Tag Archives: Walter M Olney

S.T. Gelsina (2) GY869

Additional material courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 138946
Yard Number: 327
Completed: 1916
Gross Tonnage: 226
Net Tonnage: 102
Length: 117.0 ft
Breadth: 22.0 ft
Depth: 12.7 ft
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley
Engine: 450ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull

History

12.10.1915: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.327) for Walter Olney (64/64), Fleetwood.
7.2.1916: Registered at Grimsby (GY869).
7.2.1916: Alick Black, Grimsby appointed manager.
18.2.1916: Completed.
2.1916: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-3pdr HA) (Ad.No.3258).
25.6.1917: Mined off Girdle Ness and foundered in position 57.07N 01.58W. Mine laid by U.boat (UC40). Four men lost.
16.4.1919: Grimsby registry closed “Ship lost on Admiralty service”

(Lost – Peter Brown, 2nd Hand, John D. Meldrum & Henry Neslen, Deckhands, George S. Buchan & Alexander H. Clark, Trimmers, all RNR)

Changelog
04/12/2013: Page published. 2 updates since then.

S.T. Rachael FD2

Additional information courtesy of Milford Trawlers and Gordon Sinclair

Technical

Official Number: 141965
Yard Number: 439
Completed: 1912
Gross Tonnage: 216
Net Tonnage: 96
Length: 115.9 ft
Breadth: 21.6 ft
Depth: 11.8 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by W. V. V. Lidgerwood, Coatbridge
Built: Mackie & Thomson, Govan, Glasgow

History

19.12.1912: Launched by Mackie & Thomson, Govan, Glasgow (Yd.No.439) for Soc. Anon Pecheries d’Islande, Ostend as KONING ALBERT.
1912: Completed. Registered at Ostend (O25). J. Baels designated manager.
14.9.1914-16.12.1919: Landing at Milford (Belgian crew).
1.1924: Sold to Walter M. Olney, Cleveleys.
1.1924: Ostend registry closed.
15.1.1924: Registered at Fleetwood (Part I & Part IV) as RACHAEL O.N.141965 (FD2). Walter M. Olney designated managing owner.
17.1.1924: Sold to Reliance Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood. Walter M. Olney designated manager.
25.8.1924: While alongside at Milford Haven, fireman William Frederick Sinclair, 33 Wildman St, Blackpool, fell into the dock and was drowned.
5.5.1935: At about 2.00 am when fishing 15 miles off Rockabill Lighthouse run down by Dublin registered steam coaster SAINT FINTAN (495grt/1921) sustaining damage starboard side aft and losing fishing gear.
1937: Sold to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up at Preston.
26.11.1937: Fleetwood registry closed “Broken up”.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Rachael FD2

S.T. Rachael FD2

S.T. Rachael FD2

S.T. Rachael FD2
Picture from the Internet

S.T. Rachel FD2

S.T. Rachel FD2
Waiting scrapping at Preston 1937

S.T. Dania FD22

Rachael (background) Redwing (foreground)
Hercules (alongside)
Dania (outboard)
Picture courtesy of Bill Blow

Changelog
24/01/2009: Page published.
12/06/2014: Information updated.
25/12/2014: Picture added.
29/01/2016: Picture added.
02/11/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.
30/12/2017: Added an image.
04/03/2018: Added information.

S.T. Wallena FD82

Technical

Official Number: 135998
Yard Number: 261a
Completed: 1914
Gross Tonnage: 225
Net Tonnage: 112
Length: 117 ft
Breadth: 22 ft
Depth: 12.7 ft
Engine: 66nhp T.3-cyl by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley

History

17.12.1913: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.261A) for Walter Olney (64/64), Fleetwood as WALLENA.
3.3.1914: Registered at Grimsby (GY12). Walter Olney designated managing owner.
3.1914: Completed.
20.3.1914: Vessel mortgaged (all 64 shares) to London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (A).
1.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-3pdr) (Ad.No.907).
2.10.1915: Mortgage (A) discharged.
4.10.1915: Sold to The Neva Steam Trawlers Ltd, Blackpool.
5.10.1915: Mortgaged to London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (B).
8.10.1915: Ernest Tomlinson appointed manager.
8.7.1917: Ernest Tomlinson & Joseph A. Taylor, appointed managers.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
5.3.1919: Grimsby registry closed.
10.3.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD82).
1924: Mortgage (B) discharged.
1924: Sold to James N. & Harold Bacon, Grimsby (William W. Brierley, manager).
28.11.1924: Fleetwood registry closed.
6.12.1924: Registered at Grimsby (GY132).
9.1930: Sold to Kottingham Trawling Co, Grimsby (James N. Bacon, manager).
27.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.832)(Hire rate £60.0.0d/month).
1942: Based Granton M/S Group 105.
1944: Sold to Parkholme Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Harvey Wilfred Wilson, Grimsby, manager).
4.1945: Fitted out for boom defence gate duties.
11.1945: Returned.
11.9.1946: Laid up in Grimsby.
1949: Sold to John R. Hepworth & Co Ltd, Paull for breaking up.
27.7.1949: Left Grimsby in tow for Paull.
9.1949: Grimsby registry closed.”

