Tag Archives: Iago

S.T. William Cale LO79

Technical

Admiralty Number: 3666
Official Number: 145176
Yard Number: 346
Completed: 1917
Gross Tonnage: 276
Length: 125.6 ft
Breadth: 23.4 ft
Depth: 12.8 ft
Built: Bow, McLachlan & Co Ltd, Paisley
Engine: 61nhp T.3-cyl by Bow, McLachlan & Co Ltd, Paisley

History

19.9.1917: Launched by Bow, McLachlan & Co Ltd, Paisley (Yd.No.346) (“Castle” class) for The Admiralty as WILLIAM CALE (Ad.No.3666).
4.10.1917: Completed (1 – 12pdr).
11.5.1921: Registered by The Admiralty as a fishing vessel at London (LO510).
5.1922: Sold to John McR. Knight & Morgan W. Howells, Hakin (John McR. Knight, managing owner).
17.6.1922: London registry closed.
21.6.1922: Registered at Milford (M250).
29.1.1927: Sold to Iago Steam Trawler Co Ltd, Milford Haven (Edward D. W. Lawford, manager).
29.1.1927: Milford registry closed.
11.5.1927: Registered at London (LO79).
1930: Transferred to Fleetwood when Edward D. W. Lawford moved his vessels to the port.
29.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No. FY.535)(Hire rate £80.10.0d/month).
1.1941: Minesweeping Group 41 based at Hartlepool (Ty/Sk. C. E. Gornall RNR).
1.1942: Minesweeping Group 41 based at Grimsby.
6.12.1942: Off Yorkshire coast in collision with WINHA (3391grt/1904).
6.1945: Restored and surveyed at Glasgow.
12.7.1945: Returned.
1955: Sold to BISCO and allocated to West of Scotland Shipbreaking Co Ltd, Troon for breaking up.
18.10.1955: Arrived Troon Harbour from Fleetwood under own power (draughts 5’6”/14’6”).
14.11.1955: Breaking commenced.
7.12.1955: Reberthed.
9.2.1956: Reberthed.
21.2.1956: Reberthed.
1.3.1956: Beached (draughts 3’0”/9’0”).
12.4.1956: Breaking completed.
(William Cale, Landsman (prest), age 21, b. London – VICTORY (SB449))

Click to enlarge image

S.T. William Cale LO79

S.T. William Cale LO79
Picture © John Clarkson

S.T. William Cale LO79

S.T. William Cale LO79
Clipping courtesy of Stan Mayes (shipsnostalgia)

Changelog
27/01/2009: Page published. 5 updates since then.
20/11/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from images.

S.T. George Cousins FD343

Technical

Admiralty Number: 4461
Official Number: 141950
Yard Number: 352
Completed: 1919
Gross Tonnage: 276
Net Tonnage: 122
Length: 125 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.8 ft
Engine: 61HP T.3-cyl Ailsa Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Troon.
Boiler: Bow, McLachlan, Paisley
Built: Ailsa Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Ayr

