S.T. The Roman FD151

Technical

Official Number: 128749
Yard Number: 414
Completed: 1909
Launched: 1909
Gross Tonnage: 224
Net Tonnage: 77
Length: 120.3 ft
Breadth: 21.6 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields
Engine: 57hp T.3-cyl and boiler by MacColl & Pollock Ltd, Sunderland

History

15.9.1909: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.414) for Neale Bros, Penarth (Wilfred Neale, Cardiff; Howard K. Neale, Joshia S Neale, Morley H. Neale, Douglas E. Neale, Penarth) as THE ROMAN.
10.1909: Completed (James Thomas, Milford Haven, manager).
16.12.1908: Registered at Milford (M35).
1910: Sold to Neale & West Ltd, Cardiff (Wilfred Neale, Morley H. Neale & Joshua S. Neale, managers).
15.12.1910: Milford registry closed.
12.1910: Registered at Cardiff (CF29).
11.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr) (Ad.No.195). Based Granton.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Cardiff.
1919: Sold to The New Docks Steam Trawling Co (Fleetwood) Ltd, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
4.1919: Cardiff registry closed.
28.4.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD151).
13.7.1919: Sold to The Saxon Steam Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
1924: William W. Brierley appointed manager.
14.1.1932: Arrested by the fishery cruiser MINNA in the Minch.
15.1.1932: Sk. Jeffrey Wright pleaded guilty at Stornoway Sheriff Court to illegal trawling inside the three mile limit and was fined £100 with the alternative of 60 days imprisonment. The nets and gear were forfeited and he was fined a further £25 for failing to exhibit the regulation lights when engaged in fishing.
17.2.1939: Sold to The Clifton Steam Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (William W. Brierley, manager).
12.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (magnetic) (P.No.FY.1530)(Hire rate £56.0.0d/month).
10.1943: Fitted out as a fuelling trawler (Esso)(33ton tank for refuelling diesel landing craft) (P.No.Y7.5).
6.1944: Operation Neptune-Normandy Landings. Assigned as a fuelling trawler to Force U.
8.1946: Returned to owner.
1950: Sold for breaking up.
9.11.1950: Fleetwood registry closed.

Click to enlarge

S.T. The Roman FD151

S.T. The Roman FD151
Picture courtesy of The John Clarkson Collection

The Roman FD151

The Roman FD151
Picture courtesy of Mark Stopper

The Roman FD151

The Roman FD151
Picture courtesy of Mark Stopper

Changelog
16/01/2009: Page published. 5 updates since then.
01/09/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.