Official Number: 113070
Yard Number: 336
Gross Tonnage: 159
Net Tonnage: 61
Length: 103.3 ft
Breadth: 20.6 ft
Depth: 11.3 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Built: Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
26.6.1900: Launched by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.336) for The Irvin Steam Fishing Co Ltd, North Shields as PRETORIA.
25.7.1900: Registered at North Shields.(SN245).
7.1900: Completed (Richard Irvin, manager).
1908: Sold to Richard Irvin & Sons Ltd, North Shields (Richard Irvin, North Shields & John H. Irvin, Aberdeen, managers).
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve. Armed.
7.7.1917: Sold to Ernest Taylor, Fleetwood (managing owner).
6.1919: Sold to Arthur Jonckheere, London (Joseph A. Taylor, Fleetwood, manager).
30.6.1919: North Shields registry closed.
3.7.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD212).
1923: Sold to Alexander A. Davidson, Aberdeen (managing owner).
29.1.1923: Fleetwood registry closed.
22.2.1923: Registered at Aberdeen (A941).
4.2.1936: Sailed Aberdeen at 11.00 a.m for the fishing grounds (Sk. William W. Scarborough); eight crew.
5.2.1936: At 4.40 a.m. stopped in position Buchan Ness bearing NW by N five to six miles hauling gear. Skipper on deck assisting no one in wheelhouse. Observed vessel approaching, realised collision was imminent. Despite crew shouting, vessel was struck by GEORGETTE (A352) (Sk. John C. Summers) in after part of port bunker and again at port after gallows. Taking in water, crew abandoned in boat and stood off. Some 40 minutes later vessel foundered. Picked up by GEORGETTE and landed Aberdeen at 9.00 a.m.
10.2.1936: Aberdeen registry closed “Total loss 5.2.1936”.
3.4.1936: BoT formal investigation (No.S.378) at Sheriff Court, Aberdeen found Sk. John S. Summers (GEORGETTE) in grave default and suspended his ticket for 12 months for failing to set a proper look-out when handing over the watch; John C. Spence, 2nd Hand (GEORGETTE) in default, severely censured and ordered to pay £10 costs for leaving the bridge without informing the skipper or being properly relieved. Sk. William W. Scarborough was also found in default, severely censured and ordered to pay £15 costs for failing to sound his whistle and manoeuvre his engine in sufficient time to avoid a collision.
(Wreck lies 6 miles SE by S of Buchan Ness Light.)
03/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow and Peter Bell
Official Number: 122702
Yard Number: 344
Gross Tonnage: 228
Net Tonnage: 94
Length: 123.6 ft
Breadth: 22 ft
Depth: 11.5 ft
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
Engine: 480ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
19.7.1905: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.344) for Grimsby Victor Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby as St. GEORGE.
6.9.1905: Registered at Grimsby (GY83). Frederick Barter Coulson appointed manager.
9.9.1905: Completed (Matthew W. Jennison, manager).
19.9.1905: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to George William Ellis, Grimsby for the sum of £3000 with interest at 5% (A).
4.8.1908: George William Ellis died.
11.11.1908: Probate for will of George William Ellis granted to George Clapham & Joseph Hartcliffe Gibson, Grimsby (joint mortgagees).
21.4.1909: Mortgage (A) discharged.
21.4.1909: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to William Somerville Letten & George Somerville Letten, Grimsby for the sum of £2500 with interest at 51/2% (B).
2.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.688).
11.1915: Registered at Grimsby as LORD GEORGE (GY83) (BoT Minute 7058/1915).
1916: New boiler fitted – Palmers Shipbuilding & Iron Co Ltd, Jarrow.
14.1.1916: William Somerville Letten died.
5.2.1916: George Somerville Letten mortgagee (B).
21.7.1916: Mortgage (B) discharged.
27.11.1917: Sold to Ernest Taylor & Edward Walmsley, Fleetwood (joint owners).
30.11.1917: Joseph Allen Taylor appointed manager.
