Tag Archives: Scarisbrick Steam Trawlers

S.T. Bush FD60

Technical

Official Number: 127416
Yard Number: 382
Completed: 1908
Gross Tonnage: 221
Net Tonnage: 85
Length: 120 ft
Breadth: 21.5 ft
Depth: 11.5 ft
Engine: 66HP T.3-cyl by W. V. V. Lidgerwood, Coatbridge
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields

History

10.6.1908: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.382) for Neyland Steam Trawling & Fishing Co, Neyland (Alexander Scott, Llanstadwell, manager) as BUSH.
7.1908: Completed.
25.7.1908: Registered at Milford (M227).
7.6.1911: Coaling at Neyland pontoon, struck amidships by CALDY (M228) sustaining damage.
5.1915: Requisitioned for war service as an armed trawler (1-12pdr) (Ad.No.2667). Based Aegean Sea.
1918: David G. Jones appointed manager.
24.2.1919: Sold to The Scarisbrick Steam Trawlers (Fleetwood) Ltd, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
3.3.1919: Milford registry closed.
5.3.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD60).
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner.
1920: Returned to owner at Neyland.
1924: William W. Brierley appointed managers.
1938: The Clifton Steam Trawlers Ltd appointed managers.
28.5.1940: Requisitioned for war service as an anti submarine trawler (P.No.NR) (Hire rate £55.10.0d/month).
5.1941: Employed on harbour defence patrol.
8.1943: Employed on miscellaneous duties (Liverpool & Glasgow Salvage Association, managers).
1944: Returned to owner.
1948: Sold to Dundee Fishing Co Ltd, Dundee (Cameron & McFarlane Ltd, managers).
1950: Sold to R. Fenton, Dundee. Fleetwood registry closed. Registered at Dundee as LYNN FENTON (DE24).
1954: Sold for breaking up.
Click to enlarge image

S.T. Bush FD60

S.T. Bush FD60
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
28/01/2009: Page published. 2 updates since then.
18/10/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.

S.T. Edouard Nierinck FD412

Additional information courtesy of Andy Hall and David Slinger

Technical

Admiralty Number 4484
Official Number 141961
Yard Number: 314
Completed: 1919
Gross Tonnage 276
Net Tonnage: 120
Length 125.4 ft
Breadth: 23.4 ft
Depth: 12.6 ft
Engine: 480ihp T.3-cyl by J. P. Rennoldson & Sons Ltd, South Shields
Built: J P Rennoldson, South Shields

History

1919: Launched by J. P. Rennoldson & Sons Ltd, South Shields (Yd.No.314)(“Castle” class) for The Admiralty as DANIEL DILLON (Ad.No.4484).
28.7.1919: Completed as a fishing vessel and sold to Soc. Anon-Delta, Ostend (J. Nierinck, manager). Renamed EDOUARD NIERINCK (O206).
1921: Fishing from Fleetwood.
1922: Sold to Jules H. Nierinck, Blackpool (managing owner).
5.10.1922: Registered at Fleetwood (FD412).
1924: Sold to Scarisbrick Steam Trawlers (Fleetwood) Ltd, Fleetwood (William W. Brierley, manager).
1924: Registered at Fleetwood as EDWARD WALMSLEY (FD412) (BoT Minute M/RG 1480/24).
18.10.1935: Off the Western Isles in very heavy weather (Sk. George Abram*) observed rockets and flares from a vessel in distress. Steamed towards vessel and found steam trawler DHOON (FD348) disabled with severe heavy weather damage.
20.10.1935: At 7.00am after almost twelve hours and many attempts, continuously swept by heavy seas, connected and proceeded for Fleetwood.
22.10.1935: At 4.20am. arrived Fleetwood after a very difficult 48 hour tow and delivered alongside at North End. Later landed 104 kits – 100 boxes 20 baskets, £359 gross.
30.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No. FY.624) (Hire rate £86.5.0d/month).
7.1946: Reclassed at Fleetwood and returned to owner.
27.9.1949: One of five trawlers that went aground in the Wyre Channel in thick fog when outward for the fishing grounds. Refloated next tide and proceeded.
12.10.1949: Landed 308 kits, £1460 gross.
1952: Sold to The Cevic Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Richard Neave, manager).
1958: Sold to Haulbowline Industries Ltd, Passage West, Co. Cork for breaking up.
24.11.1958: Sailed Fleetwood for Cork.
26.11.1958: Arrived Passage West.
(Daniel (David) Dillon, OS, age 35, b. Dublin – ROYAL SOVEREIGN (SB68?))

