S.T. Alexandrite H7
Official Number: 163175
Yard Number: 585
Gross Tonnage: 313
Length: 131 ft
Breadth: 24.6 ft
Depth: 13 ft
Engine: 89NHP T.3-cyl by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Speed : 11.3 knots
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley
18.8.1933: The Board of Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd decided to exercise their option with Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd to build two more middle water trawlers to the same design as the AVANTURINE (Yd.No.542) but with amendments in respect of hull dimensions. Contracts were signed with the shipyard and with C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd to make the engines and boilers. The price agreed was £13,610 for the first vessel and £13,560 for the second. The names chosen were ALEXANDRITE and ANDRADITE. Two further trawlers were subsequently ordered to this design, ARAGONITE (Yd.No.594) and ACHROITE (Yd.No.596).
Total cost for ALEXANDRITE, with amendments, fishing gear and other equipment £14,242.12.9d.
21.12.1933: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd No.585) for Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as ALEXANDRITE (named by Miss Billaney, daughter of skipper).
20.1.1934: Registered at Hull (H7).
23.1.1934: Completed trials and accepted.
25.1.1934: Sailed from Hull on first trip (Sk. William Billaney).
6.2.1934: Landed 755 kits grossed £966.
10.8.1939: Last landing prior to being requisitioned.
28.8.1939: Admiralty telegram advising ALEXANDRITE and ANDRADITE would be requisitioned at 10.30 am.
28.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service (Hire rate £187.16.0d/month).
1.9.1939: Sailed for Aberdeen with RN crew. Fitted out on examination service (1-12pdr) (P.No. FY.560). 1940: Fitted out as a minesweeper. Based Grimsby with M/S Group 46 (Ty/Sk. G. D. Barker RNR).
1941: Based at Dover with M/S Group 46 (Ty/Sk. G. D. Barker RNR).
1942: Remained at Dover.
2.6.1945: Arrived at Hull for restoration by Saint Andrew’s Engineering Co Ltd.
1.11.1945: Returned to owner and reclassed at Hull.
17.12.1946: New boiler ordered from C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull at a cost of £5.700.
6.1948: New boiler fitted.
23.2.1949: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, manager) for £30,250.
4.12.1951: Sold to North Star Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen (John Alexander Harrow, manager) for £29000.
1952: Fishing from Fleetwood ( J. Marr & Son Ltd, managers).
6.1955: Transferred to fish from Aberdeen.
11.1955: Converted for burning oil fuel, F.P. above 150° F.
1963: Sold to Motherwell Machinery & Scrap Co Ltd, Motherwell for breaking up at Grangemouth (yard formerly owned by G. & W. Brunton).
2.11.1963: Delivered Grangemouth.
20.11.1963: Hull registry closed.