S.T. Andradite H26 (2)
Official Number: 163179
Yard Number: 588
Gross Tonnage: 313
Net Tonnage: 139
Length: 131.0 ft
Breadth: 24.6 ft
Depth: 13.0 ft
Engine: 89NHP T.3-cyl by C.D.Holmes Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley
Speed : 11.4 knots
18.8.1933: The Board of Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd decided to exercise their option with Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd to build two more middle water trawlers to the same design as the AVANTURINE (Yd.No.542) but with amendments in respect of hull dimensions. Contracts were signed with the shipyard and with C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd to make the engines and boilers. The price agreed was £13,610 for the first vessel and £13,560 for the second. The names chosen were ALEXANDRITE and ANDRADITE. Two further trawlers were subsequently ordered to this design, ARAGONITE (Yd.No.594) and ACHROITE (Yd.No.596).
Total cost for Andradite, with amendments, certification, fees, fishing gear and other equipment £14,272.12.9d.
1.2.1934: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.588) for Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as ANDRADITE (named by Mrs Bridget Adams).
23.1.1934: Completed trials and accepted.
23.2.1934: Registered at Hull (H26).
16.3.1934: Sailed on first trip (Sk. Stephenson).
31.3.1934: Landed 767 kits grossed £497 (15 days).
10.8.1939: Last landing prior to being requisitioned.
28.8.1939: Admiralty telegram advising ALEXANDRITE and ANDRADITE would be requisitioned at 10.30 am.
28.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service (Hire rate £187.16.0d/month).
1.9.1939: Sailed for Aberdeen with RN crew. Fitted out on examination service (1-12pdr) (P.No. FY.559).
1940: Fitted out as a minesweeper. Based Dover with M/S Group 46 (Ty/Sk. E. H. Brooks RNR).
1941-1942: Remained at Dover with M/S Group 46 (Ty Lieut. E. S. Brookes RNVR).
18.1.1946: Returned after refurbishment by Globe Engineering Co Ltd, Hull and survey.
19.1.1946: Sailed on trip to Faroes grounds (Sk. W. Swain Snr).
23.2.1949: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, Brough, manager) for £30,250.
6.3.1957: Sailed Fleetwood for Faroes grounds (Sk. James B.Blackshaw); fifteen crew.
7.3.1957: Stranded on rocks at Barra Head, crew taken off by lifeboat and landed at Castlebay, Barra. Vessel sustained extensive bottom damage and declared a total loss.
3.5.1957: Hull registry closed “Ship ashore total loss”.
(Crew (all Fleetwood unless stated) – Sk, James B. Blackshaw (54); Stanley Mason (29), Mate; Richard E. Edwards (24), Bosun; Fred Parkinson (56) Ch. Eng; S. Latkowski (30), 2nd Eng; Charles Leo (51), Michael Kettrick (23), Wigan, Firemen; J. Kerr-Morgan (23), Middlesbrough, apprentice fireman; James Morgan (54),Harold Moon (19), Charles F. Tomlinson (53), John W. Morley (18), Sidney Cole (58) and William Neal (57), deckhands; Walter Whiteside (63), cook.)
Click to enlarge image