Official Number: 129236
Yard Number: 180
Gross Tonnage: 212.83
Net Tonnage: 78
Length: 111.4 ft
Breadth: 22.6 ft
Depth: 12.2 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
5.6.1909: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.180) for Hellyer’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull as YORICK.
12.8.1909: Registered at Hull (H49). Charles Hellyer appointed manager.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 87.23 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
27.11.1919: Sold to Hull Northern Fishing Co Ltd, Hull. William R. Nowell appointed manager.
3.1.1930: Sold to Hellyer Bros. Ltd, Hull. Frank O. Hellyer & Owen S. Hellyer appointed managers.
1931: Sold to Jenkerson & Jones, Milford Haven. T. Jenkerson designated managing owner.
1932: Sold to Hellyer Bros. Ltd, Hull. Frank O. Hellyer & Owen S. Hellyer appointed managers.
14.11.1935: Sold to Alexander Hay, Aberdeen.
19.11.1935: Hull registry closed.
21.11.1935: Registered at Aberdeen (A382). Alexander Hay designated managing owner.
2.1941: Sold to Hellyer Bros. Ltd, Hull.
24.2.1941: Aberdeen registry closed.
2.1941: Registered at Hull (H410). Owen Stooks Hellyer appointed manager.
3.7.1944: Sold to Ocean Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull. William Leslie Barkworth appointed manager.
27.6.1945: Sold to Eton Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby. George Gillard appointed manager
5.2.1946: Sold to Odafoam Ltd, Liverpool. William Stevenson, St. Anne’s-on-the-Sea appointed manager.
12.1946: Sold to Grateful Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen.
1.1947: Hull registry closed.
4.1.1947: Registered at Aberdeen (A247).
1955: Sold to BISCO for £2,525 and allocated to Shipbreaking Industries Ltd for breaking up at Charlestown, Fife (Contract No.86D).
2.8.1955: Delivered Charlestown from Aberdeen under own power.
8.1955: Breaking up commenced.
9.2.1956: Aberdeen registry closed “Vessel broken up”.
Click to enlarge images
29/11/2016: Page published.
Additional information courtesy of Andy Hall
Official Number: 137154
Yard Number: 405
Gross Tonnage: 215.74
Net Tonnage: 83.07
Length: 115.0 ft
Breadth: 22.6 ft
Depth: 12.3 ft
Built: The John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen
Engine: T.3-cyl by W. V. V. Lidgerwood Ltd, Coatbridge, Glasgow
1914: Launched by The John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen (Yd.No.405) for The National Steam Fishing Co (Aberdeen) Ltd, Aberdeen as LEUKOS.
27.8.1914: Registered at Aberdeen (A102). James Scott Jnr appointed manager.
12.12.1914: Arrived Aberdeen (Sk. George Robertson) with body of a naval officer picked up at sea to the NE of Aberdeen. Body believed to be an officer belonging to HMS HAWKE (Capt. Hugh P. E. T. Williams RN) torpedoed off Peterhead by U-boat (U.9) on
6.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a boom defence trawler (Ad.No.N.I.). Based Scapa, Orkney.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Aberdeen.
27.1.1920: Sold to Arthur Reginald Tucker & James Cornelius Tippet, Cardiff. James Cornelius Tippet appointed manager.
2.4.1920: Sold to Tucker, Tippet & Co Ltd, Cardiff. James Cornelius Tippet appointed manager.
1922: Fishing from Milford. Harry E. East managing agent.
27.2.1927: Sailed Milford for the fishing grounds (Sk. Edward Major). Owing to weather outside came to anchor off Popton Point.
28.2.1927: At about 10.00am. observed trawler THOMAS BARTLETT (LO373) coming in from sea and anchored close by, the wind was south west to west blowing a strong gale. The bosun, Charles Richard Johnson was on anchor watch, and reported to the skipper that the THOMAS BARTLETT was dragging and when some 20 to 30 yards away it appeared she would drive across the bows. The whistle was sounded and the THOMAS BARTLETT eased her cable and started to come astern but did not clear, hitting the stem with the port side, the head coming round to starboard and the THOMAS BARTLETT dropped down along side on the starboard side. No damage to the stem was apparent.
