Tag Archives: Marr

S.T. Annie FD28

Technical

Official Number: 106973
Yard Number: 580
Gross Tonnage: 158
Completed: 1898
Net Tonnage: 56
Length: 105.8 ft
Breadth: 20.9 ft
Depth: 10.9 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by H. S. Edwards & Sons, South Shields
Boiler: Jos. T. Eltringham & Co, South Shields
Built: Edwards Bros, North Shields

History

7.2.1898: Launched by Edwards Brothers, North Shields (Yd.No.580) for The Hartlepool Steam Fishing Co Ltd, West Hartlepool as ANNIE.
3.1898: Completed (Charles H. Ford, manager). Registered at West Hartlepool (HL53).
1899: Sold Fiskeri-aktieselskabet Isafold (Isafold Fishing Co Ltd), Iceland. Renamed DALANES.
1900: Sold to Joseph Brown, Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
1901: Registered Newcastle (NE1).
1901: Sold to James Herbert Marr, Hull (managing owner). Fishing from Fleetwood.
5.7.1902: Mortgaged to Williams Deacon’s Bank Ltd, London (A).
1904: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood (James H. Marr, manager). Renamed ANNIE (NE1).
28.2.1905: Registered at Fleetwood (FD28).
14.8.1905: Mortgage (A) discharged.
14.8.1905: Fleetwood registry closed.
1905: Sold to Tejero, Marimos & Co, Corunna for £3350. Renamed GERÓ.
1924: Not in Yard List under any name.
1936: Sold for breaking up.

Changelog
17/05/2012: Page published. 4 updates since then.

S.T. Boscobel FD70

Technical

Official Number: 122940
Yard Number: 262
Completed: 1906
Gross Tonnage: 225
Net Tonnage: 72
Length: 125.8
Breadth: 21.9 ft
Depth: 8.9 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by W. V. V. Lidgerwood, Coatbridge
Boiler: A. & W. Dalglish, Pollockshaws, Glasgow
Built: J. Duthie, Sons & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

28.2.1906: Launched by J. Duthie, Sons & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.262) for Tettenhall Steam Fishing Co of Fleetwood Ltd, Fleetwood as BOSCOBEL.
5.1906: Completed.
16.5.1906: Mortgaged to Williams Deacon’s Bank Ltd, London (A).
18.5.1906: Registered at Fleetwood (FD70), Louis Cohen, Norbreck appointed manager).
11.8.1909: Mortgaged to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood (B). James H. Marr appointed manager.
9.10.1913: Mortgage (A) discharged.
10.10.1913: Mortgage (B) discharged.
10.10.1913: Mortgaged to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood (C).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 92.13net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
2.12.1916: James A. Robertson appointed manager.
12.5.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr) (Ad.No.1761).
18.10.1918: Sold to The Active Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (James A. Robertson, manager). Based Alexandria.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
12.10.1924: James A. Robertson died.
10.1924: Alan Marr appointed manager.
6.2.1925: Joseph Arthur Marr appointed manager.
4.1928: Sold to Thomas Walker & John Falconer. Aberdeen.
13.4.1928: Fleetwood registry closed.
24.4.1928: Registered at Aberdeen (A342).
1934: Sold to John W. Johnstone, Aberdeen.
23.8.1934: Aberdeen registry closed, “fitted out as a Cargo Vessel”.
8.1934: Converted to cargo vessel. Re-measured 11.6 ft depth of hold 232g 101n.
29.5.1937: Foundered near Lightship Wandelaar off Belgian coast on voyage Antwerp to London with a cargo of fencing wire. Wreck in position 51.21.50N 02.50.75E.

Changelog
16/05/2012: Page published. 5 updates since then.

