Official Number: 119127
Yard Number: 410
Gross Tonnage: 179
Net Tonnage: 66
Length: 110.2 ft
Breadth: 21.1 ft
Depth: 11.3 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Built: A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
13.4.1904: Launched by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.410) for John S. Boyle, Glasgow (managing owner) as THISTLE.
5.1904: Completed. Registered at Glasgow (GW2).
10.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a boom defence trawler (1-3pdr). Based Lerwick.
1918: Sold to Ernest Taylor, Noah Ashworth & Rowland Morris, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor manager).
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
7.1919: Glasgow registry closed.
16.7.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD226).
1.1920: Sold to Soc. Anon Pêcheries à Vapeur “Zeester”, Ostend (Auguste Brunet, manager).
21.1.1920: Fleetwood registry closed.
20.2.1920: Registered at Ostend as ROWLAND (O192).
1.10.1925: Placed on charter, towed, along with LISETTE-ADOLPHINE (O213) from Ostend to Fecamp by CONSY (LR2390).
1926: No owner recorded (Belgian).
1927(?): Sold to Union des Pêcheries Maritimes, Ostend.
16.3.1929: Union des Pêcheries Maritimes, Ostend in liquidation.
4.1929: Sold to Peter L. Hancock, Hakin.
4.1929: Ostend registry closed.
26.4.1929: Registered at Milford as RECENIA (M3).
28.5.1929: Sold to W. Llewellyn Hancock, Thomas Hughes & Elizabeth Hughes, Milford Haven.
4.3.1933: Sold to Reginald L. Hancock, Hakin.
1.4.1938: Sold to J. W. S. Barlow, Aberdeen (A. Buchan, manager).
1939: Sold to Parkholme Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes & Walter Holmes)(Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager).
26.1.1939: First landing at Fleetwood, 45 boxes grossed £89.
8.10.1941: Stranded on Barn Scar rocks between Ravenglass and Seascale, Cumberland in position 54°24.50N/03°32W. Subsequently declared a Total Loss.
16.6.1942: Milford registry closed. Reported to have been used by the Eskdale Gunnery Range as a target for training purposes. Some shell plates still visible.
08/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
Official Number: 105027
Yard Number: 94
Gross Tonnage: 145
Net Tonnage: 57
Length: 98 ft
Breadth: 20.5 ft
Depth: 11.2 ft
Engine: 45bhp T.3-cyl by Muir & Houston, Glasgow
Built: Mackie & Thompson Ltd, Govan, Glasgow
28.2.1895: Launched by Mackie & Thomson, Govan (Yd.No.94) for Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Hull as SARK.
14.3.1895: Registered at Hull (H272).
3.1895: Completed. Henry Toozes appointed manager.
1903: On hire and fishing out of Scarborough (Sk. Sid Smith).
1909: Hire completed returned to owners.
1909: Sold to Charles Finlay Paton, Glasgow.
9.6.1909: Hull registry closed.
6.1909: Registered at Glasgow (GW25). Charles Finlay Paton designated managing owner.
1912: Sold to Patons’ Trawlers Ltd, Glasgow. Charles Finlay Paton appointed manager.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 145grt 57net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
1916: Sold to Noah Ashworth, Rowland Morris & Ernest Taylor, Fleetwood. Ernest Taylor, Thornton designated managing owner.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve. Fishing from Aberdeen with local crew.
7.1919: Glasgow registry closed.
16.7.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD224).
1920: Fishing out of Aberdeen.
4.11.1920: Sailed Aberdeen for North of Scotland grounds (Sk. Harry Hake); ten crew all told.
14.11.1920: In heavy weather and westerly gale on Butt of Lewis grounds, became disabled with net and trawl warp round propeller, despite efforts could not free. Steam trawler DIANA (A148) responded to distress and with great difficulty connected and commenced tow to Loch Eriboll for shelter and to remove obstruction when weather improved.
15.11.1920: Anchored in the loch.
16.11.1920: Wind veered to NW increasing to severe gale and vessel started to drag and slowly drove towards the rocky shoreline on the east side of the loch. Nearby the DIANA was swept by heavy seas and lost her trawl overboard and was only able to keep off the shore by working her engine. As the SARK moved closer to the shore, Sk. Hake decided to abandon and crew took to the boat but after pulling away boat capsized throwing the crew in the water. All except the skipper and the fireman, Daniel McSweeney, landed on the shore. A search was made for the two men but to no avail. After resting the survivors started to walk across the moor in search of habitation and met a shepherd, John M’Kay who took them to his home, Heilam House, on the Eriboll Estate and gave them food and dry clothing.
18.11.1920: Second fisherman and others returned to vessel and found her high and dry in a cleft in the rocks, upright but with stern post broken and shell plating holed and torn away on port side. Salvage considered unlikely. Looked again along the shoreline for the two missing men.
