Tag Archives: Saxon Steam Trawlers

S.T. Dorothy Lambert FD122

Technical

Official Number: 145723
Yard Number: 776
Completed: 1923
Gross Tonnage: 299
Net Tonnage: 114
Length: 130.3 ft
Breadth: 24 ft
Depth: 12.9 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Middlesbrough
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough

History

18.1.1923: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.776) for Neale & West Ltd, Cardiff as OYAMA.
3.1923: Completed (Wilfred Neale, Morley H. Neale & Joshua S. Neale, managers). Registered at Cardiff (CF10).
1927: Morley H. Neale & Joshua S. Neale, Penarth appointed managers).
1930: Sold to Saxon Steam Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (William W. Brierley c/o New Docks Steam Trawling Co (Fleetwood) Ltd, manager).
11.1930: Cardiff registration closed.
12.11.1930: Registered at Fleetwood (FD122).
13.12.1930: Renamed DOROTHY LAMBERT (FD122).
1938: Sold to The Clifton Steam Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (William W. Brierley c/o New Docks Steam Trawling Co (Fleetwood) Ltd, manager).
2.1940: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No. FY.558)(Hire rate £108.7.9d/month).
1.1941: Based Aberdeen with M/S Group 12 (Ty/Sk. G. S. Wright RNR).
3.1944: Fitted out for dan laying and assigned to Operation Neptune – Normandy landings.
23.5.1944: Attached to the 15th Minesweeping Flotilla as a dan layer.
3.7.1944: Operation Neptune ended.
2.1946: Returned to owner after restoration and survey at Fleetwood.
22.09.1954: Sailed Fleetwood for North Minch grounds (Sk. Arthur Peak): fourteeen crew all told.
2.10.1954: At about 8.00 pm in the North Minch having hauled her trawl in fine clear weather and light SSW breeze, decided to change grounds, fixed position as some 10 miles SE of Tiumpan Head and set course SW1/2S for Loch Boisdale; log streamed. The skipper calculated that this course would take him past Rudh Rea at a distance when abeam of 11 miles; and that he had approximately 30 miles to run to Eilean Trodda. Experienced deckhand James Connolly at the wheel and instructed by the skipper “The course is S.W.1/2 S, you are going 25 miles and you will pick up Eilean Trodda. When you pick that up, it is a two flash white light, put it fine on your port bow. In the meantime, you will see Rudh Rea. I want you to take a 4 point bearing of that. There’s 30 miles to go and 28 miles will be getting towards the danger area”. The skipper also added that he was to be informed of the distance off Rudh Rea Lighthouse when abeam and that if Trodda was not sighted at 25 miles on the log he was to be called. At an unrecorded time, when Rudh Rea was 4 points on her port bow, the mate came on the bridge and as required took a 4 point bearing. The reading was 6 1/2 miles but the time was not recorded. Again at an unrecorded time, Connolly was relieved by the bosun, James Wallbank and a young deckhand John Kenneth English was put on the wheel while he took a bearing and went to read the log which read 17 1/2 miles; English remained on the wheel until the vessel took the ground. Again these observations and time was not recorded but the skipper was informed and replied “Thats alright, carry on”. At 12.25 pm four point bearing taken on Trodda Light, log read 27 miles; skipper informed “We are abeam of Trodda 3 miles”. Skipper came on bridge and seeing Vaternish Point light on the port bow, ordered “ Put the wheel hard-a-port” then “Come to SE” and left the bridge to consult the chart. Upon his return he saw the red light of Trodda, he rang “Slow Ahead” on the engine room telegraph and gave the order “Hard-a-port” and kept it so until he had got the vessel round to a heading of N.E.1/2 N. with the object of getting back as quickly as possible on an opposite course so as to regain the white sector. he did not at that time know whether he was inside or outside the Sgeir na Maol reef. 2 minutes later the vessel took the ground, first scraping over the rocks and then coming fast being some 2 1/2 miles to westward of the courseline. W/T distress call made and rockets fired, with difficulty ships‘ boat put in water. Unsuccessful in coming off using engine. At about 3.30 pm Stornoway lifeboat arrived on scene along with a warship.
3.10.1954: At 8.00 am refloated without assistance and proceeded under own power to Fleetwood.
5.10.1954: At Fleetwood landed 135 boxes/ 20 baskets, £847 gross/£643 net.
29.3.1955: At MoT formal inquiry (No.S.430) held at Fleetwood, the Court found that the cause of the said stranding was an unexplained divergence of the vessel from her intended course due to the faulty navigation of the said vessel by her skipper, Arthur Peak, in that he failed to ensure that a certificated mariner was in charge of the bridge while the vessel was proceeding through enclosed and dangerous waters, and that he further failed to give explicit and unmistakable instructions to those left in charge on the bridge, and to satisfy himself that the instructions he did give were properly understood. Sk. Peak had been cautioned three times since 1946 for stranding ships; his ticket was suspended for twelve months. *
10.1955: Sold to Van Heyghen Freres S.A., Ghent for breaking up.
25.11.1955: Delivered Ghent.

