Tag Archives: Kelsall Bros & Beeching Ltd

S.T. Majestic FD181 (1)

Technical

Official Number 98714
Yard Number: 41
Completed: 1891
Gross Tonnage: 151.68
Net Tonnage: 55.76
Length: 105.4 ft
Breadth: 20.6 ft
Depth: 11 ft
Built: Cochrane, Cooper & Schofield, Beverley
Engine:T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull

History

29.10.1890: Launched by Cochrane, Cooper & Schofield, Beverley (Yd.No.41) for John Kelsall (64/64), Manchester as MAJESTIC.
30.12.1890: Registered at Hull (H120). John Kelsall designated managing owner.
7.1.1891: Completed.
1895: Transferred to fish out of Fleetwood. Kelsall & Co, designated managers.
27.8.1897: Hull registry closed.
23.1.1897: Sold to Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd (64/64), Manchester. John E. A. Kelsall & George Beeching, Fleetwood designated managers.
4.9.1897: Registered at Fleetwood (FD181).
24.3.1899: Fleetwood registry closed. Transferred to fish out of Hull.
13.4.1899: Registered at Hull (H444).
22.10.1904: The Dogger Bank Incident. Shelled and damaged by Russian Navy Baltic Fleet while fishing on the Dogger Bank. Russians on passage to the Pacific in the darkness opened fire on the trawlers (approx 45 vessels) under the impression that they were about to be attacked.
8.9.1911: Registered office transferred to Hull. George Beeching, Hull & John E. A. Kelsall, London designated managers.
26.1.1912: Sold to James S. McGillivray (64/64), Macduff. James S. McGillivray designated managing owner.
26.1.1912: Mortgaged to Kelsall Bros & Beeching Ltd, Hull for sum of £325 at 5% interest (A). Fitted out as a drifter.
4.5.1912: Hull registry closed.
5.1912: Registered at Banff (BF478).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 60.93 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
4.1917: Mortgage (A) discharged.
5.1917: Sold to Henry Smethurst (64/64), Grimsby for use as a trawler. John Wintringham Smethurst designated manager.
5.1917: Banff registry closed.
25.5.1917: Registered at Grimsby (GY1054) as a trawler.
8.6.1917: Sold to Henry Smethurst, Henry Carl Smethurst, John Wintringham Smethurst & William Wintringham Smethurst, all Grimsby (64/64 joint owners).
12.6.1917: John Wintringham Smethurst designated manager.
15.6.1917: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (A).
19.11.1917: Mortgage (A) discharged.
28.11.1917: Sold to Benjamin Simpson, Scarborough, Thomas Crimlis, Filey, & Frank Crimlis, Hull (64/64 joint owners).
28.11.1917: Frank Crimlis designated managing owner.
27.12.1917: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The Union of London & Smiths Bank Ltd, London (B).
14.5.1918: Mortgage (B) discharged.
15.5.1918: Sold to Albert William Green (32/64), Grimsby & Jasper George Smith (32/64), London.
16.5.1918: Albert William Green designated managing owner.
16.5.1918: Vessel mortgaged (32/64) & 32/64) to The National Provincial & Union Bank of England Ltd, London (C) & (D).
16.5.1918: Albert William Green (32/64) re mortgaged to Jennie Green, Cleethorpes for the sum of £1500 at 6% interest (E).
7.1918: Registered at Grimsby as SUN-FLAME (GY1054) (BoT Minute M7408/1918).
17.11.1919: Mortgages (C) & (D) discharged.
18.11.1919: Mortgage (E) discharged.
18.11.1919: Sold to Great Yarmouth Steam Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Gt Yarmouth.
18.11.1919: George Herbert Hansell designated manager.
14.1.1920: Grimsby registry closed.
19.1.1920: Registered at Yarmouth (YH229).
1926: Sold for breaking up.
26.10.1926: Yarmouth registry closed “Broken up”.
Click to enlarge image

S.T. Majestic H444

S.T. Majestic H444
Picture courtesy of The George Westwood Collection

Changelog
18/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
15/09/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
30/05/2021: Updated information.

