Tag Archives: Cevic SFC

S.T. Edouard Nierinck FD412

Additional information courtesy of Andy Hall and David Slinger

Technical

Admiralty Number 4484
Official Number 141961
Yard Number: 314
Completed: 1919
Gross Tonnage 276
Net Tonnage: 120
Length 125.4 ft
Breadth: 23.4 ft
Depth: 12.6 ft
Engine: 480ihp T.3-cyl by J. P. Rennoldson & Sons Ltd, South Shields
Built: J P Rennoldson, South Shields

History

1919: Launched by J. P. Rennoldson & Sons Ltd, South Shields (Yd.No.314)(“Castle” class) for The Admiralty as DANIEL DILLON (Ad.No.4484).
28.7.1919: Completed as a fishing vessel and sold to Soc. Anon-Delta, Ostend (J. Nierinck, manager). Renamed EDOUARD NIERINCK (O206).
1921: Fishing from Fleetwood.
1922: Sold to Jules H. Nierinck, Blackpool (managing owner).
5.10.1922: Registered at Fleetwood (FD412).
1924: Sold to Scarisbrick Steam Trawlers (Fleetwood) Ltd, Fleetwood (William W. Brierley, manager).
1924: Registered at Fleetwood as EDWARD WALMSLEY (FD412) (BoT Minute M/RG 1480/24).
18.10.1935: Off the Western Isles in very heavy weather (Sk. George Abram*) observed rockets and flares from a vessel in distress. Steamed towards vessel and found steam trawler DHOON (FD348) disabled with severe heavy weather damage.
20.10.1935: At 7.00am after almost twelve hours and many attempts, continuously swept by heavy seas, connected and proceeded for Fleetwood.
22.10.1935: At 4.20am. arrived Fleetwood after a very difficult 48 hour tow and delivered alongside at North End. Later landed 104 kits – 100 boxes 20 baskets, £359 gross.
30.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No. FY.624) (Hire rate £86.5.0d/month).
7.1946: Reclassed at Fleetwood and returned to owner.
27.9.1949: One of five trawlers that went aground in the Wyre Channel in thick fog when outward for the fishing grounds. Refloated next tide and proceeded.
12.10.1949: Landed 308 kits, £1460 gross.
1952: Sold to The Cevic Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Richard Neave, manager).
1958: Sold to Haulbowline Industries Ltd, Passage West, Co. Cork for breaking up.
24.11.1958: Sailed Fleetwood for Cork.
26.11.1958: Arrived Passage West.
(Daniel (David) Dillon, OS, age 35, b. Dublin – ROYAL SOVEREIGN (SB68?))

Note.

* 16.1.1935: Sk. George Abram presented with a Board of Trade silver bowl in recognition of the skilled seamanship and persistence shown in assisting the Dhoon).

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Edouard Nierinck FD412 as Edward Walmsley

S.T. Edward Walmsley FD412

S.T. Edward Walmsley FD412

S.T. Edward Walmsley FD412
Picture courtesy of Bill Blow

S.T. Edward Walmsley FD412

S.T. Edward Walmsley FD412
Picture courtesy of Billy Worrall

Changelog
23/01/2009: Page published. 5 updates since then.
01/07/2015: Picture added.
29/01/2016: Information updated.
25/04/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from images.

S.T. Cevic (1) FD133

Additional information : Dictionary of Shipwrecks off the Isle of Man ©Adrian Corkhill 2001

Technical

Official Number: 105911
Yard Number: 504
Completed: 1895
Gross Tonnage: 151
Net Tonnage: 59
Length: 106 ft
Breadth: 20.6 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Engine: 50RHP T.3-cyl by North Eastern Marine Engineering Co. Ltd. Sunderland.
Built: Edward Bros, North Shields

