sv Pursuit – FD4


Registered net tonnage: 34
Net tonnage: 29
Rig: Smack


W/c 22.08.1825: Launched by Miller, Cowes for Trinity Board pilot William Bridge as PURSUIT.
25.11.1840: Arrived Cowes with disabled ship EVERETHA (Capt Darley) from Sydney, in tow, picked up under jury rig with total loss of foremast and main and mizzen topmasts, ten days previously. Cargo wool and mail.
By 1840: Arrived Fleetwood from Cowes to supplement the Lancaster pilot boat GUIDE which also worked at Fleetwood. With little commercial traffic, equipped with beam trawl and engaged in fishing, breaking off to board a pilot as required. The first smack to trawl out of Fleetwood.
From 1843: On hire to The Admiralty as required, Capt. H. Denham and Cdr J Richards RN conducting survey, Formby Point to Firth of Solway. Chart published 9th August 1850.
10.1854: Sold to Robert Roskell & others trading as The Fleetwood Fishing Company.
21.10.1854: Registered at Fleetwood (FD4).
By 1860: Owned by Robert Wilson, Fleetwood.
4.2.1862: When some 20 miles west of Blackpool (Sk. R. Wilson) picked up 3 puncheons of whisky marked “McNab, Glenochil” or “John Bold, Carse Bridge”.
5.2.1862: Landed at Fleetwood to Mr Walker, Receiver of Wrecks for the District, total landed by all fishing boats, 39 puncheons, some 7,100 gallons of proof spirits, the duty of which would be upwards of £3,500. Value ex duty from £800 to £900, the boats would expect to receive salvage of one third.
By 1884: Stripped and abandoned at Fleetwood. Fleetwood registry closed.

14/07/2023: Page published.