28.2.1927: Sailed for the fishing grounds but found water ingress in way of the stem, temporary repair carried out by Ch Eng. and continued on voyage.
1.6.1927: Last landing at Milford.
18.6.1927: Sold to Dublin Trawling, Ice and Cold Storage Co Ltd, Dublin.
24.6.1927: Aberdeen registry closed.
6.1927: Registered at Dublin (D86). Patrick Fannon appointed manager. Occasional landings at Fleetwood.
Mid 2.1940: Last landing at Fleetwood.
29.2.1940: Sailed Dublin for the fishing grounds via Troon to coal (Sk. James Potter Thomasson); eleven hands all told. The ship had the Irish tricolour painted on her hull clearly indicating a vessel from a neutral country; fitted with wireless.
1.3.1940: Sailed Troon for the ‘the bank’ off Tory Island.
9.3.1940: In forenoon spoke to two other trawlers of the same company in Donegal Bay, confirmed a good catch and ETA Dublin 12.3.1940.
9.3.1940: A group of Fleetwood trawlers fishing 12 miles NW of Tory Island, Co. Donegal, ALVIS (H52); FLYING ADMIRAL (H66); JOHN MORRICE (A786); PELAGOS (GN55) and SEDOCK (GY123) and reported with the Irish trawler LEUKOS (D86) also in the vicinity. At 2003 (Wilhelshaven time) a U-boat (U.38) surfaced having observed through periscope and listening device the group of trawlers. On the surface noticed that all had their lights on and were apparently forming a guarding line on a N-S course. In his log the CO. Kptlt. Heinrich Liebe wrote “I decided to administer a warning to one of them with the gun.” At 2113, and within about 200 metres of the target, fired a single round at a ship, hitting her in the engine room; the U-boat withdrew staying on the surface about one hour until ship foundered. No attempt was made by the U-boat to identify the vessel or search for survivors. None of the five trawlers in the vicinity closed to investigate, if in fact they were aware of the incident. Although no conclusive evidence confirms, the ship probably was the LEUKOS; all eleven crew lost*.
16.3.1940: Owners expressed fears for the safety of the vessel.
21.3.1940: Lifeboat containing a lifebuoy bearing the name ‘S.T. LEUKOS’ washed up at Scarinish, Tiree, Inner Hebrides.
26.3.1940: Posted missing.
1940: Dublin registry closed.
(Lost* – Sk. James P. Thomasson (29) married, Milton Street, Fleetwood & 63 Lower Mount Street, Dublin; James Donnelly (42) married, North Albert Street, Fleetwood, Mate; P. J. O’Scanlon, 5 Douglas Road, Cleethorpes, Bosun; Alec McLeod (50) single, Wyre Street, Fleetwood and 53 Kenneth Street, Stornoway, Ch Eng; Bernard Smith (23), 10 Boyne Street, Dublin, 2nd Eng; Thomas Mulligan single, The Mission, Fleetwood & Catholic Seamens Institute, Dublin & Anthony Pill (18) single, The Mission, Fleetwood & Catholic Seamens Institute, Dublin, deckhands; Michael Cullen (17) single, 29 Boyne Street, Dublin, fireman; Patricio McCarthy (42) single, 40 Carlton Street, Marino, Dublin, cook; James Hawkins (17) single, 69 Park Road, Ringsend, Dublin & Fleetwood and Robert Sumler (16) single, 63 Lower Mount Street, Dublin & Milton Street, Fleetwood (brother-in-law of the skipper), apprentices )
Click to enlarge image
08/02/2016: Page published.
Additional information courtesy of Barry Banham (http://www.milfordtrawlers.org.uk/)
Official Number: 137640
Yard Number: 65
Gross Tonnage: 97
Net Tonnage: 42
Length: 85.5 ft
Breadth: 18.6 ft
Depth: 9.2 ft
Built: J. Lewis & Sons Ltd
Engine: T.3-cyl (No.136) and boiler (No.83) by J. Lewis & Sons Ltd, Aberdeen
1918: Launched by J. Lewis & Sons Ltd (Yd.No.65) (Admiralty standard drifter) for The Admiralty as MIRAGE (Ad.No.3926).