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Wallena FD82

S.T. Wallena FD82
Picture courtesy of Mark Stopper

HMT Wallena

HMT Wallena
Picture courtesy of The Imperial War Museum

S.T. Wallena Ship's Bell

S.T. Wallena Ship’s Bell
Picture courtesy of Michael Claridge

Changelog
08/01/2009: Page published. 2 updates since then.
12/01/2016: Picture added.
21/12/2016: Picture added.

S.T. Rononia FD88

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 134777
Yard Number: 271
Completed: 1913
Gross Tonnage: 213
Net Tonnage: 89
Length: 117.1 ft
Breadth: 21.5 ft
Depth: 12.1 ft
Engine: 430ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley

History

24.4.1913: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.271) for The Pelham Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby as RONONIA.
6.1913: Completed.
28.6.1913: Registered at Grimsby (GY865).
28.6.1913: Alick (Alec) Black appointed manager.
28.6.1913: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (A). Fishing from Fleetwood.
25.8.1913: Mortgage (A) discharged.
30.8.1913: Sold to Walter Olney (64/64), Fleetwood.
4.9.1913: Alick (Alec) Black, Grimsby appointed manager.
11.9.1913: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London.
6.1915: Requisitioned for war service as an armed trawler (1-6pdr) (Ad.No.1594).
2.10.1915: Mortgage (B) discharged.
4.10.1915: Sold to The Neva Steam Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood.
6.10.1915: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (C).
8.10.1915: Ernest Tomlinson appointed manager.
8.2.1917: Ernest Tomlinson & Joseph Allen Taylor appointed managers. Based Egypt.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
5.3.1919: Grimsby registry closed.
10.3.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD88).
11.1924: Mortgage (C) discharged.
27.11.1924: Sold to Harold Bacon (64/64), Grimsby.
29.11.1924: William Wallace Brierley, Fleetwood appointed manager.
28.11.1924: Fleetwood registry closed.
29.11.1924: Registered at Grimsby (GY134).
8.12.1924: Harold Bacon designated managing owner.
31.12.1929: Harold Bacon died intestate.
5.6.1930: Letters of Administration granted to Gertrude Catherine Bacon, Edwin Bacon Snr and Charles George Mastin, all Grimsby (64/64 – joint owners).
11.9.1930: James Norman Bacon appointed manager.
5.9.1930: Sold to Kottingham Trawling Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
14.3.1941: Charles George Mastin appointed manager.
6.3.1942: On Icelandic trip, at 11.06 pm torpedoed by U-boat (U.701), hit in boiler room, broke in two and foundered rapidly; all crew lost*.
13.7.1942: Grimsby registry closed “Ship missing since 5.3.1942”.

(* Lost – Sk. Henry S. Ford; Albert E. Miller, 2nd Hand; Ernest R. Stevens, Ch Eng; Allan B. Marland, 2nd Eng; Arthur F. Bland, William A. Pederson, John F. Kemp, William G. Witts, Deckhands; H.enry Swanson, Arthur S. Westerman, Trimmers and William G. Camber, Cook.)

S.T. Kingfisher FD103

Additional information courtesy of David Slinger Andy Hall and Birgir Þórisson

Technical

Official Number: 106832
Yard Number: 437
Completed: 1897
Gross Tonnage: 137.88
Net Tonnage: 38.84
Length: 95.8 ft
Breadth: 20.4 ft
Depth: 10.8 ft
Built: Sir Raylton Dixon & Co Ltd, Middlesbrough
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by N.E. Marine Engineering Co Ltd, Sunderland