History

13.6.1919: Launched by Ailsa Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Ayr (Yd.No.352) (“Castle” class) for The Admiralty as GEORGE COUSINS.
1919: Sold to Henry Blackburn, Fleetwood.
18.8.1919: Completed as a fishing vessel.
27.8.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD343).
10.9.1919: Sold to Henry Blackburn & Henry Robertson, Fleetwood.
1.10.1919: Sold to Blackburn Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Henry Blackburn, manager.
9.4.1926: In collision with Knott End ferry which managed to return to ferry dock and sank.
7.7.1928: At Campbeltown Sheriff Court, Sk. Thomas William Kirkby admitted a charge of illegal fishing in the Firth of Clyde and was fined £100 with forfeiture of net and £5 for not showing the fishing signal.
1935: Sold to Iago Steam Trawler Co Ltd, London & Fleetwood (Edward D. W. Lawford, manager).
8.10.1935: Fleetwood registry closed.
9.10.1935: Registered at London (LO66).
12.2.1937: Sank the Fleetwood trawler OCTAVIA (H274) in collision off Maughold Head, Isle of Man; crew rescued.
31.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.627) (Hire rate £86.5.0d/month).
6.1940: Based Invergordon with M/S Group 43 (Ch Sk. E. J. Marshall RNR).
4.8.1940: Off Cromarty tasked to sweep approach channel to Firth. At 0650 off Sutor Buoy, Cromarty Forth, passed sweep wire for ‘M’ sweep to MARSONA (FD21) (P.No. FY.714) (Ch Sk. E. J. Marshall RNR) and steaming ahead veered sweep wire while MARSONA deployed her magnets. At 0724 1/2 mile SSE of Whistle Buoy MARSONA detonated a mine underneath and a second in the sweep and blew up. HM Drifter INDUSTRY (PD378) (P.No.FY.938 (Sub Lieut E. A. F. Weller RNR) proceeded to scene but found no survivors.
7.1945: Reclassed at Port Glasgow and returned to owner.
2.1946: Sold to Haven Trawlers Ltd, Milford Haven (R. Lewis, manager).
13.8.1948: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood for £12500. Registered at Fleetwood (FD281).
5.4.1951: Sold to Harrow-Baxter Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen for £7700. Registered at Aberdeen (A681).
24.3.1955: On a trip to Faroe fishing grounds. Put into Klaksvig, Faroe to carry out repairs on starboard gallows and burst steam heater pipe.
26.3.1955: Sailed Klaksvig for fishing grounds but could not maintain vacuum in condenser due to holes in the air pump. Returned to Klaksvig.
29.3.1955: After patching, sailed for Aberdeen as permanent repair could not be undertaken.
31.3.1955: Experienced problems with boiler and feed pumps being stopped for several hours. 1.4.1955: At 3.00 a.m. stopped engine to adjust patch to prevent condensate loss. At 9.45 a.m when 25 miles NW by N of Ronaldsay suffered boiler explosion. Subsequently taken in tow by VIKING MONARCH (A25) for Aberdeen.
2.4.1955: Delivered Aberdeen at about 10.00 p.m.
1955: No repairs effected. Sold to BISCO and allocated to Malcolm Brechin, Granton for breaking up.
7.8.1955: Arrived Granton from Aberdeen under tow.
21.1.1956: At the Preliminary Inquiry (No.3385) held in Aberdeen by the Ministry of Transport & Civil Aviation, the assessors found that heavy build up of salt deposits within the boiler due to failure to follow port routine and no serious attempt to test boiler water density had resulted in the explosion. No one was injured.

(George Cousins, Landsman, age 20, b. Mort, North Devon – ROYAL SOVEREIGN (SB653?))

Click to enlarge image

S.T. George Cousins FD343

S.T. George Cousins FD343

S.T. Daniel Clowden FD355

Technical

Official Number: 141952
Yard Number: 122
Completed: 1919
Gross Tonnage: 280
Net Tonnage: 113
Length: 125.6 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 14.1 ft
Built: George Brown & Co, Greenock
Engine: 480ihp T.3-cyl by Gauldie, Gillespie & Co, Glasgow