Note * – Final observation by the Court. “In the view of the Court most if not all of the troubles of this case would have been avoided and similar troubles could be avoided in the future if two simple rules were observed. These are: (i) That orders relating to the navigation of trawlers on passage should be entered in writing in an order book; (ii) That it should be the rule in trawlers as it is in larger ships to log times of passing and distance from important landmarks passed on the passage.”

Notes
The whole stranding was a mess, it could not be ascertained whether in fact the first plotted position – 10 miles SE of Tiumpan Head was an accurate fix, so they may have been heading for trouble from the start. Bosun held no ticket, nor had he ever fished in the North Minch; the boat was seized in the chocks and plug was not fitted properly; rockets were damp and would not light.

BOT report on the stranding

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Dorothy Lambert FD122

S.T. Dorothy Lambert FD122
Picture courtesy of Frans Schaap

S.T. Dorothy Lambert FD122 by Steve Farrow

S.T. Dorothy Lambert FD122 by Steve Farrow

S.T. Dorothy Lambert FD122

S.T. Dorothy Lambert FD122
Picture courtesy of The Osta Collection

Changelog
30/01/2009: Page published. 7 updates since then.
17/05/2015: Information updated.
05/10/2015: Information updated.
03/10/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.

S.T. Yarmouth FD334

Additional information courtesy of Peter Bell and Andy Hall

Technical

Official Number: 117737
Yard Number: 357
Completed: 1907
Gross Tonnage: 235
Net Tonnage: 91
Length: 120.4 ft
Breadth: 21.6 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields
Engine: T.3-cyl by W. V. V. Lidgerwood, Coatbridge

