Additional material courtesy of Mike Thompson, Barry Banham and Robert Durrant
Official Number: 133409
Yard Number: 153
Gross Tonnage: 192
Net Tonnage: 72
Length: 110 ft
Breadth: 21.6 ft
Depth: 12 ft
Built: Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole
Engine: T.3-cyl Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull
17.8.1912: Launched by Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole (Yd.No.153) for Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd (64/64), Hull as WARBLER.
1.10.1912: Registered at Hull (H507). John E. A. Kelsall, London & George Beeching, Hull appointed managers.
11.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-3pdr) (Ad.No.412). Based Devonport.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Hull.
7.6.1919: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The London County Westminster & Parr’s Bank Ltd, London (A). John Slater appointed manager.
6.3.1923: Mortgagee re-styled as Westminster Bank Ltd, London.
14.10.1927: Mortgage (A) transferred to William Augustus Hayward, Eastbourne.
14.10.1927: Mortgage (A) transferred to Mercantile Marine Finance Corporation Ltd, London.
22.10.1928: Robert Burton appointed manager.
16.9.1932: Charles Hugh Emerson appointed manager.
10.1932: Mercantile Marine Finance Corporation Ltd in liquidation.
1.11.1932: Mortgage (A) transferred to Harold Frank Hayward, London; Maud Florence Katherine Rogers, Chelsea and Ernest Norton, London (joint mortgagees).
3.1936: Combined boxing and trawling fleet of Kelsall Bros. & Beeching Ltd and the Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd consisting of 59 vessels laid up at Hull (declining catches, coal bill and increased maintenance costs had made the venture uneconomical).
6.3.1936: At Extraordinary General Meeting at Hull, Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd placed in Creditors’ Voluntary Winding-up (Richard Field Helm of Messrs Hodgson Harris & Co, London appointed liquidators).
16.12.1936: Sold by order of the mortgagees under mortgage (A) to Plymouth Mutual Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Plymouth.
21.12.1936: Arrived Plymouth in company with TANAGER (H134).
22.12.1936: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Harold Frank Hayward, London; Maud Florence Katherine Rogers, Corfe Castle and Ernest Norton, London (joint mortgagees) for £500 with interest at 5% (B).
5.1.1937: John Chant, Plymstock appointed manager.
10.12.1937: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to William John Waldron Modley and Richard Edward Stephen Morris, Plymouth (joint mortgagees)(C).
24.12.1937: Mortgage (B) discharged.
31.12.1937: Mortgage (C) discharged.
7.1.1938: Sold to Arthur Dexter, Brixham and Thomas Perrett, Newton Abbot (64/64 joint owners).
17.1.1938: Arthur Dexter appointed manager.
4.2.1938: Sold to Torbay Trawlers Ltd, Brixham.
15.2.1938: Arthur Dexter appointed manager.
28.2.1938: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Midland Bank Ltd, London (D).
4.3.1940: Mortgage (D) discharged. to Plymouth Mutual Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Plymouth.
9.3.1940: Sold to Heward Trawlers Ltd, London (Robert Scott Hewett & Harold Frank Hayward) (Sale sanctioned under Ref. 6165/40 dated 4th March 1940).
1.4.1940: Sold to Brandon Fishing Co Ltd, London. Robert S. Hewett, London appointed manager.
16.4.1940: Hull registry closed.
17.4.1940: Registered at London (LO251). Fishing out of Fleetwood.
28.4.1943: Typical wartime landing, Home Waters. 157 kits – hake-18, cod/coley-28, haddock-6, whiting-46, flats-8, ling/coley-39, roker-7, gurnard-5.
2.1952: Fishing from Lowestoft.
25.2.1954: At Lowestoft landed 4,120 stone grossed £1,644.
22.4.1957: At Lowestoft (Sk Arthur Larner) landed 2,350 stone grossed £2,157.
7.1958: London registry closed.
21.7.1958: Registered at Lowestoft (LT63).
25.7 1958: Sold along with the company to Alick King. Lowestoft (Robert Butcher, manager).
1958: Converted to motor by LBS Engineering Ltd, Lowestoft, fitted with 600bhp 2 SA 6-cyl oil engine by A. K. Diesels Ltd, Lowestoft, reversible trawl winch and adjustable blade propeller.
11.3.1959: Ran successful machinery trials. Transferred to Aberdeen to fish for George Robb & Sons Ltd, Aberdeen. Under Sk. Marshall Ryles fished the Faroe grounds.
1959: On completion of conversion, re measured 195.63grt 72.65n.
1.6.1960: In North Sea, in position 55.80N 04.00E in collision with motor trawler CUTTLEFISH (LT65), resulting in stem damage.
16.8.1960: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Midland Bank Ltd, London (E).
15.1.1962: Jean King, appointed manager.
19.10.1964: Mortgage (E) discharged.
20.10.1964: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Midland Bank Ltd, London (F).
16.3.1965: Disabled in North Sea, motor trawler ROSEVEAR (LT457) connected and delivered Lowestoft.
8.1965: At Lowestoft (Sk.George Quantock) top landing 211 kits grossed £2,140.
1967: Fitted out for standby safety role for offshore platforms, gallows removed, etc.
1.2.1968: Sold to Frederick Ernest Catchpole, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft.
2.1968: Offshore platform standby/safety duties.
6.2.1968: Mortgage (F) discharged.
21.12.1968: Sold to Peter Catchpole (22/64) & George Catchpole (21/64), Oulton Broad, Lowestoft and John Randolph Hashim (21/64), Beccles. Laid up.
8.1970: Re-activated for offshore platform standby/safety duties.
1975: Sold to T. G. Darling Ltd, Oulton Broad for breaking up at Nelson’s Wharf, Oulton Broad by East Anglian Reclaimation Ltd.
10.2.1975: Lowestoft registry closed.
14.6.1976: Breaking up completed.
Click to enlarge images
17/01/2009: Page published. 7 updates since then.
25/11/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.
14/08/2021: Updated history.