Tag Archives: Ashworth & Taylor

S.T. Crater FD330

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 106669
Yard Number: 117
Completed: 1896
Gross Tonnage: 132
Net Tonnage: 45
Length: 99.2 ft
Breadth: 20.0 ft
Depth: 10.3 ft
Engine: 250ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Muir & Houston Ltd, Glasgow
Built: Mackie & Thomson, Govan

History

19.9.1896: Launched by Mackie & Thomson, Govan (Yd. No.117) for The Grimsby North Sea Steam Trawling Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby as CRATER.
10.1896: Completed.
27.10.1896: John Richardson Mackrill appointed manager.
27.10.1896: Registered at Grimsby (GY111).
14.11.1916: Sold to Ernest Taylor (64/64), Thornton.
14.11.1916: Ernest Taylor, Thornton appointed manager.
28.11.1916: Sold to Noah Ashworth, Fleetwood & Ernest Taylor, Thornton (joint owners).
30.12.1916: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London(A).
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
1919: Released.
18.7.1919: Grimsby registry closed.
20.7.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD330).
1923: Sold to Joseph D. Irvin, North Shields (managing owner).
28.11.1923: Fleetwood registry closed.
29.11.1923: Registered at North Shields (SN135).
2.2.1926: Returning to Shields (Sk. A. Annan), struck submerged object 6.5 miles east of Souter Lighthouse and foundered; crew saved.
2.6.1926: North Shields registry closed.

NOTE : she was returning to Tyneside after a fishing trip when she struck an unidentified submerged object, believed to be wreckage, and sank some 6.5 miles to the east of Souter lighthouse.
The wreck, which has yet to be positively identified, lies on hard sand and shale in a spoil ground area at a depth of 54m, the lowest astronomical depth. The wreck is intact except for damage to the quarter deck and forecastle structures which have collapsed.

Changelog
17/05/2012: Page published. 7 updates since then.

S.T. Aracari FD218

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 127824
Yard Number: 159
Completed: 1908
Gross Tonnage:245
Net Tonnage: 113
Length: 120.5 ft
Breadth: 22 ft
Depth: 11.5 feet
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley
Engine: 450ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Speed 10.5 knots

History

7.11.1907: Launched (having been laid down as SEAGULL) by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.159) for Cleethorpes Steam Trawling Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby as ARACARI.
31.1.1908: Registered at Grimsby (GY355).
6.2.1908: Completed.
6.2.1908: Richard Shute appointed manager.
25.2.1908: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The York City & County Banking Co Ltd, York (A).
9.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr, 1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.514).
9.2.1915: Mortgage (A) transferred to The London Joint Stock Bank Ltd, London.
27.4.1915: William Hill appointed manager.
23.11.1915: Mortgage (A) discharged. Based at Granton.
28.6.1916: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to London Joint Stock Bank Ltd, London (B)
2.4.1917: LORD SCARBOROUGH (GY393) sunk by submarine 130 miles E of May Island.
4.4.1917: Picked up crew and landed at Granton.
20.4.1917: Steamer BALLOCHBUIE (921grt/05) on passage Aberdeen-Sunderland, light, torpedoed by submarine (UC41) 7 miles E of May Island; three crew lost.
22.4.1917: Picked up BALLOCHBUIE lifeboat 20 miles SE of May Island.
1917: William Hill appointed manager.
13.4.1918: Mortgage (B) discharged.
16.4.1918: Sold to Walter Harold Beeley (64/64), Grimsby. Walter Harold Beeley designated managing owner.
18.4.1918: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to National Provincial & Union Bank of England Ltd, London (C).
4.5.1918: Mortgage (C) discharged.
14.5.1918: Sold to Ernest Taylor & Noah Ashworth, Fleetwood (64/64 joint owners).
16.5.1918: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (D).
21.5.1918: Joseph Allen Taylor appointed manager.
1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
18.6.1919: Mortgage (D) discharged.
20.6.1919: Sold to The Talbot Steam Trawling Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood.
7.7.1919: Joseph Allen Taylor appointed manager.
7.7.1919: Grimsby registry closed.
10.7.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD218).
1924: William W. Brierley appointed manager.
10.1925: Sold to Richard Watson Lewis (64/64), Aberdeen. Richard Watson Lewis designated managing owner.
19.10.1925: Fleetwood registry closed.
10.11.1925: Registered at Aberdeen (A155).
3.11.1930: Sold to Stanley A. Laycock, Hakin (David Pettit, manager).
3.11.1930: Aberdeen registry closed.
10.11.1930: Registered at Milford (M101).
8.6.1931: Sold to Mrs Margaret Laycock, Hakin & Hugh S. K. Wilson, Milford Haven (Pettit & Youds Ltd, manager).
27.7.1934: Sold to Mrs Margaret Laycock, Hakin (Pettit & Youds Ltd, manager).
5.10.1937: Sold to Pettit & Youds, Milford Haven (Joseph S. Pettit & Frank L. Youds) (Frank L. Youds, manager).
7.4.1938: Broke down on the Western grounds (Sk. W. Parry), towed back to Milford by CALDY (M198) (Sk. J. Binham).
26.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service appointed for minesweeping duties.
1940: Returned.
16.3.1943: Requisitioned for war service and fitted out as a water boat (P.No.Y7.2) (Hire rate £61.5.0d/month). Employed on miscellaneous Naval duties.
13.10.1943: Grounded on Filicudi Island, north of Sicily; declared a total loss.
9.9.1944: Milford registry closed.

Changelog
15/05/2012: Page published. 7 updates since then.
06/07/2019: Information updated.

