Tag Archives: Richard Leadbetter

s.v. Onward FD17

Technical

Official Number: 109668
Completed: 1899
Gross Tonnage: 45
Net Tonnage: 24
Length: 60.2 ft
Breadth: 17.0 ft
Depth: 9.0 ft
Rig: Ketch – trawling
Built: Nicholson & Marsh, Glasson Dock

History

1899: Completed by Nicholson & Marsh, Glasson Dock for Richard Leadbetter & Others, Fleetwood (William Leadbetter, 33 North Church Street, Fleetwood, managing owner) as ONWARD.
9.10.1899: Registered at Fleetwood (FD17).
17.7.1920: Fleetwood registry closed. Sold to foreigners (Belgian subjects).

Changelog
23/02/2009: Page published.
06/10/2015: Information updated.

s.v. Gratitude FD156

Technical

Official Number: 20851
Completed: 1858
Net tonnage: 20
Length: 61 ft
Breadth: 15.8 ft
Depth: 7.3 ft
Rig: Flat/Jigger smack – trawling
Built: William & Richard Ashburner, Barrow-in-Furness

History

1858: Completed by William & Richard Ashburner, Barrow-in-Furness as the trading flat GRATITUDE. Registered at Fleetwood.
1.1.1875: Owned by Richard Johnson, Fleetwood. Registered at Fleetwood (FD156).
1880: Lengthened at Freckleton to 61.2ft and re-rigged as a jigger smack for trawling 34n.
24.10.1887: Sold to Richard Leadbetter & P. Ball, Fleetwood.
1891: Owner Richard Leadbetter, Fleetwood.
Post 1891: Sold to Hugh Fletcher Hathorn, Wigtown. Fleetwood registry closed.
Registered at Wigtown.
17.5.1901: Registered at Fleetwood (FD53).
12.6.1906: Sold to John Whittaker, Fleetwood.
1906: Sold to Wlliam H. Tinnion, 13 Queen St, Whitehaven.
22.8.1906: Fleetwood registry closed. Registered at Whitehaven.
1910: Sold to John Boyd, Central Hotel, Duke St, Whitehaven.
1914: Sold to Miss Alice Pater, 31 Quay St, Whitehaven (Charles W. Pater, manager).
1926: Whitehaven registry closed.

Changelog
05/01/2009: Page published.
20/11/2014: Information updated.
25/11/2018: Information updated.

s.v. Confidence FD48

Technical

Official Number: 70167
Completed: 1874
Rig: Smack
Gross Tonnage: 37
Net Tonnage: 25
Length: 50.0 ft
Breadth: 16.3 ft
Depth: 9.0 ft
Rig: Smack – trawling & drifting
Built: Peter Rawstrone, Freckleton

History

1874: Launched by Peter Rawstrone, Freckleton for Richard Leadbetter, Fleetwood as CONFIDENCE.
21.7.1874: Appropriated.
8.8.1874: Registered at Fleetwood (FD121).
4.11.1875: At Whitehaven in company with AMETHYST (FD107), PETREL (FD59) and SPRAY (LR??). Attempted to leave harbour. Informed by Mr Dawson, collector of dues, that they could not leave until harbour dues paid. As they refused to pay the harbour tug was moored across the entrance to prevent them leaving. CONFIDENCE and PETREL skippers decided to pay, but AMETHYST and SPRAY continued their attempt to leave, one of the crew of SPRAY cut the tug’s head ropes and AMETHYST fell foul of the tug, smashing her boat. AMETHYST and SPRAY boarded by harbour master and mainsails confiscated.
6.11.1875: Skippers attended at the office of the solicitors to the Harbour Trustees and consented to pay all dues, damages and costs. Sails returned and allowed to sail.
1881: Census at Fleetwood – William Leadbetter (25), b-Fleetwood, fisherman master; Robert Y. Lemming (23), b-Preston, fisherman mate; John Salthouse (19), b-Fleetwood, fisherman; Richard Hughes (41), Liverpool, fisherman; Simeon Hughes (58), b-Tarleton, cook).
1899: Sold to Hugh F. Hathorn, Isle of Whithorn, Wigtown & other (Hugh F. Hathorn managing owner). Fleetwood registry closed. Registered at Whitehaven (1/1899).
5.2.1901: Sold to William Leadbetter, The Emporium, Fleetwood.
30.1.1901: Whitehaven registry closed.
5.2.1901: Registered at Fleetwood (FD48).
1919: William Leadbetter, 27 North Albert Street, Fleetwood.
1919: Sold for use as a houseboat.
23.2.1919: Fleetwood registry closed.

Changelog
05/01/2009: Page published. 2 updates since then.
25/11/2018: Information updated.
10/10/2021: Information updated.

s.v. Comet FD160

Technical

Official Number: 17226
Completed: 1882
Gross Tonnage: 28
Net Tonnage: 22
Length: 57.7 ft
Breadth: 14.4 ft
Depth: 7.1 ft
Rig: Yawl – Trawling
Built: ??, Fish House, Kircudbright

History

1843: Completed by ??, Fish House, Kirkudbright as COMET.
1853: Registered at Fleetwood (FD160).
1.1.1867: Owned by Hugh Ashcroft, Fleetwood.
1.1.1875: Owned by Thomas Smith, Fleetwood.
1.1.1880: Owned by James Billington, Preston.
1882: Sold to Richard Leadbetter, Fleetwood.
1882: Lengthened at Fleetwood.
20.10.1888: Sold to John Wright, Fleetwood.
1891: Richard Leadbetter, Fleetwood.
18.7.1903: Sold to ??. ??.
1908: Sold to Francis McCallig Snr, Ballysaggart, Dunkineely, Co. Donegal.
21.12.1908: Fleetwood registry closed. Registered at Sligo.
1912: Francis McCallig Snr, managing owner.
1919: Sligo registry closed.

Changelog
05/01/2009: Page published. 2 updates since then.