Official Number: 128944
Yard Number: 536
Gross Tonnage: 254
Net Tonnage: 100
Length: 125.0 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Draught: 12.3 ft
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank on Tees, Middlesbrough
Engine: 85hp T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Middlesbrough
2.8.1913: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank on Tees, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.536) for The Castle Steam Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Swansea (Crawford Heron, manager) as Amroth Castle.
5.9.1913: Registered at Swansea (SA8).
8.11.1913: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to De Eirste Rederlandsche Scheeps Verband Mastschappy, Dordrecht (A).
5.1915: Requisitioned for war service (Ad.No.2665). At Devonport fitted with 1-3pdr, W/T (Call sign XPG) and mine-sweep. Fitted as Leader. At Penzance.
1.1916: Allocated Unit No.61-Section A based Penzance (Sk. B. Bryant RNR).
2.1.1916-8.1.1916: Refit at Penzance. Relief SLEBECH (Ad.No.1758).
10.1916: Allocated Unit No.61 – Section A & B 3rd Division based Penzance (Sub Lieut. A. G. Sampson RNR).
1.10.1918: At Penzance F.C.T. Escort (Lieut. RNR).
9.10.1918: Sold to Consolidated Steam Fishing & Ice Co (Grimsby) Ltd, Grimsby (John D. Marsden, manager).
1919: Returned to owner at Milford Haven.
1.4.1919: Mortgage (A) discharged.
27.11.1923: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to London Joint City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (B).
29.6.1927: Owners re-styled Consolidated Fisheries Ltd (Sir John D. Marsden, manager).
25.6.1928: Off SW Ireland went to assistance of steam trawler MAGNOLIA (FD37) with propeller problems. Connected and commenced tow to Berehaven (Castletownbere), Co. Cork. MAGNOLIA foundered off Fastnet Rock and crew taken onboard and landed at Berehaven.
10.10.1933: Picked up two men from a motor yacht off Lundy Island which had been swamped and buffeted by violent weather.
Pre 4.1940: Employed on Fishery Protection.
11.6.1940: Requisitioned for war service as an auxiliary patrol vessel (1-12pdr) (P.No.4.120) (Hire rate £65.17.6d/month).
3.1941: Fitted out as a minesweeper.
15.5.1942: Mortgaged(B) discharged.
5.1942: Sold to The Hewett Fishing Co Ltd, London & Fleetwood (Robert H. Hewett, manager).
10.6.1942: Swansea registry closed.
12.6.1942: Registered at London (LO231).
5.1945: Returned and re-classed at Fleetwood.
1946: Registered at London as BRIDESMAID (LO231).
30.12.1948: Homeward from Icelandic grounds. In blizzard conditions, stranded on rocks off Port Askaig, Sound of Islay. Crew taken off by Islay lifeboat; vessel subsequently refloated by tug and returned to service.
1954: Robert S. Hewett appointed manager.
1959: Sold to Haulbowline Industries Ltd, Passage West, Cork for breaking up.
13.1.1960: Sailed Fleetwood for Cork.
15.1.1960: Delivered Passage West.
Notes: The fourth BRIDESMAID in the Short Blue fleet. The first two being sailing trawlers and the third a steam powered fish carrier operating North Sea – Billingsgate.
Click to enlarge images
21/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
10/06/2016: Picture added.
19/01/2017: Removed disputed image.
28/06/2019: Updated information.