S.T. Gilderoy FD332

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 110872
Yard Number: 81
Completed: 1899
Gross Tonnage: 153.08
Net Tonnage: 44.31
Length: 101.0 ft
Breadth: 20.5 ft
Depth: 10.7 ft
Built: Wood, Skinner & Co Ltd, Bill Quay-on-Tyne, Newcastle
Engine: 300ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by N.E. Marine Engineering Co Ltd, Sunderland

History

10.2.1899: Launched by Wood, Skinner & Co Ltd, Bill Quay-on-Tyne, Newcastle (Yd.No.81) for Ellis, Spence & Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby as GILDEROY.
2.3.1899: Going up River Tyne in NW gale went ashore at Bill Point. Refloated, no damage.
3.1899: Completed.
23.3.1899: Registered at Grimsby (GY1120).
23.3.1899: William Ellis appointed manager.
27.3.1899: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Lincoln & Lindsey Banking Company Ltd, Lincoln (A).
19??: Rebuilt 114.5 x 24.2 x 10.7 feet 143g 50n.
12.4.1904: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to John Ellis, Grimsby for the sum of £500 with interest at 5% (B).
10.5.1912: Mortgage (B) discharged.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 61.07net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
7.5.1914: Escorted into Cuxhaven by German fishery protection ship SMS ZIETEN (1170 tonnes disp/1875) for alleged fishing in German territorial waters.
16.10.1914: Sold by order of the mortgagee under mortgage (A) to William Ellis (64/64), Grimsby.
16.10.1914: William Ellis appointed manager.
16.10.1914: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (C).
12.6.1916: Mortgage (C) discharged.
19.6.1916: Sold to Aldersyde Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
19.6.1916: Edwin Beacock appointed manager.
19.6.1916: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The National Provincial Bank of England Ltd, London (D).
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
8.4.1918: Mortgagee re-styled National Provincial & Union Bank of England Ltd, London.
30.9.1918: Sold to Ernest Taylor & Noah Ashworth, Fleetwood (64/64 joint owners).
4.10.1918: Mortgage (D) discharged.
4.10.1918: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The London Joint City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (E).
5.10.1918: Joseph Allen Taylor appointed manager.
1919: Released.
18.7.1919: Grimsby registry closed.
20.7.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD332).
11.1919: Mortgage (E) discharged.
1919: Sold to N.V. Maasluische Stoom-Haring & Beugvissch, Maasluis (Belgian principals – sale BoT approved).
19.11.1919: Fleetwood registry closed.
11.1919: Renamed BURGOMEESTER MAX.
FATE post 1925 pre 1926.

Changelog
21/12/2008: Page published. 4 updates since then.
01/09/2015: Information updated.
22/06/2016: Minor information update.

S.T. Eastbourne FD331

Additional material courtesy of Bill Blow.

Technical

Official Number: 106684
Yard Number: 125
Completed: 1896
Gross Tonnage: 163
Net Tonnage: 63
Length: 104.2 ft
Breadth: 20.5 ft
Depth: 10.7 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl (250IHP) and boiler by Muir & Houston Ltd, Glasgow
Built: by Mackie & Thomson, Govan, Glasgow

History

2.11.1896: Launched by Mackie & Thomson, Govan, Glasgow (Yd.No.125) for Hagerup, Doughty & Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby as EASTBOURNE.
11.1896: Completed
2.12.1896: Registered at Grimsby (GY155).
21.12.1896: Fred Hagerup appointed manager.
21.12.1896: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The Law Guarantee Trust & Accident Society Ltd, London for account current and interest (A).
24.6.1898: Mortgaged to The Law Guarantee Trust & Accident Society Ltd, London on account current with interest at 5% (B).
8.10.1903: When some 3 miles ENE of Spurn Light Vessel in calm conditions, in collision with steam trawler REX (GY394) which subsequently foundered. All nine crew picked up. 1.3.1906: Sold to Consolidated Steam Fishing & Ice Co (Grimsby) Ltd, Grimsby (John D. Marsden, manager) on formation of the company.
2.3.1906: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The Law Guarantee Trust & Accident Society Ltd, London on account current with interest at 41/2% (C).
9.3.1906: John D. Marsden appointed manager.
1910: The Law Guarantee Trust & Accident Society Ltd, London in liquidation following takeover by Ocean Accident & Guarantee Corporation Ltd, London which in turn was taken over by Commercial Union Assurance Co Ltd, London.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 68.90 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
11.8.1915: Mortgages (A) & (B) discharged.
20.2.1916: Mortgage (C) discharged.
5.12.1916: Sold to Edward Walmsley, Preston & Ernest Taylor, Fleetwood (Joint owners 64/64).
6.12.1916: Ernest Taylor appointed manager.
29.12.1916: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London for account current with interest(D).
21.8.1918: Mortgage (D) discharged.
2.9.1918: Sold to Ernest Taylor & Noah Ashworth, Fleetwood (Joint owners 64/64).
9.9.1918: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London for account current and interest (E).
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
11.9.1918: Joseph A. Taylor appointed manager.
1919: Released.
18.7.1919: Grimsby registry closed.
20.7.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD331).
23.6.1924: Sold to Harold E. Moran, Brixham (managing owner).
8.12.1935: Sold to John Chant, Plymstock, Marmaduke Chant & Thomas C. Foster, Plymouth (John Chant managing owner).
14.5.1936: Sold to Plymouth Trawlers Ltd, Plymouth (John Chant, Plymstock, manager).
24.5.1937: Fleetwood registry closed on advise received from owners “Sale of vessel to foreigners (Dutch subjects) for breaking up”.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Eastbourne FD331

S.T. Eastbourne FD331
Picture from the Internet

S.T. Eastbourne FD331

S.T. Eastbourne FD331
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
19/12/2008: Page published. 7 updates since then.
19/06/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks and repaired broken image links.