Tag Archives: Marr

S.T. Dagon GY438

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow and Douglas Paterson

Technical

Official Number: 143502
Yard Number: 369
Completed: 1919
Gross Tonnage 282
Net Tonnage: 110
Length: 128.5 ft
Breadth: 23.6 ft
Depth: 12.6 ft
Engine: 500ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Speed : 10.5 knots
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley

History

13.9.1919: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.369) for Neale & West Ltd, Cardiff as HATSUSE.
4.3.1920: Registered at Cardiff (CF61).
3.1920: Completed (Wilfred Neale, Morley H. Neale & Joshua S. Neale, managers).
5.1927: Sold to Consolidated Steam Fishing & Ice Co (Grimsby) Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
20.5.1927: John Denton Marsden appointed manager.
5.1927: Cardiff registry closed.
20.5.1927: Registered at Grimsby (GY438).
5.7.1927: Registered at Grimsby as DAGON (GY438) (BoT Minute M/R.G.1256/1927 dated 27.6.1927).
29.9.1927: Owners re-styled Consolidated Fisheries Ltd, Grimsby (Sir John D. Marsden, Bart, manager).
30.11.1928: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Midland Bank Ltd (A).
8.9.1934: Outward to Faroese fishing grounds in thick fog at about 9.00 a.m. stranded at Dundonnan (..ie) Head, 31/2 miles from Peterhead. Crew launched boat to lay out kedge and under power tried to refloat but hawser parted. Drifted clear but ran aground in small landlocked channel. With great difficulty crew rescued by breeches buoy with lifeboat standing by.
12.9.1934: Suffered extensive bottom damage but refloated by Aberdeen salvage tug IRONAXE (296g/1916) and towed into Peterhead. Repaired.
26.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service appointed for minesweeping duties (Hire rate £91.13.0d/month).
13.10.1939: Returned.
26.9.1941: Mortgage (A) discharged.
3.10.1941: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood for £14,500.
8.10.1941: Leslie James Marr appointed manager.
25.9.1945: Sold to A. J. Tilbrook Ltd (64/64), Milford Haven for £18,500.
10.10.1945: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Lloyds Bank Ltd, London (B).
11.10.1945: Arthur Ernest Rees, Neyland appointed manager.
3.10.1948: In strong SE winds and thick fog ran aground on rocks in Ship Sound north of Slyne Head, Co Galway (Sk J. Garnham Jnr).
4.10.1948: Refloated under own power and proceeded to Limerick.
9.10.1948: Entered dry dock for temporary repairs.
23.2.1952: Mortgage (B) discharged.
11.3.1952: Sold to Devanha Fishing Co Ltd (64.64), Aberdeen.
20.3.1952: William Wood appointed manager.
20.3.1952: Grimsby registry closed.
22.3.1952: Registered at Aberdeen (A710).
22.7.1952: Registered at Aberdeen as CASIMIR (A710) (MoT Minute R.G.No.1156/52 dated 14.7.1952).
1955: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Shipbreaking Industries Ltd for breaking up at Charlestown, Fife (Contract No.92D).
28.11.1955: Delivered Charlestown and breaking up commenced.
14.5.1956: Aberdeen registry closed “Vessel broken up.”

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Dagon GY438

S.T. Dagon GY438
Picture courtesy of Peter Green

S.T. Dagon GY438

S.T. Dagon GY438
Picture courtesy of Peter Green

S.T. Dagon GY438

S.T. Dagon GY438
Picture courtesy of Peter Green

Changelog

16/05/2012: Page published. 6 revisions since then.
10/09/2014: Three pictures added.

