-cyl by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby

History

14.2.1914: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.588) for Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Hull as DUNNET.
24.4.1914: Registered at Hull (H77).
30.4.1914: Completed (Joseph Vivian, manager).
2.1917: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.3004).
1919: Returned.
5.3.1933: On return to Hull Sk. Parks reported that while fishing in North Sea the Third Hand was injured. Bosun and deckie launched boat to take him to mission ship, but the boat was swamped all three drowned *.
3.1936: Combined boxing and trawling fleet of Kelsall Bros. & Beeching Ltd and the Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd consisting of 59 vessels laid up at Hull (declining catches, coal bill and increased maintenance costs had made the venture uneconomical).
7.3.1936: Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd in voluntary liquidation.
1936: Fleet sold en bloc to Heward Trawlers Ltd, London (R. S. Hewett & H. F. Hayward) (Robert S. Hewett, Fleetwood, manager). Refurbished.
3.2.1937: Registered in ownership of Heward Trawlers Ltd, London (R. S. Hewett & H. F. Hayward) (Robert S. Hewett, Fleetwood, manager).
2.7.1937: Hull registry closed.
5.7.1937: Registered at London (LO204).
1945: Sold to Robert Walkington, Fleetwood (Alex Keay, manager).
1947: Sold to Mrs Minnie Walkington & Mrs Florence Tuff, Fleetwood (Alex Keay, manager).
1949: Sold to Mrs Florence Tuff, Fleetwood (Alex Keay. manager).
1954: Sold to Alvis Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Sun Steam Trawling Co Ltd, managers).
1955. Sold to Fern Leaf Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Hewitt Fishing Co Ltd). London registry closed. Registered at Fleetwood (FD121).
12.1.1956: Sold for breaking up in The Netherlands.
5.9.1956: Breaking up commenced at Dordrecht.

(* Drowned men. Ernest Parks (23), Bosun; Arthur Webb (60), Third hand; Herbert Featherstone (21) deckhand.)

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Dunnet FD121

S.T. Dunnet LO204
Picture courtesy of The David Buckley Collection

S.T. Dunnet FD121

S.T. Dunnet FD121
Picture courtesy of James Cullen

Changelog
27/01/2009: Page published. 5 updates since then.
17/02/2014: Picture added.
21/01/2017: Removed disputed image.
01/08/2018: Added an image.