Information courtesy of Andy Hall Granton Trawlers
If you have any further historical or technical information about this vessel, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Gross Tonnage: 17.9
Length: 46 ft
Breadth: 13.3 ft
Depth: 6.1 ft
Rig: Ketch (aux motor)
Ketch motor and sail – Nets & lines
1913: Launched by William & James Wood & Sons, Lossiemouth (Yd.No.?) for Robert Carmack, Inverness as UNIQUE.
1913: Completed and registered at Inverness (INS370).
3.11.1915: Sold to Peter Lees, Andrew Christie and John Gove, Aberdeen.
11.1915: Inverness registry closed.
23.11.1915: Registered at Aberdeen (A565).
12.12.1916: Sold to Ernest Taylor, Fleetwood.
23.3.1917: Sold to Ernest Taylor & Noah Ashworth, Fleetwood.
23.7.1917: Vessel mortgaged to London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (A).
25.10.1917: Mortgage (A) discharged.
31.10.1917: Sold to John Robertson, Kinsale, Co Cork.
9.4.1918: Aberdeen registry closed.
1918: Registered at Cork (C132).
1937: Vessel still recorded in Olsen’s.
24/08/2014: Page published.
Additional material courtesy of Douglas Paterson and Bill Blow
Official Number: 95807
Yard Number: 42
Gross Tonnage: 141
Net Tonnage: 68
Length: 103.7 ft
Breadth: 20.3 ft
Depth: 10.7 ft
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
1889: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull (Yd.No.42) for Robert Hellyer & James Chant, Hull as GRAPHIC.
10.10.1889: Completed. Charles Hellyer appointed manager.
10.10.1889: Registered at Hull (H78).
1890: Remeasured under Portuguese rules 45.32n.
3.1890: Sold to Parceria de Pescarais Norte, Oporto.
19.3.1890: Hull registry closed.
3.1890: Registered at Oporto as CHIRE.
11.1909: Sold to William Collie & Samuel Caie, Aberdeen.
6.12.1909: Registered at Aberdeen as VIOLET CAIE (A302).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 52.28 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
22.5.1914: Badly damaged whilst berthed at Fish Market in Aberdeen when struck by steam trawler STEWART BOYLE (GW27).
10.10.1915: Sold to Richard Gore, Tarleton, Preston, Edward Walmsley, Croston, Joseph Blackburn, Croston & Ernest Taylor, Thornton-le-Fylde. Ernest Taylor designated managing owner.
2.2.1916: Sold to The Croston Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood. Ernest Taylor, Thornton-le-Fylde appointed manager.
5.1917: Sold to George Frederick Sleight (64/64), Grimsby.
11.5.1917: Aberdeen registry closed.
14.5.1917: George Sleight designated managing owner.
21.5.1917: Registered at Grimsby (GY1051).
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
19.3.1921: Sir George Frederick Sleight Bart died.
8.1922: New boiler fitted
18.10.1922: Probate granted to Raymond Lawrence Humphrey, Healing as sole surviving executor.
3.12.1925: Ownership registered to Raymond Lawrence Humphrey (64/64), Healing.
3.12.1925: Raymond Lawrence Humphrey designated managing owner.
12.1925: Sold to Moreau & Cayrouse, Dieppe.
4.12.1925: Grimsby registry closed. Registered at Dieppe as JACQUELINE-LOUISE (D??).
1.1926: Remeasured under French rules 148g 41n.
1937: Sold to shipbreakers and broken up. Dieppe registry closed.
I WENT DOWN GRIMSBY DOCKS ONE DAY
AND SIGNED ON THE GOOD SHIP VIOLET CAIE
WENT AWAY WHEN THE BELLS WERE RINGING
AND THE BOYS ON THE DECK THEY STOOD THERE SINGING
WE LIKE GOING TO SEA, WE LIKE GOING TO SEA
THE SEAS ALRIGHT ON A WINDY NIGHT
BECAUSE WE LIKE GOING TO SEA.
05/04/2013: Page published. 2 updates since then.
21/06/2016: Information updated.
Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow
Official Number: 106669
Yard Number: 117
Gross Tonnage: 132
Net Tonnage: 45
Length: 99.2 ft
Breadth: 20.0 ft
Depth: 10.3 ft
Engine: 250ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Muir & Houston Ltd, Glasgow
Built: Mackie & Thomson, Govan
19.9.1896: Launched by Mackie & Thomson, Govan (Yd. No.117) for The Grimsby North Sea Steam Trawling Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby as CRATER.
27.10.1896: John Richardson Mackrill appointed manager.
27.10.1896: Registered at Grimsby (GY111).
14.11.1916: Sold to Ernest Taylor (64/64), Thornton.
14.11.1916: Ernest Taylor, Thornton appointed manager.
28.11.1916: Sold to Noah Ashworth, Fleetwood & Ernest Taylor, Thornton (joint owners).
30.12.1916: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London(A).
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
18.7.1919: Grimsby registry closed.
20.7.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD330).
1923: Sold to Joseph D. Irvin, North Shields (managing owner).