S.T. Corena (1) FD195

Technical

Official Number: 148401
Yard number: 461
Completed: 1924
Gross tonnage: 352
Net Tonnage: 144
Length: 140.3 ft
Breadth: 24.0 ft
Depth: 12.9 ft
Engine: 96nhp T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Speed: 11 knots
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley

History

8.5.1924: The Board of Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd decided to build two new trawlers for the Iceland fishery. Contracts were signed with Cook, Welton & Gemmell to build the ships at £7,500 each and C. D. Holmes to make the engines and boilers at £6,125 each. Total cost £13,625 each. The names chosen for the vessels were ANDALUSITE and ALALITE. Total cost for ANDALUSITE, with amendments, certification, fees, fishing gear and other equipment £15,548.4.10d. (Customs fees £3.1.0d, Code signals £1.1.2d)

16.9.1924: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.461) for Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as ANDALUSITE.
1.11.1924: Registered at Hull (H90).
10.11.1924: Completed trials and accepted (Walter Scott, manager).
24.3.1925: John Lown appointed managed.
13.11.1924: Sailed on maiden trip to Icelandic grounds.
1.12.1924: Landed 1032 kits grossed £2740.
13.9.1933 : Sold to J. Marr & Son, Fleetwood (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, manager) for £7600.
13.9.1933: Hull registry closed.
15.9.1933: Registered at Fleetwood (FD195).
14.12.1933: Registered at Fleetwood as CORENA (FD195).
10.7.1934: Transferred to Hull, crewed and operated by The City Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull on the company acquisition (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, Fleetwood, manager).
9.9.1937: Transferred to Fleetwood.
8.1939: Sold to The Admiralty (£9,500).
9.8.1939: Fleetwood registry closed. Fitted out as a minesweeper (1-12pdr) (P.No. FY.709). Based Harwich with M/S Group 4.
24.7.1940: In North Sea (Ty/Sk. A. E. Fisher RNR). Picked up survivors of HM Trawler FLEMING (H3) which foundered after attack by German aircraft.
3.1946: Refitted and re classed at Hull.
4.1946: Sold to Craig Fishing (Aberdeen) Ltd (Joseph Craig, manager). Registered at Aberdeen (A198).
9.1948: Engaged in the Greenland fishery (Sk.C. H. Winter); fourteen crew. Ran into icebergs and fog, stranded 6 miles north of Frederikshaab, Greenland, holed in the engine room and making water . Crew took to boat and some hours later a motorboat with a rescue party of local fishermen arrived and towed them to Frederikshaab. From there, a Danish gunboat picked them up and transferred them to Feringhavn. Faroese smacks called nine days later and took them to Torshavn where they obtained passage to Aberdeen. Salved and broken up.

(Note. Building installment costings:
Shipbuilder
31.7.1924: Frames – £2000
5.9.1924: Plating – £2000
18.9.1924: Launch – £2000
17.11.1924 : Final – £1500
15.1.1925: Extras – £62.18.9d Total – £7,562.18.9d
Engine and boiler maker
5.9.1924: £1412.10s
2.10.1924: £1412.10s
28.10.1924: £1412.10s
7.11.1924: Final – £1912.10s
15.1.1925: Extras – £30.1.0d Total – £6,180.1.0d

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Corena FD195

S.T. Corena FD195
Picture courtesy of Mike Thompson

S.T. Corena FD195

S.T. Corena FD195
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
16/05/2012: Page published. 8 updates since then.
31/12/2016: Repaired broken image links.
07/08/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.

S.T. Andradite H26 (2)

Additional information courtesy of Mike Thompson and Lifeboat Magazine

Technical

Official Number: 163179
Yard Number: 588
Completed: 1934
Gross Tonnage: 313
Net Tonnage: 139
Length: 131.0 ft
Breadth: 24.6 ft
Depth: 13.0 ft
Engine: 89nhp T.3-cyl by C.D.Holmes Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley
Speed : 11.4 knots

History

18.8.1933: The Board of Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd decided to exercise their option with Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd to build two more middle water trawlers to the same design as the AVANTURINE (Yd.No.542) but with amendments in respect of hull dimensions. Contracts were signed with the shipyard and with Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd to make the engines and boilers. The price agreed was £13,610 for the first vessel and £13,560 for the second. The names chosen were ALEXANDRITE and ANDRADITE. Two further trawlers were subsequently ordered to this design, ARAGONITE (Yd.No.594) and ACHROITE (Yd.No.596).
Total cost for ANDRADITE, with amendments, certification, fees, fishing gear and other equipment £14,272.12.9d.

