Tag Archives: Ashworth Morris & Taylor

S.T. Arabian FD325

Technical

Official Number: 110893
Yard Number: 205
Completed: 1899
Gross Tonnage: 180 (153)
Net Tonnage: 70n (46)
Length: 111.4 ft
Breadth: 20.8 ft
Depth: 11.3 ft
Built: J. Duthie, Sons & Co, Aberdeen
Engine: T.3-cyl by J. Cran & Co, Leith
Boiler: J. T. Eltringham & Co Ltd, South Shields

History

8.1899: Completed by J. Duthie, Sons & Co, Aberdeen (Yd.No.205) for The Great Grimsby Albion Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby (Richard Atkinson, manager) as ARABIAN.
3.8.1899: Registered at Grimsby (GY251).
10.7.1900: Arrived Grimsby Roads with steamer ATHENS (2313grt/1878), Tyne for Venice with coal in tow, picked up disabled with HP cylinder broken.
2.1.1905: Arrived Grimsby with barquentine AURORA (NI) in tow picked up in heavy weather disabled off the Humber with sails torn away and foremast and rigging carried away while on passage, London to Grangemouth with steel billets.
12.1914: Sold to Thomas Lauder, Aberdeen.
12.1914: Grimsby registry closed.
9.12.1914: Registered at Aberdeen (A209).
6.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1 – 3pdr) and later as a boom gate vessel (Ad.No.NI). Based Clyde boom.
16.12.1918: Sold to Noah Ashworth, Rowland Morris & Ernest Taylor, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
1919: Returned to owner at Aberdeen.
16.7.1919: Aberdeen registry closed.
18.7.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD325).
12.1919: Sold to Union des Pêcheries Maritimes S.A., Ostend, (R. Peltier, manager).
24.12.1919: Fleetwood registry closed.
1.1920: Registered at Ostend as MARIE (O191).
3.1929: Sold to Peter L. Hancock, Hakin. 26.4.1920: Registered at Milford as AVENTURE (M9).
10.5.1929: Sold to Cecil M. Lloyd, Milford Haven & Alan L. Hancock, Hakin.
4.11.1930: Sailed Milford for fishing grounds off Irish Coast (Sk. J. W. Cheney).
7.11.1930: Sustained damage to main engine while off Queenstown, Co. Cork. Requested assistance and DUNCAN McRAE (M68) connected and commenced tow to Milford.
8.11.1930: Delivered Milford.
4.3.1933: Sold to Reginald L. Hancock, Hakin.
1936: Demolition commenced at Hancock’s, Pembroke Dock.
19.6.1936: Milford registry closed.

Changelog
17/05/2012: Page published. 4 updates since then.
05/07/2019: Updated information.

S.T. Bull Dog FD328

Additional information courtesy of Mike Thompson
aka BULLDOG & BULL-DOG

Technical

Official Number: 99562
Yard Number: 82
Completed: 1892
Gross Tonnage: 148.15
Net Tonnage: 57
Length: 100 ft
Breadth: 20.1 ft
Depth: 10.6 ft
Engine: 270ihp C.2-cyl and boiler by Bailey & Leatham Ltd, Hull
Speed: 10 knots
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull

History

3.3.1892: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull (Yd.No.82) for The Humber Steam Trawling Co Ltd (64/64), Hull as BULL DOG.
26.3.1892: Registered at Hull (H192).
26.3.1892: Richard Simpson appointed manager.
26.3.1892: Trials.
29.3.1892: Completed as a beam trawler.
10.4.1893: Richard Henry Hobbs appointed manager.
1892/93: Fished beam trawl in South West waters landing into The Barbican, Sutton Harbour, Plymouth.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 61.80 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
28.7.1915: Sold to Walter Harold Beeley (64/64), Grimsby.
30.7.1915: Hull registry closed.
30.7.1915: Walter Harold Beeley designated managing owner.
4.8.1915: Registered at Grimsby (GY576).
16.8.1915: Walter Harold Beeley (4/64) shares sold to George Tilmouth (4/64), Grimsby.
30.8.1915: Walter Harold Beeley (4/64) shares sold to Percival Clark (4/64), Grimsby.
8.9.1915: Walter Harold Beeley (2/64) shares sold to Marion Elsie Mackrill (2/64), Grimsby.
5.1.1916: Percival Clark (4/64) shares sold to Walter Harold Beeley (58/64), Grimsby.
5.1.1917: Walter Harold Beeley (2/64) shares sold to Marion Elsie Mackrill (4/64), Grimsby.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
22.12.1917: Walter Harold Beeley (56/64) shares; George Tilmouth (4/64) shares and Marion Elsie Mackrill (4/64) shares sold to Noah Ashworth, Rowland Morris & Ernest Taylor (64/64 joint owners),
Fleetwood.
9.1.1918: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (A).
11.1.1918: Joseph Allen Taylor appointed manager.
1919: Released.
18.7.1919: Grimsby registry closed.
21.7.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD328).
6.1924: Mortgage (A) discharged.
18.6.1924: Sold for breaking up at Bowling.
27.6.1924: Fleetwood registry closed on advice from Manager.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Bull Dog FD328