S.T. Amy FD39

Additional information courtesy of David Slinger

Technical

Official Number: 122931
Yard Number: 79
Completed: 1905
Gross Tonnage: 223
Net Tonnage: 79
Length: 125.0 ft
Breadth: 22.0 ft
Depth: 12.1 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole

History

3.8.1905: Launched by Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole (Yd.No.79) for J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood as the AMY.
9.9.1905: Registered at Fleetwood (FD39) James Herbert Marr appointed manager.
9.1905: Completed.
22.3.1911: Returned to Fleetwood after a 28 day Iceland trip with damage to deck fittings and boat carried away.
11.4.1911: Mortgaged to James Herbert Marr for £2000 @ 5% interest (A).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 88.54net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
8.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (Ad.No.334).
13.11.1914: At Lowestoft, parent ship HALCYON.
22.5.1915: Mortgage (A) discharged.
11.11.1915: James A. Robertson appointed manager.
11.4.1917: At Havre ‘sweeping in harbour under orders of Marine Francaise (Sk. Thomas Dales RNR). Mined (only survivor Sk. B. L. Coburn RNR, with severe burns).
19.5.1917: Fleetwood registry closed.

(Lost – Ty/Sk. Thomas Dales; James R. Bowles, 2nd Hand; George McK. Black & William T. Harris, Enginemen; Thomas Hare, James Hayes & Arthur J. Spink, deckhands; Condor Snell, deck boy; Jacob Stratford, trimmer.)
Note: 13.10.1917: Recommendation by Vice Admiral, Marine Francaise Le Havre that Coburn should receive the Military Medal.

Changelog
16/05/2012: Page published. 5 updates since then.
04/02/2016: Minor information update.
26/06/2017: Minor information update.

S.T. Akranes FD33

Technical

Official Number: 114418
Yard Number: 608
Completed: 1899
Gross tonnage: 178
Net Tonnage: 66
Length: 114.6 ft
Breadth: 21.1 ft
Depth: 10.8 ft
Engine: 350ihp T.3-cyl by G. T. Grey, South Shields
Boiler: Jos. T. Eltringham, South Shields
Built: Edwards Brothers, North Shields

History

24.2.1899: Launched by Edwards Brothers, North Shields (Yd.No.608) for Fiskeri-aktieselskabet Isafold (Isafold Fishing Co Ltd), Reykjavik, Iceland as AKRANES.
4.1899: Completed. Registered at Reykjavik.
12.1901: Sold to Joseph Brown, Newcastle-upon-Tyne for £4000.
12.1901: Remeasured 184.03g.
27.12.1901: Registered Newcastle (NE9) (O.N.114418).
1901: Sold to James Herbert Marr, Hull (managing owner). Fishing from Fleetwood.
29.5.1902: Transferred to the newly formed company J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood (James H. Marr, manager).
5.7.1902: Mortgaged to Williams Deacon’s Bank Ltd, London (A).
2.1905: Newcastle registry closed.
28.2.1905: Registered at Fleetwood (FD33).
5.5.1906: Mortgage (A) discharged.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 73.40 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
11.11.1916: James A. Robertson appointed manager.
11.3.1912: Sk. John Henry Bentley fined £20 at Bodmin Petty Sessions for fishing within the 3 mile limit off Cornwall.
6.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a boom defence trawler (Ad.No.NI).
10.11.1916: Sold to Margaret Fawns, Granton.
14.11.1916: John Thomson, Leith appointed manager.
22.11.1916: Mortgaged to Archibald Glen Brown, Granton (B).
22.3.1917: Mortgage (B) discharged.
23.3.1917: Mortgaged to George Milne, Glasgow (C).
2.10.1917: Mortgage (C) discharged.
2.10.1917: Sold to Archibald Glen Brown, Granton.
10.1918: Sold to Ernest Davy Baxter (64/64), Grimsby (managing owner).
17.10.1918: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to London Joint City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (D).
21.10.1918: Fleetwood registry closed.
24.10.1918: Registered at Grimsby (GY1219).
24.10.1918: Ernest Davy Baxter appointed manager.
1919: Returned to owner.
15.2.1923: Sold by mortgagee under mortgage (D) to Ernest James Baskcomb (64/64), Grimsby.
16.2.1923: Shares (2 x 21/64) sold to Charles Richard Baskcomb (21/64), Grimsby and Stafford Sydney Northcote (21/64), Grimsby. Ernest James Baskcomb appointed manager.
2.9.1927: Ernest James Baskcomb died.
28.1.1928: Probate granted to Edith Eleanor Baskcomb (22/64), Grimsby.
3.5.1928: Charles Richard Baskcombe appointed manager.
10.5.1928: Shares (22/64) sold by Edith Eleanor Baskcomb to Charles Richard Baskcomb (11/64), Grimsby and Stafford Sydney Northcote (11/64), Grimsby.
3.5.1928: Sold to Baskcombe & Northcote Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
8.1929: Sold to Nicolaas Maarleveld, IJmuiden.
29.8.1929: Grimsby registry closed.
8.1929: Registered at IJmuiden as ANNA JOSENA (IJM128).
1934: Sold to Zeevisscherij Maatschappij-Anna Josina, IJmuiden.
31.5.1936: Sold for baven.
23.5.1955: Delivered Castle Pill.
13.6.1955: Milford registry closed “Vessel broken up”.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Akranes FD33

