Tag Archives: James Herbert Marr

S.T. Annie FD28

Technical

Official Number: 106973
Yard Number: 580
Gross Tonnage: 158
Completed: 1898
Net Tonnage: 56
Length: 105.8 ft
Breadth: 20.9 ft
Depth: 10.9 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by H. S. Edwards & Sons, South Shields
Boiler: Jos. T. Eltringham & Co, South Shields
Built: Edwards Bros, North Shields

History

7.2.1898: Launched by Edwards Brothers, North Shields (Yd.No.580) for The Hartlepool Steam Fishing Co Ltd, West Hartlepool as ANNIE.
3.1898: Completed (Charles H. Ford, manager). Registered at West Hartlepool (HL53).
1899: Sold Fiskeri-aktieselskabet Isafold (Isafold Fishing Co Ltd), Iceland. Renamed DALANES.
1900: Sold to Joseph Brown, Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
1901: Registered Newcastle (NE1).
1901: Sold to James Herbert Marr, Hull (managing owner). Fishing from Fleetwood.
5.7.1902: Mortgaged to Williams Deacon’s Bank Ltd, London (A).
1904: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood (James H. Marr, manager). Renamed ANNIE (NE1).
28.2.1905: Registered at Fleetwood (FD28).
14.8.1905: Mortgage (A) discharged.
14.8.1905: Fleetwood registry closed.
1905: Sold to Tejero, Marimos & Co, Corunna for £3350. Renamed GERÓ.
1924: Not in Yard List under any name.
1936: Sold for breaking up.

Changelog
17/05/2012: Page published. 4 updates since then.

S.T. Active FD157

Technical

Official Number: 99561
Yard Number: 83
Completed: 1892
Gross Tonnage: 149
Net Tonnage: 62
Length: 102.4 ft
Breadth: 20.6 ft
Depth: 11 ft
Engine: 45nhp T.3-cyl by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Speed 10 knots
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull

History

16.2.1892: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull (Yd.No.83) for Pickering & Haldane’s Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as ACTIVE.
8.3.1892: Registered at Hull (H191).
3.1892: Completed.
9.1.1893: New certificate issued.
26.2.1906: Re-registered at Hull (H191).
18.1.1909: Sold to Thomas R. Porter & Benjamin J. Ridge, Newlyn.
1912: Sold to James Herbert Marr, Fleetwood.
10.5.1912: Sold to The Active Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (James A. Robertson, managers).
18.11.1912: Hull registry closed.
19.11.1912: Registered at Fleetwood (FD157).
5.10.1916: Sold to Horace E. Stroud, Aberdeen.
22.3.1917: Fleetwood registry closed.
26.3.1917: Registered at Aberdeen (A776).
26.4.1917: Stopped by U-boat (UC50) 65 miles E by S of Longstone Light and scuttled.
21.5.1917: Aberdeen registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Active H191

S.T. Active H191
Picture courtesy of Grimsby Reference Library

Changelog
14/05/2012: Page published. 5 revisions since then.
11/09/2014: Picture added.

S.T. Tasmania FD171

Technical

Official Number: 98716
Yard Number: 59
Completed: 1891
Gross Tonnage: 146.12
Net Tonnage: 50
Length: 100.5 ft
Breadth: 20.5 ft
Depth: 11.5 ft
Engine: 45nhp T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull

History

1891: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull (Yd.No.59) for The Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Hull as TASMANIA.
17.1.1891: Registered at Hull (H122).
1.1891: Completed (Henry Toozes, manager).
21.11.1893: In the North Sea connected to the Swedish barque JOUEHELD disabled with main and mizzen masts carried away and crew member Carl Michelsen washed overboard and drowned. Delivered Hartlepool after a tow of twenty-one hours.
11.1912: Sold to James Herbert Marr, Fleetwood & The Active Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (James A. Robertson, manager).
18.11.1912: Hull registry closed.
19.11.1912: Registered at Fleetwood (FD171).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 60.12 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
6.10.1916: Sold to Horace Edward Stroud & Sydney Morris Cannon, Aberdeen.
31.10.1916: Fleetwood registry closed.
3.11.1916: Registered at Aberdeen (A737). Horace E. Stroud designated managing owner.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
30.3.1918: Sold to James Johnson, Scarborough (trading as Scorpion Steam Trawling Co). James Johnson designated managing owner.
1918: Tasmania Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Scarborough registered as a private company with a capital of £9,000 in £1 shares to take over the “Scorpion Steam Trawling Co” including the steam trawler TASMANIA. Directors are J. Johnson, D. Chew, R. W. Crawford, R. M. Parker ad G. H. Cambridge, all Scarborough.
1919: Released.
4.4.1919: Sold to Charles William Robinson, Redcar. Charles William Robinson designated managing owner.
1923: Sold for breaking up.
12.10.1923: Aberdeen registry closed “Vessel being broken up.”

