Additional material courtesy of Alan Sandall, Frome Rotary Club
Admiralty Number: 3676
Official Number: 143829
Yard Number: 356
Gross Tonnage: 276
Net Tonnage: 113
Length: 125.7 ft
Breadth: 23.4 ft
Depth: 12.8 ft
Engine: 61HP T.3-cyl by Bow, McLachlan & Co Ltd, Paisley
Built: Bow, McLachlan & Co Ltd, Paisley
12.4.1918: Launched by Bow, McLachlan & Co Ltd, Paisley (Yd.No.356) (“Castle” class) for The Admiralty as JOHN CATTLING (Ad.No.3676).
24.4.1918: Completed (1 -12pdr, 1 -3.5” A/S Howitzer, Hydro and W/T).
8.8.1918: In collision in the morning with MICHAEL CLEMENTS (Ad.No.3676) which foundered in position 50.21N 1.25W.
1919: Registered by The Admiralty in the Registry of British Ships at London.
4.5.1920: Sold by auction at Milford to The Iago Steam Trawler Co Ltd, Milford Haven (Charles Curzon, manager) for £8300.
2.6.1920: Registered at London (LO364).
1930: Transferred to Fleetwood when Edward D. W. Lawford moved his vessels to the port.
29.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service on examination service and as a minesweeper (1-12pdr, 2-20mm) (P.No.FY.536) (Hire rate £82.16.0d/month).
30.1.1940: Ty/Sk. George W. Aldan RNR appointed CO.
24.5.1940: Off Dover picked up one officer and five ratings from carley float, survivors from HMS WESSEX (P.No.D43) (Lt. Cdr. W. A. R. Cartwright RN) bombed and sunk in defence of Calais.
26.5 – 4.6.1940: At Calais and Dunkirk evacuation (Operation Dynamo).
28/29.5.1940: Alongside East Mole, Dunkirk to evacuate troops, attacked by German aircraft (Junkers Ju87, Stuka dive bombers), destroyer HMS GRENADE (P.No.H86) (Cdr Richard Courtenay Boyle RN) hit by two bombs and set on fire with 14 killed and 4 wounded. Warship cast off from jetty in case she foundered alongside, but drifted into harbour channel. Left berth, connected and towed destroyer to the west side of the outer harbour. In the evening GRENADE magazines exploded. Ty/Sk. George W. Aldan RNR awarded DSC for this incident and evacuation, transporting 77 troops (See also GWENLLIAN (FD102).
13.9.1940: Sk. Robert Burwood RNR appointed CO (Sk. Aldan injured by bomb blast while on shore leave).
4.4.1941: Ch. Sk. Albert Winterburn Bowles RNR appointed CO.
30.5.1941: Sk. Tom Smith RNR appointed CO.
Late 1942: Ty/Sk. Joseph Thomas Arnold RNR appointed CO.
31.12.1943: Ty/Sk. Bertram Carlton RNR appointed CO. Ty/Sk. Alfred Halliwell DSC RNR appointed CO.
5.1945: Paid off.
6.1945: Surveyed and restored at Glasgow.
12.7.1945: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
1949: Sold to Andrew W. King, Aberdeen (managing owner). London registry closed. Registered at Aberdeen (A628).
5.1957: Sold for breaking up in Germany.
10.5.1957: Arrived Hamburg from Aberdeen under own power.
1957: Aberdeen registry closed.
(John Cattling, Boy, age 19, b. Harford, Devon – VICTORY (SB?))
(Note: During WW2 the ship was adopted by the Rotary Club and Inner Wheel in Frome, Somerset and close contact maintained between the Rotary Club and the Commanding Officers throughout the war.)
Click to enlarge images
24/01/2009: Page published. 7 updates since then.
07/05/2017: Added image and removed FMHT watermark.