History

5.12.1896: Launched by Sir Raylton Dixon & Co Ltd, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.437) for The Mersey Trawlers Ltd, Liverpool as KINGFISHER.
1.1897: Completed.
1.1897: Registered at Liverpool (LL334) (1/97). Owen Ellis designated manager.
28.05.1899: Stopped by Scottish Fishery Board’s cruiser VIGILANT after attempting to escape when observed trawling off Aisa Craig in the Firth of Clyde prohibited limits. Escorted to Campbeltown.
By 1903: Sold to Pratt, Ellis & Co, Liverpool. Owen Ellis & George J. Pratt designated managing owners.
2.1907: Sold to Fylde Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood.
2.1907: Liverpool registry closed.
12.2.1907: Registered at Fleetwood (FD103). George W Stennett designated manager.
12.2.1907: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (A).
4.1.1909: Harry Melling designated manager.
6.1909: Fylde Steam Fishing Co Ltd in liquidation.
20.6.1909: Mortgage (A) discharged.
22.6.1909: Sold to Walter Olney, Grimsby. Walter Olney designated managing owner.
7.1909: Slipped at Fleetwood. Renamed DORTHEA – no port of registry.
7.1909: Sold to Christian Evensen, Thorshaven, Faroe Islands (Evensen & Black).
17.7.1909: Fleetwood registry closed.
7.1909: Registered at Thorshavn as DORTHEA. Continued fishing out of Fleetwood. Alick Black, Fleetwood designated manager.
1.1910: On a trip to West of Scotland grounds (Sk. Christopher Bird); ten Faroese crew.
16.1.1910: Returning to Fleetwood in heavy weather stranded on the south end of Walney Island. Barrow lifeboat Thomas Fielden (Cox Herbert Raby) attended but with wind gusting 50mph rescue was difficult and crew had to be taken off one by one. On completion landed survivors at Barrow. Refloated and towed to Fleetwood by Barrow tug WALNEY (204grt/1904).
1910: Sold to Walter M. Olney, Thornton.
1910: Thorshaven registry closed.
2.6.1910: Registered at Fleetwood as LINCOLNIA (FD118) (BoT Minute 1096/1910). Alick Black, Fleetwood designated manager.
30.3.1911: In Wyre Dock had fire in forecastle after paraffin stove overturned. Extinguished by Dock fire brigade.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 52.29net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
23.2.1914: In Lune Deeps, inwards for Fleetwood, in collision with steam trawler PHRONTIS (FD142) and badly damaged.
14.4.1914: Between Fleetwood and Holyhead suffered boiler problems, hoisted signals of distress and sighted by steam trawler LIZZIE (FD158) which closed and having been made aware of the problem, connected and commenced tow to Fleetwood.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fisheries Reserve.
1919: Released (Sir Alec Black, Bart, Fleetwood, manager).
1925: Sold to Sydney Jacobs, London (Rowland Morris, Fleetwood, manager).
1926: Sold to Lincolnia Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood. Rowland Morris designated manager.
1927: Sold to Reginald L. Hancock, Hakin. Reginald L. Hancock designated managing owner.
21.8.1927: Fishing Small’s ground 5 miles NNE of St. Ann’s Head (Sk. Thomas W. Jones), disabled with machinery defect. Steam drifter/trawler CYCLAMEN (LT1136) fishing nearby connected and towed to Milford arriving same day.
1928: Sold to Vincent T. Taylor, Chippenham (Reginald L. Hancock & H.E. Rees, Milford, managers).
8.11.1928: Registered at Milford (M214).
9.11.1928: Fleetwood registry closed.
19.4.1929: Sailed Milford for grounds off the Smalls (Sk. William E. Johnson).
20.4.1929: Fishing 3 miles NW by W of Connibeg light ship, in Force 6, disabled with fractured tail shaft. Steam trawler CORVUS (M2) in vicinity connected and proceeded to tow to Milford.
21.4.1929: Arrived Milford. Corvus owners and crew claimed against owners and crew and settled for the sum of £308.3.0d plus £28 settlement fee.
3.1934: Sold for breaking up and broken up at Hancock’s Yard, Pembroke Dock.
11.10.1934: Milford registry closed, breaking up completed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Lincolnia FD118

S.T. Lincolnia FD118
Permission to post requested from The Keith Webster Collection

S.T. Dorothea aground

S.T. Dorothea aground
Picture courtesy of Guy Charnley

S.T. Lincolnia  FD118

S.T. Lincolnia FD118
Picture courtesy of David Slinger

Changelog
24/12/2008: Page published. 3 revisions since then.
27/11/2014: Picture added and information updated.
29/11/2014: Picture added.
04/02/2016: Minor information update.
21/05/2017: Added image and removed FMHT watermarks.
19/02/2018: Information updated.