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Tasmania H122

S.T. Tasmania H122
Picture courtesy of James Cullen

Changelog
08/01/2009: Page published.
14/07/2014: Picture added.
20/01/2016: Information added.

S.T. Socrates FD163

Technical

Official Number: 123356
Yard Number: 331
Completed: 1906
Gross Tonnage: 296
Net Tonnage: 110
Length: 138.6 ft
Breadth: 23 ft
Depth: 11.8 ft
Built: Mackie & Thompson, Govan
Engine: T.3-cyl by W. V. V. Lidgerwood, Coatbridge

History

12.5.1906: Launched by Mackie & Thomson, Govan (Yd.No.331) for Anglo-Norwegian Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull as SOCRATES.
12.6.1906: Registered at Hull (H885).
6.1906: Completed (William R. Leyman, manager).
10.10.1912: Sold to James H. Marr, Fleetwood for £5250.
15.11.1912: Hull registry closed.
16.11.1912: Registered at Fleetwood (FD163).
7.12.1912: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood (James H. Marr, manager).
7.1.1913: Homeward from fishing grounds (Sk.Philip Burman). In thick fog and drizzle, stranded on rocks in Clanyard Bay, Wigtownshire. Crew of eleven scaled cliffs and made their way to Drummore. At high water slipped from rocks and submerged.
1.1913: Survey by Liverpool and Glasgow Salvage Association’s steam derrick barge LADY KATE (135grt/1881) indicated little damage but offer to refloat was declined by Hull Steam Trawlers Mutual Insurance Co.
21.1.1913: Fleetwood registry closed “Total loss”. Wreck stripped.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Socrates H885

S.T. Socrates H885
Picture courtesy of Billy Worrall

S.T. Socrates FD163

S.T. Socrates FD163
Picture courtesy of The James Cullen Collection

S.T. Socrates FD163

S.T. Socrates FD163
Picture courtesy of Fred Baker

Changelog
07/01/2009: Page published.
19/05/2014: Picture added.
01/06/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from images.

S.T. Ethel FD173

Technical

Official Number: 124698
Yard Number: 267
Completed: 1907
Gross Tonnage: 278
Net Tonnage: 106
Length: 130 ft
Breadth: 22.6 ft
Depth: 12.1 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by W. V. V. Lidgerwood, Coatbridge
Built: Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole

History

22.10.1907: Launched by Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole (Yd.No.267) for Louis Cohen (64/64), Norbreck as ETHEL.
12.1907: Completed.
27.12.1907: Registered at Fleetwood (FD173) Louis Cohen, managing owner.
27.12.1907: Mortgaged to London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (A).
20.6.1912: Mortgage (A) discharged.
21.6.1912: Sold to Phoebe Hoyle (64/64), Halifax.
21.6.1912: Sold to George E. J. Moody (64/64), Grimsby. Appointed managing owner.
24.6.1912: Sold to The Active Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (James A. Robertson, managing owner).
24.6.1912: Mortgaged for £4500 @ 5% to James Herbert Marr, Fleetwood (B).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 108.58 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
6.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr) (Ad.No.1595). Based Lerwick.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
1919: Sold to Hf. Atlanta, Iceland (Elias Stefansson, manager).
9.12.1919: Fleetwood registry closed.
12.1919: Registered at Reykjavik (RE237).
1920: Skuli Jonsson appointed manager).
1923: Landed salt fish from Iceland (£849).
1923: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood (James A. Robertson, manager).
12.1923: Reykjavik registry closed.
18.12.1923: Registered at Fleetwood as IRVANA (FD430).
5.1.1924: BoT approval for sale to Portugal.
8.2.1924: Fleetwood registry closed.
1925: Sold to Comissariado Geral dos Abastecimentos, Lisbon. Registered at Lisbon as APOLO.
1.1927: Sold to Sociedade Comercial Maritima Ltda, Lisbon. Registered at Lisbon as CABO JUBY.
1958: Sold for breaking up.

Changelog

19/12/2008: Page published. 2 updates since then.