S.T. Bull Dog FD328
Bull Dog (inboard of Banks o’ Dee)

Changelog
14/05/2012: Page published. 6 updates since then.
19/09/2016: Information updated.

S.T. Hero FD227

Technical
Additional information courtesy of Geoff Davidson
Official Number: 127403
Yard Number: 194
Completed: 1907
Gross Tonnage: 226
Net Tonnage: 85
Length: 120 ft
Breadth: 21.6 ft
Depth: 11.4 ft
Engine: 71HP T.3-cyl by W. V. V. Lidgerwood, Glasgow
Built: Dundee Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Dundee

History

10.1907: Launched by Dundee Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Dundee (Yd.No.194) for Mrs Ann Harries, Neyland (managing owner) as HERO.
11.1907: Completed.
21.11.1907: Registered at Milford (M218).
1911: Sold to Neyland Steam Steam Trawling & Fishing Co, Neyland. Alexander Scott, Llanstadwel designated manager.
8.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minelayer (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.156).
1917: Fitted out as a minesweeper. Based Dover.
31.1.1919: Sold to Noah Ashworth, Rowland Morris & Ernest Taylor, Fleetwood. Joseph A. Taylor designated manager.
12.3.1919: Waiting instructions whether required for Post-War Service (SS).
1919: Returned to owner.
16.7.1919: Milford registry closed.
18.7.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD227).
18.11.1919: Sold to The Clifton Steam Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood. Joseph A. Taylor designated manager.
1920: Returned after restoration and survey at Cowes.
1924: William W. Brierley designated manager.
23.2.1936: Sustained damage in collision in Wyre Channel with steam grab dredger ROSSALL (239grt/120) and steam trawler DINAS (FD63).
4.5.1939: At Fleetwood landed a sturgeon, 4ft 2inches long weighing 2 stone. Bought by Messrs Broughton & Co who had received an order for such a fish from the Royal Household. Despatched to London immediately to be put onboard the Empress of Australia (21,833grt/1913) to be served during their Majesties crossing of the Atlantic prior to the Royal Tour of Canada.
6.1940: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No. FY1866) and renamed HEROINE (Hire rate £56.10.0d/month).
4.1944: Fitted out for smoke making (Esso) trawler and assigned to Operation Neptune – Normandy landings.
9.6.1944: Sailed Solent for Mulberry B with Group B2 as part of Convoy ETC6. Employed smoke making.
3.7.1944: Operation Neptune ended.
27.11.1944: Returned and reverted to HERO (FD227).
3.10.1945: Sold to John Yolland Jnr & Others, Milford Haven.
14.3.1946: Sold to William D. Uglow & Samuel F. Uglow, Milford Haven. William D. Uglow & Co designated managers.
1951: Sold to William James (Milford Haven) Ltd, Milford Haven. Hubert S. Smith designated manager.
1952: Sold to Yolland Brothers Ltd, Milford Haven. J. Yolland designated manager.
3.1953: Fishing off the Irish Coast (Sk. Lenny Brown). Developed boiler trouble and tow requested. CLOUGHSTONE (H374) (Sk. Bert Horst) connected and commenced tow to Milford.
17.3.1953: Delivered Milford.
18.5.1953: Fishing off the Smalls (Sk. C. Shearing). At about 8.00 a.m. hauling in dense fog 30 miles West of the Smalls Lighthouse run down by steamer RIVERCREST (7008g/1944) on passage Liverpool-Casablanca, and foundered. Eleven crew *picked up from water by RIVERCREST but one man died +. Crew landed at Milford.

(* Sk. Charles Shearing; G. Stammer, Mate; G. Burder, Bosun; J. Owen, Third Hand; Chief Eng. A. Scales; 2nd Eng. R. Mallett; fireman J. Canavon; deckhands. G. Snelling & J. Harries; cook. R. Leckie.
+ fireman Arthur Thorne (65))

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Hero FD227

S.T. Hero FD227
Picture courtesy of John Stevenson

Changelog
24/01/2009: Page published. 3 updates since then.
13/07/2017: Removed Peter Brady image and updated information.