History

Ordered by The Admiralty (“Castle” class) (Ad.No.4446).
8.8.1919: Sold while building to Victory Steam Trawling Co (Fleetwood) Ltd, Fleetwood.
13.11.1919: Completed by George Brown & Co, Greenock (Yd.No.122) as DANIEL CLOWDEN.
20.11.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD355). Walter Morley appointed manager.
9.10.1922: Registered at Fleetwood as HANNAH WOODBRIDGE (FD355).
1928: Sold to Iago Steam Trawlers Ltd, London & Milford Haven (Edward D. W. Lawford, manager).
8.3.1928: Fleetwood registry closed.
10.3.1928: Registered at London (LO129).
16.5.1928: Registered at London as DANIEL CLOWDEN (LO129).
3.1930: Transferred to Fleetwood when Edward D. W. Lawford moved his vessels to the port.
6.1930: On Klondyke (Inishtrahull) ground in scruffy weather, shooting the trawl, warps tangled rudder and propeller. After discussion with owners, steam trawler PETER CAREY (LO126) was dispatched to assist, connected and towed to Inishtrahull where warps were freed. Sailed again for grounds off Co. Galway but had boiler stay collapse, steam and boiling water flooding into the stokehold and engineroom. 2nd engineer, C. W. Ollsen, Blackpool was on watch and although scalded shouted to the fireman who was in the bunkers to escape which he did through the open bunker lid. Ollsen managed to get a pump running and filled the boiler with cold water. Drifted for 24 hours until taken in tow by PETER CAREY for the 300 mile trip to Fleetwood.
27.6.1930: Arrived Fleetwood.
27.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service on examination service and as a minesweeper (1-12pdr)(P.No.FY.531) (Hire rate £87.10.0d/month).
21.12.1939: S. Daniel Smith RNR appointed CO. Based Kirkwall with M/S Group 45.
18.12.1940: Ty/Lieut A. Flaaten RNR appointed Co. Based Scapa Flow with M/S Group 44.
25.7.1941: Ty/Act/Lieut. N. Fitzsimmons RNVR appointed CO.
12.1941: Sk. Peter Buchan DSC RNR appointed CO.
2.1942: Ty/Sk. Edward Westhead RNR appointed CO.
21.10.1942: Sk. J. Ferguson RNR appointed CO.
31.3.1943: Ty/Sk. Arthur John Thomas RNR appointed CO.
7.1943: Ty/Sk. J.S. Cobby RNR appointed CO.
16.9.1944: Sk. Murdo Macleod RNR appointed CO.
23.1.1945: At Le Havre.
7.2.1945: At St. Vess.
26.2.1945: At Cherbourg.
27.3.1945: At Falmouth.
29.3.1945: At Milford Haven.
1.5.1945: Paid off.
30.5.1945: Sailed Milford Haven for Greenock.
31.5.1945: Arrived Greenock.
2.6.1945: Moved to Port Glasgow.
9.1945: Surveyed and restored at Port Glasgow.
5.10.1945: Returned.
4.1946: Sold to Haven Trawlers Ltd, Milford Haven (Robert P. Lewis, manager). Fishing from Fleetwood.
13.8.1948: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood for £13698. Registered at Fleetwood (FD280).
27.11.1952: Sank whilst berthed at North-end staging, Fleetwood; the steam ejector valve had been removed and after storing and priming boiler on staging, outlet was below waterline.
12.1952: Refloated by Liverpool & Glasgow Salvage Assoc’s salvage steamer RANGER (409grt/1880), towed back to Wyre Dock but following survey declared beyond economical repair.
12.1952: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up.
(4)13.12.1952: Delivered Preston.

(Daniel Clowden, AB, age 24, b. London – ROYAL SOVEREIGN (SB250))

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Daniel Clowden FD355

S.T. Daniel Clowden FD355
Picture courtesy of The David Slinger Collection

S.T. Daniel Clowden FD355

S.T. Daniel Clowden FD355
Picture from the Internet

S.T. Daniel Clowden FD355

S.T. Daniel Clowden FD355

S.T. Daniel Clowden FD355

S.T. Daniel Clowden FD280
Picture courtesy of James Cullen

Changelog
12/01/2014: Picture added.
27/02/2015: Picture added.
01/08/2016: Information updated.
21/07/2017: Removed disputed image and FMHT watermarks.