1.2.1934: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.588) for Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as ANDRADITE (named by Mrs Bridget Adams).
23.1.1934: Completed trials and accepted.
23.2.1934: Registered at Hull (H26).
16.3.1934: Sailed on first trip to Faroes (Sk. Stephenson).
31.3.1934: Landed 767 kits grossed £497 (15 days).
25.7.1939: Insured value £17,200.
12.8.1939: Sailed for Faroes (Sk. J. Neve).
28.8.1939: At Hull landed 732 kits £701 gross. Last landing prior to being requisitioned.
28.8.1939: Admiralty telegram advising ALEXANDRITE and ANDRADITE would be requisitioned at 10.30 am. Landed gear.
28.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service (Hire rate £187.16.0d/month).
1.9.1939: Sailed for Aberdeen with RN crew. Fitted out on examination service (1-12pdr) (P.No. FY.559).
1940: Fitted out as a minesweeper. Based Dover with M/S Group 46 (Ty/Sk. E. H. Brooks RNR).
1941-1942: Remained at Dover with M/S Group 46 (Ty Lieut. E. S. Brookes RNVR).
17.1.1946: Returned after refurbishment by Globe Engineering Co Ltd, Hull and survey.
19.1.1946: Sailed on trip to Faroes grounds (Sk. W. Swain Snr).
23.2.1949: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood for £30,250. Geoffrey Edwards Marr, Brough designated manager.
11.7.1949: Last landing at Hull prior to transfer to Fleetwood.
6.3.1957: Sailed Fleetwood for Faroes grounds (Sk. John Henry Blackshaw); fifteen crew.
7.3.1957: Stranded on rocks at Barra Head. At 3.30am. message received by Barra Lifeboat Station from Stornoway coastguard that the trawler was was ashore near Curachan Rock. Barra lifeboat, LLOYDS, launched at 4.10am. in a slight sea, southerly breeze and tide on the flood. Lifeboat found the trawler some 5 miles NE of Curachan Rock, took off the crew and at 7.30am. landed them safely at Castlebay, Barra. Vessel sustained extensive bottom damage and declared a total loss.
3.5.1957: Hull registry closed “Ship ashore total loss”.
(Crew (all Fleetwood unless stated) – Sk. John Henry Blackshaw (54); Stanley Mason (29), Mate; Richard E. Edwards (24), Bosun; Fred Parkinson (56) Ch. Eng; S. Latkowski (30), 2nd Eng; James Morgan (54),Harold Moon (19), Charles F. Tomlinson (53), John W. Morley (18), Sidney Cole (58) and William Neal (57), deckhands; Charles Leo (51), Michael Kettrick (23), Wigan, firemen; J. Kerr-Morgan (23), Middlesbrough, apprentice fireman; Walter Whiteside (63), cook.)

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Andradite H26

S.T. Andradite H26
Picture courtesy of The Mike Thompson Collection

HMT Andradite

HMT Andradite
Picture courtesy of The Greenday Collection (TPF)

Changelog
14/05/2012: Page published. 4 updates since then.
01/08/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
16/10/2018: Updated information.
18/10/2018: Added picture.

S.T. Alexandrite H7

Technical

Official Number: 163175
Yard Number: 585
Completed: 1934
Gross Tonnage: 313
Length: 131 ft
Breadth: 24.6 ft
Depth: 13 ft
Engine: 89nhp T.3-cyl by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Speed : 11.3 knots
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley

History

18.8.1933: The Board of Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd decided to exercise their option with Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd to build two more middle water trawlers to the same design as the AVANTURINE (Yd.No.542) but with amendments in respect of hull dimensions. Contracts were signed with the shipyard and with C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd to make the engines and boilers. The price agreed was £13,610 for the first vessel and £13,560 for the second. The names chosen were ALEXANDRITE and ANDRADITE. Two further trawlers were subsequently ordered to this design, ARAGONITE (Yd.No.594) and ACHROITE (Yd.No.596).
Total cost for ALEXANDRITE, with amendments, fishing gear and other equipment £14,242.12.9d.