S.T. Warbler LO251

Additional material courtesy of Mike Thompson, Barry Banham and Robert Durrant

Technical

Official Number: 133409
Yard Number: 153
Completed: 1912
Gross Tonnage: 192
Net Tonnage: 72
Length: 110 ft
Breadth: 21.6 ft
Depth: 12 ft
Built: Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole
Engine: T.3-cyl Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull

History

17.8.1912: Launched by Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole (Yd.No.153) for Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd (64/64), Hull as WARBLER.
1.10.1912: Registered at Hull (H507). John E. A. Kelsall, London & George Beeching, Hull appointed managers.
10.1912: Completed.
11.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-3pdr) (Ad.No.412). Based Devonport.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Hull.
7.6.1919: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The London County Westminster & Parr’s Bank Ltd, London (A). John Slater appointed manager.
6.3.1923: Mortgagee re-styled as Westminster Bank Ltd, London.
14.10.1927: Mortgage (A) transferred to William Augustus Hayward, Eastbourne.
14.10.1927: Mortgage (A) transferred to Mercantile Marine Finance Corporation Ltd, London.
22.10.1928: Robert Burton appointed manager.
16.9.1932: Charles Hugh Emerson appointed manager.
10.1932: Mercantile Marine Finance Corporation Ltd in liquidation.
1.11.1932: Mortgage (A) transferred to Harold Frank Hayward, London; Maud Florence Katherine Rogers, Chelsea and Ernest Norton, London (joint mortgagees).
3.1936: Combined boxing and trawling fleet of Kelsall Bros. & Beeching Ltd and the Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd consisting of 59 vessels laid up at Hull (declining catches, coal bill and increased maintenance costs had made the venture uneconomical).
6.3.1936: At Extraordinary General Meeting at Hull, Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd placed in Creditors’ Voluntary Winding-up (Richard Field Helm of Messrs Hodgson Harris & Co, London appointed liquidators).
16.12.1936: Sold by order of the mortgagees under mortgage (A) to Plymouth Mutual Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Plymouth.
21.12.1936: Arrived Plymouth in company with TANAGER (H134).
22.12.1936: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Harold Frank Hayward, London; Maud Florence Katherine Rogers, Corfe Castle and Ernest Norton, London (joint mortgagees) for £500 with interest at 5% (B).
5.1.1937: John Chant, Plymstock appointed manager.
10.12.1937: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to William John Waldron Modley and Richard Edward Stephen Morris, Plymouth (joint mortgagees)(C).
24.12.1937: Mortgage (B) discharged.
31.12.1937: Mortgage (C) discharged.
7.1.1938: Sold to Arthur Dexter, Brixham and Thomas Perrett, Newton Abbot (64/64 joint owners).
17.1.1938: Arthur Dexter appointed manager.
4.2.1938: Sold to Torbay Trawlers Ltd, Brixham.
15.2.1938: Arthur Dexter appointed manager.
28.2.1938: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Midland Bank Ltd, London (D).
4.3.1940: Mortgage (D) discharged. to Plymouth Mutual Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Plymouth.
9.3.1940: Sold to Heward Trawlers Ltd, London (Robert Scott Hewett & Harold Frank Hayward) (Sale sanctioned under Ref. 6165/40 dated 4th March 1940).
1.4.1940: Sold to Brandon Fishing Co Ltd, London. Robert S. Hewett, London appointed manager.
16.4.1940: Hull registry closed.
17.4.1940: Registered at London (LO251). Fishing out of Fleetwood.
28.4.1943: Typical wartime landing, Home Waters. 157 kits – hake-18, cod/coley-28, haddock-6, whiting-46, flats-8, ling/coley-39, roker-7, gurnard-5.
2.1952: Fishing from Lowestoft.
25.2.1954: At Lowestoft landed 4,120 stone grossed £1,644.
22.4.1957: At Lowestoft (Sk Arthur Larner) landed 2,350 stone grossed £2,157.
7.1958: London registry closed.
21.7.1958: Registered at Lowestoft (LT63).
25.7 1958: Sold along with the company to Alick King. Lowestoft (Robert Butcher, manager).
1958: Converted to motor by LBS Engineering Ltd, Lowestoft, fitted with 600bhp 2 SA 6-cyl oil engine by A. K. Diesels Ltd, Lowestoft, reversible trawl winch and adjustable blade propeller.
11.3.1959: Ran successful machinery trials. Transferred to Aberdeen to fish for George Robb & Sons Ltd, Aberdeen. Under Sk. Marshall Ryles fished the Faroe grounds.
1959: On completion of conversion, re measured 195.63grt 72.65n.
1.6.1960: In North Sea, in position 55.80N 04.00E in collision with motor trawler CUTTLEFISH (LT65), resulting in stem damage.
16.8.1960: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Midland Bank Ltd, London (E).
15.1.1962: Jean King, appointed manager.
19.10.1964: Mortgage (E) discharged.
20.10.1964: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Midland Bank Ltd, London (F).
16.3.1965: Disabled in North Sea, motor trawler ROSEVEAR (LT457) connected and delivered Lowestoft.
8.1965: At Lowestoft (Sk.George Quantock) top landing 211 kits grossed £2,140.
1967: Fitted out for standby safety role for offshore platforms, gallows removed, etc.
1.2.1968: Sold to Frederick Ernest Catchpole, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft.
2.1968: Offshore platform standby/safety duties.
6.2.1968: Mortgage (F) discharged.
21.12.1968: Sold to Peter Catchpole (22/64) & George Catchpole (21/64), Oulton Broad, Lowestoft and John Randolph Hashim (21/64), Beccles. Laid up.
8.1970: Re-activated for offshore platform standby/safety duties.
1975: Sold to T. G. Darling Ltd, Oulton Broad for breaking up at Nelson’s Wharf, Oulton Broad by East Anglian Reclaimation Ltd.
10.2.1975: Lowestoft registry closed.
14.6.1976: Breaking up completed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Warbler LO251

