Additional information courtesy of Mike Thompson
Official Number: 116071
Yard Number: 312
Gross Tonnage: 172.42
Net Tonnage: 63.16
Length: 108.4 ft
Breadth: 21.3 ft
Depth: 11.2 ft
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull (Beverley)
Engine: 240ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith, Hull
10.5.1902: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull (Beverley) (Yd.No.312) for Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd (64/64), Hull as CAIRO.
19.6.1902: Joseph Vivian appointed manager.
23.6.1902: Registered at Hull (H550).
19.12.1910: At Hull Magistrates Court, Richard Smith, Bosun, was fined £25.6.0d and six weeks imprisonment for damaging the winch losing three and a half days fishing at a cost of £30-£40 per day and repair at £5.6.0d.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 67.43 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
10.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper support vessel (1-6pdr) (Ad.No.635).
1916: Fitted out as a minesweeper. Based Stromness.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Hull.
13.5.1920: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The London County, Westminster & Parr’s Bank Ltd, London (A).
10.3.1923: Mortgagee restyled Westminster Bank Ltd, London.
14.10.1927: Mortgage (A) transferred to William Augustus Hayward, Eastbourne.
14.10.1927: Mortgage (A) transferred to Mercantile Marine Finance Corporation Ltd, London.
22.10.1928: Robert Burton appointed manager.
19.11.1930: Mortgage (A) discharged.
19.11.1930: Sold to Colin Henry Brand (64/64), Milford Haven.
24.11.1930: Colin Henry Brand designated managing owner.
27.12.1930: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Barclays Bank Ltd, London (B).
14.12.1937: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Robert Parcell Lewis, Fishguard for the sum of £312 with interest at 5% (C).
4.1938: Newspaper clipping: “ J. F. Gwyther has been favoured with instructions to offer for sale at the Conservative Club, on Friday 15th September, the steam trawlers ALONSO, CAIRO and GOZO. These ships are of the ex fleeter type, strongly built, and the class suitable for pareja (pair fishing, Spanish style).”
3.8.1938: Mortgage (B) discharged.
25.11.1938: Last landing at Milford. Laid up.
3.12.1938: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Ruth Brand, Johnston and Lilian Gertrude Brand, Burton (joint mortgagees) for the sum of £660 with interest at 5% (D).
7.7.1939: Colin H. Brand filed for bankruptcy.
7.10.1939: Mortgage (D) discharged.
12.10.1939: Sold by order of the mortgagee under mortgage (C) to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood.
30.10.1939: Basil Arthur Parkes, Thornton-le-Fylde appointed manager.
12.3.1941: Sold to Cairo Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Milford Haven.
22.5.1941: John Charles Llewellin appointed manager.
17.2.1945: Sold to Milford Fisheries Ltd (64/64), Milford Haven.
12.3.1945: Owen Willie Limbrick appointed manager.
12.10.1945: Sold to George Mitchell (64/64), Lowestoft.
25.10.1945: Hull registry closed.
25.10.1945: George Mitchell designated managing owner.
31.10.1945: Registered at Lowestoft (LT154).
25.6.1959: Last landing at Lowestoft.
11.1959: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up.
17.11.1959: Sailed Lowestoft for River Thames under own power.
18.11.1959: Berthed at Grays, Essex after suffering boiler problems in Thames estuary.
18.1.1960: Lowestoft registry closed.
Click to enlarge images
21/01/2009: Page published: 5 updates since then.
07/05/2014: Picture added.
05/08/2016: Significant information update.
25/02/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
20/10/2019: Updated information.