Note.

* 16.1.1935: Sk. George Abram presented with a Board of Trade silver bowl in recognition of the skilled seamanship and persistence shown in assisting the Dhoon).

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Edouard Nierinck FD412 as Edward Walmsley

S.T. Edward Walmsley FD412

S.T. Edward Walmsley FD412

S.T. Edward Walmsley FD412
Picture courtesy of Bill Blow

S.T. Edward Walmsley FD412

S.T. Edward Walmsley FD412
Picture courtesy of Billy Worrall

Changelog
23/01/2009: Page published. 5 updates since then.
01/07/2015: Picture added.
29/01/2016: Information updated.
25/04/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from images.

S.T. Urie FD163

Technical

Official Number: 139797
Yard Number: 529
Completed: 1917
Gross Tonnage: 226
Net Tonnage: 87
Length: 121 ft
Breadth: 22.2 ft
Depth: 12.1 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Built: A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

1q1917: Launched by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.529) for Richard Watson Lewis, Aberdeen as URIE.
4.1917: Completed (Richard W. Lewis, managing owner).
23.4.1917: Registered at Aberdeen (A754).
5.1917: Requisitioned for war service and fitted out for armed escort duties (Ad.No.1267). Based Harwich.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Aberdeen.
6.5.1919: Sold to The Scarisbrick Steam Trawlers (Fleetwood) Ltd, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
6.5.1919: Aberdeen registry closed.
8.5.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD163).
10.1924: Sold to Sam Robford & Co Ltd, London (Keith R. Hoare, Aberdeen, manager).
27.10.1924: Fleetwood registry closed.
5.11.1924: Registered at Aberdeen (A62).
28.1.1927: Sold to William Alexander Mackie, Torry, Aberdeen (managing owner).
14.10.1932: Sold to Andrew Lewis, Aberdeen (managing owner).
26.1.1933: Sold to North Eastern Fisheries Ltd, Aberdeen,
6.9.1933: Sold to Thomas L. Devlin & Sons, Granton (T. L. Devlin, manager).
30.9.1933: Aberdeen registry closed.
10.1933: Registered at Granton as CORIOLANUS (GN40).
24.8.1940: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.1948)(Hire rate £65.18.4d/month).
12.1940: Renamed CRAFTSMAN.
1942: Transferred to Thomas L. Devlin & Sons Ltd, Granton (T. L. Devlin, manager).
3.1944: Converted for dan laying duties.
10.1944: Returned and reverted to Coriolanus (GN40).
31.3.1948: When some 200 miles from Aberdeen, in very heavy weather and severe gale force winds started to take in water in engine room. Pumps were able to cope.
4.1960: Sold to BISCO and allocated to G. & W. Brunton, Grangemouth for breaking up.
29.4.1960: Delivered Grangemouth from Granton under own power. Granton registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Coriolanus GN40

S.T. Coriolanus GN40
© Reproduced with acknowledgement to the Shetland Museum & Archive and www.grantontrawlers.com

S.T. Coriolanus GN40

S.T. Coriolanus GN40
Picture courtesy of The Greenday Collection

Changelog
08/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
25/01/2015: Image added.
13/02/2015: Information updated.
04/09/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.