21.12.1933: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd No.585) for Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as ALEXANDRITE (named by Miss Billaney, daughter of skipper).
20.1.1934: Registered at Hull (H7).
23.1.1934: Completed trials and accepted.
25.1.1934: Sailed from Hull on first trip (Sk. William Billaney).
6.2.1934: Landed 755 kits grossed £966.
10.8.1939: Last landing prior to being requisitioned.
28.8.1939: Admiralty telegram advising ALEXANDRITE and ANDRADITE would be requisitioned at 10.30 am.
28.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service (Hire rate £187.16.0d/month).
1.9.1939: Sailed for Aberdeen with RN crew. Fitted out on examination service (1-12pdr) (P.No. FY.560). 1940: Fitted out as a minesweeper. Based Grimsby with M/S Group 46 (Ty/Sk. G. D. Barker RNR).
1941: Based at Dover with M/S Group 46 (Ty/Sk. G. D. Barker RNR).
1942: Remained at Dover.
2.6.1945: Arrived at Hull for restoration by Saint Andrew’s Engineering Co Ltd.
1.11.1945: Returned to owner and reclassed at Hull.
17.12.1946: New boiler ordered from C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull at a cost of £5.700.
6.1948: New boiler fitted.
23.2.1949: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, manager) for £30,250.
4.12.1951: Sold to North Star Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen (John Alexander Harrow, manager) for £29000.
1952: Fishing from Fleetwood ( J. Marr & Son Ltd, managers).
6.1955: Transferred to fish from Aberdeen.
11.1955: Converted for burning oil fuel, F.P. above 150° F.
1963: Sold to Motherwell Machinery & Scrap Co Ltd, Motherwell for breaking up at Grangemouth (yard formerly owned by G. & W. Brunton).
2.11.1963: Delivered Grangemouth.
20.11.1963: Hull registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Alexandrite H7

S.T. Alexandrite H7
Picture courtesy of
http://www.hulltrawler.net/

S.T. Alexandrite H7

S.T. Alexandrite H7
Picture courtesy of James Cullen

S.T. Alexandrite H7

S.T. Alexandrite H7

Changelog
14/05/2012: Page published. 6 revisions since then.
11/07/2014: Picture added.
19/06/2017: Picture added.

S.T. Anida FD229

Technical

Official Number: 139220
Yard Number: 280
Completed: 1917
Gross Tonnage: 270
Net Tonnage: 105
Length: 128.8 ft
Breadth: 23.0 ft
Depth: 12.6 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by W. Beardmore & Co Ltd, Glasgow
Built: Dundee Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Dundee

History

9.1917: Completed by Dundee Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Dundee (Yd.No.280) for J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood (James A. Robertson, manager) as ANIDA.
28.9.1917: Registered at Fleetwood (FD299). Requisitioned by The Admiralty from the builders and fitted out as an anti submarine trawler (1-12pdr and hydrophone) (Ad.No.3059). Based Aegean Sea.
5.12.1918: Re-registered at Fleetwood (FD299).
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
15.10.1924: Sailed Fleetwood for West Coast of Scotland grounds (Sk.John Robson); twelve crew.
28.10.1924: Homeward stranded on Frenchman’s Rock, Portnahaven, Rinns of Islay; nine men lost*.
26.11.1924: Fleetwood registry closed.

(*Lost. Sk. John Robson; Henry Clarke, Bosun, Patrick Nolan, William Slater and Charles Davison, deckhands; Henry Morrice, cook; George Southern, Chief engineer; John Robinson and Henry Walsh, firemen. Survivors. Charles Hughan, Mate; Philip Rodgers, 2nd engineer and Robert Taylor, apprentice.)

Changelog
14/05/2012: Page published. 7 updates since then.