History

8.8.1907: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.357) for The Western Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Bristol as YARMOUTH.
9.1907: Completed.
7.9.1907: Registered at Bristol (BL9). Sydney M. Price, Milford designated manager.
27.3.1911: Returned to Milford from a trip with damaged sustained in westerly gales during the previous week (Sk. J. W. Rumbold).
1.8.1914: Requisitioned for war service (Ad.No.128).
11.8.1914: Arrived Devonport for Special Trawler Reserve; when stored to sail for Lowestoft. Ad.No. cancelled.
13.11.1914: At Lowestoft as Ad.No.281, parent ship HALCYON.
1.1915: Arrived Devonport to fit out for Mediterranean as a minesweeper((1-3pdr, 1-7.5” A/S Howitzer) (Ad.No.281).
27.1.1915: Ordered to sail from Devonport to Mediterranean.
2.1915: Renamed YARMOUTH II.
1915: Dardanelles Campaign.
20.12.1915: Dardanelles (Gallipoli) evacuation completed. Redeployed.
4.1919: Returned to owner at Milford and reverted to YARMOUTH (BL9).
7.1919: Sold to The Saxon Steam Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood
7.1919: Bristol registry closed.
25.7.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD334). Joseph H. Taylor designated manager.
1924: William W. Brierley designated manager.
12.3.1929: On morning tide outward for fishing grounds ran into LILY MELLING (FD222) aground on west side of Wyre channel. Grounded on groyne, stripping propeller. Refloated evening tide with tug assistance.
24.1.1934: Arrived Oban leaking badly after striking sunken rock at about 1.30 am off Gunna Sound, Tiree Passage. Beached to check.
25.1.1934: Revealed keel badly twisted, garboard strake sprung. Temporary repair to enable single voyage to Fleetwood for permanent repair.
7.9.1938: On Co. Donegal grounds (Sk. Ronald Read) had rudder damaged in heavy seas. Hove to and in a heavy swell crew attempted to rig jury rudder from the boat but with increasing movement had to return onboard before task was completed. Skipper was lowered on a bosun’s chair to complete the work, but two sharks were observed and he was in danger of being bitten. Brought back onboard, he was re-lowered at intervals to complete the job.
7.9.1938: Arrived safely at Fleetwood.
11.2.1939: Homeward from the fishing grounds in a severe westerly gale, when off Dubh Attach Light, propeller shaft broke. Steam trawler SARBA (FD177), also homeward, responded to signal of distress and in very rough weather connected using chain cable and set course for home. On passage the chain cable parted twice, before the heavier cable from SARBA was transferred and secured.
13.2.1939: Delivered Fleetwood.
17.2.1939: Sold to The Clifton Steam Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood.
10.1948: Sold to Chantiers & Armement Seghers, Ostend. Ostend.
29.10.1948: Fleetwood registry closed.
1949: Sold to Charles & Victor Seghers, Ostend.
1949: Rebuilt by Chantiers & Armement Seghers, Ostend. Re-engined with 450bhp 8 cyl Uniporn oil engine by Porn & Dunwoody Ltd, London.
1949: Remeasured after conversion 242grt 97n.
10.10.1949: Registered at Ostend (O336).
4.12.1950: Homeward from an Icelandic trip (Sk.Arthur Verbeist), in heavy snow showers, stranded on Scroby Sands 3 – 4 miles off Gt. Yarmouth. Attended by Gorleston lifeboat and tug Richard Lee Barber (122grt/1940).
5.12.1950: At high water 5.00 a.m. failed to refloat, crew taken off by Gorleston lifeboat. Further attempts to refloat, with tugs RICHARD LEE BARBER and GEORGE JEWSON (57grt/1908) in attendance, failed, despite having lightened her by removing the catch of 6,000st of fish, water and fuel.
1951: Attempts to refloat by the Hull tug KROOMAN (230grt/1938) also failed.
1951: Ostend registry closed.
1.1953: Engulfed by the sands in the “Great Storm”.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Yarmouth FD334

S.T. Yarmouth FD334
Picture courtesy of the Barry Banham Photo Collection

S.T. Yarmouth FD334 in wartime

S.T. Yarmouth FD334 in wartime
Picture courtesy of the Barry Banham Photo Collection

S.T. Yarmouth FD334 stranded on Scroby Sands

M.T. Yarmouth O336. Picture courtesy of the Barry Banham Photo Collection.

Changelog
21/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
14/09/2105: Information updated.
23/11/2017: Information updated and removed FMHT watermarks from images.

S.T. The Roman FD151

Technical

Official Number: 128749
Yard Number: 414
Completed: 1909
Launched: 1909
Gross Tonnage: 224
Net Tonnage: 77
Length: 120.3 ft
Breadth: 21.6 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields
Engine: 57hp T.3-cyl and boiler by MacColl & Pollock Ltd, Sunderland

