Tag Archives: Neva ST Ltd

S.T. Wallena FD82

Technical

Official Number: 135998
Yard Number: 261a
Completed: 1914
Gross Tonnage: 225
Net Tonnage: 112
Length: 117 ft
Breadth: 22 ft
Depth: 12.7 ft
Engine: 66nhp T.3-cyl by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley

History

17.12.1913: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.261A) for Walter Olney (64/64), Fleetwood as WALLENA.
3.3.1914: Registered at Grimsby (GY12). Walter Olney designated managing owner.
3.1914: Completed.
20.3.1914: Vessel mortgaged (all 64 shares) to London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (A).
1.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-3pdr) (Ad.No.907).
2.10.1915: Mortgage (A) discharged.
4.10.1915: Sold to The Neva Steam Trawlers Ltd, Blackpool.
5.10.1915: Mortgaged to London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (B).
8.10.1915: Ernest Tomlinson appointed manager.
8.7.1917: Ernest Tomlinson & Joseph A. Taylor, appointed managers.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
5.3.1919: Grimsby registry closed.
10.3.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD82).
1924: Mortgage (B) discharged.
1924: Sold to James N. & Harold Bacon, Grimsby (William W. Brierley, manager).
28.11.1924: Fleetwood registry closed.
6.12.1924: Registered at Grimsby (GY132).
9.1930: Sold to Kottingham Trawling Co, Grimsby (James N. Bacon, manager).
27.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.832)(Hire rate £60.0.0d/month).
1942: Based Granton M/S Group 105.
1944: Sold to Parkholme Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Harvey Wilfred Wilson, Grimsby, manager).
4.1945: Fitted out for boom defence gate duties.
11.1945: Returned.
11.9.1946: Laid up in Grimsby.
1949: Sold to John R. Hepworth & Co Ltd, Paull for breaking up.
27.7.1949: Left Grimsby in tow for Paull.
9.1949: Grimsby registry closed.”

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Wallena FD82

S.T. Wallena FD82
Picture courtesy of Mark Stopper

HMT Wallena

HMT Wallena
Picture courtesy of The Imperial War Museum

S.T. Wallena Ship's Bell

S.T. Wallena Ship’s Bell
Picture courtesy of Michael Claridge

Changelog
08/01/2009: Page published. 2 updates since then.
12/01/2016: Picture added.
21/12/2016: Picture added.

S.T. Rononia FD88

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 134777
Yard Number: 271
Completed: 1913
Gross Tonnage: 213
Net Tonnage: 89
Length: 117.1 ft
Breadth: 21.5 ft
Depth: 12.1 ft
Engine: 430ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley

History

24.4.1913: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.271) for The Pelham Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby as RONONIA.
6.1913: Completed.
28.6.1913: Registered at Grimsby (GY865).
28.6.1913: Alick (Alec) Black appointed manager.
28.6.1913: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (A). Fishing from Fleetwood.
25.8.1913: Mortgage (A) discharged.
30.8.1913: Sold to Walter Olney (64/64), Fleetwood.
4.9.1913: Alick (Alec) Black, Grimsby appointed manager.
11.9.1913: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London.
6.1915: Requisitioned for war service as an armed trawler (1-6pdr) (Ad.No.1594).
2.10.1915: Mortgage (B) discharged.
4.10.1915: Sold to The Neva Steam Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood.
6.10.1915: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (C).
8.10.1915: Ernest Tomlinson appointed manager.
8.2.1917: Ernest Tomlinson & Joseph Allen Taylor appointed managers. Based Egypt.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
5.3.1919: Grimsby registry closed.
10.3.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD88).
11.1924: Mortgage (C) discharged.
27.11.1924: Sold to Harold Bacon (64/64), Grimsby.
29.11.1924: William Wallace Brierley, Fleetwood appointed manager.
28.11.1924: Fleetwood registry closed.
29.11.1924: Registered at Grimsby (GY134).
8.12.1924: Harold Bacon designated managing owner.
31.12.1929: Harold Bacon died intestate.
5.6.1930: Letters of Administration granted to Gertrude Catherine Bacon, Edwin Bacon Snr and Charles George Mastin, all Grimsby (64/64 – joint owners).
11.9.1930: James Norman Bacon appointed manager.
5.9.1930: Sold to Kottingham Trawling Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
14.3.1941: Charles George Mastin appointed manager.
6.3.1942: On Icelandic trip, at 11.06 pm torpedoed by U-boat (U.701), hit in boiler room, broke in two and foundered rapidly; all crew lost*.
13.7.1942: Grimsby registry closed “Ship missing since 5.3.1942”.