S.T. Clevela FD94

Additional material courtesy of Mike Thompson

Technical

Official Number 162061
Yard Number: 1073
Completed:1930
Gross Tonnage: 355
Net Tonnage: 140
Length: 140.0 ft
Breadth: 25 ft
Depth: 13.4 ft
Engine: 97HP T.3-cyl by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby

History

(In 1935 the Hull trawler Leonidas (162186) (H267) was lengthened by Smiths Dock Co. Ltd. The work involved creating an improved hull form with new bow and stern sections. The design was successful, not only providing increased fish room capacity, but also, as was expected, reducing coal consumption and giving a slightly higher free running speed. Other owners stemmed vessels at Middlesbrough for similar work to be undertaken)

15.2.1930: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd. No.1073) for J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood as CLEVELA.
10.3.1930: Completed (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, manager).
7.4.1930: Registered at Fleetwood (FD94).
1934: Transferred to City Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (Leslie James Marr, manager) after J. Marr & Son Ltd bought the company.
1938: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, managers). Fishing from Hull.
17.11.1938: Completed lengthening by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Middlesbrough to 155.5 feet (including fitting new bow and stern sections). Re measured 387g 151n.
9.8.1939: Sailed Hull for White Sea grounds (Sk. William Drever).
1.9.1939: At Hull landed 1,767 kits grossed £1,552.
2.9.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr) (P.No.FY.678) (Hire rate £202.12.11d/month).
1940: Based Grimsby with M/S Group 19.
2.1946: Sold to Trident Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, manager).
2.1946: Fleetwood registry closed.
7.2.1946: Registered at Hull (H201).
13.5.1946: Returned after survey and restoration at Liverpool.
15.5.1946: Sailed Hull on first trip to Icelandic grounds (Sk. C. Johansen).
5.6.1946: At Hull landed 1,661 kits grossed £1,819 (depressed market).
11.10.1946: Sold to Dinas Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (David Marr, manager).
2.11.1946: Last landing at Hull, from White Sea grounds (Sk. C. Johansen), 1,507 kits grossed £4,490.
11.12.1947: Sold to Iago Steam Trawler Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Percy Lincoln Campbell, manager).
17.6.1948: Hull registry closed.
6.1948: Registered at London as RED PLUME (LO419). Transferred to Fleetwood (Cdr. E. D. W. Lawford DSO, manager).
10.8.1955: Sold to Thos. Hamling & Co Ltd, Hull (Harold Watson Hall, manager) for £17,000 plus £2,269.7.1d for gear and £250 for radar.
8.1954: London registry closed.
19.8.1955: Registered at Hull (H83).
13.8.1955 – 24.11.1955: Made three trips to Icelandic grounds (Sk. G. Barker); total 65 days, 2,417 kits grossed £9,225.12.0d.
1956: Sold to BISCO (£6,000) and allocated to J.J. King Ltd, Gateshead for breaking up (value of gear landed prior to sale £984.14.5d).
26.3.1956: Delivered Tyne under tow (Towage cost £323.13.7d).

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Clevela FD94

S.T. Clevela FD94
Picture from the Internet

HMT Clevela

HMT Clevela
Picture reproduced under IWM Non-Commercial Licence

S.T.  Red Plume LO419

S.T. Red Plume LO419
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
24/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
25/03/2018: Removed FMHT watermark and added an image.

S.T. John Cattling LO364

Additional material courtesy of Alan Sandall, Frome Rotary Club

Technical

Admiralty Number: 3676
Official Number: 143829
Yard Number: 356
Completed: 1918
Gross Tonnage: 276
Net Tonnage: 113
Length: 125.7 ft
Breadth: 23.4 ft
Depth: 12.8 ft
Engine: 480ihp T.3-cyl by Bow, McLachlan & Co Ltd, Paisley
Built: Bow, McLachlan & Co Ltd, Paisley

