Category Archives: No entries in this category

S.T. Kitty (1) – A819

Additional information courtesy of Christine Simm, Andy Hall and George Westwood

Technical

Official Number: 106545
Yard Number: 365
Gross Tonnage: 135.31
Net Tonnage: 33.31
length: 96.9 ft
Breadth: 20.15 ft
Depth: 11.80 ft
Built: A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Engine: 320ihp C.2-cyl and boiler by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

6.1897: Completed by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.365) for Frederick James Brown, Grimsby and Thomas Henry Lundy, Aberdeen (64/64 joint owners) as KITTY.
31.5.1897: Registered at Aberdeen (A819). Landing mainly into Grimsby and Aberdeen.
12.12.1897: Alongside Commercial Wharf, Aberdeen. George Kite (36), fisherman, fell 25ft into the graving dock, his fall broken by 2ft of water in the dock bottom. Attended for severely cut head.
22.9.1898: Sold to Thomas Henry Lundy and William Hall Dodds, Aberdeen (64/64 joint owners). Thomas H. Lundy designated managing owner.
3.11.1898: At Aberdeen landed from a Faroe trip, five ling, total weight 322lbs; the largest 86lbs.
1.12.1898: Sailed for Faroe grounds (Sk. Tyvold).
13.12.1898: Arrived Aberdeen and reported loss of crewman John Hales (23), Grimsby, washed overboard in heavy seas on 6th December.
17.10.1899: At Aberdeen with one other liner landed a total of 11 tons.
27.3.1903: At Aberdeen, Sk. John Morrice reported that he had called at St. Kilda and noted that there was a scarcity of clothing and boots amongst the islanders. Through the kindness of W. H. Dodds & Co, clothing, mails etc will be made up for delivery to St Kilda on the next trip.
29.3.1903: Sailed Aberdeen for West of Scotland grounds (Sk. John Morrice), weather permitting the goods and mails to be landed at Hirta.
16.9.1903: Arrived Aberdeen. Sk Morrice reported that during the trip they had again called at St. Kilda with mails and goods, anchoring in Village Bay, Hirta and remained there for three days, delayed by strong winds. He found the islanders in the best of health and was very impressed by their hospitality. On Sunday he and several crew members attended divine service and the minister paid them the courtesy of delivering the latter part of his sermon in English. There was however much discontent in that the islanders had refused to pay the tax in kind, on cattle and sheep numbers, etc and were much in arrears. As a result the owner, Sir Reginald MacLeod of MacLeod, through his agent, had indicated that he would not supply the regular consignment of oatmeal at the end of the year. When Sk. Morrice stated that he would return to the islands at a later date, he was given a list of purchases to be made on their behalf.
5.6.1905: Arrived in Aberdeen and reported loss of the boat in the recent gale in the West of Scotland.
19.3.1907: Sold to James Strachan Milne, Aberdeen. James S. Milne designated managing owner.
19.5.1909: At Fleetwood landed 260 boxes, 50 halibut.
1.7.1909: At Fleetwood landed 50 boxes, 300 halibut.
22.11.1909: At Fleetwood landed 20 boxes, 230 halibut.
8.8.1910: At Fleetwood landed 98 boxes, 130 halibut.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 49.48 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
27.2.1914: Sold to William Alexander Leith and John Walker (64/64 joint owners), Aberdeen. William A. Leith designated managing owner.
19.1.1917: Sold to John Sheriff Ellis, Scarborough.
28.2.1917: Aberdeen registry closed.
2.3.1917: Registered at Scarborough (SH290).
12.3.1917: Sold to Alliance Steam Trawling Co, Scarborough.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
1919: Released.
4.6.1919: Sold to John Henry Waite, Scarborough/Winterton-on-Sea. John Henry Waite designated managing owner.
21.1.1920: Sold to Harry F. Eastick, Gt. Yarmouth, James William Powley, Caister-on-Sea and William Thomas Pipe, Lowestoft.
14.2.1920: Scarborough registry closed.
16.2.1920: Registered at Yarmouth (YH250). James W, Powley designated managing owner. Trawling, working short trips landing into Yarmouth.
26.8.1920: Landed 15 tons of fish. Prices remained at high levels.
1.1.1921: Landed a 3ft, 3st sturgeon. Bought by Mr Neville Clarke as a gift for the King and left Yarmouth on the Saturday morning train for Sandringham.
26.1.1922: Landed under 400 stone, comprising (stones), 203 plaice, 33 prime, 50 whiting, 30 roker, 13 cod and 15 codling, etc.
3.2.1922: Landed 65 stone, made up of 4 prime, 15 plaice, 15 roker, 23 whiting and some cod and codling, etc.
27.2.1922: Landed a sturgeon weighing 15lbs, purchased by Mr Robert Beazor.
6.9.1922: Landed 628 stone.
11.1.1923: On the Fish Wharf, Gt. Yarmouth offered for sale Without Reserve by Norford Suffling Ltd on behalf of Messrs H. F. Eastick and J. Powley who are dissolving partnership. Vessel has been extremely well kept having recently had new wooden decks, new funnel and ventilators, boiler re-tubed, new condenser tubes, plates and brass ferrules, bunker side and stoke hole plates renewed. In 1922 tail end withdrawn, crank shaft lifted and engine thoroughly adjusted. Trawl winches in first class condition and can work 300 fathoms of wire on each drum. Bunkers will stow 55 tons of coal. Now trawling from Yarmouth and will be sold “as from sea” with full trawling outfit and usual inventory of sea-going stores. No person requiring a handy-sized vessel for trawling, seining or lining should miss this chance of buying at absolute Market Value Only.
11.1.1923: Sold to Newton, Sons & Co Ltd, Sunderland for the sum of £1,323.
13.1.1923: Yarmouth registry closed.
1.1923. Registered at Sunderland (SD276). Benjamin L. Newton designated manager. Landing into North Shields and Sunderland.
9.4.1923: At North Shields, landed a fair supply.
18.7.1925: At North Shields, landed, but with 450 boxes and 30 score on the market prices were only moderate.
24.7.1925: Homeward from the fishing grounds in dense fog, stranded on the belt of rocks between Whitburn and Roker, known as the Bents. Signals of distress alerted the Life Saving crew but their services were not required as the vessel was in no danger. Tugs attended but because it was low water services could not be rendered. Came afloat on next tide and berthed at North Shields.
1928: Sold to John H. Irvin, Tynemouth.
7.2.1931: In the morning outwards from North Shields for the fishing grounds. The steam trawler CHAMPION (HL37) (Sk. T. Gibbs, North Shields), also outwards, in going astern to avoid the KITTY took the ground at the end of the Groyne, South Shields. Came afloat on the afternoon tide and proceeded to Clelland’s, Willington Quay slipway for survey.
1931: Broken up. Sunderland registry closed.