3.12.1917: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to London City & Midland Bank Ltd (C).
31.8.1918: Mortgage (C) discharged.
2.9.1918: Sold to Ernest Taylor & Noah Ashworth, Fleetwood (joint owners). Based Dover.
10.9.1918: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (D).
11.9.1918: Joseph Allen Taylor appointed manager.
11.1.1919: Ceased to be on hire and returned to owner at Fleetwood.
18.7.1919: Grimsby registry closed.
20.7.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD329).
3.1925: Mortgage (D) discharged.
1925: Sold to Italian owners in Naples.
1925: Re measured 229.87g 120.49n.
31.3.1925: Fleetwood registry closed.
10.8.1925: Sold to Mrs Laura Watson (64/64), Cleveleys (Kund Beugger, manager).
10.8.1925: Registered at Fleetwood as JOHN ERIK (FD52) (BoT Minute M/RG139998 Sep 1925).
12.1926: Sold to United Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
30.12.1926: Fleetwood registry closed.
3.1.1927: Registered at Grimsby (GY420).
3.1.1927: John Chesman appointed manager.
22.1.1927: Registered at Grimsby as CEDRIC (GY420) (BoT Minute M/R.G.1005/1927 dated 21.1.1927.
30.9.1931: William Thomas Moss appointed manager.
29.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.996) (Hire rate £57.10.0d/month).
15.12.1939: Based Lowestoft, patrol/lookout trawler.
19.1.1940-2.1940: At Lowestoft fitting out as a barrage balloon vessel.
5.1940-7.1940: At Hull fitting out as a barrage balloon vessel.
8.1940-10.1944: Based Scapa Flow.
10.1944: Not listed after this date.
31.1.1947: Sold to The Admiralty.
5.1947: Sold to J. R. Hepworth & Co (Hull) Ltd, Paull, for breaking up.
3.10.1947: Grimsby registry closed “… registry no longer required.”
Click to enlarge image
S.T. John Erik GY420
Picture from the Internet
26/12/2008: Page published. 6 updates since then.
27/11/2018: Image added.
27/04/2021: Updated history.
Official Number: 106764
Yard Number: 156
Gross Tonnage: 165
Net Tonnage: 64
Length: 104.2 ft
Breadth: 21 ft
Depth: 10.7 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Muir & Houston Ltd, Glasgow
Built: Mackie & Thomson, Govan, Glasgow
16.6.1897: Launched by Mackie & Thomson, Govan (Yd. No.156) for The Great Northern Steamship Fishing Co Ltd, Hull as EDDYSTONE.
8.1897: Completed (William R. Nowell, manager).
10.8.1897: Registered at Hull (H368).
14.10.1899: On a North Sea trip picked up twelve crew of herring lugger THOR abandoned.
1.1.1900: In dense fog off the Humber, in collision with Swedish steamer BALTZAR von PLATEN (713grt/1872). Sustained damage to stem and bow plating and flooded forepeak, run ashore at Spurn Point. Refloated, repaired and returned to service. Subsequently found to be at fault.
1914: Sold to Charles Curzon, Milford Haven.
31.1.1917: Sold to Ernest Taylor, Thornton (managing owner).
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
5.1920: Sold to Arthur Jonckheere, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
3.5.1920: Hull registry closed.
7.5.1920: Registered at Fleetwood (FD372).
14.5.1924: Sold to Sk. Alexander King (Cert.No.12767), Aberdeen (William Morley, manager).
1.9.1925: Sold to George Jackson Ward, Lytham (William Morley, manager).
7.1928: Sold to N.V. Vissch. Mij. Riew., Ymuiden (Erenst & Weimar, managers).
8.8.1928: Fleetwood registry closed.
8.1928: Renamed VOORWAARTS (IJM83).
1938: F. J. Erenst appointed manager.
1939: Sold for breaking up.
Click to enlarge image
S.T. Eddystone FD372
Picture courtesy of Peter Green
19/12/2008: Page published. 5 updates since then.