History

8.6.1895: Launched by Edwards Bros, North Shields (Yd.No.504) for John E. A. Kelsall, Fleetwood (managing owner) as CEVIC.
11.7.1895: Registered at Fleetwood (FD133).
7.1895: Completed.
1897: Sold to Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd, Manchester (John A. E. Kelsall & George Beeching, Fleetwood, managers).
1899: Transferred to Hull.
30.3.1899: Registered at Hull (H76).
12.5.1899: Fleetwood registry closed.
8.9.1911: Registered office transferred to Hull (George Beeching, Hull & John E. A. Kelsall, London, managers).
21.5.1913: Sold to George Clarkson, Fleetwood.
23.5.1913: Mortgaged to James Herbert Marr, Fleetwood (A).
23.5.1913: George Clarkson appointed manager.
8.7.1913: Sold to The Devon Steam Trawling Co, Fleetwood (George Clarkson, manager).
7.7.1913: Hull registry closed.
8.7.1913: Registered at Fleetwood (FD186).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 58.53 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
1916: James A. Robertson appointed manager.
3.1917: At Fleetwood. Fitted with Hotchkiss 6pdr gun (No.1857); compliment increased by two gunners.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
9.9.1918: Sold to Ernest Taylor & Noah Ashworth (joint owners), Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
1919: Released.
18.7.1924: Sold to The Cevic Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Charles H. Friswell manager.
1925: Richard Neave appointed manager.
25.6.1927: Anchored in Ramsey Bay for shelter in ‘boisterous’ weather, Skipper Dick Collinson and three crew ashore. Weather deteriorated unable to return.
26.6.1927: Punt laying astern started to ship water, 2nd Engineer boarded but punt caste adrift. With no officers onboard crew weighed anchor to recover boat, which unknown to them had drifted ashore. In strong NE wind abandoned search and came to anchor off Ballure, Ramsey South Beach but failed to hold and driven on to the bank at Granch, South of Ramsey pounding heavily. In response to flares Ramsey lifeboat MATTHEW SIMPSON launched and with difficulty took off crew of six .
6/7.1927: Vessel eventually driven ashore under cliffs and wedged in rocks with extensive damage to bottom and starboard side shell plating. Declared a total loss.
8.8.1927: Fleetwood registry closed. Some remains of vessel still visible.

(Crew – Sk. Richard Collinson; J. Bywater, Mate; E. Salthouse, Bosun; J. Hobbs, Ch.Eng; J. Dicks, 2nd Eng; J. Kitchen & J. Harrison, deckhands; T. Whiteside & W. Holden, apprentices; J. Simms, fireman & P. Corrigan, cook)

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Cevic FD186

S.T. Cevic FD186
Picture from the Internet

S.T. Cevic H76

S.T. Cevic H76
Picture courtesy of The James Cullen Collection

S.T. Cevic FD133

S.T. Cevic FD186

S.T. Cevic FD133

S.T. Cevic FD133

Changelog
14/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
25/03/2017: Removed disputed image and FMHT watermark.
18/03/2018: Image added.

S.T. Tranquil FD425

Technical

Official Number: 133406
Yard Number: 249
Completed: 1912
Gross Tonnage: 294
Net Tonnage: 131
Length: 130 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Engine: 87NHP T.3-cyl by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Speed: 10.5 knots
Armament: 1 x 12 pdr
Built: Cook Welton & Gemmell, Beverley