22.11.1920: In the evening, eight surviving crew members arrived back in Aberdeen.
3.12.1920: Abandoned as a total loss. Wreck lies in position 58.51 04.39.
19.1.1921: Fleetwood registry closed “Vessel wrecked”.
Crew drowned: Both from Aberdeen. Sk. Harry Hake and fireman Daniel McSweeney. The bodies were never recovered.
Click to enlarge image
S.T. Sark H272
Picture courtesy of The George Westwood Collection
S.T. Sark FD224
Wreckage at Loch Eriboll
Picture from the Internet.
04/01/2009: Page published. 3 updates since then.
15/01/2016: Picture added.
17/01/2016: Added information.
21/08/2017: Removed FMHT watermark.
11/07/2020: Added an image and updated information.
Official Number: 122947
Yard Number: 802
Gross Tonnage: 271
Net Tonnage: 114
Length: 130.6 ft
Breadth: 22.1 ft
Depth: 12.2 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Shields Engineering Co Ltd, North Shields
Boiler: J. T. Eltringham & Co, South Shields
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields
4.9.1906: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.802) for The “Wyre” Steam Trawling Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood as MAUN.
19.10.1906: Registered at Fleetwood (FD81). Richard C. Ward & John N. Ward designated joint managers.
24.12.1906: Vessel mortgage (64/64) to Lancaster Banking Co Ltd, Lancaster for account at 5% interest (A).
24.2.1909: John N. Ward appointed manager.
8.4.1909: Mortgage (A) discharged.
22.4.1909: Vessel mortgage (64/64) to The Manchester & Liverpool District Banking Co Ltd, Manchester for account at 5% interest (B).
10.4.1912: Magnus B. J. Wedum appointed manager.
16.1.1914: Mortgaged (B) discharged.
27.1.1914: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The Manchester & Liverpool District Banking Co Ltd, Manchester (C).
8.1914: Requisitioned for war service. Commissioned at Fleetwood. as a minesweeper (1-6pdr) (Ad.No.122).
9.8.1914: Arrived Devonport for Special Trawler Reserve; when stored to sail for Lowestoft. Fitted with Hotchkiss Japanese 6pdr gun (No.154) and fitted out for minesweeping duties (Ad.No.122).
1914: Based Devonport with Unit 122 ‘Trawler ‘Sweepers‘.
1915: New boiler fitted.
29.6.1916: In strong SW wind, choppy sea and cloudy with rain patrolling in company with HM trawler BENTON CASTLE (Ad.No.1972) (SA1). When some 12 miles S of Eddystone sighted a boat awash containing two men. BENTON CASTLE lowered a boat and pulled towards the derelict but it was seen to capsize before they came alongside. One man picked up from the water but died almost immediately. Body landed at Plymouth. Boat salved and proved to be from the Guernsey registered cutter WATER LILY (38grt/1869).
13.12.1918: Mortgage (C) discharged.
10.1.1919: Sold to Noah Ashworth, Rowland Morris & Ernest Taylor (64/64 joint owners), Fleetwood. Joseph A. Taylor designated manager.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
31.12.1919: Sold to The Neva Steam Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood. Joseph A. Taylor designated manager).
1924: William W. Brierley designated manager.
1928: Sold to Erenst & Weimar, IJmuiden.
1928: Sold to N.V. Stoomviss Maats “En Avant”, IJmuiden.
18.8.1928: Fleetwood registry closed.
8.1928: Registered at IJmuiden as EN AVANT (IJM73). Erenst & Weimar designated managers.
1930: Sold to N. V. Vereenigde Exploitatie Maats, IJmuiden. Registered at IJmuiden as UTRECHT (IJM73).
Pre1935: Sold to Vereenigde Steenkolenhandel N.V., IJmuiden. W. H. Arends designated manager.
1939: Sold to N.V. Visscherij Maats Ver Steenkolenhandel XXXI, IJmuiden. De Vem N.V., designated managers.
1940s: Fishing from Fleetwood. Bloomfield’s Ltd, Fleetwood managing agents.
1948: Sold to N.V. Zeevisscherij Maats De Hoop, IJmuiden. Registered at IJmuiden as DD HOOP (IJM73).
1954: Sold for breaking up.
8.1914: Commissioned at Fleetwood. At Devonport. Fitted with Hotchkiss Japanese 6pdr gun (No.154) and fitted out for minesweeping duties (Ad.No.122). Based Devonport.
By 10.1916: Based Devonport – Unit No.121 ‘Trawler Sweepers’ (Sk. W.H. Sawyers RNR).
1919: Port for landing Stores, Armament and Moveable Fittings – Devonport. Port for Demobilising Personnel – Fleetwood.
1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
Click to enlarge image
S.T. De Hoop IJM73
Picture courtesy of JanH (ShipsNostalgia)
27/12/2008: Page published. 4 updates since then.
30/12/2016: Information updated.