Tag Archives: Devon ST

S.T. Moulmein H61

S.T. Moulmein FD132

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 104239
Yard Number: 503
Completed: 1895
Gross Tonnage: 151
Net Tonnage: 40
Length: 100.6 ft
Breadth: 20.6 ft
Depth: 11 ft
Engine: 320ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by N.E. Marine Engineering Co Ltd, Sunderland
Built: Edwards Bros, North Shields

History

25.5.1895: Launched by Edwards Bros, North Shields (Yd.No.503) for George Beeching, Fleetwood (managing owner) as MOULMEIN.
6.1895: Completed.
26.6.1895: Registered at Fleetwood (FD132).
1897: Sold to Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd, Manchester (John E. A. Kelsall & George Beeching, Fleetwood, managers).
1899: Transferred to Hull.
30.3.1899: Registered at Hull (H61).
12.5.1899: Fleetwood registry closed.
22.10.1904: The Dogger Bank Incident. Shelled and damaged by Russian Navy Baltic Fleet while fishing on the Dogger Bank. Russians on passage to the Pacific in the darkness opened fire on the trawlers (approx 45 vessels) under the impression that they were about to be attacked.
8.9.1911: Registered office transferred to Hull (George Beeching, Hull & John E. A. Kelsall, London, managers).
21.5.1913: Sold to George Clarkson, Fleetwood.
23.5.1913: George Clarkson appointed managing owner.
23.5.1913: Mortgaged to James Herbert Marr, Fleetwood (A).
7.7.1913: Hull registry closed.
8.7.1913: Registered at Fleetwood (FD187).
6.8.1913: Sold to The Devon Steam Trawling Co, Fleetwood (George Clarkson, manager).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 59.04 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
18.11.1916: Sold to Henry Carl Smethurst (64/64), Grimsby. Henry Carl Smethurst designated managing owner.
13.12.1916: Fleetwood registry closed.
18.12.1916: Registered at Grimsby (GY1007).
23.12.1916: Sold to Henry Carl Smethurst, John Wintringham Smethurst & William Winteringham Smethurst, all Grimsby (64/64 joint owners). John Wintringham Smethurst designated managing owner.
28.3.1917: Stopped by U-boat (UC77) with a shot across the bows whilst fishing 25 miles NE of Longstone Light and scuttled by opening seacocks and scuttles. Vessel position 56.00N 1.13W.
14.5.1917: Grimsby registry closed “Sunk by German submarine”.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Moulmein H61

S.T. Moulmein H61
Picture courtesy of The Mike Thompson Collection

S.T. Moulmein H61

S.T. Moulmein H61
Picture from the Internet

S.T. Moulmein FD132

S.T. Moulmein FD132
Picture from the Internet

Russians open fire

Russians open fire
Picture from the Internet

S.T. Mino H799

S.T. Mino H799
Picture courtesy of The Mike Thompson Collection

Changelog
19/01/2009: Page published. 9 updates since then.
18/09/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.

S.T. Cevic (1) FD133

Additional information : Dictionary of Shipwrecks off the Isle of Man ©Adrian Corkhill 2001

Technical

Official Number: 105911
Yard Number: 504
Completed: 1895
Gross Tonnage: 151
Net Tonnage: 59
Length: 106 ft
Breadth: 20.6 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Engine: 50RHP T.3-cyl by North Eastern Marine Engineering Co. Ltd. Sunderland.
Built: Edward Bros, North Shields (iron built as a beam trawler)

History

8.6.1895: Launched by Edwards Bros, North Shields (Yd.No.504) for John E. A. Kelsall (64/64), Fleetwood as CEVIC.
11.7.1895: Registered at Fleetwood (FD133). John E. A. Kelsall designated managing owner.
7.1895: Completed.
1897: Sold to Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd (64/64), Manchester. John A. E. Kelsall & George Beeching, Fleetwood designated managers.
1899: Transferred to Hull.
30.3.1899: Registered at Hull (H76).
12.5.1899: Fleetwood registry closed.
8.9.1911: Registered office transferred to Hull. George Beeching, Hull & John E. A. Kelsall, London designated managers.
21.5.1913: Sold to George Clarkson, Fleetwood.
23.5.1913: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to James Herbert Marr, Fleetwood (A).
23.5.1913: George Clarkson designated manager.
8.7.1913: Sold to The Devon Steam Trawling Co (64/64), Fleetwood. George Clarkson, designated manager.
7.7.1913: Hull registry closed.
8.7.1913: Registered at Fleetwood (FD186).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 58.53 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
1916: James A. Robertson designated manager.
3.1917: At Fleetwood. Defensively armed, fitted with Hotchkiss 6pdr gun (No.1857); complement increased by two gunners.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
9.9.1918: Sold to Ernest Taylor & Noah Ashworth (64/64 joint owners), Fleetwood. Joseph A. Taylor designated manager.
1919: Released.
18.7.1924: Sold to The Cevic Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood. Charles H. Friswell designated manager.
1925: Richard Neave designated manager.
25.6.1927: Anchored in Ramsey Bay for shelter in ‘boisterous’ weather, Skipper Dick Collinson and three crew ashore. Weather deteriorated unable to return.
26.6.1927: Punt laying astern started to ship water, 2nd Engineer boarded but punt caste adrift. With no officers onboard crew weighed anchor to recover boat, which unknown to them had drifted ashore. In strong NE wind abandoned search and came to anchor off Ballure, Ramsey South Beach but failed to hold and driven on to the bank at Granch, South of Ramsey pounding heavily. In response to flares Ramsey lifeboat Matthew Simpson launched and with difficulty took off crew of six .
6/7.1927: Vessel eventually driven ashore under cliffs and wedged in rocks with extensive damage to bottom and starboard side shell plating. Declared a total loss.
8.8.1927: Fleetwood registry closed. Some remains of vessel still visible.