16.12.1918: Completed (1-6pdr).
31.7.1920: Transferred to The Fishery Board for Scotland, Edinburgh for disposal.
1920: Sold under HM Treasury mortgage agreement (Disposal of Admiralty Drifters to Ex-service Fishermen) to John Horne, Cockenzie (managing owner) for £6,500, reduced to £4,875; deposit paid £250.
24.7.1920: Registered at Granton as THORNTREE (GN73). Official No.137640.
20.7.1921: Fishing off Berwickshire coast (Sk. John Horne). Refused to stop when ordered by Fishery Board for Scotland vessel MAELSTROM (96grt/1919) after being observed fishing inside the legal limit off St. Abbs. Arrested after 60 mile chase and also charged with failing to display or concealing, name and port of registration. At Duns Sheriff Court fined a total of £140.
12.1924: Sold to Adam Vyse, North Shields & W. Wood, Cellardyke (John T. Graham, Anstruther, manager).
19.12.1924: Granton registry closed.
12.1924: Registered at Kirkcaldy (KY33).
1928: Sold to James Dougal, Eyemouth. Kirkcaldy registry closed. Registered at Berwick as MARY & JANE (BK271).
9.1939: Sold to Arthur C. Mitchell, Lowestoft.
20.3.1940: Registered at Lowestoft (LT129) as owned by Jackora Ltd, Lowestoft (Arthur C. Mitchell, manager).
4.4.1940: Registered at Lowestoft as JACKORA (LT129) (BoT Minute R.G.1400/1040 dated 11.3.1940).
1950s: Seasonal trawling for white fish from Milford, occasional landings at Fleetwood.
1.4.1950: Landed 111 boxes, £645 gross.
1955: Sold to Belgian shipbreakers.
22.5.1955: Sailed Lowestoft for Antwerp in tow of steam drifter EXCEL IV (LT171) (Sk. Gowan) also for breaking.
22.5.1955: Lowestoft registry closed.
Click to enlarge image
16/09/2013: Page published. 6 revisions since then.
29/07/2014: Picture added
Additional information courtesy of Barry Banham (http://www.milfordtrawlers.org.uk/) and Robert Durrant (PLRS)
Official Number: 131875
Yard Number: 859
Gross Tonnage: 96
Net Tonnage: 41
Length: 86.2 ft
Breadth: 18.5 ft
Depth: 9.3 ft
Built: Lea Shipbuilding & Repairing Co, Canning Town
Engine: 270ihp T.3-cyl by David & R. B. Scott, Tayport
Boiler: Hewitt & Kellitt Ltd, Bradford.
1919: Launched by Lea Shipbuilding & Repairing Co, Canning Town (Yd.No.859) (“Admiralty drifter”) for The Admiralty as WIRLBLAST.
31.7.1920: Completed as a fishing vessel.
9.12.1920: Transferred to The Fishery Board for Scotland, Edinburgh for disposal. Laid up at Dundee.
1921: Sold under HM Treasury mortgage agreement (Disposal of Admiralty Drifters to Ex-service Fishermen) to David Watson, Cellardyke (Thomas Cunningham, Anstruther, manager) for £6,400 with no deposit paid, later reduced to £4,800; less £500 for defects found.
1921: Registered at Kirkcaldy as STELLA AURORAE (KY45). Official No.131875.
22.8.1922: Outstanding payments £716.13.4d capital, £396.14.4d interest.
9.1923: Paid up.
28.1.1925: Sold to Bloomfield’s Ltd, Gt. Yarmouth & J. Watt, Fraserburgh (Neil Mackay, Caister-on-Sea, manager). Kirkcaldy registry closed. Registered at Fraserburgh (FR54). 11.1929: Sold to Henry H. Catchpole, Lowestoft (managing owner).
11.1929: Fraserburgh registry closed.
26.11.1929: Registered at Lowestoft (LT116).
9.12.1929: Registered at Lowestoft as ABIDING FRIEND (LT116) (BoT Minute M/R.G.1526/29).
