S.T. Darnett Ness H340
Admiralty Number: 4406
Official Number: 144519
Yard Number: 422
Gross Tonnage: 277
Net Tonnage: 109
Length: 125.5 ft
Breadth: 23.6 ft
Draught: 12.7 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Gauldie, Gillespie & Co Ltd, Glasgow
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley
Speed: 10.5 knots
15.8.1919: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.422) (“Castle” class) for The Admiralty as THOMAS BOUDIGE (Ad.No.4406).
17.8.1920: Completed as a fishing vessel.
24.8.1920: Registered by The Admiralty as a fishing vessel at London (LO445). Laid up at Brightlingsea.
28.12.1921: Sold to Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull (Walter Scott manager) after inspection at Brightlingsea by Capt. William John Lown & Lawrence Spring (directors). Purchased at asking price £7250 (Others inspected and purchased were DANIEL DICK, GEORGE CORTON, ISAAC ARTHAN, JOHN BROOKER & JOHN GRAHAM).
3.12.1921: London registry closed.
3.12.1921: Arrived Hull from Brightlingsea.
17.12.1921: Sailed from Hull on first trip.
21.12.1921: Registered at Hull (H340). Total cost including fit out and classification £8723.15.2d.
1.2.1922: Registered at Hull as JADE (H340).
12.5.1922: Arrived Hull in tow of tug BIDDY (114g/1914) having connected at the of the mouth of the Humber. Rudder was lost while 40 miles to the west of Orkney, jury rudder made from otterboards enabled her to steam 400 miles to the Humber.
3.6.1922: Sailed after having rudder replaced.
24.3.1925: John William Lown appointed manager.
19.10.1934: Sold to Trident Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull George Arthur Ledger, manager) (£4000).
23.11.1934: Registered at Hull as DARNETT NESS (H340).
8.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.542) (Hire rate £90.0.6d/month).
9.1939: Fitting out at Sheerness.
1940: Based Swansea on patrol & escort duties.
25.10.1944: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, manager) (£11750) (Trident Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull acquired by J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood).
3.9.1945: Returned after survey and restoration at Hull.
1946: Transferred to Fleetwood.
1956: Sold to Hammond Lane Foundry Ltd, Dublin for breaking up.
29.6.1956: Delivered Dublin from Fleetwood under own power.
11.9.1956: Hull registry closed “Broken up”.
Click to enlarge image