(* Lost – Sk. Henry S. Ford; Albert E. Miller, 2nd Hand; Ernest R. Stevens, Ch Eng; Allan B. Marland, 2nd Eng; Arthur F. Bland, William A. Pederson, John F. Kemp, William G. Witts, Deckhands; H.enry Swanson, Arthur S. Westerman, Trimmers and William G. Camber, Cook.)

S.T. Philip Godby FD405

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow and Milford Trawlers

Technical

Admiralty Number: 3783
Official Number: 143785
Yard Number: 404
Completed: 1919
Gross Tonnage: 209
Net Tonnage: 126
Length: 125.6 ft
Breadth: 23.6 ft
Depth: 12.7 ft
Engine: 550ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley
Speed: 10.5 knots

History

24.9.1918: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.404) (“Castle” class) for The Admiralty as PHILIP GODBY (Ad.No.3783).
1919: Sold to Henry Smethurst (64/64), Grimsby
6.5.1919: Completed.
15.5.1919: Registered at Grimsby (GY309).
9.5.1919: John Wintringham Smethurst appointed manager.
2.7.1919: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to the London Joint City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (A).
9.2.1920: Mortgage (A) discharged.
9.2.1920: Sold to The Derby Steam Trawling Co Ltd (64/64), Bootle, Liverpool.
12.5.1920: Charles W. Pickering, Fleetwood appointed manager.
6.3.1920: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to London County, Westminster & Parr’s Bank Ltd (B).
18.10.1921: Mortgage (B) discharged.
24.10.1921: The Derby Steam Trawling Co Ltd in liquidation sold to Harry Pennington & Thomas George McKay, Bootle (joint owners).
26.10.1921: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to London Joint City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (C).
4.11.1921: Jules Nierinck appointed manager.
17.12.1921: Mortgage (C) discharged.
19.12.1921: Sold to The Godby Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood.
21.12.1921; Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The London Joint City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (D).
5.1.1922: Jules Nierinck appointed manager. 25.3.1922: Grimsby registry closed.
29.3.1922: Registered at Fleetwood (FD405).
17.9.1924: At Oban (Sk. W. Hargreaves) picked up doctor and landed him at St. Kilda to treat pneumonia outbreak.
11.12.1924: Sold to Neva Steam Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (William W. Brierley, manager).
10.2.1925: Registered at Fleetwood as CISNELL (FD405).
3.1928: Sold to Thomas Jenkerson, Milford Haven (Jenkerson & Jones Ltd).
6.3.1928: Fleetwood registry closed.
7.3.1928: Registered at London (LO122).
29.3.1928: Registered at London as TOGIMO (LO122).
1938: Sold to Jenkerson & Jones Ltd, Milford Haven (Thomas Jenkerson, manager).
2.9.1939: Requisitioned for war service and appointed for minesweeping duties (Hire rate £90.12.6d/month).
13.11.1939: Returned to owner.
1.3.1940: Sailed Milford for fishing grounds (Sk. James Gale DSC); twelve crew.
11.2.1940: Off West coast of Ireland about 70 miles from the Fastnet, at 4.00 a.m. hauled and owing to damage prepared to change gear from one side of the ship to the other. At 5.00 a.m. ready to shoot trawl, shelled by U-boat (U.37), doused lights and tried to escape, but hit in chart room and ablaze. Crew abandoned in boat and trawler sunk by gunfire in approx position 50°40N/11°02W, one crewman killed (James Price (18), Co. Kildare, fireman). Boat in way of shell fall and Ch.Eng injured.
12.2.1940: After twenty-eight hours in the boat and with three badly injured men, all eleven picked up by Spanish steamer MONTE NAVAJO (5754grt/1920).
13.2.1940: Landed at Queenstown, Co.Cork.
17.2.1940: Crew returned to Milford.
1.3.1940: London registry closed “Sunk by enemy action”.

(Philip Godby , AB, age 43, b. Cricklade, Wiltshire – VICTORY (SB939))

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Philip Godby LO122

S.T. Philip Godby LO122
Picture courtesy of The Peter Green Collection

Changelog
03/01/2009: Page published. 8 updates since then.
09/07/2017: Image added.