S.T. Warbler LO251
Picture courtesy The Barry Banham Maritime Photo collection

S.T. Warbler LO251

M.T. Warbler LT63
Picture from the Internet

M.T. Warbler LT63

M.T. Warbler LT63
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
17/01/2009: Page published. 7 updates since then.
25/11/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.
14/08/2021: Updated history.

S.T. Pigeon FD171

Additional Material courtesy of Mike Thompson

Technical

Official Number: 108527
Yard Number: 551
Completed: 1897
Gross Tonnage: 143
Net Tonnage: 39
Length: 106 ft
Breadth: 20.6 ft
Depth: 10.9 ft
Engine: 300ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by N.E. Marine Engineering Co Ltd, Sunderland
Built: Edward Bros, North Shields

History

20.5.1897: Launched by Edwards Bros, North Shields (Yd.No.551) for Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd, Manchester as PIGEON.
21.6.1897: Registered at Fleetwood (FD171).
1897: Completed (John E. A. Kelsall & George Beeching, Fleetwood, managers).
1899: Transferred to Hull.
8.4.1899: Registered at Hull (H155).
12.5.1899: Fleetwood registry closed.
11.9.1903: E. Folkard, 3rd Hand committed suicide by jumping overboard and was drowned.
5.11.1911: In North Sea (Sk.C. G. Wilkins) in a strong gale and heavy sea at about 6.15pm. heard a whistle blowing. Approached and found steam trawler BASSEIN (H68) in distress. Skipper asked to standby as he had shipped a heavy sea and was filling with water.
6.11.1911: Situation deteriorated, distress signals shown and skipper requested crew to be taken off. About 2.30am. boat launched and crew of nine taken off. Vessel listing heavily to starboard and hoping for a moderation in weather, laid by until the following morning.
7.11.1911: At about 4.30am BASSEIN foundered. (Later Bosun Frederick George Gowen, Hull and 3rd Hand Frank Clayton, Grimsby of PIGEON awarded BoT Sea Gallantry Medal (bronze) for rescue).
9.1.1912: Bosun E. Costello had finger and thumb taken of when hand trapped by boat painter during transfer to cutter.
2.9.1912: Re-measured after lengthening at Goole to 118.2 ft 166g 69n.
2.9.1912: Hull registry closed and vessel registered anew in consequence of material alterations (H155).
8.9.1911: Registered office transferred to Hull (George Beeching, Hull & John E. A. Kelsall, London, managers).
11.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.378).
12.1915: Renamed PIGEON II. Based The Nore.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Hull. Reverted to PIGEON (H155).
7.6.1919: John Slater, London appointed manager.
22.10.1928: Robert Burton appointed manager.
1931: Sold to George Duncan, Mallaig.
1931: Sold to Star Fishing Co Ltd, London (George Duncan, Mallaig, manager).
25.10.1933: Reported alongside at Fraserbugh in sinking condition, apparently abandoned.
1933: Sold for breaking up.
31.12.1934: Hull registry closed “Broken up”.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Pigeon FD171

S.T. Pigeon FD171
Picture courtesy of The David Slinger Collection

Changelog
16/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
08/09/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
13/07/2021: Updated history and technical details.