28.11.1923: Fleetwood registry closed.
29.11.1923: Registered at North Shields (SN135).
2.2.1926: Returning to Shields (Sk. A. Annan), struck submerged object 6.5 miles east of Souter Lighthouse and foundered; crew saved.
2.6.1926: North Shields registry closed.
NOTE : she was returning to Tyneside after a fishing trip when she struck an unidentified submerged object, believed to be wreckage, and sank some 6.5 miles to the east of Souter lighthouse.
The wreck, which has yet to be positively identified, lies on hard sand and shale in a spoil ground area at a depth of 54m, the lowest astronomical depth. The wreck is intact except for damage to the quarter deck and forecastle structures which have collapsed.
17/05/2012: Page published. 7 updates since then.
Official Number: 114192
Yard Number: 226
Gross Tonnage: 224
Net Tonnage: 89
Length: 120.3 ft
Breadth: 22 ft
Depth: 11.8 ft
Engine: 3-cyl by J. S. Vaux & Co Ltd, Sunderland
Built: J. Duthie, Sons & Co, Aberdeen
15.6.1901: Launched by J. Duthie, Sons & Co, Aberdeen (Yd.No.226) for Aberdeen Icelandic Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen as PRINCESS MELTON.
9.9.1901: Registered at Aberdeen (A440).
9.1901: Completed (J. A. Gordon, manager).
1902: New boiler fitted.
9.1.1912: Sold to Thomas Lauder, Aberdeen (managing owner).
8.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.322).
5.11.1918: Sold to Ernest Taylor, Noah Ashworth & Rowland Morris, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager). Based Tyne.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
16.7.1919: Aberdeen registry closed.
20.7.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD326).
1921: Sold to Ernest Taylor, Thornton (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
26.2.1925: Sold to Alexander Jack, Glasgow.
26.2.1925: Sold to Bowden Ramster, Fleetwood (Alexander Keay, manager).
23.12.1925: Sold to Dalby Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Bowden Ramster, manager).
1932: Sold to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up at Preston.
12.10.1932: Fleetwood registry closed, advise received from owners “Ship broken up”.
Click to enlarge image
S.T. Princess Melton FD326
Picture courtesy of The Fred Baker Collection
17/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
18/06/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from image.
Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow
Official Number: 139954
Yard Number: 531
Gross Tonnage: 255
Net Tonnage: 95
Length: 120.2 ft
Breadth: 22.5 ft
Depth: 12.1 ft
Engine: 500ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Built: A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
2.1917: Launched by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.531) for John Edward Rushworth, William Henry Bellamy, Joseph Davison, William Upham Carlile Westaby, all of Grimsby (64/64 joint owners) as SARRAIL.
12.7.1917: Registered at Grimsby (GY1071).
12.7.1917: John Edward Rushworth designated managing owner.
13.7.1917: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Barclays Bank Ltd, London (A). Requisitioned from the builders and fitted out as a minesweeper (1-12pdr) (Ad.No.3050).
6.11.1917: Mortgage (A) discharged.
6.11.1917: Sold to The Yarborough Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
8.11.1917: John Edward Rushworth appointed manager.
8.11.1917: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Barclays Bank Ltd, London (B).
5.3.1918: Mortgage (B) discharged.
8.3.1918: Sold to The Great Northern Steamship Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Hull.
11.3.1918: William Richard Nowell appointed manager.
1.7.1918: Sailed Devonport for Falmouth.
6.7.1918: Sailed Falmouth escorting Convoy O.F.42 to Mediterranean.
21.8.1918: Grimsby registry closed.
22.8.1918: Registered at Hull (H730).
3.12.1818: Sold to Ernest Taylor, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager). Based Malta.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Grimsby.
4.1920: Sold to Arthur Jonckheere, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
3.5.1920: Hull registry closed.
7.5.1920: Registered at Fleetwood (FD373).
1925: Sold to Mrs Isabella Grant Skoyles, Pitfodell, Aberdeenshire (Harry A. Skoyles, manager).
23.1.1925: Fleetwood registry closed.
27.1.1925: Registered at Aberdeen (A77).
1926: Re-measured 242g 95n.
1926: Sold to Pesquera Vasco Gallega Soc. Ltda, Cadiz.
16.4.1926: Aberdeen registry closed.
1926: Registered at Vigo as AROSA.
1929: Sold to Archibald G. Brown, Granton (managing owner).
1930: Reverted to 254.87g 100.92n.
1930: Vigo registry closed. Registered at Granton as BILSDEAN (GN15).
28.2.1940: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.503) (Hire rate £70.11.8d/month).
1944: Sold to Miss Jemima Porter, Aberdeen (James Porter, manager).
1.11.1945: Returned to owner.
1.11.1945: Granton registry closed.
1.11.1945: Registered at Aberdeen (A605).
1960: Sold to J. Cameron, Peterhead (not in Register).
17.10.1960: Resold to Jacques Bakker & Zonen, Bruges for breaking up.
27.10.1960: Delivered Bruges.
3.11.1960: Aberdeen registry closed.
04/01/2009: Page published. 3 updates since then.