S.T. Urka FD289

Technical

Official Number: 139218
Yard Number: 174
Completed: 1916
Gross Tonnage: 249
Net Tonnage: 96
Length: 123.2 ft
Breadth: 22.1 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Built by Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole
Engine: 82nhp T.3-cyl by Wm. Beardmore & Co Ltd, Glasgow

History

1916: Launched by Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole (Yd.No.174) for The Clifton Steam Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood as URKA.
2.3.1917: Registered at Fleetwood (FD289).
2.1917: Completed (Joseph A. Taylor & Ernest Tomlinson, managers).
3.1917: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr) (Ad.No.3328). Northern Patrol.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
1924: William W. Brierley appointed manager.
5.1940: On the fishing grounds gutting, cap tally HMS SHARPSHOOTER (P.No.J68) found in a skate.
11.6.1947: On Icelandic grounds off east coast (Sk. Harold Brunton) fishing alongside LOCH HOPE (H220) which on hauling brought alongside mine which exploded killing one man and injurying others. Closed and took onboard seventeen survivors (including eight injured) and landed at Seydisfjordur.
Three injured too poorly to be moved, remaining five flown to hospital in Reykjavik. Thirteen crew returned to Hull in the trawler JUPITER.
1952: Sold to Alvis Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (William Newton, manager).
1953: M. A. Munby appointed manager.
1960: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up.
10.8.1960: Delivered to Barrow-in-Furness from Fleetwood under own power.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Urka FD289

S.T. Urka FD289
Picture courtesy of Alan Hirst

S.T. Urka FD289

S.T. Urka FD289
Picture courtesy of Fred Baker

S.T. Urka FD289

S.T. Urka FD289
Picture © Mike Helm

Changelog
24/01/2009: Page published. 5 updates since then.