Changelog
20/11/2021: Page published.
25/11/2021: Updated information.

S.D. Welcome Home – LT256

Seasonal visitor

Technical

Official Number: 145830
Yard Number 559
Completed: 1925
Gross Tonnage: 104
Net Tonnage: 44
Length: 88.0 ft
Breadth: 20.5 ft
Depth: 10.5 ft
Built: John Chambers Ltd, Lowestoft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Crabtree & Co Ltd, Gt. Yarmouth
Wooden built

History

1925: Completed by John Chambers Ltd, Lowestoft (Yd No.559) for Albert E. Beamish, Lowestoft as WELCOME HOME.
13.8.1925: Registered at Lowestoft (LT256). Albert E. Beamish designated managing owner.
1928: Seasonal white fish trawling out of Fleetwood.
20.6.1928: Typical landing 15 boxes.
25.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeping drifter (Hire rate £37.14.0d/month).
4.1943: Employed on miscellaneous naval duties.
1945: Returned to owner.
1947: Sold to Victor J. Thompson, Gt. Yarmouth & Norman A. W. Beamish, Beccles.
1957: Sold for breaking up. Lowestoft registry closed.

Changelog
14/08/2021: Page published.

S.T. Jessie Wetherly – A228

Additional information courtesy of Christine Simm

Technical

Official Number: 127154
Yard Number: 452
Completed: 1908
Gross Tonnage: 214.81
Net Tonnage: 78.56
Length: 116.1 ft
Breadth: 22.6 ft
Depth: 12.2 ft
Built: Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Engine: T.3-cyl by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