History

15.9.1909: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.414) for Neale Bros, Penarth (Wilfred Neale, Cardiff; Howard K. Neale, Joshia S Neale, Morley H. Neale, Douglas E. Neale, Penarth) as THE ROMAN.
10.1909: Completed (James Thomas, Milford Haven, manager).
16.12.1908: Registered at Milford (M35).
1910: Sold to Neale & West Ltd, Cardiff (Wilfred Neale, Morley H. Neale & Joshua S. Neale, managers).
15.12.1910: Milford registry closed.
12.1910: Registered at Cardiff (CF29).
11.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr) (Ad.No.195). Based Granton.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Cardiff.
1919: Sold to The New Docks Steam Trawling Co (Fleetwood) Ltd, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
4.1919: Cardiff registry closed.
28.4.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD151).
13.7.1919: Sold to The Saxon Steam Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
1924: William W. Brierley appointed manager.
14.1.1932: Arrested by the fishery cruiser MINNA in the Minch.
15.1.1932: Sk. Jeffrey Wright pleaded guilty at Stornoway Sheriff Court to illegal trawling inside the three mile limit and was fined £100 with the alternative of 60 days imprisonment. The nets and gear were forfeited and he was fined a further £25 for failing to exhibit the regulation lights when engaged in fishing.
17.2.1939: Sold to The Clifton Steam Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (William W. Brierley, manager).
12.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (magnetic) (P.No.FY.1530)(Hire rate £56.0.0d/month).
10.1943: Fitted out as a fuelling trawler (Esso)(33ton tank for refuelling diesel landing craft) (P.No.Y7.5).
6.1944: Operation Neptune-Normandy Landings. Assigned as a fuelling trawler to Force U.
8.1946: Returned to owner.
1950: Sold for breaking up.
9.11.1950: Fleetwood registry closed.

Click to enlarge

S.T. The Roman FD151

S.T. The Roman FD151
Picture courtesy of The John Clarkson Collection

The Roman FD151

The Roman FD151
Picture courtesy of Mark Stopper

The Roman FD151

The Roman FD151
Picture courtesy of Mark Stopper

Changelog
16/01/2009: Page published. 5 updates since then.
01/09/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.

S.T. Saxon FD159

Technical

Official Number: 127401
Yard Number: 358
Completed: 1907
Gross Tonnage: 239
Net Tonnage: 93
Length: 120.3 ft
Breadth: 20.6 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Engine: 57hp T.3-cyl by MacColl & Pollock Ltd, Sunderland
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields

History

19.9.1907: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.358) for Neale Bros, Milford Haven (Wilfred Neale, Cardiff; Howard K. Neale, Morley H. Neale, Joshua S. Neale & Douglas E. Neale, Penarth) as SAXON.
10.1907: Completed (Morley H. Neale, manager).
29.10.1907: Registered at Milford (M211).
16.9.1909: In Bantry Bay (Sk. H. Hewer?), at about 4.00 am. in collision with Milford trawler CAYLPSO (M168) (Sk.Christopher Masterton). Sustained damage to stem and bow plating.
12.1910: Sold to Neale & West Ltd, Cardiff (Wilfred Neale, Morley H. Neale & Joshua S. Neale, managers).
15.12. 1910: Milford registry closed.
12.1910: Registered at Cardiff (CF31).
9.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr, 1-7.5” A/S Howitzer) (Ad.No.627).
1919: Returned to owner.
4.1919: Sold to The New Docks Steam Trawling Co (Fleetwood) Ltd, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
29.4.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD159).
17.7.1919: Sold to The Saxon Steam Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
1924: William W. Brierley appointed manager.
8.1930: Sailed Fleetwood for West of Scotland grounds (Sk. Arthur Christie): twelve crew all told.
21.8.1930: Fishing off Barra Head, decided to change grounds and set course for the Cairns of Coll off Tiree. With the skipper, mate, James Compton and a deckhand Samuel Harringham in the wheelhouse in gale force winds and a blinding rainstorm with visibility reduced, stranded on Hough Skerries, Tiree. Vessel was held amidships on the skerry and despite working the engine was held fast. The mate, with Samuel Harringham and George Stables volunteered to man the boat and lay out a kedge and in the rough seas it proved very difficult and once set took over an hour to pull back the 200yds to the trawler. Shortly after their return the Ch. Eng came on deck and said that the engineroom was flooding and the position was hopeless. The skipper ordered the crew into the boat and they pulled away for the shore which they could barely see through the slanting rain and rough waters. After pulling for five miles they landed on a Tiree beach where there were no rocks and although exhausted started to walk to Kilkenneth.
22 – 25. 8.1930: Broke up in heavy swell. Declared a total loss.
8.9.1930: Fleetwood registry closed “Totally lost 21/8/30”.

Changelog
04/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
06/06/2016: Information updated.