S.T. Swift FD170

Additional information courtesy of Michael Lowery

Technical

Official Number: 108526
Yard Number: 544
Completed: 1897
Gross Tonnage: 242
Net Tonnage: 76
Length: 133.7 ft
Breadth: 21.6 ft
Depth: 10.8 ft
Engine: 570ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by N.E. Marine Engineering Co Ltd, Sunderland
Built: Edwards Bros, Howden-on-Tyne

History

4.5.1897: Launched by Edwards Bros, Howden-on-Tyne (Yd.No.544) for Kelsall Bros & Beeching Ltd (64/64), Manchester as SWIFT.
9.6.1897: Registered at Fleetwood (FD170).
6.1897: Completed. Employed as a fish carrier for the company’s boxing fleet.
1899: Transferred to Hull.
8.4.1899: Registered at Hull (H99).
12.5.1899: Fleetwood registry closed.
13.5.1899: Suffered damage to shell plating following collision off Cromer with steamer HISPANIA, Grangemouth for Dieppe, cargo pitch. HISPANIA put into Gt Yarmouth with port bow stove in.
2.3.1907: Arrived Hull with survivors and Norwegian schooner PRESTO in tow. PRESTO had sailed Brevig for West Hartlepool cargo ice a month ago, and experienced blizzards and icing. Crew in very poor shape due to hunger, fatigue and frostbite and unable to work the ship with one man washed overboard and too ill to aid him.
3.3.1907: Men recovering in hospital.
8.9.1911: Registered office transferred to Hull (George Beeching, Hull & John E. A. Kelsall, London, managers).
1914: New boiler fitted.
10.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr) (Ad.No.675).
27.1.1915: Registered at Hull as QUICKLY (H99) (BoT Minute M842/1915 dated 19.1.1915).
7.1915: Fitted out as a Special Service decoy trawler (2-12pdrs, 1-6pdr HA). Based Granton.
20.7.1915: With Special Service decoy trawler GUNNER (Ad.No.1153) engaged U-boat (U16) and scored several hits but did not damage pressure hull and submarine returned to Helgoland on 22 July. Later operated under names Q.32, CAROLINA, MASTER, SINTON and SWIFT.
11.1918: Returned to owners at Hull.
12.11.1918: Registered at Hull as SWIFT (H99) (BoT Minute M14349/1918 dated 29.10.1918).
7.6.1919: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to London County Westminster & Parr’s Bank Ltd, London (A).
7.6.1919: John Slater, London appointed manager.
6.3.1923: Mortgagee re-styled as Westminster Bank Ltd, London.
14.10.1927: Mortgage (A) transferred to William Augustus Hayward, Eastbourne.
14.10.1927: Mortgage (A) transferred to Mercantile Marine Finance Corporation Ltd, London.
22.10.1928: Robert Burton, Hull appointed manager.
16.9.1932: Charles Hugh Emerson appointed manager.
10.1932: Mercantile Marine Finance Corporation Ltd in liquidation.
1.11.1932: Mortgage (A) transferred to Harold Frank Hayward, London; Maud Florence Katherine Rogers, Chelsea and Ernest Norton, London (joint mortgagees).
3.1936: Combined boxing and trawling fleet of Kelsall Bros. & Beeching Ltd and the Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd consisting of 59 vessels laid up at Hull (declining catches, coal bill and increased maintenance costs had made the venture uneconomical).
6.3.1936: At Extraordinary General Meeting at Hull, Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd placed in Creditors’ Voluntary Winding-up (Richard Field Helm of Messrs Hodgson Harris & Co, London appointed liquidators).
1936: Sold to Dutch subjects for breaking up.
11.2.1937: Hull registry closed “Sold to foreigners for breaking up”.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Swift FD170

S.T. Swift FD170
Picture courtesy of Jan H (shipsnostalgia)

S.T. Swift Hpp

S.T. Swift FD170
Picture courtesy of David Slinger

Changelog
15/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
01/09/2015: Information updated.
16/11/2015: Information updated.
02/08/2016: Information updated.
07/09/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.