History

18.7.1912: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.249) for The Humber Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as GOOD LUCK.
3.10.1912: Registered at Hull (H497).
10.1912: Completed (Richard H. Hobbs, manager).
4.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr) (Ad.No.1342).
1917: Employed as an escort. Based Milford Haven.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Hull.
1919: Sold to Fresh Fish Supplies Ltd, Hull (Thomas Nightingale, manager).
5.1923: Sold to George Ashton, Wigan & James Welsh Ltd, Fleetwood.
11.5.1923: Hull registry closed.
17.5.1923: Registered at Fleetwood (FD425).
8.8.1923: Sold to Ashton & Welsh Ltd, Blackpool (James Welsh, Fleetwood, manager).
1924: Registered at Fleetwood as TRANQUIL (FD425).
Pre1927: Registered office transferred to Fleetwood.
11.5.1931: Responded to rockets from DAILY MAIL (FD100) stranded on rocks off Crammag Head, The Rinns of Galloway. With Portpatrick lifeboat stood by when she came afloat but grounded again on the north side of Portencorkie Bay, took off crew.
24.4.1935: Sold to John W. Welsh. Fleetwood.
23.7.1935: Sold to Endeavour Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (John W. Welsh & James Welsh, managers).
25.11.1937: Sold to The Cevic Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Charles H. Friswell, manager).
28.4.1940: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.920) (Hire rate £73.10.0d/month).
1942: Richard Neave appointed manager.
16.6.1942: Towing a barrage balloon ex Thames and involved in collision with s.s. DEAL (829grt /1928). Sank off The Downs, 5 miles SE of Goodwin Fork Buoy in position 51°13.08 N/01°27.51 E.
17.12.1945: Fleetwood registry closed.

Note: Became known as “The Balloon Wreck” because she sank with the balloon deployed and this still floated above the wreck site.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Good Luck H497

S.T. Good Luck H497
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection

S.T. Good Luck FD425

S.T. Tranquil FD425
Picture (as Good Luck) courtesy of Fred Baker

S.T. Tranquil FD425

S.T. Tranquil FD425
Picture courtesy of Fred Baker

Changelog
08/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.

S.T. Kirkella (1) H155

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow and Mike Thompson

Technical

Official Number: 164937
Yard Number: 1159
Completed: 1936
Gross Tonnage: 438
Net Tonnage: 172
Length: 157.3 ft
Breadth: 26.1 ft
Depth: 14.1 ft
Engine: 750ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby

History

21.5.1936: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.1159) for J. Marr & Son Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood at a cost of £15950 as KIRKELLA.
3.7.1936: Registered at Hull (H319).
4.7.1936: Completed (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, Cleveleys, manager). Crewed and operated by The City Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull.
8.7.1936: Sailed Hull on first trip to Iceland (Sk. S. Greaves).
29.7.1936: At Hull landed 1,114 kits grossed £1,102.
18.7.1939: Sailed Hull for White Sea (Sk. G. Barker).
25.7.1939: Insured value £23,000.
8.8.1939: At Hull landed 1,184 kits grossed £1,204.
14.8.1939: Sold to The Admiralty (£25,168). Fitted out as an anti-submarine trawler (1-4”, AA weapons, ASDIC) (P.No.FY.174).
19.1.1940: Hull registry closed.
20.10.1945: A Control Committee was formed to manage Hull and Grimsby trawlers which had been bought by the Admiralty in pre war and were being offered for sale back to their original owners. The owners who bought back these vessels and wanted to take part in the scheme agreed to register the trawlers under the Hull Ice Co. Ltd and profits were shared. Management of the trawlers was given to the companies which had bought them.
17.12.1945: On completion of refit at Ellesmere Port and classification as a Steam Trawler, sold to Hull Ice Co Ltd, Hull (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, manager).
17.12.1945: Registered at Hull (H155).
16.11.1946: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, Hull, manager) (£1).
17.12.1947 (regd 6.1.1948): Sold to Dinas Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood for £67500.
22.12.1948: Sold to Parkholme Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood for the sum of £73,500 . Harvey Wilfred Wilson appointed manager.
8.1.1949: Hull registry closed.
11.1.1949: Registered at Grimsby (GY592).
28.2.1949: Registered at Grimsby as MOORSOM (GY592) (MoT Minute R.G.No.1002/1949 dated 28 1.1949).
1951: Parkholme Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood in liquidation.
29.3.1951: Sold to Ravendale Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Grimsby for the sum of £50,000 (T. Ross Ltd to advance £16,000; Ross Group Ltd to advance £4,000 and Bank to advance £30,000).
29.3.1951: Harvey Wilfred Wilson appointed managers.
14.4.1951: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to National Provincial Bank Ltd, London (A).
23.2.1952: Mortgage (A) discharged.
7.3.1952: Sold to The Great Western Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Aberdeen.
19.3.1952: Basil Arthur Parkes, North Ferriby appointed manager.
29.3.1952: Registered at Grimsby as St. BENEDICT (GY592) (MoT Minute R.G.No.1078/52 dated 19.3.1952).
18.9.1952: Off the west coast of Norway in heavy seas, lost fires due to water ingress. Salvage steamer DRAUGEN (207grt/1898) connected and commenced tow to Unde, east of Aalesund.
19.9.1952: Delivered Unde.
1.12.1954: Sailed Hull for White Sea last trip before sale (Sk. H. Davis).
27.12.1954: At Hull landed 1,347 kits grossed £5,215.
4.1.1955: Sold to The Cevic Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood.
6.1.1955: Richard Neave appointed manager.
18.9.1956: Grimsby registry closed.
9.1956: Registered at Fleetwood (FD7).
1957: Registered at Fleetwood as RENEVA (FD7).
1960: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up.
7.7.1960: Sailed Fleetwood for Preston.
8.7.1960: Delivered Preston.
11.2.1962: Fleetwood registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Kirkella H155