(Crew – Sk. Richard Collinson; J. Bywater, Mate; E. Salthouse, Bosun; J. Hobbs, Ch.Eng; J. Dicks, 2nd Eng; J. Kitchen & J. Harrison, deckhands; T. Whiteside & W. Holden, apprentices; J. Simms, fireman; P. Corrigan, cook)

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Cevic FD186

S.T. Cevic FD186
Picture from the Internet

S.T. Cevic H76

S.T. Cevic H76
Picture courtesy of The James Cullen Collection

S.T. Cevic FD133

S.T. Cevic FD186
Picture from the Internet

S.T. Cevic FD133

S.T. Cevic FD133
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
14/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
25/03/2017: Removed disputed image and FMHT watermark.
18/03/2018: Image added.
12/11/2019: information updated.

S.T. River Dart FD227

Technical

Official Number: 127568
Yard Number: 415
Completed: 1908
Gross Tonnage: 328
Net Tonnage: 130
Length: 141 ft
Breadth: 24.1 ft
Depth: 12.67 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole

History

28.9.1908: Launched by Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole (Yd.No.415) for The Devon Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (John R. Dier, manager). as RIVER DART.
11.1908: Completed.
14.11.1908: Registered at Fleetwood (FD227).
1913: Sold to C. J. Spahde, Riga, Russia.
9.5.1913: Fleetwood registry closed.
1913: Registered at Archangel as SAPAD.
Post 1913. Registered at Archangel as ZAPAD.
7.1915: Requisitioned by Russian Naval Authorities as a minesweeper.
12.1916: Renamed T.12.
3.8.1918: Seized in White Sea and subsequently renamed STEAMAXE (Ad.No.4342).
1.11.1919: Inward from Murmansk to Rosyth, stranded on rocks off Inchkeith Island, Firth of Forth.
1921: Salved and cut up.

Changelog
04/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.

S.T. Lucida FD20 (2)

Technical

Official Number: 136895
Yard Number: 266
Completed: 1914
Gross Tonnage: 251
Net Tonnage: 97
Length: 126.8 ft
Breadth: 23 ft
Depth: 12.1 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Lidgerwood Ltd, Glasgow
Built: Dundee Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Dundee

History

25.6.1914: Launched by Dundee Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Dundee (Yd.No.266) for Devon Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood as LUCIDA.
21.8.1914: Registered at Fleetwood (FD20). George Clarkson designated manager.
8.1914: Completed. Requisitioned from the builders for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr, 1-7.5” A/S Howitzer) (Ad.No.925).
1916: James Alexander Robertson designated manager.
1917: At Berehaven, Co. Cork as armed trawler.
1.4.1917: With HM Trawler DRAKE II (Ad.No.817) (GY1163) assisted HM Trawler INA WLLIAMS (Ad.No.2658) (GY872) towing British steam tanker LUCILINE
(3765grt/1899) from Ventry, Co. Kerry to Berehaven (LUCILINE was torpedoed on 13.3.1917 by U-boat (U61) some 40 miles WNW of Tearaght Island, Co. Kerry) . After leaving weather deteriorated and great difficulty was experienced in getting the ship round.
2.4.1917: At 7.00 am arrived Berehaven.
5.12.1918: Sold to The Active Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood. James A. Robertson designated manager.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
12.10.1924: James A. Robertson died.
10.1924: Alan Marr designated manager.
1.12.1925: Alan Marr died.
12.1925: Joseph Arthur Marr designated manager.
1.4.1929: Joseph A. Marr retired to manage Dinas Steam Trawling Co Ltd.
4.1929: Geoffrey Edwards Marr designated manager.
20.1.1931: At Bangor, Sk. T. Rogerson was fined £10 for illegal trawling off the Welsh coast.
11.11.1933: Fishing off Barra arrested by HMS DOON for fishing without lights. Armed guard placed on board and ordered to proceed to Stornoway, but made off with HMS DOON in pursuit.
12.11.1933: Apprehended by HMS DOON off Cumberland coast. Skipper taken onboard and both proceeded to Larne.
13.11.1933: Sailed Larne for Stornoway.
17.11.1933: At the Sheriff Court, Stornoway, Sk. Bertram was found Not Guilty of refusing to comply with instructions given by the Captain of HMS DOON. 10.1934: Sold to George Robb & Sons Ltd, Aberdeen.
20.10.1934: Fleetwood registry closed.
22.10.1934: Registered at Aberdeen (A175). George Robb designated manager.
1939: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood. Basil Arthur Parkes, Blackpool designated manager.
11.1.1940: Mined in North Sea; Sk. A. C. Thundercliffe and crew of eleven lost.
16.3.1940: Aberdeen registry closed “Vessel sunk by enemy action”.

(Lost – Sk. A. C. Thundercliffe, L. Austin, Albert Brooker, Arthur Brooker, J. Cullen, J. A. Downs, G. Morley, L. Nixon, F. Peacham, J. A. Pinchbeck. H. Whitfield, W. Widdowson.)

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Lucida FD20

S.T. Lucida FD20
Picture from the Internet

S.T. Lucida  FD20

S.T. Lucida FD20
Picture from the Internet

S.T. Lucida  FD20

S.T. Lucida FD20
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
26/12/2008: Page published. 9 updates since then.
03/06/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.
30/10/2019: Updated information and added an image.