S.T. Akranes FD33
Picture courtesy of The Fred Baker Collection

S.T. Akranes FD33

S.T. Akranes FD33
Picture courtesy of John Warman

Changelog

16/05/2012: Page published. 8 updates since then.
06/03/2015: Picture added.
08/05/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.

S.T. Borella H240

Technical

Official Number: 180481
Yard Number: 762
Completed: 1946
Gross Tonnage: 524
Net Tonnage: 186
Length: 165.3 ft
Breadth: 27.7 ft
Depth: 14.4 ft
Engine: 800 IHP T.3-cyl by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Speed: 12.2 knots
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley

History

19.1.1946: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.762) for The City Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull as BORELLA (H240).
26.3.1946: Completed (J. Marr & Son Ltd, managers). Contract price £72500.
29.3.1946: Sailed Hull for Iceland (Sk. Leo Romyn DSC).
17.4.1946: At Hull landed 2,267 kits grossed £6,445.
18.10.1946: Sailed Hull for Iceland last trip before sale (Sk. L. Romayne).
7.11.1946: At Hull landed 1,843 kits grossed £4,475.
23.12.1948: Sold to Dinas Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood.(Frank Marr, manager).
10.5.1951: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, manager).
31.3.1953: Sailed Hull for Iceland last trip before sale (Sk. S. Outlaw).
18.4.1953: At Hull landed 1,174 kits grossed £2,377 (Hull fishing industry slump). Laid up.
2.7.1953: Sold to National Trawling & Fishing Co Ltd, Cape Town for £70000 (Sanctioned by MOT letter No. GSP 1/1/01001 dated 4.5.1953).
2.7.1953: Hull registry closed.
9.7.1953: Registered at Cape Town (CTA62).
20.7.1953: Sailed Hull for Cape Town.
20.8.1953: Arrived Cape Town.
Pre 1966: Company sold to Irvin & Johnson Ltd, Cape Town, who became managers.
1971: Stripped of all usable parts and non-ferrous metals.
1.3.1971: Scuttled at ‘Irvin Johnson’ artificial reef in False Bay by South African Navy.

Note: First South African trawler fitted with radar. The National Trawling & Fishing Co Ltd, Cape Town had close links with J Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood following visits by Leslie James Marr and Geoffrey Alan Marr who spent seven months working for them at Cape Town.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Borella H240

S.T. Borella H240
Picture courtesy of the JJ Collection

S.T. Borella H240

S.T. Borella H240
Picture courtesy of The Ship Society of SA

S.T. Borella CTA62

S.T. Borella CTA62

Changelog
16/05/2012: Page published. 9 revisions since then.
15/08/2014: Picture 1 added.