6.5.1908: Launched by Mrs Wetherly, wife of Sk. Robert Wetherley Jnr. at Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.452) for Wetherley’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Aberdeen as JESSIE WETHERLY.
11.6.1908: Registered at Aberdeen (A228).
5.1908: Completed. William R. Wetherly designated manager.
10.6.1908: In fine weather sailed Aberdeen at about 11.00 am on a trial trip with a large number of invited guests (Sk. Robert Wetherly). After steaming in a NE direction for about a couple of hours the trawl was shot. On hauling, the catch was distributed among the guests. In late afternoon returned to Aberdeen.
1909: Fishing out of Fleetwood.
15.1.1909: With rough weather on the fishing grounds, landed 70 boxes.
27.3.1909: Landed 250 boxes.
14.4.1909: Landed 140 boxes.
11.5.1909: Landed 200 boxes.
8.10.1909: Possibly last landing at Fleetwood, 255 boxes.
11.1909: At Aberdeen (Messrs Smith, Jameson & Holmes, agents).
26.11.1909: Landed 16 tons including 300 boxes and 1 ton side fish.
7.12.1909: Landed 230 boxes and 31/2 tons side fish.
11.1.1910: Landed 180 boxes and 8 score.
30.3.1910: Landed 220 boxes and 51/2 tons.
1.4.1910: Sailed Aberdeen for Iceland grounds (Sk. Robert Erskine Wetherly); twelve hands all told.
5.4.1910: In clear visibility, fair breeze with a full moon shining, but a heavy sea running, fishing some 20 – 30 miles from Vestmannaeyjar in the company of other trawlers. At about 1.30 am. the skipper shouted to those on deck “ Look out there “. Immediately afterwords the Arcachon steam trawler NORDCAPER (ARC51), with lights burning, crashed into the side abreast the engine room. The French trawler rebounded with force of impact but with steam not having been shut off, went ahead crashing into the side again doing considerable damage. Following the collision all hands were on deck, some only partially clothed, but prepared to abandon, it being seen that the chance of remaining onboard was hopeless as she was starting to settle. All crew* taken onboard the NORDCAPER and shortly after trawler foundered. Landed at Reykjavik.
19.4.1910: Survivors sailed Reykjavik for Leith in Danish mail steamer CERES (1166grt/1882).
22.4.1910: Survivors arrived Leith.
23.4.1910: Survivors arrived Aberdeen.
28.4.1910: Aberdeen registry closed “Vessel sunk after collision off Iceland 5th April 1910”. Vessel was fully insured.

Crew* saved: Sk. R. E. Wetherly; John Gallagher, mate; D. M’Hattie, A. Mitchell and W. Goldsmith, engineers; James Boyle, John Buchan, James Tocher and W. Thomson, fishermen; D. Allen and J. Hedcocks, deckhands; Joseph Murray, cook.

Changelog
10/08/2021: Page published.

S.T. John Brown – IJM109

Occasional visitor
Additional information courtesy of Jan Harteveld

Technical

Yard Number: 747
Completed: 1904
Gross Tonnage: 180
Net Tonnage: 81
Length: 110.1 ft
Breadth: 20.8 ft
Depth: 8.8 ft
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields
Engine: 350ihp T.3-cyl & boiler by MacColl & Pollock Ltd, Sunderland

History

16.8.1904: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.747) for Maatschappij Groningen, IJmuiden (Maatschapij “De Zeven Provinciën“) (C. Planteydt Tz) as JOHN BROWN.
11.1904: Completed. Registered at IJmuiden (IJM109).
1908: Sold to Algemeene Visscherij Maatschappij, IJmuiden.
16.5.1910: Landed at Fleetwood 40 boxes.
1920: Sold to Vereenigde Exploitatie Maatschappij, IJmuiden.
At beginning of 1930s: Laid up at IJmuiden in the Haringhaven.
1936: Sold for breaking up. IJmuiden registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. John Brown IJM109

S.T. John Brown IJM109
Picture courtesy of The Jan Harteveld Collection

S.T. John Brown IJM109

S.T. John Brown IJM109
Picture courtesy of The Jan Harteveld Collection

Changelog
20/07/2021: Page published.

S.T. Clara Nicol – IJM108

Occasional visitor
Additional information courtesy of Jan Harteveld

Technical

Yard Number: 748
Completed: 1904
Gross Tonnage: 180
Net Tonnage: 81
Length: 110.1 ft
Breadth: 20.8 ft
Depth: 8.8 ft
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields
Engine 350ihp T.3-cy and boiler by MacColl & Pollock Ltd, Sunderland

History

16.8.1904: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.748) for Maatschappij Groningen, IJmuiden (Maatschapij “De Zeven Provinciën“) (C. Planteydt Tz) as CLARA NICOL.
11.1904: Completed. Registered at IJmuiden (IJM108).
1908: Sold to Algemeene Visscherij Maatschappij, IJmuiden.
16.5.1910: Landed at Fleetwood 40 boxes.
1920: Sold to Vereenigde Exploitatie Maatschappij, IJmuiden.
Beginning of 1930s: Laid up at IJmuiden in the Haringhaven.
1936: Sold for breaking up. IJmuiden registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Clara Nicol IJM108

S.T. Clara Nicol IJM108
Picture courtesy of The Jan Harteveld Collection

Changelog
20/07/2021: Page published.