S.T. Cevic (1) FD133

Additional information : Dictionary of Shipwrecks off the Isle of Man ©Adrian Corkhill 2001

Technical

Official Number: 105911
Yard Number: 504
Completed: 1895
Gross Tonnage: 151
Net Tonnage: 59
Length: 106 ft
Breadth: 20.6 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Engine: 50rhp T.3-cyl by North Eastern Marine Engineering Co. Ltd. Sunderland.
Built: Edward Bros, North Shields (iron built as a beam trawler)

History

8.6.1895: Launched by Edwards Bros, North Shields (Yd.No.504) for John E. A. Kelsall (64/64), Fleetwood as CEVIC.
11.7.1895: Registered at Fleetwood (FD133). John E. A. Kelsall designated managing owner.
7.1895: Completed.
1897: Sold to Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd (64/64), Manchester. John A. E. Kelsall & George Beeching, Fleetwood designated managers.
1899: Transferred to Hull.
30.3.1899: Registered at Hull (H76).
12.5.1899: Fleetwood registry closed.
8.9.1911: Registered office transferred to Hull. George Beeching, Hull & John E. A. Kelsall, London designated managers.
21.5.1913: Sold to George Clarkson, Fleetwood.
23.5.1913: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to James Herbert Marr, Fleetwood (A).
23.5.1913: George Clarkson designated manager.
8.7.1913: Sold to The Devon Steam Trawling Co (64/64), Fleetwood. George Clarkson, designated manager.
7.7.1913: Hull registry closed.
8.7.1913: Registered at Fleetwood (FD186).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 58.53 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
1916: James A. Robertson designated manager.
3.1917: At Fleetwood. Defensively armed, fitted with Hotchkiss 6pdr gun (No.1857); complement increased by two gunners.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
9.9.1918: Sold to Ernest Taylor & Noah Ashworth (64/64 joint owners), Fleetwood. Joseph A. Taylor designated manager.
1919: Released.
18.7.1924: Sold to The Cevic Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood. Charles H. Friswell designated manager.
1925: Richard Neave designated manager.
25.6.1927: Anchored in Ramsey Bay for shelter in ‘boisterous’ weather, Skipper Dick Collinson and three crew ashore. Weather deteriorated unable to return.
26.6.1927: Punt laying astern started to ship water, 2nd Engineer boarded but punt caste adrift. With no officers onboard crew weighed anchor to recover boat, which unknown to them had drifted ashore. In strong NE wind abandoned search and came to anchor off Ballure, Ramsey South Beach but failed to hold and driven on to the bank at Granch, South of Ramsey pounding heavily. In response to flares Ramsey lifeboat Matthew Simpson launched and with difficulty took off crew of six .
6/7.1927: Vessel eventually driven ashore under cliffs and wedged in rocks with extensive damage to bottom and starboard side shell plating. Declared a total loss.
8.8.1927: Fleetwood registry closed. Some remains of vessel still visible.

(Crew – Sk. Richard Collinson; J. Bywater, Mate; E. Salthouse, Bosun; J. Hobbs, Ch.Eng; J. Dicks, 2nd Eng; J. Kitchen & J. Harrison, deckhands; T. Whiteside & W. Holden, apprentices; J. Simms, fireman; P. Corrigan, cook)

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Cevic H76

S.T. Cevic H76
Picture courtesy of The James Cullen Collection

S.T. Cevic FD186

S.T. Cevic FD186
Picture courtesy of The David Slinger Collection

S.T. Cevic FD186

S.T. Cevic FD186
Picture courtesy of The Maureen Blair Collection

S.T. Cevic FD133

S.T. Cevic FD186
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
14/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
25/03/2017: Removed disputed image and FMHT watermark.
18/03/2018: Image added.
12/11/2019: information updated.
29/02/2020: Image added.
08/10/2020: Added an image.