7.3.1938: Sold to Arthur C. Mitchell (42/64), Milford Haven & George Mitchell (22/64), Lowestoft (Arthur C. Mitchell, manager).
19.4.1938: Registered at Lowestoft as JACKEVE (LT116) (BoT Minute M/R.G.1149/38).
23.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeping drifter (P.No.FY958) (Hire rate £32.16.0d/month).
.1943: Employed on miscellaneous naval duties.
4.4.1944: Sold to Haven Trawlers Ltd, Milford Haven (Robert Lewis, Milford Haven, manager).
14.11.1945: Returned to owner.
7.4.1946: Sold to W. H. Kerr Ltd, Milford Haven.
17.4.1946: Sold to Hamilton Fishing Co Ltd, Milford Haven (W. H. Kerr Ltd, managers).
1950s: Seasonal white fish trawling from Fleetwood.
1954: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Thos W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up at Castle Pill, Milford Haven.
27.5.1955: Lowestoft registry closed.
1951 17 landings at Lowestoft, fished from Fleetwood between March and July.
1952 28 landings at Lowestoft, fished from Fleetwood between June and August including 9 landings from broken trips with engine and winch problems.
1953. No landings in Lowestoft, fished from Fleetwood, Padstow and Milford.
1954. 9 landings at Lowestoft, fished for 3 months from Fleetwood, 7 landings there and 3 broken trips with engine problems.
1955. No details, vessel scrapped.
Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow
Official Number: 104168
Yard Number: 104
Gross Tonnage: 150
Net Tonnage: 63
Length: 101.0 ft
Breadth: 20.3 ft
Depth: 11.0 ft
Built: Cochrane & Cooper, Beverley
Engine: 280ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes Ltd, Hull
7.5.1894: Launched by Cochrane & Cooper, Beverley (Yd.No.104) for Thomas Campbell Moss & Frederick Moss, Grimsby (32/64 joint owners); Frederick Emil Hagerup (8/64), Charles Denton Holmes (8/64), Grimsby and George Cooper (8/64), Arthur Cochrane (8/64), Beverley as DIAMOND.
29.5.1894: Registered at Grimsby (GY603).
29.5.1894: Thomas Campbell Moss designated managing owner.
29.5.1894: Vessel mortgaged 64/64) to The Hull Banking Co Ltd, Hull (A).
1.1.1895: Mortgage (A) transferred to The York City & County Banking Co Ltd, York.
2.11.1895: Mortgage (A) discharged.
9.11.1895: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The York City & County Banking Co Ltd, York (B).
5.6.1901: Andrew Cochrane and George Cooper shares (8/64 each) sold to Thomas Campbell Moss & Frederick Moss (48/64 joint owners), Grimsby.
5.6.1901: Thomas Campbell Moss continues as manager.
9.11.1901: Frederik Emil Hagerup (8/64) shares mortgaged to Arthur Henry Leslie Melville & Eustace Albert Smith, Grimsby, joint mortgagees (C).
28.2.1905: Mortgage (C) discharged.
1.7.1908: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The York City & County Banking Co Ltd, York (D).
6.7.1908: Mortgage (B) discharged.
2.5.1911: Mortgage (D) discharged.
2.12.1914: Charles Denton Holmes shares (8/64) sold to Thomas Campbell Moss & Frederick Moss (56/64 jointly), Grimsby.
22.9.1911: Frederick Emil Hagerup shares (8/64) sold to Thomas Campbell Moss & Frederick Moss (64/64 jointly), Grimsby.
18.12.1914: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to London Joint Stock Bank Ltd, London (E).
19.1.1917: Mortgage (E) discharged.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve (1-6pdr HA). Renamed DIAMOND II.
1919: Released and reverted to DIAMOND (GY603).
14.2.1921: Sold to T. C. & F. Moss Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
21.3.1921: Thomas Campbell Moss appointed manager.
8.10.1921: William Thomas Moss appointed manager.
22.12.1945: Sold to Jubilee Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), London.
1.1.1946: Ernest Thomas Milton appointed manager.
1940s-1950s: Seasonal fishing from Fleetwood.
07.1952: Sold for breaking up.
26.7.1952: Grimsby registry closed “Ship being broken up”.