S.T. Kirkella H155
Picture courtesy of The Mike Thompson Collection

S.T. Kirkella H155

S.T. Kirkella H155
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection

S.T. Kirkella H319

S.T. Kirkella H319
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection

S.T. Kirkella FY174

S.T. Kirkella FY174
Picture courtesy of The Osta Collection

S.T. Reneva FD7

S.T. Reneva
Picture from the Internet

S.T. Reneva FD71

S.T. Reneva FD71
Picture courtesy of Peter Green

S.T. Reneva FD7

S.T. Reneva FD7
Picture courtesy of The Greenday Collection (TPF)

Changelog
24/12/2008: Page published. 8 updates since then.
12/04/2015: Picture added.
09/06/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.

S.T. Sunrise FD28

Technical

Official Number: 98562
Yard Number: 173
Completed: 1891
Gross Tonnage: 167
Net Tonnage: 43
Length: 102.6 ft
Breadth: 20.7 ft
Depth: 11.3 ft
Engine: C.2-cyl and boiler by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Built: J. Duthie, Sons & Co, Aberdeen, 1891

History

7.1891: Launched by J. Duthie, Sons & Co, Aberdeen (Yd.No.173) for Peter Johnstone & David Sherrit, Nigg as SUNRISE.
3.7.1891: Registered at Aberdeen (A648). Peter Johnstone appointed managing owner.
7.1891: Completed.
25.12.1895: Put into Aberdeen and reported loss of five men in the severe gale of yesterday.
1.9.1909: Sold to Alfred John Freeth, North Shields (managing owner).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 64.03 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
14.6.1915: Sold to Robert & Joseph Moon, Aberdeen (joint owners).
4.12.1916: Sold to Thomas Main, Aberdeen (managing owner).
25.9.1917: Sold to Noah Ashworth & Cecil Whitaker Barratt , Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
15.3.1918: Sold to The Red Rose Steam Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
1919: Released.
26.2.1919: Aberdeen registry closed.
27.2.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD28).
1924: Sold to Cevic Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Charles H. Friswell, manager).
1930: Sold to Maurice Guillaume, Lorient.
14.1.1930: Fleetwood registry closed.
1.1930: Registered Lorient as MAURICE RENÉ.
1930: Lorient registry closed.
1930: Registered at St. Nazaire.
4.1.1939: At Lorient broke moorings, subsequently in collision and foundered. St. Nazaire registry closed.

Changelog
20/12/2008: Page published. 2 updates since then.
20/08/2016: Information added.