S.T. Maun FD81

Technical

Official Number: 122947
Yard Number: 802
Completed 1906
Gross Tonnage: 271
Net Tonnage: 114
Length: 130.6 ft
Breadth: 22.1 ft
Depth: 12.2 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Shields Engineering Co Ltd, North Shields
Boiler: J. T. Eltringham & Co, South Shields
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields

History

4.9.1906: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.802) for The “Wyre” Steam Trawling Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood as MAUN.
19.10.1906: Registered at Fleetwood (FD81). Richard C. Ward & John N. Ward designated joint managers.
10.1906: Completed.
24.12.1906: Vessel mortgage (64/64) to Lancaster Banking Co Ltd, Lancaster for account at 5% interest (A).
24.2.1909: John N. Ward appointed manager.
8.4.1909: Mortgage (A) discharged.
22.4.1909: Vessel mortgage (64/64) to The Manchester & Liverpool District Banking Co Ltd, Manchester for account at 5% interest (B).
10.4.1912: Magnus B. J. Wedum appointed manager.
16.1.1914: Mortgaged (B) discharged.
27.1.1914: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The Manchester & Liverpool District Banking Co Ltd, Manchester (C).
8.1914: Requisitioned for war service. Commissioned at Fleetwood. as a minesweeper (1-6pdr) (Ad.No.122).
9.8.1914: Arrived Devonport for Special Trawler Reserve; when stored to sail for Lowestoft. Fitted with Hotchkiss Japanese 6pdr gun (No.154) and fitted out for minesweeping duties (Ad.No.122).
1914: Based Devonport with Unit 122 ‘Trawler ‘Sweepers‘.
1915: New boiler fitted.
29.6.1916: In strong SW wind, choppy sea and cloudy with rain patrolling in company with HM trawler BENTON CASTLE (Ad.No.1972) (SA1). When some 12 miles S of Eddystone sighted a boat awash containing two men. BENTON CASTLE lowered a boat and pulled towards the derelict but it was seen to capsize before they came alongside. One man picked up from the water but died almost immediately. Body landed at Plymouth. Boat salved and proved to be from the Guernsey registered cutter WATER LILY (38grt/1869).
13.12.1918: Mortgage (C) discharged.
10.1.1919: Sold to Noah Ashworth, Rowland Morris & Ernest Taylor (64/64 joint owners), Fleetwood. Joseph A. Taylor designated manager.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
31.12.1919: Sold to The Neva Steam Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood. Joseph A. Taylor designated manager).
1924: William W. Brierley designated manager.
1928: Sold to Erenst & Weimar, IJmuiden.
1928: Sold to N.V. Stoomviss Maats “En Avant”, IJmuiden.
18.8.1928: Fleetwood registry closed.
8.1928: Registered at IJmuiden as EN AVANT (IJM73). Erenst & Weimar designated managers.
1930: Sold to N. V. Vereenigde Exploitatie Maats, IJmuiden. Registered at IJmuiden as UTRECHT (IJM73).
Pre1935: Sold to Vereenigde Steenkolenhandel N.V., IJmuiden. W. H. Arends designated manager.
1939: Sold to N.V. Visscherij Maats Ver Steenkolenhandel XXXI, IJmuiden. De Vem N.V., designated managers.
1940s: Fishing from Fleetwood. Bloomfield’s Ltd, Fleetwood managing agents.
1948: Sold to N.V. Zeevisscherij Maats De Hoop, IJmuiden. Registered at IJmuiden as DD HOOP (IJM73).
1954: Sold for breaking up.

Annex A

8.1914: Commissioned at Fleetwood. At Devonport. Fitted with Hotchkiss Japanese 6pdr gun (No.154) and fitted out for minesweeping duties (Ad.No.122). Based Devonport.
By 10.1916: Based Devonport – Unit No.121 ‘Trawler Sweepers’ (Sk. W.H. Sawyers RNR).
1919: Port for landing Stores, Armament and Moveable Fittings – Devonport. Port for Demobilising Personnel – Fleetwood.
1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. De Hoop IJM73

S.T. De Hoop IJM73
Picture courtesy of JanH (ShipsNostalgia)

Changelog
27/12/2008: Page published. 4 updates since then.
30/12/2016: Information updated.