S.T. Monimia FD266

Additional information courtesy of Mike Thompson

Technical

Official Number: 160825
Yard Number: 515
Completed: 1929
Gross Tonnage: 374
Net Tonnage: 156
Length: 140.3 ft
Breadth: 24.6 ft
Depth: 13.3 ft
Engine: 96nhp T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Beverley
Speed: 10.9 knots

History

12.2.1929: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.515) for Henriksen & Co Ltd, Hull as MONIMIA.
13.3.1929: Registered at Hull (H43).
19.3.1929: Completed (Olaf H. Henriksen, Hessle, manager).
22.2.1931: At about 3.00 p.m. stood by Latvian steamer EVERLINE (3624grt/1899) adrift in violent snowstorm 3 miles N of Ramma Stacks, Shetland after dragging her anchor. Crew abandoned to Whalsay lifeboat; placed salvage crew onboard.
8.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.677) (Hire rate £176.1.10d/month).
30.1.1942: Based Lowestoft (Lieut. H. G. Attenborough RNVR). Engaged German aircraft which subsequently crashed into the sea.
30.5.1946: Returned after survey and restoration at Blyth.
11.2.1947: Stranded on rocks at Sandnessjøen, Norway during a snow storm. Although precariously perched on the rocks the weather remained calm and she was refloated. Returned Hull for permanent repairs. Subsequently difficult to crew in Hull and this was probably the main reason for sale to Fleetwood.
14.2.1948: Sold to Scarisbrick Steam Trawlers (Fleetwood) Ltd, Fleetwood (The Clifton Steam Trawlers Ltd, managers).
2.1948: Hull registry closed. Registered at Fleetwood (FD266).
1.12.1953: In response to broadcast steamed to assist VELIA (FD 116) in search for survivors from HILDINA (H222) which had capsized in approximate position 59.48N 5.14W, 50 miles N by W1/2W of Sule Skerry having come fast and broached. At 10. 16 am.VELIA proceeded to Stornoway with ten survivors. In deteriorating weather conditions continued search in company with MARGARET WICKS (FD265) until 1.37 pm. but no further survivors found although wreckage was sighted.
1956: Sold to B. J. Nijkerk S.A., Antwerp for breaking up.
24.5.1956: Sailed Fleetwood for Antwerp.
1957: Breaking up completed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Monimia H43

S.T. Monimia H43
Picture from the Internet

S.T. Monimia H43

S.T. Monimia H43
Picture courtesy of The James Cullen Collection

S.T. Monimia FD266

S.T. Monimia FD266
Picture courtesy of The Anton Ramfjord Collection

S.T. Monimia FD266

S.T. Monimia FD266
Picture courtesy of The Anton Ramfjord Collection

S.T. Monimia H43

S.T. Monimia H43
Picture from the Internet

S.T. Monimia H43

S.T. Monimia H43
Picture courtesy of The Barry Banham Maritime Photo Collection

S.T. Monimia FD266

S.T. Monimia FD266
Picture courtesy of The Fred Baker Collection

S.T. Monimia FD266
Picture courtesy of The David Buckley Collection

Changelog
27/12/2008: Page published. 7 updates since then.
19/10/2018: Removed FMHT watermarks and added an image.
06/05/2019: Added an image.
12/05/2019: Added an image.
07/06/2019: Added an image.

S.T. Envoy FD23

Technical

Official Number: 102948
Yard Number: 86
Completed: 1894
Gross Tonnage: 156
Net Tonnage: 59
Length: 103.7 ft
Breadth: 20.5 ft
Depth: 10.7 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Muir & Houston, Glasgow
Built: Mackie & Thomson, Govan

History

2.5.1894: Launched by Mackie & Thomson, Govan (Yd.No.86) for Gt. Northern Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull as ENVOY.
19.5.1894: Registered at Hull (H248).
5.1894: Completed.
11.1912: Sold to Thomas Lauder, Aberdeen (managing owner).
28.11.1912: Hull registry closed.
3.12.1912: Registered at Aberdeen (A507).
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
1919: Released.
1919: Sold to Scarisbrick Steam Trawlers (Fleetwood) Ltd, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
26.2.1919: Aberdeen registry closed.
27.2.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD23).
1920: Sold to Sidney M. Cannon, Aberdeen (Horace E. Stroud, manager).
14.2.1920: Fleetwood registry closed.
17.2.1920: Registered at Aberdeen (A283).
1924: Sold for breaking up.
26.9.1924: Aberdeen registry closed “Broken up”.

Changelog
19/12/2008: Page published. 2 updates since then.