S.T. Kirkella (1) H155

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow and Mike Thompson

Technical

Official Number: 164937
Yard Number: 1159
Completed: 1936
Gross Tonnage: 438
Net Tonnage: 172
Length: 157.3 ft
Breadth: 26.1 ft
Depth: 14.1 ft
Engine: 750ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby

History

21.5.1936: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.1159) for J. Marr & Son Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood at a cost of £15950 as KIRKELLA.
3.7.1936: Registered at Hull (H319).
4.7.1936: Completed (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, Cleveleys, manager). Crewed and operated by The City Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull.
8.7.1936: Sailed Hull on first trip to Iceland (Sk. S. Greaves).
29.7.1936: At Hull landed 1,114 kits grossed £1,102.
18.7.1939: Sailed Hull for White Sea (Sk. G. Barker).
25.7.1939: Insured value £23,000.
8.8.1939: At Hull landed 1,184 kits grossed £1,204.
14.8.1939: Sold to The Admiralty (£25,168). Fitted out as an anti-submarine trawler (1-4”, AA weapons, ASDIC) (P.No.FY.174).
19.1.1940: Hull registry closed.
20.10.1945: A Control Committee was formed to manage Hull and Grimsby trawlers which had been bought by the Admiralty in pre war and were being offered for sale back to their original owners. The owners who bought back these vessels and wanted to take part in the scheme agreed to register the trawlers under the Hull Ice Co. Ltd and profits were shared. Management of the trawlers was given to the companies which had bought them.
17.12.1945: On completion of refit at Ellesmere Port and classification as a Steam Trawler, sold to Hull Ice Co Ltd, Hull (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, manager).
17.12.1945: Registered at Hull (H155).
16.11.1946: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, Hull, manager) (£1).
17.12.1947 (regd 6.1.1948): Sold to Dinas Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood for £67500.
22.12.1948: Sold to Parkholme Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood for the sum of £73,500 . Harvey Wilfred Wilson appointed manager.
8.1.1949: Hull registry closed.
11.1.1949: Registered at Grimsby (GY592).
28.2.1949: Registered at Grimsby as MOORSOM (GY592) (MoT Minute R.G.No.1002/1949 dated 28 1.1949).
1951: Parkholme Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood in liquidation.
29.3.1951: Sold to Ravendale Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Grimsby for the sum of £50,000 (T. Ross Ltd to advance £16,000; Ross Group Ltd to advance £4,000 and Bank to advance £30,000).
29.3.1951: Harvey Wilfred Wilson appointed managers.
14.4.1951: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to National Provincial Bank Ltd, London (A).
23.2.1952: Mortgage (A) discharged.
7.3.1952: Sold to The Great Western Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Aberdeen.
19.3.1952: Basil Arthur Parkes, North Ferriby appointed manager.
29.3.1952: Registered at Grimsby as St. BENEDICT (GY592) (MoT Minute R.G.No.1078/52 dated 19.3.1952).
18.9.1952: Off the west coast of Norway in heavy seas, lost fires due to water ingress. Salvage steamer DRAUGEN (207grt/1898) connected and commenced tow to Unde, east of Aalesund.
19.9.1952: Delivered Unde.
1.12.1954: Sailed Hull for White Sea last trip before sale (Sk. H. Davis).
27.12.1954: At Hull landed 1,347 kits grossed £5,215.
4.1.1955: Sold to The Cevic Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood.
6.1.1955: Richard Neave appointed manager.
18.9.1956: Grimsby registry closed.
9.1956: Registered at Fleetwood (FD7).
1957: Registered at Fleetwood as RENEVA (FD7).
1960: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up.
7.7.1960: Sailed Fleetwood for Preston.
8.7.1960: Delivered Preston.
11.2.1962: Fleetwood registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Kirkella H155

S.T. Kirkella H155
Picture courtesy of The Mike Thompson Collection

S.T. Kirkella H155

S.T. Kirkella H155
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection

S.T. Kirkella H319

S.T. Kirkella H319
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection

S.T. Kirkella FY174

S.T. Kirkella FY174
Picture courtesy of The Osta Collection

S.T. Reneva FD7

S.T. Reneva
Picture from the Internet

S.T. Reneva FD71

S.T. Reneva FD71
Picture courtesy of Peter Green

S.T. Reneva FD7

S.T. Reneva FD7
Picture courtesy of The Greenday Collection (TPF)

Changelog
24/12/2008: Page published. 8 updates since then.
12/04/2015: Picture added.
09/06/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.