S.T. Cerealia FD165

Additional material courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 118944
Yard Number: 335
Completed: 1905
Gross Tonnage: 220
Net Tonnage: 92
Length: 122 ft
Breadth: 21.7 ft
Depth: 11.3 ft
Built: Cochrane & Sons, Selby
Engine: 450ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co, Hull

History

24.1.1905: Launched by Cochrane & Sons, Selby (Yd.No.335) for Grimsby Alliance Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby as CALABRIA.
2.1905: Completed.
27.2.1905: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to William Chesman, Grimsby for the sum of £3000 with interest at 5% (A).
28.2.1905: Frederick Barter Coulson appointed manager.
28.2.1905: Registered at Grimsby (GY50).
10.8.1908: Mortgage (A) discharged.
8.1908: Sold to Akties Fiskeriselskab Norden, Fredershavn.
20.8.1908: Grimsby registry closed. Renamed GUDRUN.
5.1910: Sold to Grimsby Alliance Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
1910: Remeasured on return to British flag – 115.05n
1.6.1910: Registered at Grimsby as CEREALIA (GY549).
1.6.1910: Frederick Barter Coulson appointed manager.
30.6.1910: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to William Chesman, Grimsby for the sum of £1700 with interest at 5% (A).
26.6.1911: George Thomas Mitchell appointed manager.
28.6.1913: Mortgage (A) transferred to Barclay & Co Ltd, London.
12.1914: Requisitioned for war service as an auxiliary patrol vessel (1-3pdr) (Ad.No.674).
22.1.1916: Mortgage (A) discharged. Based Egypt.
23.3.1918: Sold to Savoy Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
25.3.1918: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Rowland Hill (64/64), Grimsby for the sum of £5000 with interest at 6% (B).
27.3.1918: Henry Croft Baker & John Lawrance Green appointed managers.
4.6.1918: Mortgage (B) discharged.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Grimsby.
7.5.1919: Sold to Noah Ashworth, Rowland Morris & Ernest Taylor, Fleetwood (64/64) joint owners).
10.5.1919: Joseph Allen Taylor appointed manager.
12.5.1919: Grimsby registry closed.
15.5.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD165).
25.11.1920: Stranded on Jager Rock, Jura, Sound of Islay (Sk. Carrill). Subsequently declared a Total Loss.
6.12.1920: Fleetwood registry closed “Totally lost”.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Cerealia FD165

S.T. Cerealia FD165
Picture from the Internet

Cerealia Crew

Cerealia Crew
Picture courtesy of The Jeffrey Pullen Collection

Changelog
27/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
05/10/2015: Crew picture added.
05/09/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from images.
11/11/2019: Updated information.

S.T. Princess Melton FD326

Technical

Official Number: 114192
Yard Number: 226
Completed: 1901
Gross Tonnage: 224
Net Tonnage: 89
Length: 120.3 ft
Breadth: 22 ft
Depth: 11.8 ft
Engine: 3-cyl by J. S. Vaux & Co Ltd, Sunderland
Built: J. Duthie, Sons & Co, Aberdeen

History

15.6.1901: Launched by J. Duthie, Sons & Co, Aberdeen (Yd.No.226) for Aberdeen Icelandic Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen as PRINCESS MELTON.
9.9.1901: Registered at Aberdeen (A440).
9.1901: Completed (J. A. Gordon, manager).
1902: New boiler fitted.
9.1.1912: Sold to Thomas Lauder, Aberdeen (managing owner).
8.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.322).
5.11.1918: Sold to Ernest Taylor, Noah Ashworth & Rowland Morris, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager). Based Tyne.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
16.7.1919: Aberdeen registry closed.
20.7.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD326).
1921: Sold to Ernest Taylor, Thornton (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
26.2.1925: Sold to Alexander Jack, Glasgow.
26.2.1925: Sold to Bowden Ramster, Fleetwood (Alexander Keay, manager).
23.12.1925: Sold to Dalby Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Bowden Ramster, manager).
1932: Sold to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up at Preston.
12.10.1932: Fleetwood registry closed, advise received from owners “Ship broken up”.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Princess Melton FD326

S.T. Princess Melton FD326
Picture courtesy of The Fred Baker Collection

Changelog
17/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
18/06/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from image.