History

John Cattling at War

12.4.1918: Launched by Bow, McLachlan & Co Ltd, Paisley (Yd.No.356) (“Castle” class) for The Admiralty as JOHN CATTLING (Ad.No.3676).
24.4.1918: Completed (1-12pdr, 1-3.5” A/S Howitzer, Hydrophone and W/T). Based Portland.
8.8.1918: Off St. Cathrine’s Point, Isle of Wight, in collision in the morning with HM Trawler MICHAEL CLEMENTS (Ad.No.3676) which foundered in position 50.21N 01.25W.
28.11.1919: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part I) as JOHN CATTLING O.N.143892.
4.5.1920: Sold by auction at Milford to The Iago Steam Trawler Co Ltd, Milford Haven for £8300.
2.6.1920: Registered at London (Part IV)(LO364). Charles Curzon designated manager.
1930: Transferred to Fleetwood when Edward D. W. Lawford moved his vessels to the port.
29.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service on examination service and as a minesweeper (1-12pdr, 2-20mm) (P.No.FY.536) (Hire rate £82.16.0d/month). 30.1.1940: Ty/Sk. George W. Aldan RNR appointed CO.
24.5.1940: Off Dover picked up one officer and five ratings from carley float, survivors from HMS WESSEX (P.No.D43) (Lt. Cdr. W. A. R. Cartwright RN) bombed and sunk in defence of Calais.
24.5.1940: Arrived Calais for service as W/T link.
26.5.1940: At 1857 ‘Operation Dynamo’ (Dunkirk evacuation) put into effect.
29.5.1940: At 1330 ARLEY and FYLDEA entered Dunkirk harbour in company to pull the fully laden passenger steamer LOCHGARRY (1280grt/1898) away from the east pier; occupied the vacant berth. BROCK, CALVI, JOHN CATTLING and Polly Johnson berthed, triple banked to evacuate troops, At 1530 attacked by German aircraft (Junkers Ju87, Stuka dive bombers), destroyer HMS GRENADE (P.No.H86) (Cdr Richard Courtenay Boyle RN) hit by two bombs and set on fire with 14 killed and 4 wounded. Warship cast off from jetty in case she foundered alongside, but drifted into harbour channel. Left berth, connected and towed destroyer to the west side of the outer harbour. CALVI bombed and sank alongside and POLLY JOHNSON damaged. In the evening GRENADE magazines exploded.
30.6.1940: Arrived Dover at 1800 with 77 troops. Ty/Sk. George W. Aldan RNR awarded DSC for this incident and evacuation. (See also GWENLLIAN (FD102).
13.9.1940: Sk. Robert Burwood RNR appointed CO (Sk. Aldan injured by bomb blast while on shore leave).
4.4.1941: Ch. Sk. Albert Winterburn Bowles RNR appointed CO.
30.5.1941: Sk. Tom Smith RNR appointed CO.
Late 1942: Ty/Sk. Joseph Thomas Arnold RNR appointed CO.
26.1.1943: A/Capt Edward Douglas Wyndham Lawford RN awarded DSO for service in HMS POZARICA (P.No.4.261) A/A ship on Russian convoys.
31.12.1943: Ty/Sk. Bertram Carlton RNR appointed CO.
5.9.1944: Ty/Sk. Alfred Halliwell DSC RNR appointed CO.
5.1945: Paid off.
6.1945: Surveyed and restored at Glasgow.
12.7.1945: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
1949: Sold to George Walker, Aberdeen.
5.1949: London registry closed.
25.5.1949: Registered at Aberdeen (A628).
16.12.1950: Repossessed by Clydesdale & North of Scotland Bank Ltd, Glasgow.
15.1.1951: Sold to Andrew Walker King, James King & John Black, Aberdeen. Andrew W. King designated managing owner.
12.2.1954: Sold to Andrew Walker King, James King & James Caie, Aberdeen. Andrew W. King designated managing owner.
22.2.1954: Sold to Andrew Walker King & James King, Aberdeen. Andrew W. King designated managing owner.
5.1957: Sold for breaking up in Germany.
10.5.1957: Arrived Hamburg from Aberdeen under own power.
21.5.1957: Aberdeen registry closed.
(John Cattling, Boy, age 19, b. Harford, Devon – VICTORY (SB?))

Click to enlarge images

S.T. John Cattling LO364

S.T. John Cattling LO364
Picture from the Internet

Skipper George William Aldan

Skipper George William Aldan
Picture courtesy of The John Pennell Collection

Skipper Aldan letter

Skipper Aldan letter
courtesy of Frome Rotary Club

Changelog
24/01/2009: Page published. 7 updates since then.
07/05/2017: Added image and removed FMHT watermark.
14/05/2019: Updated the history of this vessel.